• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like most states are waiting until its too late to close schools.
How will NYC kids get fed and homeless kids get housed during day? There has to be a solution for this before the schools get shut down.

114k kids are homeless. Far more only get meals through school. There has to be a funding solution for that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is NYC getting to the point yet where people are bailing out of the city?

I imagine that is soon.

Good luck America I guess.

Edit: oh, well it looks like it's starting to happen right now. Awesome.

We're fucked.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people crowding into airports? Because of the travel ban? Are people trying to fly into or out of NPC/Chicago? Sorry I'm a bit lost.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Tapper thread that spells out that Republicans were basically opposed to any kind of paid leave

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people crowding into airports? Because of the travel ban? Are people trying to fly into or out of NPC/Chicago? Sorry I'm a bit lost.

The panic is setting in because we have virtually zero federal or state guidance, nationwide.

Good luck us. People are leaving the population centers if they have the means and somewhere else to go.

This is very, very, very bad.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
How will NYC kids get fed and homeless kids get housed during day? There has to be a solution for this before the schools get shut down.

114k kids are homeless. Far more only get meals through school. There has to be a funding solution for that.
This has been my husband's nightmare and project for the last few days. We don't have anywhere near that many kids who are homeless or go without (so far as we know.) He was able to, in about 48 hours, by throwing enough money at the problem arrange to feed as many as 300 kids over the next 3 weeks. it took him less than 2 days to do this. Our local city is supposedly going to try to file paperwork to provide lunches for kids on Monday. That's when they're going to file whatever they have to. it takes about a week or so to get approval and start back up, apparently. So that's at least a week kids are just supposed to starve?
God. I cannot with this fucking shit. Literally starving children because we don't have a semi intelligent president.

UGH.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like there is a new screening process in place, I have no idea what it is, but it's obviously creating waaaaaaaaaaaay more problem that it can possibly solve, whatever they did it need to be rolled back, now.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can a city or state lockdown itself or is federal cooperation required?
I have no idea about the legality of this, especially not when everyone is in a state of emergency that grant the government a whole lot of powers, but I think if you do it without federal coordination you will see massive disruption of many supply chains, including critical ones.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
We got to expect more from Congress, we really really do, we need to.
And if nothing else, we can't be celebrating this type as this amazing win for working people, even without those giant loopholes it falls massively short from what this country needs right now.
If that's a stopgap than fine, but get back right now and try to pass something on top that. The country needs a whole lot more support from the federal government.
What does "we have to expect more from Congress" have to do with it? Half the Hill is run by a party that wants to do nothing but cut taxes and that's it. The bill isn't the best that Dems could think of, it's the best that they can get passed with the Senate GOP.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not going to throw shade, you get it Gillum. (I just already thought we all thought he was gay?) but you uh need to make sure you and your friend have your stories straight. Don't invent a fake wedding if you were just hooking up.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yeah, weird federal paid sick leave is better than the no sick leave (not now, not ever) that was the alternative option.

You cannot shame the Republicans or the president into doing what you want. House Republicans have no incentive to yield (because we can safely pass legislation without them), and the president simply doesn't give a shit about anything but himself.

If the language in the bill means that the public health emergency supersedes the limitations (meaning they won't apply to COVID-19), then I think it's a good start, and it's not worth killing the whole bill just to try to get a permanent sick leave law when the crisis is already upon us.

Yup, you either pass something flawed to help some people, or you pass nothing and your must vulnerable constituents suffer.

It's not a level playing field when the other party has a base that is disproportionately richer and also in favor of destructive nihilism.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Damn those airport pics. Literally the only thing they could be screening for is a fever and that process has been solved in many of countries. They just ask you to take your hat off as you're walking in and they point a temp gun at you. You don't even have to stop moving.

Of course the US fucks up something this easy.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
The census took me less than 5 minutes to do. Now that everyone is stuck at home, no one has an excuse to not do it.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tapper thread that spells out that Republicans were basically opposed to any kind of paid leave

Of course they are. Y'all, get ready when they're gonna propose cash payments to companies in a few weeks.

These motherfuckers are so close to obliterating this society with shit like this.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Damn those airport pics. Literally the only thing they could be screening for is a fever and that process has been solved in many of countries. They just ask you to take your hat off as you're walking in and they point a temp gun at you. You don't even have to stop moving.

Of course the US fucks up something this easy.

It reminds me of one of those articles where experts assess something like infrastructure or health care with a letter grade, except it's in real time and it's obviously failing. Like, the cogs of government are starting to turn, but all the teeth are stripped.

Nobody gave a fuck about anything until it actually happened, and now everything needs it at once.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to throw shade, you get it Gillum.
He should own it first. Then he wouldn't have to engage in high-risk behavior at a hotel.

Yup, you either pass something flawed to help some people, or you pass nothing and your must vulnerable constituents suffer.

It's not a level playing field when the other party has a base that is disproportionately richer and also in favor of destructive nihilism.
I think the details coming out suggest that it is restricted even for the emergency declaration (the portions we had here used different language that suggested possibly different definitions, but the analysis seems to say that the restrictions cover everything).

But with the states that already have laws, and the number of companies that are making exceptions (through either virtue or shame), having some type of rule to help at least some people is better than having no rules and protecting no one.

Oct 25, 2017
Can a city or state lockdown itself or is federal cooperation required?
As someone who lived through a Hurricane Andrew, where it was closest to a lockdown state, IIRC it is up to the state to activate the National Guard and can do it under their different emergency powers. The problem is that individual states can't sustain that sort of operation without Federal assistance.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017

They had to cancel everything because your incompetent ass had to defund the CDC and all the fail-safes because a black man made fun of you one time. And then you classified meetings about COVID-19 since mid-January to try and salvage the one thing keeping you in office. What reason is there to talk about coronavirus in a fricking SCIF?

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
He should own it first. Then he wouldn't have to engage in high-risk behavior at a hotel.
I think it's difficult. It's easy for me to agree, being a white man who has no real political ambitions to be like...just be out. But if he is gay, he's a gay man living in the south trying to have a role in Florida politics. It's not the 90s anymore, but in some parts of Florida it's the 1890s. So, if he's closeted, I get it.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
The panic is setting in because we have virtually zero federal or state guidance, nationwide.

Good luck us. People are leaving the population centers if they have the means and somewhere else to go.

This is very, very, very bad.

I just noticed this guy is banned. No clue what for but the slow observance of this posters loss on reality has been so noticeable. It's crazy how some people are just absolutely nuts when it comes to politics and today's climate. Like Jesus go outside. Take a deep breath. Get the fuck off the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.