Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what emoji he used to convey as much.
ios-10-shrug-emoji.jpg

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand what people hope to achieve by complaining about complacency to a bunch of hyper engaged politics nuts.
I've facetiously referred to Post-Trump Stress Disorder before, but I think it's an actual phenomenon.

I don't mean people who are concerned about and angry at this administration. We all should be screaming at them, voting against them, combating their odious views through protest and legislation at the federal and state level.

I mean people who were so deeply scarred by 2016 that they reflexively reject any good or even decent news.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Jeff Flake is the biggest fucking fraud in the Senate. Total corrupt douchebag who actually paved the way for Kavanaugh's confirmation. It was a brilliant move in hindsight to get Simply Susan on board.

It's terribly sad however that the media writ large fell for his stunt and still believe he is a "moderate". HE IS NOT!!

Nov 20, 2017
Arizona:

(Of note: Dr. Hiral had a more R electorate - R+20 I think - during her special election, and still came within 5 of Debbie Lesko.)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Michelle Wolff's set at the last corespondents dinner.

Oh where she destroyed that poor woman's life? With that razor coated nuclear barb about the mere fact that she wears makeup? A joke that literally had no reliance on appearance? A joke that would have worked just as well with a hat she wore a lot
Anyway her life was destroyed. Everything is upside down for her now.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think if we get the House, we should be passing a bunch of progressive legislation and either daring the Senate to do something with it (if we don't win it, too) or daring Trump to veto it.

I'm sure that will happen but it is really beneficial? The House GOP has passed literally hundreds of crazy right wing bills that won't go anywhere and nobody really cares. I'm sure it mattered at some point when people cared about issues more than their team and didn't get their news by tweet

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Oh where she destroyed that poor woman's life? With that razor coated nuclear barb about the mere fact that she wears makeup? A joke that literally had no reliance on appearance? A joke that would have worked just as well with a hat she wore a lot
Anyway her life was destroyed. Everything is upside down for her now.
Maybelline is still shook.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You cannot make this stuff up. Every day a new low. Trump is suing the estate of the guy who died in a fire in Trump Tower, and the amount includes fees racked up after the guys death. Remember, this was the place with no sprinklers, because Trump successfully lobbied against the regulation which would have required sprinkers to be installed. He never mentioned the guy by name, or offered condolences to his family, instead his only mention was a tweet where he praised his own "well built building".

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/10/trump-tower-fire-board-sues-estate.html

Deleted member 2083

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The magnitude of the clobbering was just astounding.

FDR beat Alf Landon 523-8, losing only Maine and Vermont, with a popular vote of 60.8%-36.5%. In a popular case study in intro statistics classes, the highly respected Literary Digest poll predicted a landslide victory for Landon.

The House results were Democrats 334, Republicans 88, Progressive 8, Farmer-Labor 5

The Senate results were Democrats 74, Republicans 17, Famer-Labor 2, Progressive 1, Independent 1
I'd kill for that sort of majority in my lifetime.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It was somewhat illusory because a lot of them were racist southerners.
For 62 years starting in 1933, the Democrats controlled the House for all but four years and the Senate for all but ten but many of those majorities existed on paper only due to Dixiecrats. I think it was NBC's coverage of the 1980 election where for the House they kept separate tallies of Democrats vs Republicans and Liberals vs Conservatives (i.e. Republicans + Dixiecrats). Indeed while Democrats retained nominal control of the House that election, Reagan had a working Congressional majority to pass much of his legislative priorities.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure that will happen but it is really beneficial? The House GOP has passed literally hundreds of crazy right wing bills that won't go anywhere and nobody really cares. I'm sure it mattered at some point when people cared about issues more than their team and didn't get their news by tweet
I think the difference is the things the GOP passed are universally awful legislation so it's good they don't go anywhere obviously, but the Democrats will presumably be passing good legislation that people will want and if we don't get the Senate we could use the fact that Republicans refuse to bring that legislation up as an effective sandbag on their candidates going into 2020.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

God this is fucking crazyyy. For those who can't see, Minnesota's early voting in 2018 is blazing past even 2016, more than 50,000 ballots ahead.

Nearly 3 million people voted in 2016 and over 400,000 people have already voted (or requested? not totally sure).

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I was going to vote early but was weary of some early voting ballots being "lost" and not being counted. So I'll just make sure to show up early on November 6th. I also chatted with a fast food employee and the conversation went to politics and they said they won't vote because they don't like politics and no ride to the polling station. I'm tempted to go back there and tell them that I'd take them to their polling station if it meant they would vote. Young people need to take this more seriously.

