• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I guess it's my fault for assuming Nintendo was going to focus development efforts on the Switch thus covering both the handheld and console side.

What reality are you living in? Nintendo focus is still entirely on the switch. Just because they had a handful of 3DS/Mobile titles doesnt change all the investment and attention they directed to the Switch first and foremost. You people are being more than unreasonable now. Are you going to start riots because nintendo dared to release the nes/snes classic and not put ALL THAT MARKETING EFFORT ON THE SWITCH OH MY GOD as well?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's my fault for assuming Nintendo was going to focus development efforts on the Switch thus covering both the handheld and console side. Honestly I thought it was kind of the point from their perspective. I certainly didn't think a new WarioWare would come out at this point and be 3DS exclusive. Sucks because I love that franchise but I'm not about to get another 3DS to play it.
Yes it is your fault. Nintendo never said anything and have said they would continue supporting the 3DS since the Switch was announced. They're also just not going to stop selling a budget device with a huge library they still want people to buy just because there's another, more expensive device that serves a similar purpose. None of this should be a surprise to anyone but instead "lol 3DS is dead" became a meme then became basically misinformation based on nothing but "feelings".

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
I guess it's my fault for assuming Nintendo was going to focus development efforts on the Switch thus covering both the handheld and console side. Honestly I thought it was kind of the point from their perspective. I certainly didn't think a new WarioWare would come out at this point and be 3DS exclusive. Sucks because I love that franchise but I'm not about to get another 3DS to play it
I mean, look at their last direct.
https://youtu.be/NsFna-Z1MjU

34min. 6min dedicated to the 3DS.
-A collection (Wario Ware)
-eShop exclusive game (Dillon)
-port of a (very good) DS game reusing existing assets/engine (M&L) for 2019
-a late localization (Detective Pikachu)
-port of a NGC game reusing existing assets/engine again (Luigi's Mansion)

All of these games were already in production for months too.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, the source is the article, unless you're going to say that the reason the 3DS is getting some semblance of support, despite these games routinely bombing, is something other than the thesis of the article. Essentially, you're not providing anything to the discussion by saying "Yeah, well, you can't prove that!" No fucking shit, but it's still the most likely possibility given the data we have, and also what this thread is about, so why are you bothering to argue it without a better alternative?

Again, I asked you for your source that the Switch is getting a price drop early next year. And that Nintendo will drop support for the 3DS once that happens. I reread the article and found these quotes:
"Second, Nintendo's already outlined the reasons it plans to support the Nintendo 3DS into "2019 and beyond.""

And,

"The Switch is $299 USD without a game, and that number goes up exponentially outside the United States (it's $379 in Canada). That price isn't dropping anytime soon, but the 3DS has a whole line of differently-priced models and several pack-in game options."

What am I missing, other than your expletive filled defensiveness?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Again, I asked you for your source that the Switch is getting a price drop early next year. And that Nintendo will drop support for the 3DS once that happens. I reread the article and found these quotes:
"Second, Nintendo's already outlined the reasons it plans to support the Nintendo 3DS into "2019 and beyond.""

And,

"The Switch is $299 USD without a game, and that number goes up exponentially outside the United States (it's $379 in Canada). That price isn't dropping anytime soon, but the 3DS has a whole line of differently-priced models and several pack-in game options."

What am I missing, other than your expletive filled defensiveness?
Every piece of gaming hardware in the history of video games has dropped in price with time. I had presumed that your point of contention was my suggestion that the 3DS was still being supported because it's a budget option. No, your point of contention is the far more illogical stance of "who says the Switch will get a price drop?"

Fun fact: The last time a system took more than 1.5 years to get a price cut was the Wii, which took nearly three years to see it's first price cut. That is actually the only time that a price cut took so long to happen in video game history.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I have no problem with Nintendo supporting the 3DS this late into its life at all. They've provided a ton of content to the Switch and the ONLY thing I might begrudge them is that they didn't explore a port of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia to the platform after it became clear that Fire Emblem: Three Houses would be delayed through mid-2019.

Third parties, on the other hand... especially ones like Atlus who have released nothing on Switch and have nothing announced for Switch aside from SMTV (which seems destined for 2020)... well, I think the public anxiety is a little more well-founded. At least Sega proper is bringing Valkyria Chronicles 4 to the platform.

