CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Google Translate on my "off-brand" phone has a cute camera feature that's useful at the grocery store or at the neat little immigrant markets around town

optics.gif
This wins everything. holy shit!! Just tried it on my apple phone. Works perfect!

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of apps have the ability to reduce how much cell data they use. So many people I know blow through their data caps and I think they wouldn't as much if they used these.

The ability to share your route progress in Apple/Google Maps. You might think this is silly but I've had tech savvy people in their early 20's not know this was a feature.

Also the ability to scan notes with your phone/tablets camera. iOS has this with the notes app and Google Drive does too.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I really loved that on my Moto X. Not sure what other Android phones have it, but the Pixel opens the camera when you double-tap the power button.
Yeah, I think my S10e does the double tap power for camera too.

But I just set my Bixby button to the camera. I wish I could set that to turn the flashlight on instead, but I don't think it gives you the option.

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
On Android (or at least the Google keyboard) if you swipe left from the backspace key it'll delete the previous word. Swipe further to delete more words.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Google Translate on my "off-brand" phone has a cute camera feature that's useful at the grocery store or at the neat little immigrant markets around town

optics.gif
Though this is technically an app available on any phone, I'll say it counts because I feel like it is essential and most people don't know this technology exists since they have to download it in many cases.

Oct 30, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
There's actually an android feature I randomly found, but can't reproduce. I was trying to take a picture (with the stock camera app on my Pixel) and it showed an on screen level that showed me how many degrees off from vertical my phone was tilted. I have no idea how it activated and I haven't been able to find out how to again

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's actually an android feature I randomly found, but can't reproduce. I was trying to take a picture (with the stock camera app on my Pixel) and it showed an on screen level that showed me how many degrees off from vertical my phone was tilted. I have no idea how it activated and I haven't been able to find out how to again
I know on iPhone if you are aiming up at the sky or down at a floor or surface, it shows a dynamic level to help you know when you're precisely parallel with the ground.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017

optics.gif
I used this recently to translate a box of European baby formula to english in real time and it literally made my SO's mouth drop.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol folks learning about google translate.

It is an essential app. Get it if you don't have it. You can translate in real time. I work in a plant that has a large amount of Hmong, Vietnamese, Somali, and Latino folks, and it is absolutely mandatory to have on hand. I am able to talk with folks who barely speak English.

Only thing that sucks is that Google hasn't made an offline mode for Hmong language yet. Vietnamese and Spanish are golden, though.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
lol folks learning about google translate.

It is an essential app. Get it if you don't have it. You can translate in real time. I work in a plant that has a large amount of Hmong, Vietnamese, Somali, and Latino folks, and it is absolutely mandatory to have on hand. I am able to talk with folks who barely speak English.

Only thing that sucks is that Google hasn't made an offline mode for Hmong language yet. Vietnamese and Spanish are golden, though.
you MN too? lol

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
android's notification log is great. sometimes you miss a notification, it gets dismissed, or by the time you click on it the person already deleted it and it's gone...but notification log saves everything

android-notification-log-list-100648309-large.idge.jpg

long press home screen, click widgets, drop the Settings shortcut widget on the home screen, and when you do this it should bring up a menu where you can select Notification Log (which is weird because you can't even find Notification Log in Settings but w/e)

Brilliant, never seen this before. It's completely hidden under settings widget. Why Google?! Explain yourselves!

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all Google Maps and Translate are literally essential apps. That real time/voice translation is black magic

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
OH GOODNESS YOU TOO???
My pixel did this today. I was about to take a pic then it showed up. Switched apps in disbelief, switched back and it was gone when trying to take a pic under the same circumstances??

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Feature in the OP is a good one. It was implemented on Android and then came over to iOS when they finally implemented swipe-based typing as well.

On base Android, this is a common feature that I think a lot of people don't know about... but if you swipe down and get your quick settings in the notification shade, if you long-press on those icons it brings up the full settings panel for that item. Tapping it toggles it on and off of course, but for instance, long-pressing on the BLuetooth icon will bring up the full bluetooth connected item's list. You can also custuomize what icons you want to have appear in the "Quick" drawer, and then the rest. I'm sure more power users know this, but I know my wife and some of my friend's didn't.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Most websites can be screenshotted now as a full page, if you just look for that option - take the screenshot and instead of swiping the little preview aside to save it, tap to open it and hit Full Page.

The notes app is a robust scanner now. Delete your proprietary scanner apps. Just hit the camera in a note, hit Scan Documents, it will auto capture when it sees the paper in frame, make any edits you want, and save. It also has an excellent optical text recognition, so you can search the notes app for most basic text you have scanned in the app.
🤯

Oct 27, 2017
OH GOODNESS YOU TOO???
My pixel did this today. I was about to take a pic then it showed up. Switched apps in disbelief, switched back and it was gone when trying to take a pic under the same circumstances??
So it's not just me! I only saw it for the first time a few days ago and haven't been able to figure out how to get it back :/

What's essential about Google Maps?
If you're in a city going somewhere new/driving without a GPS? Maybe they just mean a GPS app in general

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Minnesota is quite diverse. They just need to spread out more into the countryside so the rural areas are a bit more blue politically.

