• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't have the money to complete with XGP. That straight up a fact
Pretty much.

Game pass putting this kind of pressure on Sony is something I love to see. I already think ps+ is great value (erm, except this month hah), but bring us something to rival game pass and I'll be all over it (and I don't even need 1st party stuff there day one, that's not why I have an xbox and game pass anyway, MS 1P stuff mostly ain't my bag - but deals to get stuff like Outriders and a ton indies day one and it works out for me). PS Now, xbox streaming - you can keep all that guff, -zero- interest.
If you look forward to seeing another $1T company use Sony as a way to buy into the space, sure.

But the only pressure Game Pass puts on Sony is a clock for how soon until their business model is no longer viable. It doesn't pressure Sony to respond with a similar service because they can't and stay viable financially.

ok? So they should give up?
Yes.

They should maximize profits in the short term to reach the biggest market cap possible, then shatter Sony into about four pieces, selling each to the highest bidder. They can probably hit something close to $200B by then, and would likely net a total purchase closer to $300B by flipping Interactive Entertainment to Amazon/Google, Sony Pictures to Netflix/Apple, Electronics to Samsung/LG/other mid-tier manufacturer who wants to cache of Sony on their high end sets, and Sony Music to whomever wants to instantly be the power player in music licensing (I think Apple would splash the pot beyond all comprehension on that one).

Make the bonus checks for the next 3-5 years, pump the stock, pull the rip cord before the generation after this one starts and let the major executives and shareholders walk away multi-billionaires.

Doubtful. As sony themselves have said it doesnt make sense to put a 100m budget game onto a subscription service. Plus it would probably make the $70 price point look even worse for them
$100M games on a service like that can work when they're the flagship and you're doing one or two a year to drive that home.

Sony's big "win" in first party sales really emerged from them getting out of the holiday window that the third parties live in with their major titles and instead focused on building a strong Q1-Q3 strategy with the Q4 first party games being market differentiators (family friend games for example, or GT as racing games aren't a major third party product now).

This gave their IPs room to breathe, but its also turned into a financial strategy where they book big first party sales revenue in Q1-Q3 and big third party revenue in Q4, resulting in strong cashflow across the year.

GamePass devalues that model into just getting the monthly sub money and as long as you're feeding content of any kind, first or third party, reliably enough to foster growth/achieve retention it doesn't matter. And MS has proven that content doesn't need to be a God of War/The Last of Us level blockbuster. It can very much be built on a lot more of the B and C tier games.

I say that in terms of mass market appeal BTW, not quality. A game like Outriders is a B tier game in terms of mass market appeal at retail. It'd sell a couple million units and come and go without much fanfare. It can't justify a $100M budget, but 4 of those in a year is probably a better Game Pass lineup than 2 of Sony's big first party blockbusters.

Sony spent the last 10 years building the model that won the PS4 generation handily, while MS has spent the last 3 years building a model that will likely prevent Sony's model from being market viable by the end of this generation.

I don't see why you wouldn't bundle PSNOW in with a PSPSS. Xbox has done it and it's surprisingly good. Let the market decide if Sony can compete for rentals.
Because Sony can't support it.

PSNow already has some level of server throttling. Sony already struggles on download speeds. They aren't big enough to grow internal data center footprint fast enough to complete and they can't compete financially by paying for data center time, especially when the major options in that space have their own competing products within video games (MS, Amazon, Google).

There are paths for Sony out there, but none are Sony staying the same company it is today and thinking they'll thrive against a $1T giant in the video game space. They need to either roadmap to an incredibly lucrative sell-off or start down the path of a merger with a synergistic fortune 100 company to get big enough to push back.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I mean i don't really care much for Jaffe but is it really that hard to believe the guy has Sony connections and people that tell him stuff?
I don't get the "oh this guy is the source lol" comments

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think that a dedicated service like this coming from Sony would feel like too little too late. Microsoft has extremely deep pockets and is willing to sacrifice a lot of money to get more users onto the service, which I'm really not sure Sony can match. Feels like they would've done it already if they wanted to.

I also don't know that Sony needs a counter to Game Pass. They can continue with their exclusive-first strategy, and a huge portion of the market will just follow along because that's what they've done the past several years.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe Mr. Jaffe, but I think Sony will build something to combat GP.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still can see it being 2 tiered like EA Play is on PC, one tier gets a library + discount, the other gets the first tier + day 1 releases.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If there were such a thing, it would look a bit odd it Sony didn't put their games there on release. Not just because Microsoft does it, but EA and Ubisoft too with their services.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been surprised otherwise. Whether it'll come to fruition or have the exact same business model remains to be seen, but they have to at least be talking about it and working on something.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Jaffe can be weird on YouTube (he has gone full YouTube with those clickbait videos lol, good way to make money though.)

