BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
And like the Xiaomi Mi9 (or the OnePlus and Huawei) ran side by side with the S10 models, The Mi10 and other brands are going to deliver same specs for half the price of Samsung.

Don't get me wrong, Samsungs flagships are good but since they dominate the android market in Europe and have ads everywhere, people think they are the go to phone and Samsung can jack up the price.

Colleagues at work all have Samsung with some rocking iPhones. When they ask what phone i have and i say Xiaomi, they laugh and treat it like some struggle 50€ "china" phone. Till i give it to them and tell them the specs and then the price.

Yeah I agree with you Samsung/other android flagships are over priced, it's just that iPhones are even more so.

On topic though, I love using the Google lens feature on my phone. It can copy text from a photo and alow you to paste it in a notes app. I don't think most people know about all the cool little features are hidden in the Pixel's camera app.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
My biggest reason for wanting to go back to a Motorola phone is that their phones have motion commands, like making a twisting motion with your hand to go to the camera or shaking it to turn the flashlight on.
I love it and I wish all Android phones had that built on.

Yep.
It may sound like it's not a big deal, but i was considering getting a new phone and while i'd like a Mi 9 T or something i'm finding myself eyeing the moto G8 plus more and more exclusively because of motion commands. I find myself using camera and especially flashlight constantly. Not having those would suck.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
On topic though, I love using the Google lens feature on my phone. It can copy text from a photo and alow you to paste it in a notes app. I don't think most people know about all the cool little features are hidden in the Pixel's camera app.
I actually kind of admire Google's restraint with the Pixel camera app. It would be very easy for them to just stack all the features in a long horizontal list at the bottom, but for the most part they've only brought really essential ones out of the "more" tab. Lens is hidden in there, which is why I suppose a lot of people don't know about it, but I'm kind of glad it's not there, clogging up the main camera menu with something I only use sparingly.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Google Translate on my "off-brand" phone has a cute camera feature that's useful at the grocery store or at the neat little immigrant markets around town

optics.gif

I've known this for a while. Didn't think People never knew about this?

Last edited:

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
android's notification log is great. sometimes you miss a notification, it gets dismissed, or by the time you click on it the person already deleted it and it's gone...but notification log saves everything

android-notification-log-list-100648309-large.idge.jpg

long press home screen, click widgets, drop the Settings shortcut widget on the home screen, and when you do this it should bring up a menu where you can select Notification Log (which is weird because you can't even find Notification Log in Settings but w/e)

Holy shit. This is amazing.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
There's actually an android feature I randomly found, but can't reproduce. I was trying to take a picture (with the stock camera app on my Pixel) and it showed an on screen level that showed me how many degrees off from vertical my phone was tilted. I have no idea how it activated and I haven't been able to find out how to again
Are you talking about going into manual instead of auto to take a photo? If you go to the top right ellipsis and switch over to manual it brings up a level and a bunch of other tools.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually an android feature I randomly found, but can't reproduce. I was trying to take a picture (with the stock camera app on my Pixel) and it showed an on screen level that showed me how many degrees off from vertical my phone was tilted. I have no idea how it activated and I haven't been able to find out how to again

I found this feature recently as well. That level will appear automatically when you have a horizon. I'm sure there must be a way to turn it on manually, but I haven't looked for it yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if there's an arrow back or forward on the android keyboard instead of trying to tap the correct spot between two tiny letter with calloused thumbs?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
You can go to the Help menu in Android's native text messaging app, and check your own number.
At least a friend of mine who never remembers his told me that, not that I would ever need this, no sir.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Google Lens feature on Android seems almost intentionally difficult to find. It doesn't just translate text from images, it has full blown image recognition. I was checking out the aviary at some manor estate last year and there wasn't a placque to tell us what kind of birds we were looking at. So I pull up Google Lens on my phone, point the camera at one of these glamorous fowls and tap the image where the bird appears. It thinks about it for a second then tells me that I'm looking at a Golden Pheasant.

Android phones have a fucking Pokédex and nobody seems to care.

I use it all the time to identify plants.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I hated the most recent Android gesture overhaul for two or three days . . . and now it's the most natural interface I've ever used on a phone.

