• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the buzzfeed report did more bad than good even if it was well intentioned. We will not know the truth until the actual Mueller investigation wraps up but for now, the cons and orange shit will take another win from the media. Fuck them.

Oct 26, 2017
I always assumed Trump heavily implied Cohen lie about it to Congress. I doubt he used the words lie or told him directly what to say, but was more a kin to "Cohen you've been very loyal to me and I hope you do the right thing in the hearing."

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
WI7TlvH.gif
tumblr_nt84nngcep1qehu0oo1_250.gif

tumblr_nt84nngcep1qehu0oo2_400.gif

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing there likely was some coordinated effort to get Cohen to lie. But it wasn't Trump directly going, "lie to Congress."

Mueller likely spoke up because of all the obstruction talk and growing impeachment calls. There's meat to the story, but it's not the clear cut obstruction Eureka! moment Buzzfeed sold it as.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I know you know this, but this makes no sense as a strategy. Even if the Senate were to pass something, Pelosi can put it up for a vote and it will be voted down in the House. Pelosi has that perk in that she knows she can put something up and it will NOT pass, whereas McConnell is not putting something up because he fears it will. McConnell had already said he's operating based on Trump's blessing, therefore, any "deal" has to be between Trump and the House since McConnell has already passed on his responsibilities wholely to Trump's whim.
Yeah, absolutely. It just seems like the kind of logic they're likely to employ. "2/3 of the government agrees, only PELOSI is in the way of people getting paid!"

It's depressing but I think the "both sides" media would be happy to run with that.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed Trump heavily implied Cohen lie about it to Congress. I doubt he used the words lie or told him directly what to say, but was more a kin to "Cohen you've been very loyal to me and I hope you do the right thing in the hearing."

Yeah, it's possible Trump "told" Cohen to lie to Congress in the way that he "told" Comey to end the Russia investigation - insofar as he heavily implied that's what he wanted Cohen to do, but didn't literally say "lie to Congress".

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

The new TX house speaker will not bring a bathroom bill to the floor.

People got worried when the former moderate-ish speaker retired last year because they thought he'd be replaced with a whackadoo who would put up abortion bans and bathroom bills.

I imagine our gaining 13 seats and cutting their margins helped to some extent.

I also think that TX, probably the stereotypical business Republican state, got spooked by what happened to NC. There seems to be little appetite for that bullshit there, as evidenced by his comment that the members aren't interested.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
It's a broad statement but yeah. Not a good thing. God flippin' dammit.
Eh, the end of All the President's Men is Woodward and Bernstein literally getting something wrong. I'm not saying these guys are on that level, but mistakes are gonna happen.

Given the import of the articles revelations, the special counsel not outright denying it could be kind of heartening.

Edit: FWIW

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing there likely was some coordinated effort to get Cohen to lie. But it wasn't Trump directly going, "lie to Congress."

Mueller likely spoke up because of all the obstruction talk and growing impeachment calls. There's meat to the story, but it's not the clear cut obstruction Eureka! moment Buzzfeed sold it as.
Tbh I think Mueller is buying time, members of Congress were starting to get itchy and demand info from the SCO given how serious this is and Mueller found a technicality or two to calm down the waters.

Story is too big for Buzzfeed to royally fuck it up.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Your first mistake was ever expecting Mueller to save the country from Trump
Indeed. Trump will not be indicted and will not be impeached. Those facts have remained unchanged since 2017.

For the citizen, all our focus should be on 2020 (Congress will work to expose the sheer breadth of corruption in this administration, as they should).

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
To me this seems more of like a "STOP IT Buzzfeed let us work"

UPDATE: CNN says Buzzfeed just updated their statement with "stay tuned"

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh I think Mueller is buying time, members of Congress were starting to get itchy and demand info from the SCO given how serious this is and Mueller found a technicality or two to calm down the waters.

Story is too big for Buzzfeed to royally fuck it up.
Or maybe they don't want other investigations to start based on bad info. If the dossier had not come out yet and somebody got parts of it wrong, they would do the same thing. I think it's going to be a clarification about evidence and/or potential crime specifics.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably only me and my ever growing pessimism, but deep down I cant help but wonder if the Mueller Report might ultimately clear trump because there is not enough corroborating evidence.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably only me and my ever growing pessimism, but deep down I cant help but wonder if the Mueller Report might ultimately clear trump because there is not enough corroborating evidence.

I think if he gets cleared, it's because, essentially "He was too stupid to know what he was being manipulated into doing".

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017

Probably. I have no expectations for Mueller, he got some Russians, Manafort gave poll data to Russians, etc. Trump just yesterday put Pelosi's life in danger because he "counterpunches" and is using hundreds of thousands of people in an effort to get a wall. I don't expect impeachment, I want a good democratic candidate.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
You only get to shoot at a wanna be mob boss once. As well as the president.

If don't want to whiff, even though McConnell and the senate will protect him.

This is also how investigations are supposed to go, that take a long time to make sure they have all the facts so they don't get caught off-guard in the court room. It's not like tv shows about police prodecurals where everything is over in 24 hours.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

He's guilty as sin. But nothing is going to happen to Trump. The GOP will not do anything to him. Mitch McConnell will not allow anything to happen to him.

The entire GOP needs to go. That much is clear.

Jan 15, 2019
It's 100% a PR stunt. I bet it will include some immigration proposal that republicans and trump himself will never accept in exchange for the wall, it's a bluff.
Yes, I think it's far more likely that it's a ploy to say "we're trying to compromise and the open border dems just won't negotiate" rather than a sincere attempt at negotiation, because if good-faith compromises were of interest to the GOP the govt would not be shut down this very moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.