But he does know what he is talking about in terms of Sony. He still knows people.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
The only time I want to hear from David jaffe ever again is whenever he thinks a game sucks, because it's almost assuredly rad at that point. Dude has awful taste.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
they can't compete financially by paying for data center time, especially when the major options in that space have their own competing products within video games (MS, Amazon, Google).
That's interesting. I would have thought they could compete with PSNOW by hosting it on Azure. Stadia is being wound down, and Amazon games are non-existent. Apple is'nt exactly what i'd call a major player in the AAA games industry. What makes you think Sony couldn't compete with Xbox in the cloud streaming space?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Imagine writing a news story based on the warblings of Jaffe.

I'd tell you to go look at his Youtube channel, but I wouldn't want you to give him the clicks.

I know what you mean. But is it hard to believe he has people at sony that could tell him about this happening?
it's hardly surprising. Just that.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Yep. It was obvious that after Sony planned to shutter the PS3 and PSVita stores making it impossible to purchase older Playstation games, that they would either try and resell them on the PS4 or PS5 stores, or even better for profits; release a "Play Pass" for $10 a month that shuffles around random old games every few months.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Without Day 1 first party it can't compete.

My guess it will just give you a discount on first party games back to the $60 or maybe lower.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Pretty much.

If you look forward to seeing another $1T company use Sony as a way to buy into the space, sure.

But the only pressure Game Pass puts on Sony is a clock for how soon until their business model is no longer viable. It doesn't pressure Sony to respond with a similar service because they can't and stay viable financially.

Yes.

They should maximize profits in the short term to reach the biggest market cap possible, then shatter Sony into about four pieces, selling each to the highest bidder. They can probably hit something close to $200B by then, and would likely net a total purchase closer to $300B by flipping Interactive Entertainment to Amazon/Google, Sony Pictures to Netflix/Apple, Electronics to Samsung/LG/other mid-tier manufacturer who wants to cache of Sony on their high end sets, and Sony Music to whomever wants to instantly be the power player in music licensing (I think Apple would splash the pot beyond all comprehension on that one).

Make the bonus checks for the next 3-5 years, pump the stock, pull the rip cord before the generation after this one starts and let the major executives and shareholders walk away multi-billionaires.

$100M games on a service like that can work when they're the flagship and you're doing one or two a year to drive that home.

Sony's big "win" in first party sales really emerged from them getting out of the holiday window that the third parties live in with their major titles and instead focused on building a strong Q1-Q3 strategy with the Q4 first party games being market differentiators (family friend games for example, or GT as racing games aren't a major third party product now).

This gave their IPs room to breathe, but its also turned into a financial strategy where they book big first party sales revenue in Q1-Q3 and big third party revenue in Q4, resulting in strong cashflow across the year.

GamePass devalues that model into just getting the monthly sub money and as long as you're feeding content of any kind, first or third party, reliably enough to foster growth/achieve retention it doesn't matter. And MS has proven that content doesn't need to be a God of War/The Last of Us level blockbuster. It can very much be built on a lot more of the B and C tier games.

I say that in terms of mass market appeal BTW, not quality. A game like Outriders is a B tier game in terms of mass market appeal at retail. It'd sell a couple million units and come and go without much fanfare. It can't justify a $100M budget, but 4 of those in a year is probably a better Game Pass lineup than 2 of Sony's big first party blockbusters.

Sony spent the last 10 years building the model that won the PS4 generation handily, while MS has spent the last 3 years building a model that will likely prevent Sony's model from being market viable by the end of this generation.

PSNow already has some level of server throttling. Sony already struggles on download speeds. They aren't big enough to grow internal data center footprint fast enough to complete and they can't compete financially by paying for data center time, especially when the major options in that space have their own competing products within video games (MS, Amazon, Google).

There are paths for Sony out there, but none are Sony staying the same company it is today and thinking they'll thrive against a $1T giant in the video game space. They need to either roadmap to an incredibly lucrative sell-off or start down the path of a merger with a synergistic fortune 100 company to get big enough to push back.

So, Sony is doomed within the generation and you recommend they should break the company up into smaller pieces and sell it while they still can.

And all this is because of ... Game Pass.

This may be the worst gaming-side take of 2021.

EDIT: If this is copypasta from the old site, I really fell for it.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
PSNow: Am I nothing to you?

