Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
And here we go with the usual nonsense from the major publications:

oViMfGI_d.webp
In contrast, here's the reporting side:

Harris and Trump Offer a Clear Contrast on the Economy https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/16/...omy-inflation.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I see we're at the point where every Kamala policy gets put under a microscope whereas Donald just gets to say drill baby drill with impunity

Yes, and even in this very thread. It's silly. The only policy discussion relevant right now is how voters react to stated policies. The details can come later, if we win. And if we even have the votes in Congress to pass anything.

As for Trump, yeah, he gets a totally free pass when he says "I'm gonna fix everything", or says nothing, or even bluntly says "I'm gonna cut Social Security and take away healthcare". But at least Project 2025 is getting scrutiny and blowback.

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
A large segment of the press has disqualified itself.

Dems better react accordingly.

Jan 15, 2019
Trump might hem and haw about the election results and say they were rigged yet again, but he's not running for a 4th time. And if he does, he's maxing out at 30% of the party's support. Any faith in his ability to win will be gone after two consecutive losses. There will be dead-enders who follow him no matter what, hence the 30%, but most Republicans think of him more as a useful idiot than anything else. If he stops being useful they're just stuck with an idiot.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Trump might hem and haw about the election results and say they were rigged yet again, but he's not running for a 4th time. And if he does, he's maxing out at 30% of the party's support. Any faith in his ability to win will be gone after two consecutive losses. There will be dead-enders who follow him no matter what, hence the 30%, but most Republicans think of him more as a useful idiot than anything else. If he stops being useful they're just stuck with an idiot.
30 percent was literally how he won the primary in 16

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"Ugh" why? You a fan of 2 political parties forever? This isn't Jill Stein's first presidential election. If people want to vote for her that is their choice.
I would love for there to be tons of legitimate parties with a variety of platforms. But I'm also a realist. She has no statistical chance of winning. Literal 0. So the other two choices are A)continuing to keep the country as an open democracy, or B)legitimately destroy it.

Statistics show she pulls votes from Dems every time. She's a spoiler, and when the genuine survival of our country can hinge on a 1% of votes, yeah I'd rather she fuck all the way off.

Oct 26, 2017

oViMfGI_d.webp

We knew this was coming, but it's still just astonishing.....the media continues to hold Democrats to a completely different standard.

Where are all the Op-Eds about Trump's kindergarten level economic policy of "Drill Baby Drill" and "Close the Border". That's literally the sum total of his economic plan he's rolled out the past couple of weeks. He's provided zero details or specifics on tackling any single economic problem. But the media just says, "Trump rambled on while giving an economic speech." No, he did not ramble on while giving an economic speech. There were no economic policy details whatsoever.

For example, in his economic "news press conference" yesterday, what "news" did he break or "economic policy" did he unviel? Absolutely nothing. The only thing that came out of the supposed economic press conference was that he feels he's entitled to call Kamala Harris names and disrespect her. That was the only news from the conference yet the media seems completely blind on how they got bamboozled.

I'm going to stop typing because I can feel my blood pressure going up.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The media is completely compromised by Trump, they desperately want clicks and ratings and their overlords want their goddamn tax breaks. He gives them all of that, so they all have a stake in getting Trump elected again, it's good for business. Thanks capitalism!

Last edited:

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
A two party system is a mathematical certainty under a First Past the Post system. It's literally just game theory. If you want more options, you have to implement Ranked Choice voting (or other similar options), which unfortunately has next to zero public support and won't be gaining any any time soon.

The DNC should introduce it for primaries. The current system would never have picked Harris. See support for lesser polling candidates. Better candidates and a shorter primary season benefits everyone.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
In contrast, here's the reporting side:

Harris and Trump Offer a Clear Contrast on the Economy https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/16/...omy-inflation.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

This still seems to give trump a ton of leeway for rambling, providing interpretations of what he seemed to be trying to say, or failing to call out trump for making all these extravagant claims without detailing what he would actually do to realistically make them happen.

It's pretty ridiculous how easy reporting goes on him.

The line where it matter of factly reports that he says he will deport millions of immigrants to supposedly bring housing costs down is particularly horrid. It just instantly moves on to the next thing as if the suggestion of destroying millions of people's lives doesn't deserve any sort of scrutiny.

May 26, 2018
This still seems to give trump a ton of leeway for rambling, providing interpretations of what he seemed to be trying to say, or failing to call out trump for making all these extravagant claims without detailing what he would actually do to realistically make them happen.

It's pretty ridiculous how easy reporting goes on him.

It's how you treat a boy king.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
"Ugh" why? You a fan of 2 political parties forever? This isn't Jill Stein's first presidential election. If people want to vote for her that is their choice.

It is their choice.

It is not a smart choice...unless their choice is to throw away their vote.

A 3rd party candidate will never win the presidency, because this country has not fostered the conditions for that to ever happen. Nor have any of the major 3rd parties fostered a local presence to facilitate that eventual reality. The Greens, Libertarians, Working Families Party...in most regions go dormant until it's time to run for President. That will never win.

If the US, including 3rd parties, were at all interested in busting the US 2-party chokehold, then there's a lot of local, gritty, thankless hard work they could be doing.

