• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
What were Nintendo/TPC's expectations for Detective Pikachu and how much did it sell?

Also, UltraSun/UltraMoon sold extremely well.

Well, Nintendo's making a pretty big movie starring a pretty big Hollywood star based on Detective Pikachu so I'm assuming that they thought Detective Pikachu would sell more than 100k in three months in America.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe add a PIP in the corner of the map and if you touch, it goes to a separate screen with the map editing stuff. It's tedious but so is creating the maps in the first place(which is why I couldn't play EO). Those people probably would adapt fine.

Because by this logic EO would never show on switch and people okay with the 3DS situation would probably get upset over that eventually when games like SMTV are transitioning fine and look amazing.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The only reason it is sticking around:

3ce.gif
Basically.
They would have dropped it like WiiU otherwise.
People still buy software on it so it makes sense to release software on it.
And it's also the last of the dual screens system on the market so some games are naturally a better fit there.
It's kinda like wondering why Nintendo like money or something.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically.
They would have dropped it like WiiU otherwise.
People still buy software on it so it makes sense to release software on it.
And it's also the last of the dual screens system on the market so some games are naturally a better fit there.
It's kinda like wondering why Nintendo like money or something.
You mean companies keep stuff that sell. Say no more.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's still too soon into the Switch's life cycle. Money or not, see if we're still having this conversation in a year's time, seriously.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You mean companies keep stuff that sell. Say no more.
There's that and there's also the fact that games take time to make and anything where planning ended before March 2017 probably didn't make sense to cancel a 3DS version for let alone making a Switch version.
And the more interesting part is if the game required less than 10 months to go from planning to completion, it probably make sense to release on 3DS anyway.
I don't see a case for a Switch version replacing a 3DS game that make sense regardless of budget or type of software.
Sure I would have liked Metroid Samus Returns on Switch, no I don't think it made sense for Mercury Steam to drop the 3DS version, port the engine to Switch and then port the game to that new engine when in May 2017 it became clear that Switch was a runaway success.
Anything for 2019 though?
if 3DS still sell enough software I'd say go for it, prepare another beefier version for Switch if you can afford it though.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly... This is a silly article. OF COURSE it's profitable to Nintendo.

People saying 3ds new releases are a waste aren't Arguing that it's wasteful to Nintendo.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the MonHun strategy. People will cry about 3DS, making them thirsty for games on more powerful hardware. You'll see, WarioWare World is gonna sell gangbusters on Switch.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Maybe add a PIP in the corner of the map and if you touch, it goes to a separate screen with the map editing stuff. It's tedious but so is creating the maps in the first place(which is why I couldn't play EO). Those people probably would adapt fine.

Because by this logic EO would never show on switch and people okay with the 3DS situation would probably get upset over that eventually when games like SMTV are transitioning fine and look amazing.
"It only plays worse, it's ugly because the assets are not designed for HD and it costs more money.

You know, worth it. ''

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
3DS sold 6 Million units last FY, it's slowing down greatly in Japan, where this time last year 3DS had sold 1 Million units for the year, this year it's ~330K. It's software sales have fallen off quite a bit too and new entries into big series are not hitting as hard.

Nintendo usually supports their handhelds for about 2 years after the successor comes to market, this is true with the DS and GBA, people are just caught up in the moment here and jumping to conclusions, but Nintendo has already moved Pokemon to Switch, there is no reason to think that they would continue on with the 3DS platform, or create a new separate platform, when Iwata said that future hardware would be like brothers in a family of systems and stated that they would chase an iOS/Android type of platform, supported via OS/Accounts and not hardware.

A Switch Mini, with all it's circuit boards unified, passive cooling and no joycons or dock would easily reduce the price below $300, they already sell a Switch in Japan for about $240 without the dock and no other cost cutting measures.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Was actually thinking of getting the 2ds xl for metroid and the new pokemon. I never cared much for the 3d on the device. But the 2ds seems to be for kids. I am 31. So not sure.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I believe them that there are good reasons to keep the 3DS alive, honestly, I get it. That doesn't change the fact that I'm unlikely to pay 40€ to play Wario Ware on my old, uncomfortable, lowres 3DS and that I would be much more likely to get the game if I could play it on my shiny new Nintendo device I really like right now. And I'm probably not alone with this.

It's only natural for owners of newer, better systems to prefer to not go back to the old one in order to play a game. People may be rightfully annoyed by Switch version begging but it's not unreasonable.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm rooting for Nintendo to be successful, and the best way for them to achieve that is to have one platform to develop for.

They can't handle two. Haven't been able to for years.