Honestly, I still see this as being the answer, just by putting a lot more content on it, including PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, and marketing it more.

So, Sony is doomed within the generation and you recommend they should break the company up into smaller pieces and sell it while they still can.

And all this is because of ... Game Pass.

This may be the worst gaming-side take of 2021.

It's definitely fucking up there.

MS: Here is Game Pass.
Sony: I guess we'll fold while we're on top, now.

Feb 8, 2018
meh... The traditional way of buying games still is the way to go for me. Just like I avoid going digital only. Sure you win with a subscription service but that doesn't mean the other opportunities shouldn't be there.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Game Pass allows you to stream too. That's the point of all the "available on Android" badges they have been putting on all their new game announcements.

I'm not talking about on android though. PlayStation Now you can stream all the games on the system itself.
Can you stream all Gamepass games on Xbox if you don't want to download them?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
They should maximize profits in the short term to reach the biggest market cap possible, then shatter Sony into about four pieces, selling each to the highest bidder. They need to either roadmap to an incredibly lucrative sell-off or start down the path of a merger with a synergistic fortune 100 company to get big enough to push back.
Is this the new Nintendoomed?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
2128715-56486313545.gif

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I think they'll definitely try down the road but I think they'll undercook it relative to what Game Pass is.

Unless push comes to shove I just don't see them giving up that first party software revenue.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Pretty much.

Yes.

You're gonna get some flack for those opinions but the writing is pretty clearly on the wall. The only question is how long it takes. I'm really surprised it's taken MS this long to start leaning into Sony like this but it's not surprising to see it. MS has way too much money and good leadership now and this is the natural evolution on their business model and it's clearly showing it works. I'd honestly be surprised to see Sony in the gaming space as a hardware maker 10 years from now, at least with their current model. Something's gotta change for them long term and unfortunately there's not many avenues for them to follow that don't lead to a competitor owning that space. This will be a very interesting next 10 years.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Sony just allow PS3 game downloads on PS Now then add the PS Classic from PS3 on it then add more PS2 games... all for download and not just streaming... PS Now then becomes that counterpunch.

josiah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it be nice if you had some small budget studios and eastern studios that would be a great fit for new Playstation pass content.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I still see this as being the answer, just by putting a lot more content on it, including PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, and marketing it more.
You think that putting PS1, PS2 and PS3 games unaltered is going to compete with MS' 23 Studios putting new games out day one? really?

It's definitely fucking up there.

MS: Here is Game Pass.
Sony: I guess we'll fold while we're on top, now.

I agree with you on shaking your head at the Sony doom and gloom since they are, with tent-pole releases, is still miles away. Having said that, it's why MS started playing a different game and went down the Netflix path

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't really need confirmation this needs to happen period.
Merge PS+ and PSNow and go from there.. First party titles day one, and stop being laser focused on AAA only.
Go back to basics and offer the smaller experiences as well.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
PSNow is pretty good, they honestly just need to invest more in it. It took so long to add downloadable PS4 games that prospective subscribers still get confused about the streaming aspect of it. it MIGHT be worthwhile to rename it( but i'm not really sure if necessary.
Have the existing streaming, more downloadable first party games (and longer availability times), and yes maybe raise the annual price a bit to offset these additions.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony just allow PS3 game downloads on PS Now then add the PS Classic from PS3 on it then add more PS2 games... all for download and not just streaming... PS Now then becomes that counterpunch.

Without releasing their new first party titles on the service ? Nah I wouldn't subscribe and I don't think any of my hard core Sony fans would either. Knowing Sony too. PS1-PS3 games will all be run the same as they were on those systems with no BC enhancement either then what's the point ?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The difference between their current offerings and game pass is kind of more of degree than kind. They change the marketing and add more games and they're basically at parity, no? I say this as an outsider who is mostly in Nintendo/PC ecosystems, but I do own a ps4.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
You think that putting PS1, PS2 and PS3 games unaltered is going to compete with MS' 23 Studios putting new games out day one? really?

I agree with you on shaking your head at the Sony doom and gloom since they are, with tent-pole releases, is still miles away. Having said that, it's why MS started playing a different game and went down the Netflix path

Not saying it will immediately compete, but it will definitely help fill out PSNow and start making it a bit more worthwhile, at least for older games. While I don't think day 1 games will on PS Now, I think if a Sony published/backed game shows up on the console, I could see they release it on PS Now 3 or 6 months after release, which would give PS an ample window to get the initial sales out of the way, make most of the profit and then get more people to subscribe when it shows up PS Now. That's how I would see it. This is going by if Sony doesn't do day 1 stuff on PS Now.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I mean you sound like you're pretty entrenched in the Xbox ecosystem anyway, so it doesn't sound like Sony could offer you anything that you couldn't get from Xbox anyway.

