Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Do they say it was from the American side in the video? I can't watch it at work but the article doesn't say anything about that.
That's what the eyewitness said in the video, yes. I still think it is possible that he saw an unrelated car speeding towards the bridge, and that an entirely different car exploded. Although, he says someone told him the car that was speeding was Bentley, and the wheel you see on an exploded car photo does seem like it could be a Bentley wheel.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
PP already calling it a terrorist attack, despite no one knowing what happened or the motivations. Gotta keep that base spooked.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Do they say it was from the American side in the video? I can't watch it at work but the article doesn't say anything about that.

Yeah, summarizing but the video is a guy saying he was walking down Main St. in Niagara Falls USA when a car went by them towards the bridge going about 100 miles an hour, hit an embankment and flew up into the air, and then he saw a fireball.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Millions of car collisions occur in the US alone every year, cars do not explode like that by themselves in any of them. Gas burns, but it's pretty hard to generate force from igniting it

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
No explosives in the vehicle would mean the damage in the photographs was caused by the sheer kinetic energy of a car traveling at very high speeds into a hard barrier.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A car going 100mph would make sense to have that type of damage given no explosives apparently seem to be involved. Still going to have to get to the bottom of why someone thought it necessary to ram the crossing like that.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Millions of car collisions occur in the US alone every year, cars do not explode like that by themselves in any of them. Gas burns, but it's pretty hard to generate force from igniting it

Vehicle collisions have caused explosions. It's not common, and it's dramatically exaggerated in the media, but with enough heat and pressure it's definitely possible.

I don't know what the Niagara Falls truck was carrying, but here's an example of a petroleum tanker exploding after rear-ending another truck and catching fire.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPthZO0fCLg

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
Smuggler freaking out or more likely a medical incident while driving.

RIP to those who lost their lives.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
apnews.com

AP source: 2 people in vehicle that exploded at NY/Canada border crossing declared dead at scene

A law enforcement official says two people were found dead in a vehicle that exploded at a checkpoint on the American side of a U.S.-Canada bridge in Niagara Falls.
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (AP) — Two people were found dead in a vehicle that exploded at a checkpoint on the American side of a U.S.-Canada bridge in Niagara Falls Wednesday, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press.
The official was not authorized to discuss details of the investigation publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.
-------------------

Speaking to WGRZ-TV, Mike Guenther said he saw a vehicle speeding toward the crossing from the U.S. side of the border when it swerved to avoid another car, crashed into a fence and exploded.
"All of a sudden he went up in the air and then it was a ball of fire like 30 or 40 feet high," Guenther told the station. "I never saw anything like it."

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There is supposed footage of the collision and explosion out there but I don't want to post it. If it's real I feel like that's about what a car hitting a barricade at 100mph would look like. But there is just so much misinformation out there right now on this.

Yeda Anna

Alt-Account
Banned
May 22, 2023
So much confusion, some report claiming car was coming from USA side, and some claiming from Canadian side. No explosive found at scene but can't explain this much damage without an explosive.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So much confusion, some report claiming car was coming from USA side, and some claiming from Canadian side. No explosive found at scene but can't explain this much damage without an explosive.
A car going at an excessive rate of speed colliding with a concrete and metal fixed object will get demolished like that. I've seen too many car wrecks in person and on the news to to think the opposite, especially if the car was going as fast they've said it was going.

Oct 25, 2017
There is supposed footage of the collision and explosion out there but I don't want to post it. If it's real I feel like that's about what a car hitting a barricade at 100mph would look like. But there is just so much misinformation out there right now on this.

Does the location of the video match the pictures that show the aftermath? If so, I'd think its legit, don't think there is any other incidents at the boarder like this the video could be from. Trying to find the video myself, but don't see it anywhere I normally look.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
dont underestimate symbolic stuff

It's also had a pretty dramatic practical effect- border crossings and traffic checkpoints are already chaos because of this.

And just saw as I was typing this Grym posted that the Buffalo airport is closed to international flights.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, a high rate of speed ramming into a security pylon/bollard will absolutely demolish most cars dramatically.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Does the location of the video match the pictures that show the aftermath? If so, I'd think its legit, don't think there is any other incidents at the boarder like this the video could be from. Trying to find the video myself, but don't see it anywhere I normally look.
I'm gonna post it but with a huge disclaimer that it's unverified

Potential but unconfirmed footage of car explosion

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
My dad just texted the family group chat about this "car bomb explosion" thirty minutes after it was said to not involve explosives lmao.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of cars do just evaporate if they go airborne at a high rate of speed tbh.

Easy to understand why people might think explosives were involved.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna post it but with a huge disclaimer that it's unverified

Potential but unconfirmed footage of car explosion

That seems to match this video here of the aftermath show from a window in the building above. Looks like the same cars in the parking lot,

EDIT: This video I linked in spoiler in the aftermath has been show on CNN, so I think its pretty save to say the video of the explosion itself is most likely also real.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A car going that fast will practically disintegrate when hitting a concrete barrier. Flames could have been a propane tank, or they just filled their tank with cheaper US gas before heading across the border.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
More photographs - spoilers due to potential for human remains

6000.jpg

F_jx1AVWwAAgma3

Yeah that's not a car fire

thats what happens when you deep fry your turkey in a car

Dude, come on

cosmod

Feb 24, 2018
I guess it's in mainstream media's nature to make shit up when something horrible happens. Terrorism, explosive device possibly found, being stopped and moved to secondary inspection?

View: https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1727411047403774116

Obviously the coming hours and days will allow real investigators to piece together the puzzle, but it's looking like a extremely high speed collision with a border checkpoint barrier, ending with a car split and half and a gasoline ignition.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That new video of the car going airborne sure is something. It also confirms the car was initially speeding down a local street.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, my current read is that somebody had something in their car that they shouldn't have, was transferred to secondary, panicked, and rabbited into an immovable object.

Hopefully that's the reality. Fuck Poilievre for immediately jumping to terrorism, even if it does turn out that that was the case. We don't need panicky morons like that in charge.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
That seems to match this video here of the aftermath show from a window in the building above. Looks like the same cars in the parking lot,

EDIT: This video I linked in spoiler in the aftermath has been show on CNN, so I think its pretty save to say the video of the explosion itself is most likely also real.

Really does look more like a fireball from ignited fuel than an intentional explosion. And the reported speed would explain the large area of debris.