• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

would you move to a Latin American country if given the chance?

• Yes

Votes: 35 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 135 79.4%

• Total voters
Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
as a Latin American myself, i'm really curious if people would be willing to live here, because here (Brazil) people glorify moving abroad, mainly to USA, but of course for Europe too.

let's assume that if you can choose the city and country, if you don't know spanish or portuguese you'd learn instantly, and you could have the same standard of living that you have in the place that you live right now.

would you do it?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
there's an immense difference between the many countries in Latin America. Moving to Brazil is not like moving to Nicaragua is not like moving to Cuba

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
sure, why not? i could get mexican citizen tomorrow thru my mom if i really wanted too. the only thing that worries me is the cartels finding out im from america and then kidnapping me.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Lot of older Americans move to the Dominican republic, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico (yes I know), etc

If I had the money and stability, sure....

I'm Dominican born though.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, although it would be incredibly hard to choose just one; so many diverse cultures and environments.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Latín America is too broad a region to be able to make any blanket statement. I'm half Bolivian and I lived in the country for many years, I don't think I would go back. I wouldn't mind living in Mexico, Uruguay or Argentina though.

no, don't like heat too much.

Not all Latin America is tropical. Uruguay, Argentina and Chile are quite temperate and Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego are closer to Scandinavia (from the fjords to the overall climate).

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
as a Latin American myself, i'm really curious if people would be willing to live here, because here (Brazil) people glorify moving abroad, mainly to USA, but of course for Europe too.

let's assume that if you can choose the city and country, if you don't know spanish or portuguese you'd learn instantly, and you could have the same standard of living that you have in the place that you live right now.

would you do it?
Sure, Florianopolis seems super nice, for example. I think if I were to live in a megalopolis like São Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, or Rio, I'd need a big pay increase — not that they aren't extremely fun in small doses.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I'm quite used to the benefits living in a Scandinavian country gives me, high taxes be damned.

Maybe for a short while, but not forever.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably going to buy an apartment in Colombia soon. I'm a dual-citizen US/Colombian and there are lots of aspects of life that are just better for me in Latin America. The warm, family-style culture, the food, the better services available (you can buy insurance policies that are unheard of in the US and full comprehensive medical care is not only cheap, but way better for aging/retirement than in the US), I could afford a maid and a 3 bedroom apartment for $80k USD, I speak the language, and I would be highly coveted as a native bilingual speaker educated in the US. Colombia is actually farther in LGBTQ rights on a national political level than the US too, so my marriage would transfer. It's just a different way of life that I'm drawn to. Might stay living in the US, and have a vacation apartment to visit until I retire there or something.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm originally from a Latin American country (Puerto Rico) and moved to the mainland not too long ago for better job opportunities.

I dream of retiring early (50-55) and moving back home to Puerto Rico to live out the rest of my days.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
I'd do it. Whichever country is friendliest to black people. I heard some suspect stuff about Brazil and Argentina so I guess that rules them out. Maybe Colombia? I don't know I'd have to research but I've toyed with it. Taking my US income to somewhere in SA would be quite a game changer I think.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'd do it. Whichever country is friendliest to black people. I heard some suspect stuff about Brazil and Argentina so I guess that rules them out. Maybe Colombia? I don't know I'd have to research but I've toyed with it. Taking my US income to somewhere in SA would be quite a game changer I think.
Oof gonna have to look hard

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lived there already for 13 years. I strongly desire to visit again, but not live long term. My country was among the most stable economically and politically...and still managed to go through disastrous sways and recessions.

This is 100% true regarding Argentina. I don't think it's anything close to that in Brazil. Not saying racism isn't prevalent there, but there's an actual sizable population of black people there and the country seemed much more accepting in all the areas I visited. Not talking favelas, obviously.

