Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, crap yes lmao that makes sense

Considering Subject X arrived where she did alone and Ventus arrived at least for 14 years before KH1 when he met Xehanort, its very possible all 5 made the jump at different times. Elrena and Lauriam would have been the most recent too, considering it looks like they jumped and almost immediately became nobodies.

But holy fuck I like this idea of Ava being Kairi's grandmother only because Kairi allegedly has some odd importance to Hollow Bastion.
How ancient is Union X? I thought it was like milinnea ago. Much too ancient for Ava to be Kairi grandma.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps he wasn't able to confirm it directly, and Ava stayed behind and was replaced by another somehow...

Like, it's possible that he couldn't directly confirm it was all of them, since he was surprised when she didn't show up.
wasnt The report talking aboht Ephemer, Skulk, Brain, Lauriam and Ventus as the 5 leaders? Not Ava, Invi, Aced, Gula and Ira

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ava being Kairi's grandmother would be some crazy bullshit and I'm 100% here for it.

I love that we still have no idea what the Master and his little disciples really look like. I can't wait for all the dramatic unmasking moments and creative/colorful hairstyles~

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Okay, so since this is a spoiler thread about Re:Mind and it's privy to spoilers on KHUx, since we talked about the pod, I wanna bring up something big, REALLY big, that the January update brought to the forefront.

This is a video by somebody who has been cataloguing "The Full Story Of KHUx Explained," and in the newest part he's been piecing together information regarding both Re:Mind and the Jan Update that brings an immensely important plot point into the fold.

A small part of this is speculation, but everything else is firmly confirmed in the text, and is quite revealing about a threat that has been brewing for a long time in the canon thus far, and is super duper interesting.

Be Warned: Spoilers for both Union X and Re:Mind, not that you should be surprised considering where it is.

It blew my goddamn mind when he started bringing up the Anti-Black Coat. I was always thinking about that, going, "What in the world was that fight? It couldn't possibly just be some random thing protecting Sora from Riku, there has to be a purpose to it."

And you know what? Maybe it isn't Capital D-Arkness, who knows. Maybe they were particularly strong manifestations of darkness formed as Nightmares since they were in the realm of sleep. It's possible, sure.

But this? This ties it all toegether. When people say Kingdom Hearts retcons it's shit to hell and back, my eyes roll into the back of my skull. Stuff like this? This is respect. This is the lore of the series coming into all the right places.

This is the kind of "stupid shit" people heap praise upon praise onto Dark Souls for, taking the past and the written, and giving it meaning in the future. This is one of the reasons I love this series so much.

They are so concerned with tying up loose ends and making the most out of any opportunities they created in the past that they gave a reason for Mickey to lose his shirt in order to preserve continuity. Some call that stupid, I call that giving a shit.

Regardless, very interesting development, especially since Vanitas was way too big a deal considering the expanse of his power for him to become just another bit part in the finale. Who cares if Luxord (still love him) drove a car in an alternate universe, we might have our next series bad guy right now!

Let's look forward to more info as Union X comes to a close.

Regarding your spoiler.

The issue is that this lore and justification for the game is handled in a cell phone game no one wants to play instead of the games themselves. People praise Dark Souls because it's environmental data you have to piece together through talking with characters and the story builds as it goes, and never (as far as I can tell) requires additional material and additional platforms to make its story cohesive.

Calling them retcons may be too much, but when the supposed conclusion to the Xehanort "saga" ends with the plot beats pulled from a cell phone game and characters anyone who's played the main games won't know or understand without playing extended material instead of just using this material in a new game with a new continuity or just waiting for the next game to "bait" people with it, it comes off as forced.

The "stupid shit" that people praise Dark Souls for is that it tells you nothing really about its world and asks the players to engage, Kingdom Hearts would have you be told a justification in one game only to have a different justification in the next game to have a different justification in a cell phone game that then explains the conclusion of a main line title whose story threads continued on the PSP or something.

The difference is one has the player drawing conclusions on their experiences in the game while the other is trying to guide an experience while simultaneously changing the stakes and/or the players on the board almost constantly. Now even Xehanort has no "agency" to his own plot in a lot of regards because OH NO HE TOO IS A PAWN (kind of).