Nov 20, 2017
I was going to vote early but was weary of some early voting ballots being "lost" and not being counted. So I'll just make sure to show up early on November 6th. I also chatted with a fast food employee and the conversation went to politics and they said they won't vote because they don't like politics and no ride to the polling station. I'm tempted to go back there and tell them that I'd take them to their polling station if it meant they would vote. Young people need to take this more seriously.

You should also tell them that Uber and Lyft are offering free Election Day rides!

https://www.fastcompany.com/9024711...ering-free-rides-to-the-polls-on-election-day

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile my absentee ballot was lost in the mail, so I have to have another one sent to me, maybe, and I don't know if it will get out to me in time to vote and sent it back since it's being sent to an address on the opposite coast and someone is going to have to overnight it to me.

Basically, I may end up spending 500 bucks for a same day coast to coast flight so I can vote and make sure it gets counted. Yay...

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I can only do early voting in Texas since I'm away from home most of the semester, so I sure hope my vote for Beto and all the other Dems doesn't magically get lost!

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
How was early voting in 2016? (I blacked it out)

Were there any worrying signs at this point two years ago?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

God this is fucking crazyyy. For those who can't see, Minnesota's early voting in 2018 is blazing past even 2016, more than 50,000 ballots ahead.

Nearly 3 million people voted in 2016 and over 400,000 people have already voted (or requested? not totally sure).

This is absolutely blowing my mind. Like seriously.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
For 62 years starting in 1933, the Democrats controlled the House for all but four years and the Senate for all but ten but many of those majorities existed on paper only due to Dixiecrats. I think it was NBC's coverage of the 1980 election where for the House they kept separate tallies of Democrats vs Republicans and Liberals vs Conservatives (i.e. Republicans + Dixiecrats). Indeed while Democrats retained nominal control of the House that election, Reagan had a working Congressional majority to pass much of his legislative priorities.

Yeah. My favorite trivia is to state that "the MS legislature flipped from Dem to GOP in 2011. What was the last year before that where the GOP had control?"

Never

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
How was early voting in 2016? (I blacked it out)

Were there any worrying signs at this point two years ago?
Things really fell apart after the Comey letter but I think the most worrisome sign (that people tended to shrug off) around this time from two years ago was how Clinton's position in Ohio polling was deteriorating.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Flake is the biggest fucking fraud in the Senate. Total corrupt douchebag who actually paved the way for Kavanaugh's confirmation. It was a brilliant move in hindsight to get Simply Susan on board.

It's terribly sad however that the media writ large fell for his stunt and still believe he is a "moderate". HE IS NOT!!
I don't know how anyone could listen to that speech of hers and think that her vote was ever really in doubt.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile my absentee ballot was lost in the mail, so I have to have another one sent to me, maybe, and I don't know if it will get out to me in time to vote and sent it back since it's being sent to an address on the opposite coast and someone is going to have to overnight it to me.

Basically, I may end up spending 500 bucks for a same day coast to coast flight so I can vote and make sure it gets counted. Yay...
That sucks dude. Is WA mail ballots only, or do they have places you can vote in person/vote early?

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks dude. Is WA mail ballots only, or do they have places you can vote in person/vote early?

Can I vote in-person?
Each county opens a voting center prior to each primary, special election, and general election. Each voting center is open during business hours during the voting period, which begins eighteen days before, and ends at 8:00 p.m. on the day of, the primary, special election, or general election.

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to give out too many personal details, but suffice to say I have two options right now for voting in November as far as I can tell. They mail me out a new ballot, a family member gets it for me and overnights it to where I am (cost of like 50 bucks, but whatever), I vote, mail it, and it gets in on time. Alternatively I book a same day flight to get to my polling location in the morning, vote, then fly back same day.

And, to be honest, I'm not super complaining about it, because I value voting (unlike that mod who did a "woe is me" thread) and I have the means to do it. It's just frustrating because I hate doing absentee voting, or basically not voting in person all the time. And I feel like every time I've had to do absentee voting, it's been a bad election (results-wise).

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Glad there's other options if something goes wrong with the mail. Except in McDoogle's case, where it doesn't help at all.

edit: you know, if you have friends in the area...
i'm just saying, hypothetically, if someone were to instruct another person on what votes to cast on their ballot for them, is that vote fraud? and if it was, how would they prove it?
... of course i would NEVER recommend doing something like this haha that would be bad. if it is illegal. which it might be. and that's terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.