I am but I still have my PS5 for exclusives. So if the service has those, that'll scratch my Sony itch. If they had the same 3rd parties I'll probably pick it up on XSX because I like the controller better.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
www.resetera.com

David Jaffe says the PS5 Reveal is less than 4 weeks away.

Feb. Just like we all assumed, but this to me is as close to confirmation as you'll get without an actual confirmation.
www.resetera.com

David Jaffe- AAA games are dying (creatively speaking)

Summary: Jaffe compares Uncharted 1 versus Uncharted 4 using two areas each. A climbing sequence in Uncharted and a climbing sequence in Uncharted 4. The other comparison is a shooting setpiece. He then says he loves ND and they have great execution, but he's not singling them out. He's just...
www.resetera.com

David Jaffe's public antic over the last day is rather embarassing

So long story short, David Jaffe (ex game director for God of War PS2) posted a screencap where he publicly dissed an indie Steam game (that has many positive reviews) while requesting a refund and saying that the reviewers were trolling. When the reviewers and the developer call him out he...

Jaffe says a lot of things.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah with Xbox including MLB The Show on Gamepass it's now getting hard to argue that PlayStation can't do something similar.

Hopefully if they do launch a service it includes new releases and not just backwards compatible games from past generations.

It's not about can't to me. It's more about Microsoft/Xbox stopped what they were doing and aligned the entirety of Xbox behind one purpose Gamepass. I don't think sony/playstation is willing or capable of doing that. They could produce the tent pole games but they don't have the capability to produce the minutia between the tent pole titles. They don't have systems that work together well. Sony is and always has been a hardware company first and it shows. Microsoft is a software company first and it shows as the underlying architecture is just better. You can see it audio codecs, the hoops Sony had to go through to get name change support, how cloud saves work, and teh hoops you have to go through to transfer saves. The fact they haven't figured out backwards compatiblity yet for ps3.

The other issue is financial ability. They just don't have the same financial resources to carry out a service like this. Sony as a whole only had a net income of 5 billion dollars. if you are wanting day and date content from big publishers that by itself is going to cost billions. Plus Sony doesn't own its own data centers. They rent them. Xbox pays nothing basically as Microsoft runs data centers all over the world. Sony would need to pay Microsoft, Google or Amazon so that would also cut into the profitability.

Sony's best play in my opinion is just to keep doing what you are doing as it will still be a fine business. Longterm you may not be the market leader anymore if you extrapolate out 10 years. But it's still a fine business.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Finally, I can get every new last of us and remake day 1 for a nominal monthly fee

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
That's interesting. I would have thought they could compete with PSNOW by hosting it on Azure. Stadia is being wound down, and Amazon games are non-existent. Apple is'nt exactly what i'd call a major player in the AAA games industry. What makes you think Sony couldn't compete with Xbox in the cloud streaming space?

The main point is that Microsoft can host their gaming stuff internally on the massive infrastructure they already separately own and run (Azure), at much lower cost than a third party can (such as Sony). This substantially changes the acceptable cost structure of the services. It's a huge competitive advantage for Microsoft.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The Jaffe hate is real...personally always liked him and fail to understand why you guys would doubt that someone that worked at sony for 14 years at a very high level wouldnt retain connections.....also for people saying, "oh that god of war creator"...yeah i mean.... Love him or hate him, Jaffe did create gow

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah with Xbox including MLB The Show on Gamepass it's now getting hard to argue that PlayStation can't do something similar.

Hopefully if they do launch a service it includes new releases and not just backwards compatible games from past generations.
It's not going to have new release. Sony profitable games are mostly single player games that sell a lot.

Does it make sense to put the next God of War or Horizon day one, when everyone knows it will sell millions of copies first week.

Sucks I hope am wrong. I would rather pay a sub fee beat the game and save myself $70 but I know it's not happening so I ain't losing sleep.

Y'all need to understand this, when's the last time Microsoft released a beloved single player IP thats sells millions first week.If Halo was doing 10 million sales in first week yet only a month doubt it be on gamepass day 1 that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
If it's not comparable to GP with day one releases for some third and all first party games along with day one PC releases, then I doubt it changes much.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Well, at this stage it's not just putting first party titles at launch and a curated selection of good games, but AAA third titles too.
A subscription will all the sony's first party (permanently) would be nice, even if are not on release.