Dark Souls has some issues in its storytelling, but on top of the multiple character reuse (Sora/Ansem/Xehanort) and repeated plot beats (ORganization 13, and organization 13: 2 : Xehanortic boogaloo) there's definitely a difference in how the two handle their stories in my eyes.

Jan 25, 2019

She has no Keyblade (despite that she technically should) and Nomura can't write you unless you fight.

i.e. Kairi.

Speaking of Naminé, I'm down for the Ava theory concerning her. There's nothing about her we know after all this time. Her birth, while somewhat explained, still confuses others. Kairi created her (born by her Heart) and Sora's body and soul were used to allow her own physical form. She's the anomaly of all anomalies.

Aside from that?

Nothing.

Where did she first appear? In Twilight Town or Castle Oblivion? Who named her? Another person or she sprouted that name herself? How was she able to have such control of her power by Day 20 or so of existence? Was she studied or trained? Why does she have those memory abilities in the first place when Sora and Kairi both don't?

And why is thanking her being dragged out?

We may never know.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
She has no Keyblade (despite that she technically should) and Nomura can't write you unless you fight.

i.e. Kairi.

Speaking of Naminé, I'm down for the Ava theory concerning her. There's nothing about her we know after all this time. Her birth, while somewhat explained, still confuses others. Kairi created her (born by her Heart) and Sora's body and soul were used to allow her own physical form. She's the anomaly of all anomalies.

Aside from that?

Nothing.

Where did she first appear? In Twilight Town or Castle Oblivion? Who named her? Another person or she sprouted that name herself? How was she able to have such control of her power by Day 20 or so of existence? Was she studied or trained? Why does she have those memory abilities in the first place when Sora and Kairi both don't?

And why is thanking her being dragged out?

We may never know.
Thanking her is being dragged out because of CoM right? Sora wrote in his notebook before getting his memories wiped

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Namine is Ventus' guilt over killing Strelizia gaining a human form and she is created from his memories of her or something crazy like thst.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've for a minute had this random thought that Ava is just chillin as another heart inside of Aqua. I have basis for this theory other than why the fuck not

Jan 25, 2019
This one we know the answer to. She was born in Castle Oblivion.

The novel stated Twilight Town, I believe. But the novel is secondary to tertiary canon at best. In-game canon and interviews/supplemental materials are the forefront. And it's still another author's perception of events and things.

I haven't played CoM in years, but where was that confirmed, that she was born in CO?

Thanking her is being dragged out because of CoM right? Sora wrote in his notebook before getting his memories wiped

Pretty much.

In the Final World, he said it didn't feel right when, you know, she's basically dead and is a disembodied star. But then Re:Mind has them speaking directly...face to face. So when is he thanking her if he's off in faux Shibuya?

I've for a minute had this random thought that Ava is just chillin as another heart inside of Aqua. I have basis for this theory other than why the fuck not

Ava's heart is chilling inside Naminé, an at the ready empty vessel that was just created and sought solace within.

[mic drop]

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
The novel stated Twilight Town, I believe. But the novel is secondary to tertiary canon at best. In-game canon and interviews/supplemental materials are the forefront. And it's still another author's perception of events and things.

I haven't played CoM in years, but where was that confirmed, that she was born in CO?
Director's Secret Report XIII, included in the booklet that came with KH2FM+.

A Look Back: Director's Secret Report XIII - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Kingdom Hearts Insider - the largest kingdom hearts community and news resource on the web!

And also, around the same time that Roxas woke up in Twilight Town, Naminé woke up in Castle Oblivion. This means that after was found by the Organisation after that.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
You'd think it'd be Roxas born at Castle Oblivion.
Maybe that's how they found Castle Oblivion? He showed up in a birth-coma or something, which lead them to it and his first memory was actually in Twilight Town afterwards with Xemnas.

Speaking of which, something that blew my mind recently. One of the first scenes in KH2 has Xemnas sitting on a rock at the darkness beach, and Roxas shows up and talks in subtitles.

When Xemnas said: "I've been to see him. He looks a lot like you." I was like, Who? And When?