And yeah, Lens is bananas.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Android:
  • double tap shift key to go to all caps. Faster than long holding it
  • double tap power button will bring up the camera on most phones
  • There's a feature called screen pinning that won't let you exit the current app without entering your password. Good for if you're handing your phone over to someone.
  • You can have multiple user accounts on a phone and switch between them quickly in the notifications pulldown. There's a built in guest account. If you want to let someone use your phone this is a good idea or you can switch over to a dummy account at the airport if they require you to unlock your phone. Great for countries that might find your grindr account at customs.

Oct 27, 2017
I found this feature recently as well. That level will appear automatically when you have a horizon. I'm sure there must be a way to turn it on manually, but I haven't looked for it yet.
Interesting. I was taking a picture of something in a museum. Maybe it interpreted it or the frame or it as a horizon line?

Are you talking about going into manual instead of auto to take a photo? If you go to the top right ellipsis and switch over to manual it brings up a level and a bunch of other tools.
I don't know if the stock Android camera has that...what do you mean by manual?

Android:
  • double tap shift key to go to all caps. Faster than long holding it
  • double tap power button will bring up the camera on most phones
  • There's a feature called screen pinning that won't let you exit the current app without entering your password. Good for if you're handing your phone over to someone.
  • You can have multiple user accounts on a phone and switch between them quickly in the notifications pulldown. There's a built in guest account. If you want to let someone use your phone this is a good idea or you can switch over to a dummy account at the airport if they require you to unlock your phone. Great for countries that might find your grindr account at customs.
Wait what?!

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I feel like most Apple users are still not aware that swipe to text is available on their phones for a bit now. Android users have had it for years but it really makes life easier texting.
No matter how hard I try, I can't swipe faster than I can type. I've tried. And now that iOS has it built-in I've tried more. But typing is just faster for me. But it's nice to have the option now.

People have thousands of apps on their phone?
You don't even know. I don't know how they do it. Everyone I see, especially iPhone users, have sooooo many apps. Pages upon pages of apps. And a lot of them don't use most of the apps and maybe installed them once to use once and never again but are too lazy to delete them or organize them. I can't stand it! I have only apps I need and I have them all organized into three locations. My main home screen, a folder for media and utilities and a folder for commerce apps. All on one screen. If iOS didn't have the Widget screen to the left I'd only have one page on my home screen. And if iOS had 4x4 folders again my folders would have even less pages. (One of my folders would be one page. Come on Apple! Give us 4x4 again!!!)

That said, yeah, I don't think many people really even use most of those apps. When my friend switched from her old Android to my old iPhone and we did the transfer feature (That was really nice to use. So glad Apple made that app. It transferred everything so easily including messages.) it downloaded the iOS equivalent of all her apps and she has so many. I asked her and she says there's so many she doesn't use but she's too lazy to delete and organize them. *sigh*

This is one of the most amazing, underrated feature of iOS. The ability for the text input screen to know the code you're looking for is in the most recent text message saves so much time.
Oh god yes. This is my favorite thing. It even works with untraditional code input screens like ones with separate boxes for each number. Plus the code shows up on the keyboard before the text message even arrives. I love it. It's the best.

Android:
This is something iOS needs badly. At least a Guest mode that switches to a fresh non-customizable version with just the stock apps, no iCloud syncing and it forgets everything when you switch back. Like macOS has.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
My biggest reason for wanting to go back to a Motorola phone is that their phones have motion commands, like making a twisting motion with your hand to go to the camera or shaking it to turn the flashlight on.
I use the "shake for flashlight" alllllll the damn time on my G5+. I'm about to finally upgrade to another budget phone and I think I'm going to stick with Moto, solely because of this feature. It's so dang useful.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
I LOVE the gesture squeeze on thepixel that brings up the assistant. I havent said ok google in years lol

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's not a hidden feature but I like the quick access to the flashlight and camera on the lock screen on my iPhone 11. But I wish I could put more quick-access apps down there. They require a long press to activate so they're not accidentally launched so I'd love to be able to add two more icons down there and customize them. I'd put an icon for Wallet Calculator. The two other most used apps I want quick access to that I normally access from Control Center. But now that CC is opened with a swipe from the top (I HATE THAT CHANGE) it's more of a pain now. So I'd rather have those four quickly accessed at the bottom there.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
One thing on iPhone I use all the time is keyword search in Safari. If you ever want to find a particular word on a given web page, type the word into the address bar, and scroll down to the bottom of the pop-up menu that appears:

cqd6TtO.png

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I still see people reaching up with their other hand to press the capture button on the screen when taking a selfie. Just use the volume rockers with the hand holding the phone. I expect most here to already know that.

