MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I love all of these places that are all "eh, just do a temperature check" like that's a guaranteed way to check for the virus.
I can tell you that they are doing body heat temperature checks and do not accurately display your real temp. Today I went to a restaurant with one and my temp was 82.4 degrees.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I love all of these places that are all "eh, just do a temperature check" like that's a guaranteed way to check for the virus.

I live in Florida. Co-workers have been bitching for months that they can't go to Disney. They will all probably be there the day it opens.

my office has satellite offices in FL and they're scheduling face-to-face conferences and shit with clients like business as usual. y'all FL people are fuckin' wild.

I can tell you that they are doing body heat temperature checks and do not accurately display your real temp. Today I went to a restaurant with one and my temp was 82.4 degrees.

why are you going into a restaurant dude

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
my office has satellite offices in FL and they're scheduling face-to-face conferences and shit with clients like business as usual. y'all FL people are fuckin' wild.

why are you going into a restaurant dude
Because my family was visiting from out of town and we were literally the only people in there?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Are you judging me for wanting to spend some time with my family at a restaurant? We were the only people in there, we wore face masks, we chose to eat outside and wiped down the table ourselves before we dined.

it is very frustrating to see people not taking this very seriously-- yes.

sorry, i'm going to see myself out of this conversation.

it is absolutely frustrating that i haven't seen my mom in three months, my dad in almost a year-- because i'm being responsible-- and other people are the reason this shit is spiking.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
it is very frustrating to see people not taking this very seriously-- yes.

sorry, i'm going to see myself out of this conversation.

it is absolutely frustrating that i haven't seen my mom in three months, my dad in almost a year-- because i'm being responsible-- and other people are the reason this shit is spiking.
And we were responsible. I take this very seriously. And I'll take it very seriously when I'm at Universal June 1st.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Why was your family visiting from out of town?

Living in Seattle, I view your state as highly irresponsible and crazy. I don't think I'd feel comfortable visiting there ever again.
My lease at my apartment was up and they came to help me move. They live an hour away.

I mean, that's fine. Ultimately Florida feeds off tourism and is bound to be more reckless when it comes to reopening. We're desperate for those tourism dollars. I completely understand choosing to not partake.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My lease at my apartment was up and they came to help me move. They live an hour away.

I mean, that's fine. Ultimately Florida feeds off tourism and is bound to be more reckless when it comes to reopening. We're desperate for those tourism dollars. I completely understand choosing to not partake.

We had a big Florida vacation planned for August. My wife, daughter and I were going to be doing ten days at Universal and Disney along with my parents and my wife's parents who were going to fly in from Omaha and meet us there. We've canceled those plans. It's just irresponsible and I sure as hell don't trust people to act appropriately.

My daughter was bummed about not getting to do Wizarding World but she also has said that the parks shouldn't open and she doesn't think it's safe to go there this summer. I'd feel slightly better about California for Disney and Universal as their state government is acting with the health and safety of their people in mind. Your governor is a stupid stupid man who clearly doesn't know what is going on.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
We had a big Florida vacation planned for August. My wife, daughter and I were going to be doing ten days at Universal and Disney along with my parents and my wife's parents who were going to fly in from Omaha and meet us there. We've canceled those plans. It's just irresponsible and I sure as hell don't trust people to act appropriately.

My daughter was bummed about not getting to do Wizarding World but she also has said that the parks shouldn't open and she doesn't think it's safe to go there this summer. I'd feel better about. California as their state government is acting with the health and safety of their people in mind.
I agree. But ultimately I'm a theme park employee and this is my career. It's not my decision to open up and we'll do everything we can to protect those who do decide to go.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Temperature checks are better than nothing, but if a person is asymptomatic they can appear fine, waltz on in, and infect dozens.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Go on rides for ruin! And the Disney World's ending!

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why face masks are required. Every little bit helps to reduce the risk. Not that I think the parks should be opening so soon.

Now if only Disney would enforce this rule...

This weekend be a big test for both Disney Springs and Universals City Walk to see how people respect distancing and actually keep their mask on.

Also, to not bring your own BBQ to cook home brought hot dogs...

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
1.5million cases and 100,000 deaths related to Covid-19. Also employees are only being paid 80%

They didn't mention the part timers like me who're furlough since May 3rd.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Are they going to resume charging Annual Pass holders? My AP is with Disney, so I am kinda curious how the parks will handle annual passes during a period with severely limited capacity and many holders not even wanting to go to the park(s).

Im a AP holder, they said they are gonna announce their plans for the APs and payments soon.

They are inviting AP holders to a special AP holder only day before the park opens also

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I thought this blog post from a lawyer who advises theme parks was interesting. He doesn't seem to think there will be much spread due to low density at parks, most common areas being outdoors, and virtual line technology.