I knew he was talking about Sora, but now I know something else. He was talking about the bonus boss fight in KH1 Final Mix.

It checks out too, the game right after had Sora forgetting tons of stuff, and that boss was right at the end of the game. That's so rad to me. It's great when they make Bonus Bosses canon, other examples being Mysterious Figure, which was confirmed as a canon fight someone had (my money's on Terra,) and obviously Limit Cut's Secret Boss.

This is the stuff I mean. While Dark Souls leaves you a ton of info around for you to pick up the pieces, and that's fair and fun in it's own right, Kingdom Hearts isn't afraid to put neat details in strange places for people to speculate on and pick up on new plot points from.

It's a history that develops as the games do, and there are a ton of little details that are fun to figure out. That's something I love about Kingdom Hearts' plot, it's an adventure.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Maybe that's how they found Castle Oblivion? He showed up in a birth-coma or something, which lead them to it and his first memory was actually in Twilight Town afterwards with Xemnas.

Speaking of which, something that blew my mind recently. One of the first scenes in KH2 has Xemnas sitting on a rock at the darkness beach, and Roxas shows up and talks in subtitles.

When Xemnas said: "I've been to see him. He looks a lot like you." I was like, Who? And When?

I knew he was talking about Sora, but now I know something else. He was talking about the bonus boss fight in KH1 Final Mix.

It checks out too, the game right after had Sora forgetting tons of stuff, and that boss was right at the end of the game. That's so rad to me. It's great when they make Bonus Bosses canon, other examples being Mysterious Figure, which was confirmed as a canon fight someone had (my money's on Terra,) and obviously Limit Cut's Secret Boss.

This is the stuff I mean. While Dark Souls leaves you a ton of info around for you to pick up the pieces, and that's fair and fun in it's own right, Kingdom Hearts isn't afraid to put neat details in strange places for people to speculate on and pick up on new plot points from.

It's a history that develops as the games do, and there are a ton of little details that are fun to figure out. That's something I love about Kingdom Hearts' plot, it's an adventure.

The Bonus Fight in KH 1 is also when Xemnas takes the memories that he needs to make Xion.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
The Bonus Fight in KH 1 is also when Xemnas takes the memories that he needs to make Xion.
tenor.gif

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm confused as to how the fight against Young Xehanort in BBS can be canon. How did he get a physical body? The Replica program wasn't a thing yet at that time...

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Nomura does make full use of the lore. But my issue is that he can't stick to one answer.

Sometimes he gives multiple answers to the same question.

Why was Xemnas in Castle Oblivion?

1) To find his "friend" because of Xemnas' residual Terra which is also why he calls Aqua's armor "friend".

2) Because Xemnas wanted Ventus for his Orgy III plan.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm confused as to how the fight against Young Xehanort in BBS can be canon. How did he get a physical body? The Replica program wasn't a thing yet at that time...
AFAIK, the Young Xehanort you fight in BBS is on his way to the events of Dream Drop Distance. The time travel methods in DDD is different from the "bringing the past hearts into a replica body in the present" method KH3 employs.

DDD Young Xehanort in particular is seemingly able to circumvent the abandoning your body stipulation because the power to time travel was given to him by a future incarnation of himself that had already done so.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
AFAIK, the Young Xehanort you fight in BBS is on his way to the events of Dream Drop Distance. The time travel methods in DDD is different from the "bringing the past hearts into a replica body in the present" method KH3 employs.

DDD Young Xehanort in particular is seemingly able to circumvent the abandoning your body stipulation because the power to time travel was given to him by a future incarnation of himself that had already done so.

That would be dumb though. I thought the whole replica thing was specifically to clarify why in DDD they say you need to leave your body behind yet there are seemingly time travellers with a physical presence. I always wondered how that worked until KH3 explained it. I feel like this can't be it.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That would be dumb though. I thought the whole replica thing was specifically to clarify why in DDD they say you need to leave your body behind yet there are seemingly time travellers with a physical presence. I always wondered how that worked until KH3 explained it. I feel like this can't be it.

The Replicas are there to keep them the time travelers there permanently until they're defeated. Without the Replicas, they can still travel forward in time with Young Xehanort's help but they can't stay there forever.