Downloading maps offline has been very useful in several situations for me when traveling abroad and not knowing if I'll have cell service in certain areas or not.

On an iPhone you can save multiple pictures from a text message by clicking the info button near the persons name at the time, going to photos, and them multi-selecting to save. Useful for Android to iPhone users where AirDrop isn't available.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so heres another for Samsung phones. On Samsung's own internet browser if you go to settings then appearance you can customise which of these will be at the bottom of the app. I've got find on page on mine and its very helpful. The ad block one can be handy as well when you run into sites that block on that basis.
Vvk1ELa.jpg

The browser was lacking a few features when I first got to trying it when the s10 launched but it's got basically everything you'd need now, including chromecast. It's more convenient using it paired with samsung pass than chrome and lastpass too so I've been using it exclusively for a while now. That's not even mentioning ad blocks actual existence here which chrome never seemed to manage to implement.

Oh the browser also has a forced dark mode which makes sites without a dark mode just comply with it. It can even be handy on sites with a dark mode, like this one, as I can have the true blacks without the eye seering purple of the newer dark mode. Like so.

lXqskvY.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Android:
  • Swiping down from the top of the screen opens the notification shade, and then you have to swipe a second time to get into settings. You can just swipe from the top with two fingers to get straight into settings.

Dude, thank you. I've hated that second swipe ever since it was first introduced in Jelly Bean, or whatever version it was 5 years ago. I never knew about the two finger thing.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if the stock Android camera has that...what do you mean by manual?
Open your camera app and go to the top right corner. Click the ellipsis and it should bring down options like (simple, auto and manual). Simple is just a preset mode. No messing with settings. Auto allows you to mess with some settings, but it pretty much handles everything for you. Manual allows you to mess with everything.
11PZvOi_d.webp

Cyberdandy

Mar 12, 2019
the contextual tilting icon you get in the bottom corner when you physically tilt your phone between portrait and landscape. one day it just showed up and I can't live without it.
This, I love it as well.

My small contribution, for Android users: if you want to delete multiple words when you are typing, instead of mashing or holding the backspace key, hold+swipe it left to select, then release to delete. This will allow you to remove multiple words at once with precision, as you can move left/right to add or remove a word to your selection. I don't think this is available to iOS devices.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
This zoom low-light feature on iOS is a godsend, why it was buried in the settings I will never know. My screen is so dark and it helps a ton at night when browsing ERA.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I love it and I wish all Android phones had that built on.

My favorite Samsung feature is taking a screen shot by swiping the side of your palm across the screen.
I recently went from an iPhone 11 to a Moto G7 Power and I love shaking it to turn on the flashlight. Use it everyday 😎

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Android 10, you can toggle on 'Override force-dark' setting to apply dark mode to all applications, even the ones that don't support dark mode.

Its under developer options.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
What is this exactly?
It increases the max or minimum brightness of your phone. So when I have my brightness turned down all the way, using this feature, my phone screen is dimmer than without it.
See this post for reference.
iPhone: This is less a feature, then a hack, but you can make your phone dimmer than it's lowest brightness setting, because even the lowest setting is too bright for me in the night (including dark mode).

www.businessinsider.com

There's an easy way to make your iPhone screen even dimmer than its lowest brightness setting, and it's perfect for reading at night

There's a trick that can make your iPhone screen even dimmer than the brightness settings Apple provides.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You can change the torch intensity on Samsung phones. Just tap on the "torch" text in quicksettings and choose the intensity.

cIIRuLB.jpg

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
What's essential about Google Maps?
I use it all the time for non navigation stuff:
- open/close times for whatever
- phone numbers of stores
- for restaurants I check the reviews (much better than any other website in my opinion, anything over 4.2 has a high chance of being good/great) and photos (to check how the dishes look like before ordering something based on what is written in the menu).

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
reduce white point accessibility setting on iOS for late night browsing even further reduced brightness.

As someone who's light sensitive it's a life saver.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
A timer. People who share my laundry room can't seem to figure out when their machines are done.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
For Android users who are still using navigation buttons instead of features: double tap the multitask button. You're welcome.

Miss it a lot, but prefer gestures overall.