So the 3DS needs to wind down and it shouldn't be replaced. Simple as that.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo 3DS is still the entry level Nintendo console, still remains a somewhat sizeable active userbase so it's being slowly tapered off into end-of-life, until userbase decreases sufficiently and Nintendo has an entry level Switch that can pick up on that price range or near it. Not much more more to it. Either side should stop being babies about it. 3DS will assuredly die, and yet Nintendo is perfectly allowed throw a bone at it once in a while until it does, it doesn't negate the ethos of Switch which is already benefiting from a major focus of the company like consoles in the past haven't been able to.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I just don't see how it makes any business sense. PQ2 is going to absolutely tank in the West (and probably Japan to an extent). It's going to be released in 2019 and 3DS software sales are already terrible enough.

I know it's Atlus, and it's EO but this should have been a title for both 3DS and Switch if anything.

Edit: Arguments around 80mik existing fan base don't really hold water. Look at 3DS software sales in Japan, by far its biggest market. They are tremendously down overall and getting worse by the minute. It doesn't matter how big the install base is if 3DS owners stopped buying games.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
We know that hardware and software sales have fallen off a cliff for the 3ds. Using a few Atlus examples doesn't somehow disprove this fact. The switch absolutely crushes the 3ds when it comes to software sales this year and it's not even comparable.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rooting for Nintendo to be successful, and the best way for them to achieve that is to have one platform to develop for.

They can't handle two. Haven't been able to for years.

So the 3DS needs to wind down and it shouldn't be replaced. Simple as that.
And I'm sure it will.

But if you're making a Warioware game, something aimed at a lower tech, pick up and play style, with appeal to a wider audience, why not target the 60M+ 3DS owners over the 10-15M Switch owners?

When that Warioware game can be made by compiling a bunch of existing dual screen/touch focused mini games it makes even more sense.

Nintendo is going to support the 3DS as long as they have projects that are a good fit for the 3DS and as long as the 3DS has a healthy market build around a larger userbase than the Switch. Doing otherwise is leaving money on the table.

I'd argue the recent Metroid should have been on Switch (no real need for the dual screen/touch screen elements), but it was already likely in the works before the Switch blew up, so that and some similar recent 3DS support comes from Nintendo hedging their bets a bit.

Nintendo knows how to run their shit in terms of targeting platforms. Critique their hesitancy to service their less mainstream IPs consistently, myopic hardware decisions, and inability to show capable online infrastructure. All of that has merit. But I have yet to see someone show an example of Nintendo simply not understanding the demographics and tie ratios of their hardware in how they assign software to them. On that front they're the smartest guys in the industry.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I like Jason but his piece the other day was one of the most absurd articles I've ever seen. It should be obvious to anyone who has played a game like Etrian Odyssey or Persona Q why they're best suited to the 3DS hardware.
I do wonder what people who feel like this about 3DS support are going to be like if Nintendo wind up releasing a successor, an idea which they've constantly mentioned as a possibility. The whole notion of the Switch being a hybrid and combining development into a single system was always something in the imagination of some and never a stated, concrete plan for Nintendo. Some are finding it very difficult to accept that the Switch is possibly only intended to be the successor to the Wii U and nothing more.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't one of the big selling points for Switch that finally Nintendo would be able to have one system that catered to the handheld and dedicated home console market? I can understand the frustration of some.

But it still feels like 3DS is dying a natural death. They weren't just going to drop it, it will see new games in 2019.. and in 2020 maybe.

I'm frustrated that just as Nintendo finally has the perfect hardware for VC, they (up until now) have completely botched it.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Regular New 3DS black edition is the most beautiful piece of hardware since the DS Lite.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I believe them that there are good reasons to keep the 3DS alive, honestly, I get it. That doesn't change the fact that I'm unlikely to pay 40€ to play Wario Ware on my old, uncomfortable, lowres 3DS

Are you still stuck on an OG 3DS? You should really get a New 2DS XL, like right now.

I just don't see how it makes any business sense. PQ2 is going to absolutely tank in the West (and probably Japan to an extent). It's going to be released in 2019 and 3DS software sales are already terrible enough.

I know it's Atlus, and it's EO but this should have been a title for both 3DS and Switch if anything.

You are aware that Etrian Odyssey X just topped the Japanese charts right? That's the primary market for Persona Q2 too.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who just saw a shit-ton of people using 3DS XLs in the Louvre, yup it's sticking around in some form or another.

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
I'd very much welcome Nintendo to out-source a steady flow of GameCube and Wii ports onto the clam-shell device that refuses to fold. Keeping it as a cheaper entry point (that could get cheaper still) or inexpensive supplementary option makes sense. I don't feel we have seen too many examples of games that "should have been on Switch" (time will soon tell if Luigi's Mansion never gets a HD installment), plus it does appear as though it's only up YoY in the USA, and with Pokemon switching over I don't see new software being the driver of sales rather than price and an established set of evergreens.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Are you still stuck on an OG 3DS? You should really get a New 2DS XL, like right now.

