• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Tom Gara on Twitter

“Google's coronavirus screening site asking you first up if you have coronavirus symptoms, and then telling you you're "not the right fit" for the site if you answer "yes" is absolutely prime Silicon Valley magical realism https://t.co/WyekSKKkC9”

The Verily website up and it's a mess.

Oct 26, 2017
Trump was bragging about Friday's stock market. Yet it looks like Friday could be sandwiched between record losses. What an idiot.

Oct 26, 2017
When the stock market goes up, it's because of him. When it goes down, it's the democrats fault. Obviously.

What's funny is that most Presidents do this, but over a much longer period of time, like over a period of 4 years or more. Whereas Trump literally does this on a day-to-day basis. Blames Democrats and the Fed on Thursday. Takes credit for the market on Friday. Will likely blame Democrats and the Fed again on Monday.

It's something a child would do.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
What's funny is that most Presidents do this, but over a much longer period of time, like over a period of 4 years or more. Whereas Trump literally does this on a day-to-day basis. Blames Democrats and the Fed on Thursday. Takes credit for the market on Friday. Will likely blame Democrats and the Fed again on Monday.

It's something a child would do.

Most people would lie to get themselves out of trouble, if no one ever called them on it.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Shit went off the rails in terms of volatility--politically, economically, culturally--in the days after Super Tuesday, then last week was even more brutal. This week will probably put both to shame, so best of luck to y'all. Us'all? ... Everyone. You get what I'm saying!

Oct 26, 2017
I know I'm probably late but I just saw those images from the Illinois airport..... just wow.

Between that and the images from DisneyWorld, we're going to see two major outbreaks from those two situations alone.

I honestly don't think Trump will be escaping this one. He won't be able to bullshit his way out of the fallout. There's just too many blatant examples of the Trump administration screwing up the response.

Just like how Katrina redefined how the government responds to Hurricanes, COVID-19 will be Trump's scarlet letter and every future administration will try to overcompensate and show they are fully prepared for any pandemic.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg is the Democrat's trump
Biden is the Democrat's trump
Everyone is the Democrat's trump

Unless you're Bernie

I suggest closing the democratic primary thread because this is very over.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Winding down our business today with the owner and then I'm out of a job until this blows over. That is if we survive at all. Going to be a helluva few months ahead.

Didn't watch the debate because it felt so farcically pointless. Both because Biden's already won and because of the virus and everything surrounding it and getting news we're shutting down my business. Just feels completely unimportant.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
vyCAAFF.png

www.cnbc.com

Dow drops nearly 3,000 points, as coronavirus collapse continues; worst day since '87

Monday's losses put the Dow down more than 31% from its all-time high and the S&P 500 and Nasdaq more than 29% below their records.

Stock futures were down sharply on Monday even after the Federal Reserve embarked on a massive monetary stimulus campaign to curb slower economic growth amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Stock market futures hit "limit down" levels of 5% lower, a move made by the CME futures exchange to reduce panic in markets. No prices can trade below that threshold, only at higher prices than that down 5% limit.
Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were off by more than 1,000 points, triggering the limit down level. S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100 futures were also at their downside limits.
This led traders to look at the SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (SPY) — which tracks the S&P 500 — for a better indication of how the market will open. The SPY ETF plummeted 9% in the premarket, signaling that a "circuit breaker" will be triggered shortly after the regular session starts. ETFs that track the Dow and Nasdaq 100 — the SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF Trust (DIA) and Invesco QQQ Trust — were also down more than 8%.
While the central bank's actions may help ease the functioning of markets, many investors said they would ultimately want to see coronavirus cases peaking and falling in the U.S. before it was safe to take on risk and buy equities again.
"The Fed blasted its monetary bazooka for sure," said Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group. "This better work because I don't know what they have left and no amount of money raining from the sky will cure this virus. Only time and medicine will."

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone should send the White house , Lou Dobbs, and Trump's Twitter signed copies of the disaster that will be the stock market since they love that kinda thing.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

