• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I'm talking about bugs or drastic changes that made an, otherwise, enjoyable game become less interesting or unplayable. Right now I can't play XCOM 2 with mods and that is a shame because I was about to start my third playthrough.

Bonus: I can't even start Halo 2 because there is an error every 2-3 gigas of download.... Thanks Obama.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
When No Man's Sky got that big update a couple years ago that added the portable refinery or whatever and completely changed a lot of the elements/resource stuff. Game felt like it got much more tedious just to get basic resources due to that thing.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch - after the thousandth time that they messed with Mercy's abilities.

Hard life out there for a Mercy main.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
MGSV insurance update. You had to play online after that or you couldn't access most of your resources.

It was a flawed game already, but adding this in and forcing it on us all was literally enough to stop me from playing. Haven't touched it since

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Star Wars Galaxies was the poster child for this back in the day.
Completely destroyed everything people liked about the game, and killed it in the process.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Team Fortress 2 F2P update

Also, every time a game releases an update that adds bots to online matches

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Mafia 3 update to "Definitive Edition" on Xbone X. It looks like garbage now and I'm pretty sure it has bugs that were fixed years ago.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Happens a lot with MMOs that add FreeToPlay or introduce nasty grind/RNG

Otherwise some Fighting Games mix up the meta with balance changes (mostly nerfs) that just make things unfun and not worth diving back into

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
When No Man's Sky got that big update a couple years ago that added the portable refinery or whatever and completely changed a lot of the elements/resource stuff. Game felt like it got much more tedious just to get basic resources due to that thing.
They later added that you needed power supply for lights and tech within bases. Ruined my already built base and crushed any desire to build again. Big contributor why I finally stopped playing after 600 hours.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I can't play my steam copy of Beyond Good & Evil because an update forces French voices and locks out other settings and it hasn't been fixed. It also runs at like 2 frames per second.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Adding to this...

Every time No Mans Sky made an update, something about my home base would be irreparably fucked up. I've decided not to go back to the game until they're done with it I'm so frustrated with it. 3 tries and 113 hrs of play time, fuck that.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Do expansion packs count? Trials of Atlantis made Dark Age of Camelot super grindy in a not-fun-at-all way. Before you could get geared out for end game pvp relatively easily, but with TOA, you had to engage in all of these awfully buggy quests. They eventually mostly sorted it out and I was able to come back to the game later.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Does the actual update process count? I straight up bought Modern Warfare on the PC after the PS4 version had too many damn updates. Don't get me wrong, they both update frequently. But PSN's download speeds and the absolutely terrible unpacking process meant I missed playing the game for a number of nights. Just straight up could not play. Yes, I have auto everything on. It's just that bad.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Uncharted 2 MP when they fucked with the TTK. Multiplayer in every Naughty Dog game has been shit ever since.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ryu Season 2 nerfs in SFV. Taking away a mid-tier character's BnB combo -- one that remained in the tutorial/challenge mode, at that?

To be fair, Capcom purposefully botched the balance of Super SFIV's Arcade Edition and later boasted of making low-tier Dee Jay even worse in later patches, so that sort of fuckery wasn't a surprise.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They later added that you needed power supply for lights and tech within bases. Ruined my already built base and crushed any desire to build again. Big contributor why I finally stopped playing after 600 hours.
That's why I stopped messing with base building, they kinda ruined it.
I love NMS, but yeah this was a step too far IMO.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
This is gonna sound really nitpicky, but I pretty much stopped playing Plants vs. Zonbies when they changed the Dancing Zombie to the Disco Zombie (I understand why they did it, but...).

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
That's why I stopped messing with base building, they kinda ruined it.
I love NMS, but yeah this was a step too far IMO.
The wiring and jank associated with that was what did it. If the lights attached to powered cuboids or rooms used that same power - cool. If generators produced energy in the air a la Tesla Coils and as long as you have those spaces overlap - cool.

worrying about cable management felt like a personal attack at what the inside of my PC tower is like - or, what the back of my entertainment center looks like. I can't manage cords, I get it Sean. Stop attacking me :(

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I dropped Team Fortress 2 when they nerfed the axe + degreaser combo. I mean it was probably the right choice balance wise as it was ridiculous but I had a lot of fun getting behind enemy lines and surprise attacking snipers and medics at melee range.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ab1Qoqq.jpg

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
For me it was the opposite, I uninstalled and refused to play Civilization VI until the spyware/drm thing was removed. I have yet to install it again.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Ragnarok Online. First quitted after they introduced in game purchases which were not only cosmetic (the server I played had a monthly subscription).

Went back a few times, but then quitted for good with the renewal expansion (revamped the whole leveling system).

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Valve essentially killed off community servers with their big matchmaking update in Team Fortress 2 and made it near-impossible to find a populated Special Delivery match, so I quit playing.

Apr 20, 2020
When the new Minecraft UI got pushed to the ps4, I had to uninstall. The menus are ugly and stiff and the magnetism on the inventory cursor got reworked for some reason.

The whole thing is left feeling mechanical and obtuse.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Evolution of Combat update for Runescape. That update killed the game and thousands quit. They eventually realized it was a bad update and made a 07 version.

Oct 29, 2017
I started up MCC just today. I thought I would do a Halo 2 playthrough this week.

The frame rate is abysmal and the frequent drops into the 20s make it unplayable. People said it's been like this for months.

We are talking about the One X.

Way to fuck up a game that has been working perfectly and then not giving a damn.

I'm pissed.

Nahual Amini

Oct 30, 2017
PUBG on console. They forced to play with bots, changing the dynamics of battles, so I stopped playing until they add an option to play Solo without bots.

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
Overwatch Role queue.

I've already hated the game before with how horrible the balance updates to some of the heroes are but the role q was just too much for me since you can't play DPS unless you're willing to wait at least 20 mins after queuing

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Yeah seconding the Team Fortress 2 F2P update. I'm still saddened by the way TF2 went. One of the most wonderfully art directed games I've ever seen turned into what it is now.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
If we're counting expansions, there have been a couple WoW expansions that haven't held my interest and I end up quitting early on until the start of the next one (WoD and BFA being the two most notable examples.)