For what it's worth, I'm not exactly starved for Switch titles to play but the folks for whom the word "indie" is a dirty word seem restless.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every piece of gaming hardware in the history of video games has dropped in price with time. I had presumed that your point of contention was my suggestion that the 3DS was still being supported because it's a budget option. No, your point of contention is the far more illogical stance of "who says the Switch will get a price drop?"

Fun fact: The last time a system took more than 1.5 years to get a price cut was the Wii, which took nearly three years to see it's first price cut. That is actually the only time that a price cut took so long to happen in video game history.

You are seriously overthinking this. I just asked for your source. No point in going around in circles anymore - I'm out!

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Finally, suggesting Nintendo ought to drop a very inexpensive system to pour everything it has into an expensive system is—well, it's classist. The Switch is $299 USD without a game, and that number goes up exponentially outside the United States (it's $379 in Canada). That price isn't dropping anytime soon, but the 3DS has a whole line of differently-priced models and several pack-in game options. But Nintendo and Atlus' ongoing 3DS support means the handheld's more than a budget-priced has-been for low-income families.

LOL what? That's absurd.

I still like my 3DS a lot but Switch is where most enthusiasts spend their time. Of course they're going to be vocal about wanting games on it.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I think something to remember is that we're not living in the pre-Internet, pre-digital era any more - publishers aren't churning out vast print runs of 3DS games that they're having to bury in the desert, they're printing limited runs to fill demand that they can accurately predict, knowing that there's still the eShop when physical copies run dry, where they can even run price promotions later on etc. In the UK, most of these late Atlas games are going out of print very quickly, yet they must be profitable otherwise they would release them digital-only or not at all. I sincerely doubt 3DS sales figures are raising any executive eyebrows.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, I'd like one more solid push of Virtual Console stuff before Nintendo abandons the platform entirely. Mother 3 and Pokemon Gen 3 would be great send offs.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I think it only looks bad because all the screenshots are blown up with all the aliasing it entails but on my original 3.5 inch screen it looks fine, hell some games look great.
Another problem imo is that people take the XL versions as the standard they're measuring the resolution on. But we have to remember that the XL models never represented the intended ppi / sharpness of the screens in the first place - the original 3.5" did. And those really do look fine enough with 240p.
The 4.8" XL displays though ... yeah, not all that pretty. If my eyesight wasn't as bad as it is, I'd probably prefer the smaller 3DS models to the XL ones just because of the higher pixel density the displays have.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
You see, when you say that things like comfort are the reason why you aren't buying Wario Ware, but there's a system out there that fixes the comfort issue and more, that just sounds like an excuse.

It's fine to say that you don't like to play on 3DS and that's why you won't be getting Wario Ware, but going from that to saying that 3DS shouldn't get Wario Ware just because you aren't playing on the system is self-entitled and ridiculous. It's basically the same argument that Schreier was making and it doesn't get any better when people repeat it.

You are using me to make a point even though my statements don't fit that. Stop it. I never said 3DS should not have gotten the game at all, wtf is this shit? I explicitly said that I get it, there are reasons to bring it to the 3DS. But this won't make me, yes me, and many others to play the game.

You also still keep on pushing on the comfort part while it was one of several reasons I named and STILL act as if you didn't get the context it was posted in, which is the existence of a hardware I prefer in all of the points I named for not wanting to play on 3DS anymore.

Also, your suggestion that I should buy my 3rd revision of a system I won't play anymore just to maybe eliminate one of several reasons why I don't play it anymore is getting laughably silly. What makes you think that'll be worth it for me?

Stop twisting my comments.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but the fact that Atlus games are still profitable on the 3DS matters little. They'd still be profitable on the Switch (maybe even more-so), and they'd look and sound better, which is what fans should want.

The whole map thing is a silly point, too. Is it nice to always have the map screen up? Sure. Is it that much of an annoyance to have to press a button to switch to a map screen? I sure don't think so.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The whole map thing is a silly point, too. Is it nice to always have the map screen up? Sure. Is it that much of an annoyance to have to press a button to switch to a map screen? I sure don't think so.

A significant proportion of the gameplay gimmick for etrian Odyssey and by extension persona q2 is the map design.

Relegating it to a button as something you occasionally look at is doing the series a serious disservice. It's definitely among the games that benefit the most from the dual screen setup in existence.

Even if it wasn't, some team from a different part of atlus' was never going to be the ones to redesign the etrian Odyssey teams systems to work on a single screen. Q2 was always going to be a 3ds game.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sorry, but the fact that Atlus games are still profitable on the 3DS matters little. They'd still be profitable on the Switch (maybe even more-so), and they'd look and sound better, which is what fans should want.

