Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone was pushing her name hard fairly recently in a thread in Etc. I was kind of gobsmacked.

Paradoxfan

Dec 10, 2023
I still remember Marianne's 2020 run and her "interesting" debate performances for the few she was invited to, and how many moments became big internet memes.

Oct 27, 2017
Laura Ingraham isn't the first fox news pundit lady to be caught drunk at work

the first one is Jeanne Pirro

It's almost every problematic drinker's dream to drink at work

however spewing hate for yer fellow man is quite the other thing

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
There is no definitive evidence that Biden is losing support in one geographic area compared to any other and I find it amusing how in two national polls in the last two days Whitmer is doing WORSE versus Trump than Biden.

And Whitmer won Michigan by 11% as we all remember.

Also you alluded to with Dearborn. Well it's not an accident that the main people behind the Abandon Biden "group" who've had a few articles written about their dumb press conferences/events over the last couple months were discovered to have been working with Michael Flynn and other Trump people prior to 10/07. Due to LGBT issues basically.
You're right, there isn't much direct evidence as of now linking to Biden. I guess my argument was simply that even if there were huge swings from Arab voters against Biden, he still has a path to win Michigan statewide and can compensate for that potential voter loss. I was also thinking about the swing from 2020 to the result in the Abortion referendum in 2022 in Michigan, how places that swung heavily against Abortion, also had a big swing away from Dems when comparing 2018 and 2022.

This is the swing of the Abortion referendum from the 2020 result. If Dems go strongly on Abortion, I have a feeling those swings won't be a one time thing. Dearborn and Hamtramck are those deep red blobs just outside of Detroit. Most (all?) statewide Dems in 2022 performed worse in both those places compared to the Biden 2020 numbers. We're still very far out. Maybe there won't be as big a swing. But I'm just noting the possibility.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018

Republican National Committee cash on hand at end of November:

2016 $21,354,030
2017 $39,838,889
2018 $27,008,324
2019 $63,233,392
2020 $58,777,814
2021 $65,468,902
2022 $17,275,601

2023 $9,956,381

Umm, the RNC needs money. Lmao.

Edit: Whoops! Already posted. My bad. Lol.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Yep she strikes me as the candidate for dedicated homeopaths and goobers that believe crystals are healing or some shit.
I kid you not there is a house in my neighborhood that has a Marianne quote right on the house next to some Bible quotes lol. They also have a gay/trans pride flag on their front lawn. They seem like real true blue, inoffensive, kind-hearted hippies. And you know what? I get that weird positive vibe from Marianne. I wouldn't vote for her but I can't really hate her either lol. Definitely prefer her over Dean Philips that's for sure. Dean just seem too crazy for me.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kid you not there is a house in my neighborhood that has a Marianne quote right on the house next to some Bible quotes lol. They also have a gay/trans pride flag on their front lawn. They seem like real true blue, inoffensive, kind-hearted hippies. And you know what? I get that weird positive vibe from Marianne. I wouldn't vote for her but I can't really hate her either lol. Definitely prefer her over Dean Philips that's for sure. Dean just seem too crazy for me.

www.thepinknews.com

Marianne Williamson told AIDS patients that sickness is 'an illusion'

Democratic Presidential candidate and spiritualist self-help guru Marianne Williamson is under scrutiny for her beliefs about HIV/AIDS.

She's a piece of shit.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://x.com/C_Sommerfeldt/status/1737593312759218397?s=20

View: https://x.com/rpyers/status/1737612178038133111?s=20

I don't understand how the party of rich freaks is running out of money?

Is this why they keep running rich carpetbaggers? Like I get they still have war chest to rely on, so they're not totally broke, but still.

Their donors aren't out of money, they just don't see it as an investment with return. Mitt Romney asks for $1M to get elected, you feel pretty good that he's gonna use it to say normal shit like "cut taxes" and "be bipartisan." MTG asks for $1M and you're flipping a coin on whether she'll use it to pay for normal commercials or ones that rail against ~Jewish elites~ or whatever the fuck.

