• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when ND killed the Uncharted 2 MP.

Last one, CoD constant updates and the rotation of game modes made me stop playing.

Clockblockers

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Mass Effect Andromeda's MP update that basically added three alternate version of nearly every gun in the game. I put a ton of time into the ME3 MP and still go back from time to time but Andromeda never grabbed me the same way (both the SP and MP) and the weapons additions made the grind to get good gear so unappealing that I dropped it all together pretty quickly.

I still love ME3 MP, I really wish it would have went F2P and they just kept updating that one

Nov 7, 2019
Can't play Smash Ultimate because they changed Link to make him not play the same anymore. I do not want to play a different character, I do not want to play Young Link.

Oct 26, 2017
Skyrim on PS3 was perfectly fine until they started patching. Was having a great time until a patch then boom, laggy ass dragons flying backwards.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Dark Souls 1, patch 1.06

It fixed a lot of the fun glitches and nerfed some other aspects for the sake of balance, but I've put hundreds of hours (if not 1000+) into the original and remaster, and I have to say that I enjoyed it the most prior to that patch.

It also introduced the DLC features; I wasn't a huge fan of that either, particularly due to the op dark magic in pvp. Back then, I played through the DLC once on release and never touched the game again until the remaster came out.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Really thought this was going to be about the Modern Warfare patch sizes and frequency. Because fuck that. The game is ridiculous.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
i dailied Overwatch until Hanzo was changed a year after launch. Removing the multi scattershot arrow. It may have been a bit OP with the one shot kills. But then Hanzo himself had like 200 health. or 250. No defense other then his abilities or running away up a wall. Easy to kill IMO. Sucks that I never had a choice in which way Hanzo played. It was fun using that .

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
FFXI post 75 expansions, years of careful balancing and player progression thrown in the toilet for loot treadmill bullshit.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
EverQuest, They gave Druids and Shaman healing spells almost as good as Clerics (which I played) so it made it difficult to get groups since why not go for the more versatile classes instead of the focused one. I became a resurrection bot and only needed for raids.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Leroy Smith release soured me definitely on Tekken 7 and my opinion of the devs is an all time low. Didn't feel the urge to reinstall it, and I don't think I will. Will be back for T8 only if it got well implemented rollback.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
It didn't take, but I dropped GTA Online for a year after I spent like a hundred bucks on shark cards for the Gunrunning update only for all my bunker research progress to completely reset.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Starcraft 2, Broodlord + Swarmhost meta. Blizzard balance philosophy just sucks 100%. They let absolute awful situations just fester for way too long. After going to dota where the pace of changes to make the game healthy is so much faster this has become even more noticeable to me.
Hearthstone the Hunter Buzzard meta.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
BFV the thread..

Halo 2, been playing Halo PC for over a year waiting for H2, re-adjusting to the controller didn't take long, Halo PC is the only FPS I can say I was god like, too bad I don't have my AMVs to prove it but I could get a killtacular 1 pistol clip with ease on regular, Bungie notice god like players and removed the pistol for magnum, didn't take long to realize dual mags was Halo 1 pistol, the bitching on Bungie's forum was crazy, the update that nerfed dual mags and increased nade damage to instant kill was the last time i played Halo 2 on Xbox live, it's bad enough had to put up with stand by cunts, you go and nerf my fun....

Dec 3, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Overwatch - after the thousandth time that they messed with Mercy's abilities.

Hard life out there for a Mercy main.

It was this for me, as well. Way back when Resurrection was removed as her Ultimate, it already bummed me out.

I was even playing Competitive, which is something I never do in online games, and had a blast. I dropped out of it with the first changes. Then they kept messing with her kit further and further and most of my motivation to play OW went away.

I came back for a time to play as DPS and had fun, and when Brigitte came out I really loved playing as her. Then they started changing her stats and kit tol, and I just deleted OW altogether forever :)

Oct 25, 2017
Cities Skylines did 'something' to its PC version that changed the graphical settings and then in time there was a mod to remove these settings. I'm not near my PC to check, but can anybody remember this?

