Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
South Park: The Fractured But Whole. I haven't finished it yet, but holy shit, this fixed so many of the previous game's flaws while introducing few new ones. The Stick of Truth had awkward commands, awkward world interaction, too many jokes and story beats lifted from the show, only having one party member per battle with no incentive to switch, and boss battles that just were not very fun. Fractured But Whole introduced a new battle system that is so much better to play, allows for a lot more humor, and allows for really fun boss battles. Almost every joke I've encountered so far is either original or re-contextualized in such a way that it doesn't feel like just fan service. There are regularly moments that are so original and funny that you're surprised they're not from the show.

South Park: The Stick of Truth was a good tv show-game, but Fractured But Whole is a good game.

Fully agree with you. What I also really like were the special objectives during combat. You don't see that often in games and it made every duel unique. I feel like this game and Prey should have a Metacritic around 87-88. Prey had problems at launch so that explains the lower score but South Park was an excellent bug free game. The Stick of Truth only had more jokes, a better main plot and you could see the objects you could pick up. The Fractured But Whole is a much better game im every other way.

Dec 4, 2017
There's a metric shitton of overlooked indies from last year, in addition to the already mentioned ones.
Tooth and Tail, Heat Signature, Brigador, Battle Brothers...

Oct 27, 2017
My pick is Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. (August 2017 for PS4)

Shadow-Tactics-04-HD.png

As a console only gamer, my experience with this game is really aimed at converting other console only gamers to give this gem a try. The game is clearly designed to be played with mouse and keyboard, so the camera controls feel a little awkward at first until you get used to it. But if you have the patience to get used to the learning curve here, this is the most intelligent, thought provoking, satisfying stealth game I've played in years.

The pure gameplay options are so rewarding when mastered. You have to really scout around, master all the different characters' abilities and have them work together as a team to get through levels. The final shocker though is that the game actually has a relatively great story, and an option for Japanese voice acting so you can fully immerse yourself into the feudal Japan setting.

There's a demo on PSN. I promise you, you won't be used to the controls or feel like it's easy to play immediately. I actually put the demo down and almost deleted it. Then I went back the next day and tried it some more. If you have the drive to learn how to play this game, you will absolutely be rewarded with one of the best stealth games I've ever played in my life. This will open your eyes to a whole new genre of stealth gaming I didn't even know existed.

It's excellent - I played on PS4, and it's one of the only console experiences I've had that rivals the crunchy, one-more-turn feel of some of my early pc favorites.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's excellent - I played on PS4, and it's one of the only console experiences I've had that rivals the crunchy, one-more-turn feel of some of my early pc favorites.

It's a masterpiece imo. I played the PC release and loved it so much. Was hoping it'd get a lot more attention with the console release but it seems it passed a lot of people by.

Oct 30, 2017
Prey_cover_art.jpg

A masterpiece in gaming design as usual from Arkane Studios..... it really breaks my heart how underrated this game is :"-(

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much anything that came out on 3ds this year, since it was totally eclipsed in enthusiast coverage by the switch. Monster Hunter Stories in particular was amazing for how little fanfare it got. It starts out simple seeming, but there's a really fantastic curve in complexity of the games systems. Dare I say, better than pokemon.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It wasn't on my top ten list but early this year FLYWRENCH slipped in under a lot of folk's radars. By the makers of Nidhogg, it's one of those die quickly, start up quickly 2d games. Think N++ with that messy Nidhogg art style. Neat game. I got it on sale for like 3 bucks I think. Worth it at that price for sure.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't on my top ten list but early this year FLYWRENCH slipped in under a lot of folk's radars. By the makers of Nidhogg, it's one of those die quickly, start up quickly 2d games. Think N++ with that messy Nidhogg art style. Neat game. I got it on sale for like 3 bucks I think. Worth it at that price for sure.

Probably because a lot of us played Flywrench 2 years ago, or the original prototype nearly a decade ago.

It's a great game by the way. Just not surprised it finally making its way onto console slipped under the radar.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prey for AAA.

I don't have a single indie I completed this year. The two I would think of mentioning are cuphead and hollow knight but those both got a lot of attention .

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Finally picked up Nex Machina last night. For some reason I am struggling finding an OT so will just post here since it was one of the first, relevant threads when I searched...

Game is fantastic. Reminds me of the good old days and I was fortunate enough to experience them first hand, but it is absolutely and completely modernized. Got through the Arcade mode on Easy or whatever the first difficulty setting is, and now is where the real fun begins. It is no doubt a game I can keep revisiting whenever the mood fits for a very long time to come. It is also incredibly challenging yet rewards replays.

It is the quintessential arcade experience in one's own home. Housemarque are truly the kings of this genre and in a league all their own. They no doubt did it again and it probably is their best attempt ever, and I fucking loved Resogun & Super Stardust Delta.

Simply put, no one does twin stick shooters better. Absolutely no one.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda, the thread. Prey, The Evil Within 2 and Dishonored Death of the Outsider all massively underrated and under appreciated. Also their VR output has been good too.