• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently they were concerned about legal trouble or confusion with Conan O'Brien and/or Conan the Barbarian. As for the character renaming, that's all TMS as I understand it. They desperately wanted to market Detective Conan to kids in the US, even after it was clear it would definitely not air in a kids time slot, and for Japanese studios at the time, that means renaming characters.
so there is the reason why characters were renamed in europe too. These days people are more open minded

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
In French it's Tic et Tac, rangeurs du risque.

And the Sailor Moon theme is nightmare inducing:

Yeah , in france it's like the candy...
tictacyejp6.jpg

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Before this show they were called A-Hörnchen & B-Hörnchen wich translates roughly into A-Corn/Squirrel and B-Corn/Squirrel. Wich is even weirder.

Oct 25, 2017
Since we are talking about this now, you cannot even imagine how disgusted I was when I heard the US DBZ theme for the first time.
That was my first clue that the US might not be as great as everybody told me.

They don't even get the pun!!!

I could tell you stories about the German translation of The Simpsons that would make you cry a rift in space and time (nobody will get this joke)

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude renaming is in all regions pretty appearent.

Especially Disney characters.

But for example Isabelle from Animal Crossing is Melinda over here in Germany.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I need to know what chipmunks are called in your countries. If they're called piff or puffs then it makes sense. Otherwise?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Wait till you find out the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" are called the "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" in Germany, because Ninjas are violent.

We inherited the title (and the cuts) from the UK because that version was dubbed into german, the uncut US version could have been used it just wasn't.

I never actually saw this show. How does stripping play into it?
The Chippendales were (are?) a group of male strippers.

1) This is amazing.

2) I don't speak any German, but if I heard right Splinter is Raphael? And Raph and Mikey have different names?
The names weren't changed, they just don't line up with the visuals in the german version.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The German Gargoyles Intro has a Voice-over that makes it almost comically epic. Still getting goosebumps XD

Amakusa

Powered by Friendship™
Nov 2, 2017
German kids didn't get the goat opening theme?

This world is cruel...

I used to watch this series as a kid and it had its well known original theme back then. Going by the video in the link, this is a re-run on a different TV channel. I don't know why they changed it, though.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I used to watch this series as a kid and it had its well known original theme back then. Going by the video in the link, this is a re-run on a different TV channel. I don't know why they changed it, though.
I watched it on RTL when it was first aired in the 90s, it definitely used this awful opening back then, I remember cringing every weekend when I sat through that intro.

Dec 2, 2017
Ducktales did this as well.

Uncle Scrooge is Onkel Dagobert.

Huey, Dewey, and Louie are Tick, Trick und Track.

Flintheart Glomgold is Mac Moneysac.

The Beagle Boys are called Die Panzerknacker (the armour breakers).

Magica de Spell is called Gundel Gaukeley.

Sie sind gehimnisvoll, doch sie sind supertoll!!

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Donald Duck is named Karl Magnus Anka in Sweden, though he usually goes by Kalle Anka.

Goofy is called Långben, which literally means "long leg", or if you really want to get interesting, "long bone".

I don't question these things. They just are.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The German Gargoyles Intro has a Voice-over that makes it almost comically epic. Still getting goosebumps XD

His voice is still amazing - they just don't do dubs like this anymore.

Could never get in board with Huey, Dewey and Louie. Tick, Trick und Tracks for live!

Also never forget the Goof Troop intro - it is also amazing in German.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
His voice is still amazing - they just don't do dubs like this anymore.

Could never get in board with Huey, Dewey and Louie. Tick, Trick und Tracks for live!

Also never forget the Goof Troop intro - it is also amazing in German.

Portugal it's Zezinho, Luisinho and Huguinho =) the "inho" ending is basically something little, very much like German's "chen", with Zé, Luís and Hugo being fairly common names. So for other languages to understand, let's say... "gato" (cat). "gatinho" = little cat.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
In Denmark we call them Chip & Chap too.