No, I owned an OG 3DS and was absolutely disappointed by its build quality and comfort. I sold it as soon as the 3DS XL released (non New). It's still not ideal but it was good enough. I don't see the point in getting a newer one now, I'm basically done with the 3DS.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Arguments around 80mik existing fan base don't really hold water. Look at 3DS software sales in Japan, by far its biggest market. They are tremendously down overall and getting worse by the minute. It doesn't matter how big the install base is if 3DS owners stopped buying games.

If PQ2 sells 100,000 copies, even if it's less than the sells from PQ, it would be better than almost every EO games. Maybe bomb in the west, but in Japan? I don't think so.

I think people should calm down. The 3DS is in life support right now.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
My majoras mask 3ds is acting up and it makes me sad. Half the time it freezes up when I try to turn it on.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
If the Switch got a clamshell version you could throw in a bag without a case, I'd be ecstatic.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Of all the console warring rhetoric here in ERA this wanting 3DS to die asap is the most childish. Go enjoy your Switch, it's not like it's bereft of games to play. The 3DS still brings something different to the table.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Finally, suggesting Nintendo ought to drop a very inexpensive system to pour everything it has into an expensive system is—well, it's classist. The Switch is $299 USD without a game, and that number goes up exponentially outside the United States (it's $379 in Canada). That price isn't dropping anytime soon, but the 3DS has a whole line of differently-priced models and several pack-in game options. But Nintendo and Atlus' ongoing 3DS support means the handheld's more than a budget-priced has-been for low-income families.

My God, this is a gross take. This is a muti-billion dollar international corporation we're talking about. Releasing full-priced remasters and greatest hits collections isn't any sort of altruistic service to the poor workers of the world. This is some galaxy-brained late capitalism class-consciousness shit.

The 3DS isn't a good system for lower income families because Nintendo is re-releasing old games at full price in 2018. It's a good value because it has had over a decade to build a back catalog and a library of great games that can be bought at discount prices. The same way every "last-gen" system has ever been a great value.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I believe them that there are good reasons to keep the 3DS alive, honestly, I get it. That doesn't change the fact that I'm unlikely to pay 40€ to play Wario Ware on my old, uncomfortable, lowres 3DS and that I would be much more likely to get the game if I could play it on my shiny new Nintendo device I really like right now. And I'm probably not alone with this.

It's only natural for owners of newer, better systems to prefer to not go back to the old one in order to play a game. People may be rightfully annoyed by Switch version begging but it's not unreasonable.

You're much more likely to play touchscreen based minigames by smearing your screen with your fingers in an uncomfortable way ?

How is holding the switch with one hand and tapping it with the other a better solution ? I'd be scared to break the joycond from its railing if I tap too much.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, bad example. The recent Captain Toad port, or the Luigi's Mansion remake, OR Samus Returns, are all better examples.
Except they did release Captain Toad on the Switch the same date as the 3DS.

It's also worth pointing out that developing for the Switch first doesn't magically keep the budget the same; HD asset development takes time and, therefore, money. Samus Returns was obviously used to judge if the Metroid market still exists; a lower budget is favorable for such a game. Likewise, Luigi's Mansion probably wouldn't be being remade at all right now if they had to do it in HD.

You can't just ignore that most of the 3DS games Nintendo is still publishing are low-budget games, many of which are using existing engines (FE, BiS, and Luigi's Mansion all had capable engines before development began). That likely played a large part in getting the projects greenlit to begin with.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People should look at Wario Ware Gold awful japanese sales before saying "3DS is making lots of money"

I do wonder what people who feel like this about 3DS support are going to be like if Nintendo wind up releasing a successor, an idea which they've constantly mentioned as a possibility.
They would basically go out of business failing to juggle 2 systems (they can't) and the PR nightmare. There's no 3DS successor, Pokémon is going to Switch.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
My God, this is a gross take. This is a muti-billion dollar international corporation we're talking about. Releasing full-priced remasters and greatest hits collections isn't any sort of altruistic service to the poor workers of the world. This is some galaxy-brained late capitalism class-consciousness shit.

The 3DS isn't a good system for lower income families because Nintendo is re-releasing old games at full price in 2018. It's a good value because it has had over a decade to build a back catalog and a library of great games that can be bought at discount prices. The same way every "last-gen" system has ever been a great value.

You're the one bringing Nintendo to the mix as a savior. No one did that but you. If you think poor workers isn't a market then you are lying to yourself