I want to know if this 'something' has carried over to the console versions. No I don't expect mods to be able to be used, but still.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars Galaxies new combat update. They tried going after the WoW audience and totally fucked up the game. I loved that game so much before the update. Jump to Lightspeed was legit af too.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've mostly stopped playing World of Warcraft after Mists of Pandaria, outside of a short stint in Legion and then a small return for the Classic servers. The main contention that I've had is with the major pruning of class abilities and I strongly disliked where they were taking class design in general. Not to mention all the slow changes that deviate from Classic over the years that I on one hand understand but also don't enjoy. There's just not much reason for me to continue playing unless I'm doing hardcore raiding and I don't have much time for that anymore.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
They released a "pay to win" character so broken everybody saw it day one, from normal to professionnal players (One highly competitive tournament got 6/8 Leroy in Top 8, and one of them learned the character for the first time the same day). It was so hilariously over the top it couldn't have been an accident.
www.oneesports.gg

Knee: "Leroy Smith is destroying competitive Tekken"

The Tekken God feels that Leroy should be banned from official tournaments.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
The market update to Rocket League that removed random crates.

Not having random crates and being able to choose if you want to spend money to get a specific item is fine...not the issue. The problem, is that the ONLY way to get those items is to spend money and all of the good stuff is extremely expensive. 2000+ credits for a "Black Market" item, $25 for 3000 credits (bulk discount, $1 = 100 credits.) Before, with the season pass stuff you would at least earn a way to open a crate every 10 levels. Most of the time it wouldn't be anything I'd want anyway, but I was at least getting something by playing since I wasn't ever playing competitively or anything like that. Game stopped being fun when there wasn't anything for me to work towards. Played it since getting it through PS+ at release and then getting it on PC through Humble Monthly....723 hours on PC and probably the same amount on PS4.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Trackmania 2 Canyon. Maniaplanet 4 update made changes to car physics and made all records for the past 5 years invalid. Why would you do that after 5 fucking years?

Fuck you Nadeo.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Way too many.

TF2 going F2P, Rocket League following every single money grubbing scheme that was popular at that moment (plus killing my favorite playlists and moving them to ranked, I think), Overwatch changing the only characters I cared about (same for WoW), etc. There are more but that's enough for now.

Oct 29, 2017
The Arktech Revolution update for Defiance. It's been years so I don't remember the precise details but basically it introduced a new microtransaction currency and overhauled the weapon upgrade system so that as you leveled up, your weapons got weaker in relation to your level-- unless you upgraded them using, you guessed it, the new currency. Before that, Defiance was a pretty fun, if extremely janky, game. The truly insulting part is that it wasn't even a free update, it was a $10 DLC.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They released a "pay to win" character so broken everybody saw it day one, from normal to professionnal players (One highly competitive tournament got 6/8 Leroy in Top 8, and one of them learned the character for the first time the same day). It was so hilariously over the top it couldn't have been an accident.
www.oneesports.gg

Knee: "Leroy Smith is destroying competitive Tekken"

The Tekken God feels that Leroy should be banned from official tournaments.
Makes so much sense. That's why I avoid him when I play online, his parry is gamebreaking. Luckily not a lot of people play him online.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
When they added the crates/keys to Rocket League
I didn't mind crates and keys but the new blueprint system means you basically need to pay a reasonable chunk of cash to unlock anything cool. Before that you at least had a chance for something cool for frèe through RNG.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
When they nerfed armor lock and removed bloom in Halo Reach. Yeah, I was one of those.

I would say that it is rare for bugs or updates to turn me away from the game if I am enjoying it a lot prior. If I do go away I usually intend to come back. Far more often I already have grievances that do not get addressed, sometimes get worse or the update feels uninteresting and ultimately inconsequential. Destiny had this on and off for me. While I still enjoyed playing it rarely do I feel the excitement in any of the goals or additions.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Rainbow 6 siege.