Cinderella is called "Askepot" which means "ash pot"

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Gummi Bears are Bumbi bears in Sweden, the popular theory being because of the connotations gummi (rubber) has with condoms.

Also Moana is "Vaiana" in Europe.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Wait till you find out the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" are called the "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" in Germany, because Ninjas are violent.

Ah, good old Frank Zander singing that song! ♫ ♫ Hey, jetzt kommen die Hero Turtles ♫ ♫

Also... why would anyone call one chipmunk Chip and the other one... Dale?? Chip and Chap only makes sense.

By the way, I only now realised that "Käpt'n Balu und seine tollkühne Crew" is simply TaleSpin in English :O

GOAT intro song:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Also the currency becomes "Taler" ("coin") rather than dollars.

The scientist (dunno his original name) is called Daniel Düsentrieb (Daniel Jetthrust)

Last edited:

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
The Arabic intro for Batman TAS was something else. Here you go

And here are the lyrics (my Arabic is rusty af)
[Chorus]
Batman
Batman
Batman
Batman
Batman
Batman

The guardian who does not fear evil
From his cave he springs out like thunder
He walks the streets seeking truth
Mystery has no place here
Our hero is an honest spirit who uncovers the truth
A light shines downtown calling for our hero
Which appears and disappears - this is the signal for Batman
A light shines downtown calling for our hero
Which appears and disappears - this is the signal for Batman

[Break]
Batman!
Batman!
Batman!
Batman!Batman! Batman!

[Repeat Chorus]
Batman
Batman
Batman
Batman
Batman
Batman

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Ducktales 2017 needs Mac Moneysac now.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Since we are talking about this now, you cannot even imagine how disgusted I was when I heard the US DBZ theme for the first time.
That was my first clue that the US might not be as great as everybody told me.

I could tell you stories about the German translation of The Simpsons that would make you cry a rift in space and time (nobody will get this joke)
"What about that tattoo on your chest? Doesn't it say 'Die Bart Die'?"

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
oooohhhhhh

so that's the reason. back when i was a kid, i remember some episodes where they were called Chip & Chop out of nowhere and it was super confusing since in almost every other episode they were called Chip & Dale.

also, this is probably even weirder than most people since i ended up hearing both names in the same dub (i'm in Latin America) and there's also the fact they gave zero fucks about the puns and just used the same names as in the US despite them having zero sense in spanish like that (in this thread is where i first heard of the pun's source).

But for example Isabelle from Animal Crossing is Melinda over here in Germany.

bringing in videogame characters there's several changes that make no sense.

my biggest grip is Rosalina.
she has like a different name in every language that is supported by the game she's in. you get all of this: Rosalina, Rosetta, Estela, Harmonie, etc (can't remember the others)
i discovered this one time someone asked me if i saw her reveal trailer back in the SSB4 days but used the spanish name and i was like "who the hell is that?" and then they showed me and i was like "wut?"

and that's not all of it. other characters could be very confusing. for Splatoon the Squid Sisters have different names in every language. this might be like "okay they need to change the names to make the puns work" but then you get this: in one language Marie is called Marina. and then in Splatoon 2 one of the hosts is called Marina and confusion ensues (though not directly since it's different languages)
oh and there's one language where Isabelle is called Marie.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
No one posting the top tier German Digimon opening

Speaking of German, Goku's German VA is the best one regardless of how shitty a franchise it is and how worthless Z and above are.

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, as others pointed out earlier, this and the onslaught of editing was Thatcher-era UK's fault. It seemed to have happened as a consequence of similar concerns surrounding "video nasties" in the 80s.

Wait, no one has posted Captain Future yet? Are you nuts?
The English theme is a bop in itself, but at the same time never fails to make me laugh.

This sounds incredibly stupid, but has a country ever dubbed over another countries show or movie despite them speaking the same language? I'm American and I can't think of any examples but has America ever did that to a English show? Or has Spain ever did that to a Mexican show?
This happens all the time in English with kids and family shows, especially when pre-school aimed (think Bob The Builder); they redub the show to match the target markets dialect.