The modern GOP is fundamentally broken. These are not serious people. Their donors are actually serious people, and they don't see why their money would be spent appropriately.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of checking BBC news out of poops and giggles and they straight-up have an NYT-style "Trump just got removed from the ballot on Colorado, here's why that's bad for Democrats" headline.

Like seriously can y'all stop copying each other's homework?

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
New CA Senate Primary Poll

www.politico.com

Schiff holds clear lead in CA Senate race with Garvey, Porter and Lee in a dead heat

A new POLITICO | Morning Consult poll reveals Rep. Adam Schiff as a clear leader in the race with Republican Steve Garvey and Democratic Reps. Katie Porter and Barbara Lee tied for second place.

Schiff (D) 28%
Garvey (R) 19%
Porter (D) 17%
Lee (D) 14%
Early (R) 7%
Bradley (R) 7%
Pascucci (D) 4%

Several things are becoming quite clear: Schiff is consolidating a lot of the base and has it banked in, Garvey is starting to consolidate a lot of the Republican support, and one of either Lee or Porter need to drop out so a Dem vs Dem general has a better chance of happening. But I doubt either of them will wanna drop out. So I think the chance of a Dem vs Dem general is essentially 50-50.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Maybe if he'd run against the guy facing many dozens of indictments for extremely serious charges the GOP has historically found to be heinous, instead of constantly supporting the guy...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Colbert just covered this Thomas story last night.

So yeah, he complained he wasn't getting paid enough (at the inflation adjusted equivalent of $300K) and suggested he might resign. Then rich right wing benefactors started gifting him all sorts of things he gladly accepted without reporting.

Disgusting.

A Dem doing that would have to resign.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone listen to Conan / Joe Biden interview? Thinking about giving it a listen when I get a chance this weekend.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
LOL. Trump/Santa cartoon on Colbert last night, narrated by Liam Neeson. Bonus inclusion of Elon Musk Mengy

"The Indict-Mare Before Christmas"

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I listened to the Conan podcast with Biden. Anyone that has any concerns over his mental state needs to listen to it. Dude is sharp as a tack.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
So, in theory having greater actual enforcement against anti-social behaviour and drug use on public transit would be great- the problem is the NYPD itself has no interest in actually doing their job on this.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
5fb7ea1132f2170011f704fc

View: https://x.com/kyledcheney/status/1737892281040929178?s=46

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Rudy $1M-$10M assets, that's surely false.

In August he listed one of his homes for sale for $6.5M, bought in 2002 for $4.8M. It says here he owned six homes at one point. I bet he had high earnings and "gifts" for decades too.

nypost.com

Rudy Giuliani lists longtime NYC home, once raided by the FBI, for $6.5M

Giuliani has listed his decades-long Manhattan co-op, which was raided by the FBI in 2021. “Considering what he could be up against, it is not uncommon to sell assets or even list your home f…

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commentary/fetterman-not-progressive-young-voters-20231217.html

"We have started a progressive movement here in Pennsylvania. It's not going away. This isn't over. This is not how our story ends." — John Fetterman on April 26, 2016, after finishing third in a Democratic U.S. Senate primary.

This is how that story ended last week, more than seven years later. Now having achieved his dream of election to the U.S. Senate, and after becoming a leading national figure in the Democratic Party, Fetterman flatly declared in an NBC News interview: "I am not a progressive."

"It's a reasonable conversation — until somebody can say there's an explanation on what we can do when 270,000 people are being encountered on the border, not including the ones, of course, that we don't know about," he said.

That conflict has seen the first-term Democrat not only join most people in condemning the Oct. 7 terrorist attack by Hamas but also become one of Israel's most zealous defenders, refusing to discuss Palestinian civilian casualties and brushing off hundreds of calls to his office and noisy protests begging him to call for a cease-fire. In fact, he has seemed to mock protesters, waving an Israeli flag at one gathering.