Young Xehanort traveled through the past sans Replica body to collect the different Xehanorts meaning he went to time periods to grab Vanitas, Xemnas, Repliku, and ASOD so he'd have to be in BBS to snatch Vanitas.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The replica method in KH3 was providing a far less convoluted alternative to DDD's dumb method, not clarifying it. As I understand it:

DDD Time Travel:
Ansem casts his body away & time travels to the past. Passes on his powers to Young Xehanort. Because he got his powers from a version of himself in the future that already did the whole casting his body away thing, the normal rules of time travel don't apply to him, thus he can time travel without casting his body away and he can bring incarnations of himself through time without issue as well. They're all still subject to the time limit, though. It's convoluted and pretty contradictory, but yeah.

KH3 Time travel:
Collect past hearts, bring 'em to the future and have a replica body waiting for them. This also circumvents the time limit from DDD and allows them to stay in the present as long as they want. Simpler, and a hell of a lot more efficient.

The New Org XIII as we see them in DDD are all gathered using DDD's dumbass method. The replica method would've required, well... replicas, and KH3 firmly establishes that the New Org XIII didn't get their hands on replicas until Vexen "rejoined" and resumed his replica research. He didn't go back to the Org. until after the events of DDD, as he was stated in that game to be in Radiant Garden, recovering from being completed.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
See, I thought that was how it went in DDD at first and disliked it because Nomura comes up with a time travel rule and immediately discards it. It seemed somewhat logical to have to discard of a corporeal presence in order to phase through time and space. It kinda makes sense in some way, doesn't it? But if Ansem can bestow that power to his younger self then it's more like discarding your body is just an arbitrary sacrifice the universe asks of you to give you the power of time travel which you can then freely pass on to somebody else.

That's why I liked the explanation in KH3 because it made sense of the whole thing and tied it back to a plot element that I thought was forgotten. But now it's just...both?

Fucking Nomura, man.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of amazing how much of the follow-up games only make sense with the Final Mix versions.
At least we finally got them, and Square-Enix will actually do DLC for Final Mix content going forward.

There's just so many things to follow-up on now with ReMind out and Union X wrapping up.
Where is Sora?
Who is Yozora?
What is Xigbar/Luxu up to? What is the Master of Master's true plan?
What is Luxord's connection to Yozora?
Did Ventus kill Strelitiza? Or was it the being known as Darkness?
Where is Ava?
Will Lauriam and Elrena play a bigger role going forward?

Lots of potential for future games.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
See, I thought that was how it went in DDD at first and disliked it because Nomura comes up with a time travel rule and immediately discards it. It seemed somewhat logical to have to discard of a corporeal presence in order to phase through time and space. It kinda makes sense in some way, doesn't it? But if Ansem can bestow that power to his younger self then it's more like discarding your body is just an arbitrary sacrifice the universe asks of you to give you the power of time travel which you can then freely pass on to somebody else.

That's why I liked the explanation in KH3 because it made sense of the whole thing and tied it back to a plot element that I thought was forgotten. But now it's just...both?

Fucking Nomura, man.
Agreed on all counts. It's dumb.

Should be noted that the mobile game as of late also reintroduced the DDD time travel method in regards to a certain character

Maleficent, in particular

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have the Shibuya posters been linked here yet?

These are super interesting! Not just TWEWY-text, but English and Japanese as well. The only one that I can see that is specifically made for KH is bottom left, Nanahime sweets, with the crown on the flan. Also holding a star wand....The Libra wearable made me laugh though.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only one that I can see that is specifically made for KH is bottom left, Nanahime sweets, with the crown on the flan.

Clearly I haven't been looking hard enough because

Would be strange for every other poster to have unique throwaway assets except for just this one. Then again, we aren't meant to see this so who knows....

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
All this just makes me more sure about my theory that Kingdom Hearts is just a "Dream kingdom" created by the sleeping heart and their dreams from the real world.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So after the release of ReMind are there still theories floating around that SE will start using
video game worlds, like Tomb Raider, instead of Disney worlds in KH or are these theories dead after seeing the secret episode?