They'd also take much longer as they'd have to build an engine from scratch (which is what they are doing now).

It's not just whether the map screen is always up or not, it's also the precision of elegantly drawing walls and adding dozens of icons on a large grid with a stylus rather than trying to do so with your finger, or worse, on the TV, with a joystick or a D-pad. That's the immediacy of cartography and the stylus being evocative of a pen that is a major selling point of the series.

Sure, we could have a 'zoom in' function and a map screen, and add button commands to add icons and walls etc, but at that point we're now two steps removed. I'm sure they'll figure it out for the Switch games, but there's a reason they didn't switch (sorry) development of PQ2 or EOX over halfway through.

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Ancient hardwares should be buried for evolution sake. If Nintendo wants to release their games on more than one console, at least do a new one.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Ancient hardwares should be buried for evolution sake. If Nintendo wants to release their games on more than one console, at least do a new one.

When the 3DS successor is eventually announced, it will melt Era.

But all we have now are hints. That new hardware isn't here, the 3DS platfrom and its latest revision of just over a year old, New 2DS XL, are here. Why wouldn't Nintendo support this platform right now? They're able to add millions of software sales into their total by keeping the support going.

Back when Nintendo released 3DS and Wii U so close to each other, that was a mistake. They were still trying to turn 3DS around and get more support for it when they already needed to be doing that with Wii U. In the end they turned around the 3DS, but at the cost of not being able to do the same for Wii U. It makes sense to space hardware launches further from each other and give them some breathing room.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm so over Switch fans just discovering consoles normally keep getting releases years after their successors have been released.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Wario Ware is basically a completely new game, Dillon is a retail title in Japan and Europe, Detective Pikachu was expanded to a full size game and yes of course they were already a long way into production by then. They're not just going to slap on a 15 second teaser video for a logo and then not announce anything for over a year, are they? It would be really disappointing if they ever did something like that.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

My point was more about this game. I didn't think a new WarioWare game would come out and be exclusive to 3DS at this point in the Switch's life. A more ambitious title that started dev before the release of the Switch? Sure, I would expect that. But I figured a WarioWare game would at least release on both 3DS and Switch. Again, as stated in the opening of my other post, I blame myself for these assumptions.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I'm loving that some of the WWG microgames use both screens for gameplay. As in what you do on the bottom screen affects the top, or that during gameplay you move up/down between the screens. You're not getting that on other systems an heck, barely got it on DS/3DS in the first place. Really makes me wish a Kirby game had used both screens like that, sorta how Triple Deluxe had its foreground/background stuff but instead it'd be upper/lower screens affecting one another.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Realistically how much support will Nintendo give 3DS in 2019?

Once Switch does see a price drop that will cut into the argument of still supporting the 3DS.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
I don't have a 3DS but I see no issues with it being supported. Let the market speak. Companies will know when it's time to move on.

On a side note, I'm surprised that the Switch shipped without a microphone. I would understand the absence of a camera, but a microphone seems too basic to cut. Oh well, they might put one when/if they release JoyCon+

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
Wario Ware is basically a completely new game, Dillon is a retail title in Japan and Europe, Detective Pikachu was expanded to a full size game and yes of course they were already a long way into production by then.
There's new boss/minigames but if you played the different games you already know a good portion of the levels it seems (Cf Gamekult). From what I've read, ~60 microgames on the 300 a available are new ? I don't think compilation/best-of are pejorative words. Especially if it's your first Wario game. They should do more projects like that.
That's interesting for Dillon, I wasn't aware of the retail version. A little surprised by the lack of a US version, a shame that they didn't really give a chance to the IP.

They're not just going to slap on a 15 second teaser video for a logo and then not announce anything for over a year, are they? It would be really disappointing if they ever did something like that.
For "low budget" softwares, it would definitely be sad. For flagship titles, it's a bit different. Most of the time, I guess it's a way to reassure the players: "Yes, our big IPs are coming to this new hardware, please be patient". But that's just my interpretation !

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
There's new boss/minigames but if you played the different games you already know a good portion of the levels it seems (Cf Gamekult). From what I've read, ~60 microgames on the 300 a available are new ? I don't think compilation/best-of are pejorative words. Especially if it's your first Wario game. They should do more projects like that.

I haven't looked at the number of microgames, but they go from "This feels completely new" to "They changed this a lot" to "Oh this has slightly sharper graphics". The fact is, it's not a compilation. It's a completely new game with new story, new setting, new bonuses, and using new microgames and a lot of hugely revamped microgames from the old titles, and then some that are mostly the same.