I heard from a lot of Fetterman 2022 backers who feel, in the words of one, "duped," and who have no interest in donating or volunteering for him ever again

What the hell happened to John Fetterman?

BradyTheGOAT

Banned
Aug 25, 2023

He's basically the same guy he was before 2022. He was always a vocal supporter of Israel.

This is another situation like with the MA Senate primary when tons of leftists pinned their hopes and prayers onto Ed Markey, holding him up as some progressive beacon, because his campaign was crafty enough to present himself as the political outsider against a Kennedy kid. Which was bizarre to watch unfold due to Markey being as establishment as establishment gets having been in the senate forever. But Joe Kennedy was an easy target who sucked so it was pretty funny all around.

Anyway Fetterman is a Senator representing the state of Pennsylvania. The whole state. It's really troubling to me how that is so often brushed aside to make room for the assumption that he ought to solely represent the younger leftist contingent of fans that were ultimately not too large a part of his base of electoral support in the first place.

It's unfortunate we don't have the House because I guarantee you that if we could actually pass legislation right now he would be a rock solid vote with the rest of the Dem caucus for just about anything. The comparisons to Manchin and Sinema are just utterly absurd for various reasons I could rant about.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
He's basically the same guy he was before 2022. He was always a vocal supporter of Israel.

This is another situation like with the MA Senate primary when tons of leftists pinned their hopes and prayers onto Ed Markey, holding him up as some progressive beacon, because his campaign was crafty enough to present himself as the political outsider against a Kennedy kid. Which was bizarre to watch unfold due to Markey being as establishment as establishment gets having been in the senate forever. But Joe Kennedy was an easy target who sucked so it was pretty funny all around.

Anyway Fetterman is a Senator representing the state of Pennsylvania. The whole state. It's really troubling to me how that is so often brushed aside to make room for the assumption that he ought to solely represent the younger leftist contingent of fans that were ultimately not too large a part of his base of electoral support in the first place.

It's unfortunate we don't have the House because I guarantee you that if we could actually pass legislation right now he would be a rock solid vote with the rest of the Dem caucus for just about anything. The comparisons to Manchin and Sinema are just utterly absurd for various reasons I could rant about.
He has been consistent about Israel and I do think some people should have tempered their expectations with Fetterman before he took office. He's been to the left on some domestic issues (marijuana) and more to the right on others (fracking). Foreign policy for Fetterman is your bog-standard centrist stuff. I do think his campaign should have been more open about who he is politically instead of framing him as the next progressive firebrand.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If you know PA, then Fetterman at his most centrist is still left of a lot of the state. Speaking as an Ohioan, it's probably what Ryan would have looked like if he had won. These aren't really the statewide offices where you look if you're trying to find progressive heroes.

Nov 6, 2017
Unfortuantely, progressives just aren't attractive to the general voting public. If progressives want to actually increase their representation within state and federal governments, they have to pick up new voters and get out the youth vote to vote for their candidates. Otherwise they're trying to convince older, more apathetic liberals who have had their progressivism beaten out of them and side with whatever Democrat is on the ticket in order to ensure it ain't a GOPer.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortuantely, progressives just aren't attractive to the general voting public. If progressives want to actually increase their representation within state and federal governments, they have to pick up new voters and get out the youth vote to vote for their candidates. Otherwise they're trying to convince older, more apathetic liberals who have had their progressivism beaten out of them and side with whatever Democrat is on the ticket in order to ensure it ain't a GOPer.

There's more to it than this. We can get progressive voices in, but it's a very uphill battle in states like PA and Ohio where most of the more progressive people live in cities or leave the state. In some of them it's just not going to happen because the electorate was never really there for that to begin with. FWIW I think that 2024 states with abortion on the ballot is going to be a good time to try to get more progressive voices into more offices from school boards to Congress.

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Amherst, MA
Progressive until Palestine is a pretty prescient mantra at this point.

I was glad to vote for Fetterman in PA when I lived there, not surprised but still disappointed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.