• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No but most people are voting for Biden not for those reasons. In fact a lot of his appeal is "normal/not Trump", putting Trump away, re-opening and opening investigations into these people isn't going to get him people. That'll likely be the most unpleasant part of a dem coming in after Trump.

Progressive policies though that's the stuff people talk a
You aren't getting progressive policies done with the Supreme Court we have currently. He needs to address that.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think give it a few months, everyone's concern will be for their old loved ones not to be dead. That's gonna leave a lot of room for insane fuckery everywhere at all levels. I feel like the average political issues we've been obsessed with for years are gonna vanish for the foreseeable future.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If Bernie loses Michigan or is non-viable in Mississippi that should be the final nail and he needs to get out. He then can try with Warren to lobby some progressive causes. If he doesn't it just shows he puts his ego over the policies he inspires.
At no point will his ego allow him to drop out.

March 17 is looking grim for him and I still don't see him accepting defeat.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You aren't getting progressive policies done with the Supreme Court we have currently. He needs to address that.
Executively. (This is why Bernie would never have achieved anything.)

Barring constitutional challenges, you can legislate around the Supreme Court fairly easily. You just need the votes.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

So apparently it actually might lose some potency when warmer weather arrives in earnest, but Trump assumes it'll act exactly like the flu. As the tweet says, he's decided to view the best-case-scenario theory as ironclad fact.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

The president, while standing at the CDC with top experts and scientists dealing with coronavirus, cited Fox News as his source for knowing what the current number of cases is in the US

10:23 PM - Mar 6, 2020

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

At his fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago tonight, POTUS repeated to the crowd of several hundred donors that the Coronavirus concerns will be over in "a couple of months," per one attendee.

10:25 PM - Mar 6, 2020

So gross. Ugh.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who wants to bet we'll hit OT20 before the end of the year?

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter

“I am constantly asked if I‘d support the Dem nominee. Could you imagine if I said I wouldn’t? Yet Biden’s camp is on TV threatening to help Trump if they don’t get exactly what they want. This is profoundly irresponsible on all ends. Our country is not a game. Get it together...

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to follow the Coronavirus thread and I'm not sure doctors currently agree it'll subside in the heat.

Also my spellcheck somehow knows Coronavirus.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but you don't think this same court stops his moderate plans too?
No. You just need a pliant Congress.

As long as you have the votes, the courts can't challenge the law (only the Constitution). If they say something is unconstitutional, you just fix it and pass it again.

We're more likely to get the votes for "moderate" legislation. There's no reason to believe that any significant radical legislation would get past the Manchin/Sinema/Tester firewall (meaning it would require executive action, which would immediately be challenged and struck by the Trump federal courts and SCOTUS).

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
've been trying to follow the Coronavirus thread and I'm not sure doctors currently agree it'll subside in the heat.

Also my spellcheck somehow knows Coronavirus.
They don't. As the tweet says, they think it doesn't "thrive" in the heat, but it can weaken and still be potent and widespread, even in warmer months.
So he needs to talk about how he's going to reform/fix the court.
There is no attainable reform for the Court besides packing it. Literally. Anything else requires a constitutional amendment, which will not pass 2/3 of Congress or 3/4 of state legislatures.

As devSin said, you need a compliant Congress both to work around the Court's bad rulings and to expand the Court itself.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Fun fact: Seattle doesn't really get warmer until like late June, and even then it's usually mid 70s all summer. We'll keep Corona going even if it fades elsewhere.

Also this all in for Sanders by AOC feels like a bad political read. To be the bridge later, don't feed the troll currently asking for your help again under it.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No. You just need a pliant Congress.

As long as you have the votes, the courts can't challenge the law (only the Constitution). If they say something is unconstitutional, you just fix it and pass it again.

We're more likely to get the votes for "moderate" legislation. There's no reason to believe that any significant radical legislation would get past the Manchin/Sinema/Tester firewall (meaning it would require executive action, which would immediately be challenged and struck by the Trump federal courts and SCOTUS).
Have you been ignoring the kinds of rulings this court has been making? They don't seem to care about the constitution anymore.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
The packing question illustrates the difference between simple and easy. It truly is simple. You need 218 votes in the House, 50+VP in a filibuster-less Senate, and the president's signature - boom, you now have 11 SCOTUS seats. But it won't be easy to persuade people, and the Court will likely have to force our hand and turn the public against it with some truly horrific rulings.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Seattle doesn't really get warmer until like late June, and even then it's usually mid 70s all summer. We'll keep Corona going even if it fades elsewhere.

