Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I feel really really bad for Hunter and everyone that just returned to WWE thinking it would be better.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
wrestling fandom: you know for one whole week in 2023 wrestling has been cool and non-carny
vince:

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
vince-mc-mahon.gif

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Please continue, I will happily enjoy the spectacle of this whole thing burning down

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I haven't watched since the attitude era, so... please excuse my ignorance. But since he left, has it been doing good and he's coming back to sell it because he's salty it's doing fine without him?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Ah cool so I have even less reasons to watch than I already did.

Next you'll tell me that he wants to rehire Velveteen Dream.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Yeah, nobody within WWE would ok this and this also would put TV deals in danger. His daughter will make sure he won't step foot in the HQ again.

I mean, why do you want to come back anyway? Hunter has already planted his people all over the company, there's nothing for you at WWE anymore. As soon as Regal's named VP, it's a done deal. It's cerebral assassin's kingdom now.

Vince is majority stock owner. He has controlling interest regardless of what anyone else says.

Wait, I haven't watched since the attitude era, so... please excuse my ignorance. But since he left, has it been doing good and he's coming back to sell it because he's salty it's doing fine without him?

This is 100% the reason.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
It just depends on who he sells it to, no?

He could always pull a "I'm not giving up my power now that I'm back" move, but he's even too stupid to realize him back as Chairman could potentially harm and lower their value for their TV renewal rights and possible buyers. He's actively hurting his own pocket by voting himself back in power.

Of course NBC Universal could be salivating at buying the WWE at a lower price now.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If WWE gets sold to a different company, doesn't that mean that talent have to (get to) renegotiate their contracts? Everybody get together and go to... AEW? Yay?

Oct 28, 2017
Brian Roberts gonna buy them and put RAW AND SMACKDOWN on Peacock, It's no coincidence that WrestleMania is coming to Philly next year.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Vince is majority stock owner. He has controlling interest regardless of what anyone else says.
Except her daughter, who probably was the one who convinced him to go. She'll fight back, even if she fails, she'll make sure the company is owned by an institution that's familiar with WWE, most likely Comcast/NBC.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
If WWE gets sold to a different company, doesn't that mean that talent have to (get to) renegotiate their contracts? Everybody get together and go to... AEW? Yay?
No, if WWE gets sold to a different company, the company buys WWE and all their contracts and brands as they buy it all in one go. The WCW situation was a bit special because sWCW wrestlers were under contract with TBS, and WWE only bought the WCW brand and intellectual properties, and then decided not to get all wrestlers under contract (with the non picked wrestlers still under contract by TBS).

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
No, if WWE gets sold to a different company, the company buys WWE and all their contracts and brands as they buy it all in one go. The WCW situation was a bit special because sWCW wrestlers were under contract with TBS, and WWE only bought the WCW brand and intellectual properties, and then decided not to get all wrestlers under contract (with the non picked wrestlers still under contract by TBS).
Didn't they try to get Ric Flair and Goldberg? Turner refused to sell the contracts and WWE waited until the contracts are done, signed both at the first opportunity.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The TLDR from this article is that Vince is basically trying to do a coup to get himself back in power but the board is resisting it, and Vince is holding rights deals as leverage.

So he's not actually back, he's just trying to go public with his deal

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they try to get Ric Flair and Goldberg? Turner refused to sell the contracts and WWE waited until the contracts are done, signed both at the first opportunity.
Turner didnt refuse to sell the contracts. WWE refused to pay the contracts because they were too expensive and tried to renegotiate with some of the big WCW stars to come for a cheaper price. All (except for DDP, Bagwell and Booker T) decided to sit down with their big fat guaranteed contracts during the duration of it. Which I mean, getting paid big bucks without having to perform wrestling is a good thing.
At that time the heads of AOL didnt give a shit about wrestling (hence selling the entire library of WCW and all the affiliated stuff for a ridiculously low price), so refusing to get rid of expensive stars that wouldnt be used at all would be stupid.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
The TLDR from this article is that Vince is basically trying to do a coup to get himself back in power but the board is resisting it, and Vince is holding rights deals as leverage.