Argentina...is just extremely racist. Period dot. A lot of Italian, Spanish, and German ancestry, and even the "nicest" people I knew and grew up with looked down on indigenous groups and blacks. Awful stuff.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
If i didn't have to learn a new language sure i would do it! Would be cool to live somewhere in south America like Chile or Argentina.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Canada now, but I'm originally from El Salvador. There isn't enough money in the world to go back to that garbage pit of a country. Mind you I may be biased because of what the government did to my family during the civil war

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On my terms? Heck yeah I'd move to Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador and maybe Panama in a heartbeat - but sure I'd have concerns about stability and economics right now as I would anywhere.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
sure, why not? i could get mexican citizen tomorrow thru my mom if i really wanted too. the only thing that worries me is the cartels finding out im from america and then kidnapping me.

.....I really doubt you will be kidnapped only because you are from the US (America is the whole continent you know) why you would be?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I still want to visit Brazil one day, so that's on my list.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has done that…not sure if that's related enough to the topic, but honestly some of the glorification is worth it. Not sure about the USA, but Canada? Totally worth it.

No place is perfect, but the feeling of having a house without electric fences surrounding it is…nice.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
.....I really doubt you will be kidnapped only because you are from the US (America is the whole continent you know) why you would be?
they kidnap you and then make family in the us pay.

ive had friends and family experience this

wrong choice of words using america yes i know. bad habit

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the fact that I just moved out of one, I'm going to say no.

OP
OP
cursed knowledge
Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
Speaking from the perspective of someone who has done that…not sure if that's related enough to the topic, but honestly some of the glorification is worth it. Not sure about the USA, but Canada? Totally worth it.

No place is perfect, but the feeling of having a house without electric fences surrounding it is…nice.

tbh i wasn't saying that the glorification is totally unjustified. most people are brainwashed into thinking that the USA is truly the land of the free and that hard work is fully recognized there, but i understand that living here (talking about Brazil of course) is really shitty if you're not a millionaire. i'd move to anywhere in North America/Europe in a heartbeat, which is sad because i really love our culture

LilBiscuit

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Half Puerto Rican and half Ecuadorian but born and raised in New York.I really don't know if I'd want to move to a Latin American country I mean I've visited Ecuador a couple of times and it was nice there but my Spanish is dreadful so as someone that looks like a local but can't properly speak Spanish I have gotten some funny looks which kind of hit a bit harder going by the fact that by ancestry I am Latin American. I've funnily enough have never been to Puerto Rico and I just really haven't felt a call to go there. Growing up I was never really around my grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins on both sides because of this and at this point not really interacting with them is the norm to me so I don't feel like I miss them all that much because I hardly know them. The other reason why I think I'd rather stay in New York State is because I'm just not someone who likes traveling around all that much and I prefer predictability so staying in New York would very much be inline with my personality.

funnily enough though I have dual citizenship so if stuff ever gets really bad in the US I can go to Ecuador and probably get an ok job as my family in Ecuador is actually in a very good position financially but it would be awkward for me, not gonna lie there.

Last edited:

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
tbh i wasn't saying that the glorification is totally unjustified. most people are brainwashed into thinking that the USA is truly the land of the free and that hard work is fully recognized there, but i understand that living here (talking about Brazil of course) is really shitty if you're not a millionaire. i'd move to anywhere in North America/Europe in a heartbeat, which is sad because i really love our culture

Oh yeah, I feel you. I've had relatives who immigrated(undocumented) to the US and tried to get by in Florida and…well, you know. Let's say it didn't work out well. I love our culture too man. I miss it. What is nice is that there's a bunch of small Brazilian hubs around here so you still get to at least be in touch with the culture now and then.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Everything I've read about Uruguay makes it seem like a pretty excellent place to live. I especially am fond of their beef beef with Argentina.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HT_5_HT_ALL_Ushuaia.jpg

Ushuaia looks like a beautiful place, the kind of place I'd like to live. Climate there is perfect for me- never gets really hot. I'd like to visit and check it out for myself before moving there though, and flights are loooong from where I live (Chicago).

Lost Soul

Oct 27, 2017
Coming in with savings in foreign currency should set you up well. Now with remote work adoption being pushed forward 10 years, and giving people the ability to keep their jobs from the States or Europe...

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe? I'd probably have to visit some countries first to see what they are like.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
no offence i cant think of ANY latin american country i want to live in even for like 2 or 3 years. But really if i HAD to choice a country than maybe Chile or Costa Rica?