West Long Branch, NJ – Arizona's Electoral College votes could be in play in November, according to a Monmouth ("Mon-muth") University Poll of registered voters in the state. Joe Biden has a slight lead over President Donald Trump, while Bernie Sanders is basically tied with the incumbent. In tomorrow's Democratic primary election, Biden has a 20 point lead over Sanders. The poll also finds that the Arizona U.S. Senate race could start off with a Democratic edge as well, with Mark Kelly having a 6 point lead against Martha McSally. In other poll results, a majority of Arizona voters are concerned about coronavirus hitting their family, but the level of concern varies widely by party affiliation.
Among Arizona voters who are considered likely to participate in the Democratic primary for president, support currently stands at 51% for Biden and 31% for Sanders. Tulsi Gabbard is backed by just 1% and candidates who have dropped out of the race also get support from early voters, including Mike Bloomberg (5%), Elizabeth Warren (3%), Pete Buttigieg (3%), and Amy Klobuchar (1%).
Sanders actually leads Biden among Latino voters (48% to 41%) and voters under 50 years old (56% to 28%), but this is more than offset by Biden's strong advantage among larger voter blocs, including white voters (55% to 26%) and those aged 50 and over (64% to 16%). Just over half of likely Arizona primary voters report having already cast their ballots. Biden has a 50% to 27% lead over Sanders among this group. Among those yet to vote, the race stands at 51% Biden and 36% Sanders.
---------------------------------
Looking at hypothetical general election matchups for November, Biden holds a small 46% to 43% edge over Trump, while the incumbent leads Sanders by 44% to 43%. Trump beat Hillary Clinton in Arizona by 4 points in 2016's election. The difference between Biden and Sanders against Trump seems to be down to what 2016 Clinton voters will do in 2020. Trump holds on to 86% of his 2016 voters against Biden (who gets 8% of them) and 87% of his 2016 voters against Sanders (who gets 6% of them). Among 2016 Clinton voters, 90% will support Biden (to 4% for Trump), but only 80% will support Sanders (to 7% for Trump).
---------------------------------
Turning to the hotly contested U.S. Senate race, Democrat Kelly holds a small 50% to 44% lead over incumbent Republican McSally in a hypothetical matchup in November's special election. McSally leads among men (53% to 42%) while Kelly leads among women (57% to 36%). McSally is running to complete the final two years of the late Sen. John McCain's term. She was appointed to the post after she lost the election for Arizona's other senate seat in 2018.
The Monmouth University Poll also finds that a majority of Arizona voters are either very (21%) or somewhat (32%) concerned about someone in their family becoming seriously ill from the coronavirus. Another 28% are not too concerned and 19% are not at all concerned. Even though the new coronavirus virus is expected to impact older people more, voters aged 65 or over (50%) are less concerned about the impact than those under 35 years old (62%). Perhaps more interestingly, Republicans (41%) and independents (47%) are less concerned about a family member getting ill from COVID-19 than Democrats (75%).
----------------------------------
About half the state's voters (49%) say the federal government has done a good job handling the outbreak, while 43% say it has done a bad job. Similarly, 49% say Trump has done a good job handling the outbreak, while 46% say he has done a bad job. Arizona voters are split on the impact of the president's televised Oval Office address on Wednesday. Just under one-fourth (23%) say it made them feel more confident in his administration's ability to deal with the outbreak while slightly more (29%) say it made them feel less confident. Another 36% say his address did not change their level of confidence and 10% were not aware of it.
While Arizona voters are divided on the president's handling of the COVID-19 situation, overall opinion of him is underwater. Currently, 41% have a favorable view of Trump and 50% hold an unfavorable opinion, with another 10% offering no opinion. Voters are split on their opinion of the Democratic front-runner. Biden has a 36% favorable and 38% unfavorable rating among state voters, but 1 in 4 (26%) have no opinion of him. Voter opinion of Sanders is decidedly negative at 31% favorable and 47% unfavorable, with 22% having no opinion.
For the U.S. Senate contenders, challenger Kelly has a decidedly positive rating of 41% favorable and just 17% unfavorable, although 42% of Arizona voters have no opinion of him. McSally, on the other hand, holds a divided 35% favorable and 39% unfavorable rating, with 26% having no opinion of her. The incumbent does slightly better on her job rating, with 42% of voters approving and 39% disapproving of the job she is doing as U.S. senator.
On other issues, the poll finds that most (56%) Arizona voters say their family's current financial situation is stable, while 23% say it is improving and 18% say they are struggling. About 3 in 10 (29%) say the federal government's actions over the past three years have helped their financial situation, 16% say those actions have hurt them, and 53% say the federal government has had no impact on their finances.
On the issue of health care, 39% of the public would prefer a system that allows people to opt into Medicare or keep their private coverage, while 19% would keep the system private but regulate the costs, and 25% would keep the health insurance system as it is now. Just 12% want to switch to a universal system that gets rid of all private insurance.
As to immigration policy, 45% of Arizona voters support building a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico and 50% oppose this. There is a huge partisan divide on this issue – 88% of Republicans support a border wall and 87% of Democrats oppose it. More independents oppose (56%) rather than support (37%) building a border wall.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized Mike Pence will be sitting at a table alone with a woman at the VP debate. Will he insist on Mother sitting there as well?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Shit went off the rails in terms of volatility--politically, economically, culturally--in the days after Super Tuesday, then last week was even more brutal. This week will probably put both to shame, so best of luck to y'all. Us'all? ... Everyone. You get what I'm saying!
Super Tuesday was just two weeks ago...feels like it happened on a different planet.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

BREAKING scoop: HHS was hit by a cyber attack last night, sources tell me and @shiramstein. Multiple incidents of hacking.