Also this all in for Sanders by AOC feels like a bad political read. To be the bridge later, don't feed the troll currently asking for your help again under it.
I don't think it's bad for her brand. There were rumors that she wasn't happy about the Rogan stuff, and doing what she's doing now puts her in a position to be the person trying to reconcile things going forward.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't think it's bad for her brand. There were rumors that she wasn't happy about the Rogan stuff, and doing what she's doing now puts her in a position to be the person trying to reconcile things going forward.
Yeah. She is arguing for supporting the Dem candidate whoever it is. I'm not sure how that's a bad look.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Dr. Gregory Gray, of Duke University's Global Health Institute Division of Infectious Diseases, tells CBS News that the summer months may lead to a small decrease in transmission, but likely won't stop the spread of coronavirus completely.

"It is hard to know," Dr. Gray said. "Routinely seen coronaviruses often wane during summer months as buildings have more air circulation, [people] tend to congregate less, and people are more exposed to UV light which can kill viruses."

However, he said this particular coronavirus, known as SARS-CoV2, "is pretty infectious — meaning it has a high basic reproduction number — and virtually 100% of people are susceptible. My hunch is we may see a 10% to 20% slowdown in transmission, but I doubt the virus will cease infecting people during summer months."

It is also important to remember that just because it starts getting warmer in the U.S. doesn't mean it's warm elsewhere.

"The virus will soon be very active in both the Southern and Northern Hemispheres, which have opposing summers and winters," Gray explains. "Hence, a summer slowdown in the Northern Hemisphere may be offset with a concomitant winter increase in the Southern Hemisphere."

www.cbsnews.com

Will warm weather stop the spread of coronavirus?

It's one of the most commonly asked questions about coronavirus, so CBS News asked an expert.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
She is two months removed from decrying the fact that she and Biden were in the same party. Yet she's supposed to be the bridge? 🤔

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. She is arguing for supporting the Dem candidate whoever it is. I'm not sure how that's a bad look.
Framing it as "Biden's camp" is a bit deceptive, though.

History is rife with jackass delegates. You don't really have control over those people. And lord knows we've had some crazy ones recently, regardless who they were pledged to.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Just remember, the corona virus will disappear, like a miracle!
15 active cases will soon be 0, so that's pretty good.

giphy.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Not really.

Biden will in all likelihood win MI and will certainly stomp in MS on Tuesday night. Even if Sanders wins MI narrowly, mathematically it's pretty much over.
We need to wait for FLA before anyting is set in stone

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Not really.

Biden will in all likelihood win MI and will certainly stomp in MS on Tuesday night. Even if Sanders wins MI narrowly, mathematically it's pretty much over.
Or as I like to remind people, Bernie narrowly won MI in 2016 in one of the hugest upsets ever.

And it didn't turn things around for him.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If Bernie loses MI and WA it's all over. If he narrowly wins one or both it'll be all over after FL.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Had a nosy at CA results on DD. Even just Bloomberg dropping out earlier would've given Biden the lead there, let-alone Pete and Amy. Crazy.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Remember that guy who was tasked with stalking Yovanovitch at the behest of Parnas and Fruman in a not-at-all-mobby way?

www.courthousenews.com

New Prosecutions Roil GOP Candidate Tied to Ukraine Intrigue

Opening five new stalking cases against a key figure from the impeachment saga, prosecutors set the stage for pretrial detention of long-shot congressional candidate Robert Hyde.

Opening five new criminal cases against a key figure from the impeachment saga, prosecutors asked a judge to keep Republican congressional candidate Robert Hyde behind bars ahead of his trial on stalking allegations.

"I would say it's a danger to the well-being of the victim," Assistant District Attorney Gina Del Rio Gazzo said in court Friday, referring to Hyde's conduct on bail. "It's a danger to her feeling of safety. … It's putting her in fear."

In other smaller news, KS Rep Watkins under the microscope:

www.politico.com

GOP Rep. Steve Watkins' woes mount with FEC probe into his father

The freshman congressman’s father said he’s under investigation for improper campaign contributions.

"The Federal Election Commission is investigating potentially improper "straw man donations" to Rep. Steve Watkins' 2018 campaign that were paid for by his father — the latest political headache for the embattled Kansas Republican.

At the heart of the FEC probe is whether Watkins' father made illegal contributions to boost Watkin's congressional bid."

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Thank you for not naming the thread "What a tremendous year the past 12 days have been" whispered Diamond Joe Biden huskily.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
She is two months removed from decrying the fact that she and Biden were in the same party. Yet she's supposed to be the bridge? 🤔

Like I think that is fair to say. If we had a parliamentarian system with coalition government , she would be in the green party, Trump in a reactionary nativist party, and the two center left ( Biden) and center right (Jeb!) parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.