Removed secure area, removed some of my favourite maps from ranked.

Oct 27, 2017
Last one, CoD constant updates and the rotation of game modes made me stop playing.

This pissed me off, especially coming from a game that was crossplay with so many more potential players than ever before. There should've been every godamn mode under the sun for this one. That was only one of the many grievances I had with the new COD(I take it you mean the new MW).

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Leroy Smith release soured me definitely on Tekken 7 and my opinion of the devs is an all time low. Didn't feel the urge to reinstall it, and I don't think I will. Will be back for T8 only if it got well implemented rollback.
I was able to withstand that atrocious period by not playing online for months. I knew it would sour me on the game had I tried to fight through it, and I have to say that overall the game is decently balanced right now. Not perfect of course, but decent.

Amazingly, they had to plug in 70+ nerfs to Leroy by my count to make him balanced compared to launch. I've never heard of something that poorly implemented in the history of competitive video games.

I'm actually looking forward to the next announced balance patch since they've done a good job with the last few updates. I think the developer knows how much they screwed up with Leroy (and the terrible Mishima hellsweep buff, which was reverted back).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I got No Man's Sky like two weeks before launch and I was having some fun with it but found it kinda boring.

The day one patch and the first few title updates kinda broke the game for me and ruined whatever fun I was having until I traded it in.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Overwatch's Roadhog 15% damage nerf, the far away shot nerf I understood but the upclose shot damage nerf was bs.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOCOM: Confrontation. It was an abortion at launch to begin with. Subsequent updates did nothing to fix the game. I ditched it entirely after two months. Slant 6 was a terrible developer. I'm glad they're gone.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I wouldn't say it made me stop playing, since I still revisit it on occasion, but EA/Dice giving into the whining and "fixing" Battlefront 2 took it out of my frequently played list.

I went from progressing and unlocking things fairly fast(had all heroes unlocked in 3 days after launch) to working fucking weeks just to get a costume or pose. I hate that they fixed something that was never even broken and destroyed the progression.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 2 randomly ruining its ttk back in the day. I use to play that multiplayer a lot, which is saying something considering it was active when MW2, Bad Company 2, and Red Dead were out. It was so fun, but then the ttk was ruined and I never returned. I bought the map packs for that game too, so middle school me was feeling pretty burned by that patch. Last of Us getting all those dlc guns that ruined the pacing and balance of the game as well. I remember returning to the multiplayer around a year, or maybe more, after the ps4 remaster came out, and I was baffled as to why they did that. Never returned after that.

BFV killed itself twice over it's ttk patches. The ttk and gunplay were the only things that the majority of the players liked. However, the game had an issue with maintaining a healthy playerbase since new players were constantly getting churned out, and so they would use weapon damage and health numbers to tweak it. Neither of the ttk patches ever helped with getting new players to stick around, and all it did was cause regular players to drop the game. It's a shame, because October and November of 2019 was a point where the game was really starting to come together, and then the ttk patch killed the momentum for good.

I recall Battlefield 1 receiving a ttk patch as well, and some complained, but I don't recall noticing it as negative; there was an ammo and grenade rework patch that was supposed to happen, but the community shouted it down before it could be finalized. Based on the commotion at the time. i would imagine that being a game ruining patch for some, but instead BF1 is a still a good time to this day

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
They nerfed rolento in SFxT. Dropped.
They nerfed Birdie in SFV. Dropped.
Various patches/gamemodes broke stuff in CODMW. Dropped.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Bionic Commando Rearmed - I really love this game, but for some reason it got an update where if you're playing coop on normal, you basically have unlimited lives, completely removing the challenge of the game, also this setting wasn't even optional. We were playing it with a friend and we just stopped because it wasn't as fun. Hard difficulty did have limited lives, but it was too hard for someone who didn't finish the game the first time (like my friend in my case).