So he's not actually back, he's just trying to go public with his deal
Yup, and the kicker here is that him openly admitting this is some Lionel Hutz level malpractice from his legal team. Because if TV rights deals are jeopardized because of this, then Vince opens himself up to a pretty nasty lawsuit and other potential actions. Which could result in him being forced into divesting his stocks.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, and the kicker here is that him openly admitting this is some Lionel Hutz level malpractice from his legal team. Because if TV rights deals are jeopardized because of this, then Vince opens himself up to a pretty nasty lawsuit and other potential actions.
Yeah this is likely going to end with the WWE board suing Vince and Vince potentially taking an L because he's essentially just trying to blackmail the company

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
This was "when", not "if".

Vince practically said "...over my dead body!" when it came to selling the kingdom.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Turner didnt refuse to sell the contracts. WWE refused to pay the contracts because they were too expensive and tried to renegotiate with some of the big WCW stars to come for a cheaper price. All (except for DDP) decided to sit down with their big fat guaranteed contracts during the duration of it.
At that time the heads of AOL didnt give a shit about wrestling (hence selling the entire library of WCW and all the affiliated stuff for a ridiculously low price), so refusing to get rid of expensive stars that wouldnt be used at all would be stupid.
That's interesting. Turner didn't refused to sell but they also didn't release the stars from their contracts. Stars like Flair, Sting and Goldberg still got their checks from Turner while doing nothing.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah this is likely going to end with the WWE board suing Vince and Vince potentially taking an L because he's essentially just trying to blackmail the company
I don't think it's "potentially", I think pretty much a fact if the board sues Vince, he will lose. Him not having the minority stockholders best interest at heart is a textbook case of minority shareholder oppression.

Normally I would be like "well this person is rich so they are above the law" but Vince is making the mistake of fucking with other rich peoples money as well.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. Turner didn't refused to sell but they also didn't release the stars from their contracts. Stars like Flair, Sting and Goldberg still got their checks from Turner while doing nothing.
Most big WCW stars had basically fully guaranteed contracts (with extras from appearances and merchandising). Even if they got fired Turner would need to pay the guaranteed part out. The guaranteed part was more than whatever WWE wanted to pay them, so they decided "lol no".
WWE has always tried to avoid that because they are cheap bastards and want to keep a position of strenght where they can easily fire wrestlers as they arent "true" employees but independent workers (they are true employees).

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017

Vince McMahon Takes Actions in Support of Plan for WWE to Undertake a Review of Strategic Alternatives and Capture Unique Opportunity to Maximize Long-term Value for All Shareholders

/PRNewswire/ -- Vince McMahon, the founder and controlling shareholder of World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. ("WWE" or the "Company") (NYSE: WWE), announced...

"WWE is entering a critical juncture in its history with the upcoming media rights negotiations coinciding with increased industry-wide demand for quality content and live events and with more companies seeking to own the intellectual property on their platforms," said Mr. McMahon. "The only way for WWE to fully capitalize on this opportunity is for me to return as Executive Chairman and support the management team in the negotiations for our media rights and to combine that with a review of strategic alternatives. My return will allow WWE, as well as any transaction counterparties, to engage in these processes knowing they will have the support of the controlling shareholder."

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's "potentially", I think pretty much a fact if the board sues Vince, he will lose. Him not having the minority stockholders best interest at heart is a textbook case of minority shareholder oppression.

Normally I would be like "well this person is rich so they are above the law" but Vince is making the mistake of fucking with other rich peoples money as well.

Can Vince's side argue that selling the company is actually in everyone's best interest?

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Can Vince's side argue that selling the company is actually in everyone's best interest?
Depends. Because the problem is that Vince is a liar, and would need to actually sell the company. Because as it stands, it's pretty fucking telling that everyone both in and around the business thinks he's lying and is just using that as an excuse to get full control of the company back. Him bringing back some yes-men/women or attempting to doesn't paint a picture of a man who wants to sell the company. Especially when he fired Barrios and Wilson a couple of years ago for "being bad at their jobs".

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if Vince succeed in forcing his way back, he is going to do a clean up again. A talent exodus is a plus in his eyes to remove payroll and some more geeks.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Seems weird to bring back the two people that he fired and replaced with Nick Khan.

Guess that means he isn't a "Vince guy" anymore.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I feel like he's legitimately not looking for creative control of the product like he says in the release. He just wants to be in the room whenever a TV deal/sale comes online.