They're not doing it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
XD XD

Smash burgers are a great idea! I'll have to try that as well! So, chilli, smash burgers, and tacos on the list so far lol

Can't go past them. Use the same amount of mince as a regular burger but double the Maillard. Now I just need to find a place locally that has proper deli American cheese.

i wholly endorse Bison Rump 2024!

I've since realised that the better joke is Bison Haggis 2024. The most offal choice.

It is their choice.

A 3rd party candidate will never win the presidency, because this country has not fostered the conditions for that to ever happen. Nor have any of the major 3rd parties fostered a local presence to facilitate that eventual reality. The Greens, Libertarians, Working Families Party...in most regions go dormant until it's time to run for President. That will never win.

If the US, including 3rd parties, were at all interested in busting the US 2-party chokehold, then there's a lot of local, gritty, thankless hard work they could be doing.

They're not doing it.

Yeah, if more leftists could make their way into Democratic Party positions then maybe one day they could have the influence needed to bring ranked choice voting to the USA. THEN, sure, try out the third-parties. I always vote for our local Greens, precisely because I can just put Labour in second place rather than my vote vanishing into the ether.

CosmicCrouton

Jul 12, 2023
The media is completely compromised by Trump, they desperately want clicks and ratings and their overlords want their goddamn tax breaks. He gives them all of that, so they all have a stake in getting Trump elected again, it's good for business. Thanks capitalism!
100% plus they get to pretend they're the heroes and resistance when they get to criticize (rightfully so) every tweet or stupid thing he says. News under Democrats is boring.

Jan 15, 2019
30 percent was literally how he won the primary in 16
Nah he got 44.9% overall in that primary, and the major faux pas of that situation is famously that a ton of non-viable candidates were too stubborn to drop out because they assumed Trump was a glass cannon and they could be the one still standing when his whole operation fell apart.

Feb 21, 2022
User banned (2 weeks): concern trolling
I would love for there to be tons of legitimate parties with a variety of platforms. But I'm also a realist. She has no statistical chance of winning. Literal 0. So the other two choices are A)continuing to keep the country as an open democracy, or B)legitimately destroy it.

Statistics show she pulls votes from Dems every time. She's a spoiler, and when the genuine survival of our country can hinge on a 1% of votes, yeah I'd rather she fuck all the way off.
Your claims of the literal destruction of democracy ring hollow while you're upset that people are able to vote for someone other than your favorite party and then in your next post you say you're alright with the possibility that RFK Jr may be taking votes away from Trump but not Harris.

It is their choice.

They're not doing it.

Those alternate candidates stand for ideologies and policy positions that a non-negligible potion of Americans are passionate about, even if their chance of winning the presidency is unrealistic. Nobody's being tricked into voting for RFK Jr or Jill Stein or Cornell West, etc. I think trying to force people into the two party system even harder than we already are will do more harm than any perceived good.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your claims of the literal destruction of democracy ring hollow while you're upset that people are able to vote for someone other than your favorite party and then in your next post you say you're alright with the possibility that RFK Jr may be taking votes away from Trump but not Harris.

I would definitely be okay with votes being taken away from the person who wants to be a dictator, yeah.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't really care if you think it rings hollow tbh. You're acting like this is just another normal election. One candidate winning results in elections likely being done away with completely or anything resembling them, while the other ensures they continue. We're not taking about taking away votes from any run of the mill candidate but a literal wannabe dictator.

So yeah, in this specific election, making sure we can still actually vote in the future takes precedent.

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017

oViMfGI_d.webp
I canceled my Washington Post subscription a few years ago because of the garbage their editorial board and guest writers were putting out. I could no longer financially support that organization. Which is the shame because their news reporting is actually pretty good.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Those alternate candidates stand for ideologies and policy positions that a non-negligible potion of Americans are passionate about, even if their chance of winning the presidency is unrealistic. Nobody's being tricked into voting for RFK Jr or Jill Stein or Cornell West, etc. I think trying to force people into the two party system even harder than we already are will do more harm than any perceived good.

I wanna be clear, I ain't forcing anybody to do shit. If you don't want to vote go ahead and don't vote. I've said multiple times in these threads that I have years ago given up on trying to convince people who have told me they won't be convinced. Do what you want, bookie.

But no US 3rd party has a chance of winning the presidency. That's a fact. If you want to still vote for them, go ahead. I ain't stopping nobody. But facts are facts.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't think they went out of their way to pick the most horrible picture possible,

washpost.png

I'm so sorry

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I wanna be clear, I ain't forcing anybody to do shit. If you don't want to vote go ahead and don't vote. I've said multiple times in these threads that I have years ago given up on trying to convince people who have told me they won't be convinced. Do what you want, bookie.

But no US 3rd party has a chance of winning the presidency. That's a fact. If you want to still vote for them, go ahead. I ain't stopping nobody. But facts are facts.
The only chance third-parties could win in election is for very local elections and stuff. That's the extent to which the Libertarians and Greens held any power, just in municipalities and very small positions.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care if you think it rings hollow tbh. You're acting like this is just another normal election. One candidate winning results in elections likely being done away with completely or anything resembling them, while the other ensures they continue. We're not taking about taking away votes from any run of the mill candidate but a literal wannabe dictator.

So yeah, in this specific election, making sure we can still actually vote in the future takes precedent.

Couldn't agree more. The downfall of our democracy will be all the people who couldn't see it for what it was, despite all the evidence out there.

Bengraven