SCOOP: HHS suffered a cyber-attack last night during the nation's response to #COVIDー19. The attack appears to have been intended to slow the agency's systems down, but didn't do so in any meaningful way. From me and @JenniferJJacobs https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-16/u-s-health-agency-suffers-cyber-attack-during-covid-9-response …

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Like I've said, I'd rather not be waiting days for Arizona's votes to be counted with Trump claiming he won and all these mail votes are rigged/voter fraud against him.
fwiw supposedly Arizona has instituted some reforms that will make the count quicker this year.

The nice thing about Wisconsin and Florida is they don't have Senate elections this year, which makes it a bit easier to tell them to go pound sand if they end up sticking with Trump. They're competitive enough that I don't think Biden's campaign should give up on either of them, but the EC and the Senate maps don't rely on either of them.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm probably late but I just saw those images from the Illinois airport..... just wow.

Between that and the images from DisneyWorld, we're going to see two major outbreaks from those two situations alone.

I honestly don't think Trump will be escaping this one. He won't be able to bullshit his way out of the fallout. There's just too many blatant examples of the Trump administration screwing up the response.

Just like how Katrina redefined how the government responds to Hurricanes, COVID-19 will be Trump's scarlet letter and every future administration will try to overcompensate and show they are fully prepared for any pandemic.
Most Republicans are like cult members today. They'll give him a pass even as they suffer from covid. They'll blame it on the Chinese. Obama. Whatever.

That's not to say it won't hurt him with other people, but the Republicans aren't going to budge much imo

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Friendship ended with Wisconsin, Arizona is new best friend

And this is where I'm torn when it comes to VP. Studies show home states actually are affected by VP choice. My first choice is Kamala Harris, but California is guaranteed. If Klobuchar can give you Wisconsin and win the election, you have to take that chance. If Abrams can win you Georgia, you have to take that chance.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see Trump in and audienceless debate
It'd be like a deposition

So, I agree

Bobby Lewis@revrrlewis

On Fox & Friends, the Surgeon General warns that "we are not an authoritarian nation, so we have to be careful when we say 'Let's do what China did. Let's do what South Korea did.'"

7:41 AM - Mar 16, 2020

Alex Ward @AlexWardVox

South Korea is a democracy

Also, South Korea ramped up testing and slowed the rise in cases without a lockdown.

8:29 AM - Mar 16, 2020

It's been incredibly clear to me that the ticket compromise was Pence got to choose the medical personnel and my god are they the dumbest fucks imaginable.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think we have a better shot at winning Wisconsin than Arizona, but Klobuchar is from Minnesota, not Wisconsin.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I think we have a better shot at winning Wisconsin than Arizona, but Klobuchar is from Minnesota, not Wisconsin.

I am aware (I should have clarified), but she is a Midwestern candidate that appeals to the area more than Harris/Abrams. Still a home state effect in play because of the region.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I am aware (I should have clarified), but she is a Midwestern candidate that appeals to the area more than Harris/Abrams. Still a home state effect in play because of the region.
Is Arizona in the California region? :D

I think we need to pick someone dramatically younger and more liberal than Biden, so I'm not so sure on either Harris or Klobuchar. I like the idea of a Latina from Arizona. Someone go find one. Might I recommend Y2Kevina Bugga. Soy numero uno. I mean ella es numero uno.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Most Republicans are like cult members today. They'll give him a pass even as they suffer from covid. They'll blame it on the Chinese. Obama. Whatever.

That's not to say it won't hurt him with other people, but the Republicans aren't going to budge much imo

give it a few weeks, when they are all getting laid off the edges will start to fray

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
id almost feel bad for McSally if she wasn't such an asshole against Sinema. Almost.

Arizona's purpling gives me liiiiife. It was one of the most anti-immigrant places not too long ago. It's a good warning sign for pretty much the rest of the West if Arizona follows California's trajectory of vehemently anti-immigrant -> true blue state. Like don't mess with the Latino (and Asians and other immigrants) community, yo.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
My 24 hour grocery is closed and the mayor just said to close all gyms. So yeah this will be the worse week yet.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Is Arizona in the California region? :D

I think we need to pick someone dramatically younger and more liberal than Biden, so I'm not so sure on either Harris or Klobuchar. I like the idea of a Latina from Arizona. Someone go find one. Might I recommend Y2Kevina Bugga. Soy numero uno. I mean ella es numero uno.

Agreed. Biden's weakest voting bloc seems to be Latino voters. Grisham would be a sensible choice.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The former Surgeons General was just on CNN and after he spoke, it was refreshing to hear competence compared to what the current administration is doing. The hosts looked like they were thinking the same thing but prevented themselves from saying it lols

Status
Not open for further replies.