For me a compilation would be something where you could play the actual original titles or microgames. Think something like Mega Man Legacy Collection but for Wario Ware.

For "low budget" softwares, it would definitely be sad. For flagship titles, it's a bit different. Most of the time, I guess it's a way to reassure the players: "Yes, our big IPs are coming to this new hardware, please be patient". But that's just my interpretation !

Having a 15 second logo teaser and then having no news at all even a year later while your system has a bad game drought is always sad, no matter the size of the IP.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much all of their HD projects have been time consuming and expensive. There's too much risk involved compared to developing on 3DS and it's why their console games so far have been either main games in popular franchises (Persona 5, SMT V) a test game (Catherine) and a collaboration with Nintendo (TMS) No way in hell we would've gotten their 3DS output elsewhere.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
I haven't looked at the number of microgames, but they go from "This feels completely new" to "They changed this a lot" to "Oh this has slightly sharper graphics". The fact is, it's not a compilation. It's a completely new game with new story, new setting, new bonuses, and using new microgames and a lot of hugely revamped microgames from the old titles, and then some that are mostly the same.
That's the general feeling I had after reading the reviews (I used the word compilation because I saw it a lot). Some reviewers are explaining that the microgames are indeed upgraded and feel new thanks to that, others thinks the experience is still too familiar. But as always with reviews, it depends of the person behind.
For me a compilation would be something where you could play the actual original titles or microgames. Think something like Mega Man Legacy Collection but for Wario Ware.
The problem is, Nintendo used the term in the Direct... But for me, they didn't talk enough about the new additions they made to refresh the microgames.
Having a 15 second logo teaser and then having no news at all even a year later while your system has a bad game drought is always sad, no matter the size of the IP.
Tbf it feels like they did the announcements to limit potential backslashs (FE Switch after the reveal of Echoes, Metroid Prime before Samus Returns). But then we got the Pokemon Direct and a nice shitstorm for one week :p

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there is a reason. No shit. But the reason sucks for the people (including me) who would rather all their resources to be on the switch.

But yeah, i dont need an article to explain massive userbase+cheap hardware to buy in 2018=easy $ for N.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I want them to stop supporting it so I can buy one on the cheap to play the 3D Outrun that's on it. God damn it.

Cyberhaven

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Not a fan of 3DS now that switch is out. Developers are putting their games on switch in the future instead of 3DS like SMTV, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Pokemon, etc. and that's something I'm looking forward to. Not to mention octopath could've been a 3DS game and sold a lot on the switch, so Square Enix is preparing future JRPG's on the system which is great.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I want them to stop supporting it so I can buy one on the cheap to play the 3D Outrun that's on it. God damn it.

A 2DS is super cheap. Get a Mario Kart 7 bundle plus Outrun = racing gaming bliss.

That's the general feeling I had after reading the reviews (I used the word compilation because I saw it a lot). Some reviewers are explaining that the microgames are indeed upgraded and feel new thanks to that, others thinks the experience is still too familiar. But as always with reviews, it depends of the person behind.

The problem is, Nintendo used the term in the Direct... But for me, they didn't talk enough about the new additions they made to refresh the microgames.

Yeah some reviewers didn't put enough time into the game or weren't familiar with the Wario Ware series to make a reasonable call of how much new stuff there is in the game.

And it looks like even Nintendo couldn't properly communicate what Wario Ware Gold is in the short time that they allotted to it in the Direct. The only way to really grasp how much stuff there is in the game and how high the quality is is by playing it yourself. Basically Wario Ware Gold should have gotten a mini Direct of its own.

Tbf it feels like they did the announcements to limit potential backslashs (FE Switch after the reveal of Echoes, Metroid Prime before Samus Returns). But then we got the Pokemon Direct and a nice shitstorm for one week :p

That FE thing was another botched reveal by Nintendo... announced with barely a logo way back in the beginning of 2017, and then there was absolutely nothing before E3 this year... even this summer, before E3, there were some people who genuinely believed it would be coming this year. I can't help but feel that this is a scummy way from Nintendo to generate good PR with titles that are still a very long way off.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017

Yeah Nintendo totally botched it. I had only played Twisted! before Gold an that game has alot of returning microgames from Inc. either revamped for twist controls or straight normally controlled ports. I just figure WarioWare games largely borrow & build upon one another so calling the latest one a compilation may as well being calling previous ones compilations also.