Since this whole thing began, we have done pretty much nothing except help the amusement industry get ready to reopen in a manner that is safe from both a traditional ride safety perspective and from a public health perspective. So I know – very, very well - what is being done behind the scenes to make sure that it is safe for you to come to the park this summer. Our industry is, however, an unfamiliar one to most people who see only the end result in the park but have no idea what it takes to actually operate on a daily basis. Because of this, many in government and in the general public instinctively believe that an amusement park, water park, or family entertainment center cannot open in a COVID-19 world. In short, those people are wrong and are operating from a lack of understanding about what parks can and will do to limit exposure. So I thought I would share those things with you so you have some better idea of what to expect when/if you return to the park this summer. I should also add that I work with parks all over the world, so I'm not speaking for any one particular park specifically. While every park may do things slightly differently to get ready to welcome you this year, in general, you can expect to see some or all of these precautions the next time you visit a park this summer.

www.legalrollercoaster.com

13 Reasons Why You Should Feel Safe Going Back To Amusement Parks This Summer

A blog devoted exclusively to the legal issues affecting the amusement park and tourism industries.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
I dunno, I've watched some of the shanghai Disney reopening videos and they're doing a fairly decent job, ride vehicles run at like 1/2 capacity so there's always empty full sections between people but fuck if things go bad they go bad real fucking fast.

i have an annual pass for DL, I probably won't be going back anytime soon if they reopen

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I kinda feel safer at a major park with proper precautions being taken, rather than what I see every day at supermarkets and everywhere else folks are going without issue. If the the limited ticket sales thing is enforced and the staff is kept on top of things as they usually are at the Orlando parks, I don't see it as being a huge issue. Only thing I would be fearful of is waiting in long lines with people even if 6ft distancing is done, its a long time standing around the same people. If virtual queues are used to good effect then I think its not too bad. But every time I go shop for anything I'm constantly amazed at people not wearing their masks, touching everything, not keeping their distance, crowding around areas they shouldn't like the deli counter. Touching all the same key pad.

Most of the parks are pretty tight ships when it comes to staff and procedures, and directing folks around. Parks wont enforce rules? Nah the staff are pretty good about telling guests what they can and can't do, and there is tons of security.

Wearing masks in the summer though? Nah fam, I won't be doing that. I'll wait till things are better than die in the heat

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this blog post from a lawyer who advises theme parks was interesting. He doesn't seem to think there will be many problems.

www.legalrollercoaster.com

13 Reasons Why You Should Feel Safe Going Back To Amusement Parks This Summer

A blog devoted exclusively to the legal issues affecting the amusement park and tourism industries.

Point 1:A Park is not a "Mass Gathering"

Has this person ever been to any of the big theme parks? I walk through Universal Studios from and to work and it's packed.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just wild.

Know tons of bloggers and other folk are going to flock there on the promise of empty parks and walk on rides.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I don't trust the average person who's willing to go to a theme parks right now. People get caught up in the moment so easily forget proper social distancing rules. And that's ignoring the assholes who will make a statement by taking off their mask once inside.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's no way Disney doesn't use Universal reopening as a free beta test right?

They've been delaying every action taken since this thing started to see that the competition does and then follow suit accordingly.

We're going to crack 50,000 cases overnight tonight so it's a great time to bring tens of thousands of people to one locale to see if we can make the push to 100,000 in record time!

Oct 25, 2017
Masks are not required on water type attractions. Isn't that kinda...bad? I know they don't want wet masks or changing masks between rides but if water splashes over someone (including their face mouth nose ) then keeps splashing to the next row and the same water has gone over multiple people that seems like a disaster?

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Masks are not required on water type attractions. Isn't that kinda...bad? I know they don't want wet masks or changing masks between rides but if water splashes over someone (including their face mouth nose ) then keeps splashing to the next row and the same water has gone over multiple people that seems like a disaster?

According to the CDC, the virus cannot survive in treated water.

The latest CDC recommendations for aquatic facilities make clear that there is no evidence that the virus can survive in treated water or on surfaces that are consistently covered in treated water. That means that guests on water slides, wave pools, swimming pools, lazy rivers, and other aquatic attractions are at an even lower risk of exposure than guests in other kinds of facilities.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They're extending the passes.

Disney gave two options for Annual Passholders that are on monthly payments (FL Residents get this option).

1) Keep paying as you normally would and get all the time they've been close tacked on to the end of your pass once your original contract was paid off. This was an optional method that you could call the passholder line and take (but it was impossible to get through, I tried because we staggered the purchase of our passes and our kids' passes by three months to offset the up front costs and make their passes Christmas presents - taking this on two of ours would have brought all four into parity).

2) Disney refunded all March payments and has not charged APs for April, May, and probably June). You effectively get 3-4 months of not making your annual pass payments. The consequence, however, is that your pass will now still expire on its original expiration date.

Since we couldn't take option one due to the phone system being brought to its knees, we effectively got each annual pass at a huge discount ($105 off each one so far, for $420 in total savings). It sucks that we didn't use them as much as we wanted to in March and April for obvious reasons, but we used the shit out of them (every two weeks from September to the end of February). To go to Disney that many times both as a couple and as a family of four for about $1500 was a steal.

We're not going to renew this year, but once everything is back to normal we will. As long as I'm there for Epcot's 40th in 2022 I'm happy.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

Yes I´m sure everyone will keep their mask on while under the hot Florida sun all day long and stay 6 feet apart in a crowded theme park. To go there now would be selfish and stupid, but it´s going to happen so the patrons are volunteering to be guinea pigs. I just feel bad for those that are forced to work there.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Well if you're going to go the park, might as well be in the first wave. You won't have a better chance at getting on rides fast.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Yes I´m sure everyone will keep their mask on while under the hot Florida sun all day long and stay 6 feet apart in a crowded theme park. To go there now would be selfish and stupid, but it´s going to happen so the patrons are volunteering to be guinea pigs. I just feel bad for those that are forced to work there.

Not just forced to work but getting a 20% cut from our paycheck. That shit won't fly with Disney Cast Members.