ONTOPIC:
You can use your volume button to take pictures. When in the picture app, click the + volume rocker like you're using a regular button. Click!

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to log in my Psn on the iphone App. Needed to do a 2 step verification. When they texted me the verification code, The IOS memorizes the code, so i easily selected it as an option on the keyboard display. didn't need to write it out manually... Pretty neat.
This is one of the most amazing, underrated feature of iOS. The ability for the text input screen to know the code you're looking for is in the most recent text message saves so much time.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Full page screenshots. Amazing.

The google translate app's camera mode is pretty great even on iOS. Well. "Great." But it's a fun gimmick that's sometimes useful, even in games.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got an S8 and if you're taking a selfie all you have to say is "Cheese" and a little 2 second timer counts down and takes a pic so you don't have to fumble with any buttons.

I dunno maybe everyone knows this but if I bust it out with people they always think it's cool. Not a setting I activated either as far as I know.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Knuckle features on Huawei and Honor phones.

Tap the screen twice with a knuckle to take a screenshot. With two knuckles twice to take a video of the screen. Draw around the area you want to screen to have it immediately cropped.

There also are four letters to draw/write with your knuckle for an app shortcut.

Oct 27, 2017
OnePlus phones have a setting for screen-off shortcuts. I have it setup that when the screen is off, if I draw a circle it will turn the flashlight on.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
OMG at that swiping spacebar in op. works on android on goodle keyboard. one of my biggest annoyances is with the cursor when I want to correct a typo!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is an Android thing or a Samsung Galaxy thing, but there's a feature in my phone's sound settings that lets me assign different audio devices to different apps, and it's a lifesaver with my new baby. He falls asleep a lot easier if I play a white noise track on my phone, but this function also lets me listen to an audiobook or a podcast on my bluetooth headphones at the same time.

Michaelsens

Oct 27, 2017
From what I have tested, to get the screen level to appear you just need to open the camera app and wait ~10 seconds in whatever orientation you want to take the photo in (landscape or portrait).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Unlocking developer options on Android to speed up or slow down UI animations, or the sheer fact that Android provides you the option to change how you interact in general.

I have an an entirely different style of gestures to navigate around my phone rather than Samsung's or Google's iOS style that works much, much better for me. People need to take more advantage of the fact that you can damn near change or adjust anything to your liking on Android if you have a device or skin that does something a way you can't stand.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Thing thing thing but
android's notification log is great. sometimes you miss a notification, it gets dismissed, or by the time you click on it the person already deleted it and it's gone...but notification log saves everything

android-notification-log-list-100648309-large.idge.jpg

long press home screen, click widgets, drop the Settings shortcut widget on the home screen, and when you do this it should bring up a menu where you can select Notification Log (which is weird because you can't even find Notification Log in Settings but w/e)
This doesn't work on Samsung phones apparently, which sucks because I just had great need of it to double check on a weird notification I got that I'm not sure which app pushed. Oh well.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
The number of people who don't know about google translate is disheartening. It has been around for a while.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
My biggest reason for wanting to go back to a Motorola phone is that their phones have motion commands, like making a twisting motion with your hand to go to the camera or shaking it to turn the flashlight on.
I love it and I wish all Android phones had that built on.

My favorite Samsung feature is taking a screen shot by swiping the side of your palm across the screen.

That's actually something I do miss from my Moto phones.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
The two newest flagships from the leading Android brand are hundreds more than iPhone but ok

That's not true, the most expensive version of the Samsung Flagship is a S20 ultra 512gb which costs £1,300 while the iPhone 11 pro max 512gb is £1,499. The new Samsung flagships are on par with iPhone in terms of price, if not still a bit cheaper on some models.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
That's not true, the most expensive version of the Samsung Flagship is a S20 ultra 512gb which costs £1,300 while the iPhone 11 pro max 512gb is £1,499. The new Samsung flagships are on par with iPhone in terms of price, if not still a bit cheaper on some models.
And like the Xiaomi Mi9 (or the OnePlus and Huawei) ran side by side with the S10 models, The Mi10 and other brands are going to deliver same specs for half the price of Samsung.

Don't get me wrong, Samsungs flagships are good but since they dominate the android market in Europe and have ads everywhere, people think they are the go to phone and Samsung can jack up the price.

Colleagues at work all have Samsung with some rocking iPhones. When they ask what phone i have and i say Xiaomi, they laugh and treat it like some struggle 50€ "china" phone. Till i give it to them and tell them the specs and then the price.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ITT: People learn about live translation from Google after all those years. It's a damn life saver in asian countries.