So, with the update if you want to play coop, you get a super easy game or a super hard one, no balanced middle ground difficulty as the original release.

I have to say if you're playing it in single player it's one of the best games ever

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I didn't fully quit the game, but I played RuneScape a lot less after they added the Evolution of Combat in late 2012.

Like I managed the infamous 2007 update that removed player killing in the Wilderness and free trade (although both those changed had been reversed by the time EOC happened) but like I had been playing RS for over six years at this point (began in February 2006), I did not have the time nor patience to relearn the entire combat system from zero.

Luckily tho, the launch of Old School RuneScape meant I could play the version of the game I remembered without all these changes (and don't even get me started on the microtransactions in the main game), even if I did have to start over from zero in that version of the game.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
BF5 and the TTK bullshit. What's incredible is the first time they did there was so much uproar it scared them straight into reverting it back to the original. Yet they had the fucking gaul to change it yet again months later! That's when I bailed.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Gwent for me. I was playing it quite regularly at earlier stages. Originally it felt similar to Gwent from TW3, but more complex, supported by really cool singleplayer story-driven events. Then they did this massive update that basically broke the game to the point they announced a need to do a solid reboot to keep it going. A new Homecoming update, which drastically changed the game was a good choice, but its changes made me uninterested in playing, because it lacks the spirit of original Gwent.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Valve essentially killed off community servers with their big matchmaking update in Team Fortress 2 and made it near-impossible to find a populated Special Delivery match, so I quit playing.

Yup, second this. I don't understand the posts about the F2P update, as I think TF2's best days were probably in the years following the F2P decision. But the matchmaking update seemed to go out of its ways to kill community servers and a bunch of the less popular game modes, in order to funnel everyone into the more "standard" modes and maps that would be used in ranked. I always thought competitive TF2 deserved more love, so I was cautiously optimistic at first, but the ranked queue times were insane and nobody wanted to play that rule set - it was too little too late. So the ranked mode died, and after that the devs apparently decided to abandon the game completely. Now the official Valve servers (basically the only place to easily find games anymore) are full of nothing but hackers and cheaters. They killed off the community of that game for no reason. It's sad.

Rainbow 6 siege.

Removed secure area, removed some of my favourite maps from ranked.

This too. I couldn't point to a specific update that made me lose interest in Siege, but the trend for that game has been less about adding cool new content, and more of a Ship of Theseus situation, where they've slowly replaced the old Siege game I enjoyed with this strange shadow that I barely recognize.

Some old maps I enjoyed have been removed from all public playlists (and apparently even private matches at this point, but I haven't played in a while to verify). Many others have been "redesigned" in a way that consistently comes out feeling bland and lifeless afterwards, a pattern that has carried over into most of their brand new maps as well. They also removed the ability to play night versions of maps, removing variety on the few maps left I still enjoy. The last few times I've logged on, it felt like there was maybe a 25% chance of me playing on a map I actually enjoy. I don't know if the map designers changed or what, but the designs have felt like they've been going consistently downhill since sometime near the end of season 2.

The Devs at Ubisoft recognized a fundamental issue with the engine for their game that limited their ability to add new content, but intead of taking the opportunity to start from scratch and release a sequel built on a solid foundation, they instead opted to just slowly overwrite the existing game until a new one emerged, which makes it impossible for me to go back and play the game in the way I used to really enjoy.

They're apparently about to start doing the same thing with Operators too - adding fewer new ones in favor of "reworking" the old ones. Based on the mechanics on the new operators they've added over the past few seasons, I don't have much faith that these reworked characters will turn out any better than the reworked maps.

A pro might say the game is more balanced now, I'm not sure, but it definitely feels a lot less fun for me to play.

It's going to be weird looking back in 10 years, knowing that so many of the experiences I've really enjoyed with my friends can never be recreated, because the game we connected through no longer exists anywhere. It's a major downside of these service-style multiplayer games that we've all kind of just accepted as a necesarry evil to keep content flowing and the meta interesting.