knack2bae

Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Nope. Demon's Souls utilises an amazing reconstruction technique from 1440p to give off a perceived 4k look - Uncharted is just running at native 1440p.
Both are just normal temporal upscalers.
Internal render res is exact same.
Output res is exact same.

"4K-TV players will experience a 4K resolution upscaled from a 1440p base resolution."

www.playstation.com

UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection

Are you ready to seek your fortune

"Its based on a 1440p base generated frame that then gets temporally combined into a 4K frame buffer."

"The actual main game it drops down to 1440p."

- Marco Thrush, head of Bluepoint Games

7 mins into the video

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

"4K-TV players will experience a 4K resolution upscaled from a 1440p base resolution."

www.playstation.com

"Its based on a 1440p base generated frame that then gets temporally combined into a 4K frame buffer."

"The actual main game it drops down to 1440p."

- Marco Thrush, head of Bluepoint Games

7 mins into the video

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Aha I was wrong! Good to know. Thanks

Fooled me then, because it looked amazing at 1440p. Both TLL and UC4 look amazing at 1440p too, but it still feels disappointing if the only improvement is the framerate.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017

I believe DS is doing something similar to what Insomniac games are doing, some kind of temporal reconstruction. We don't know what UC4 is doing here, but some early indications from the first trailer were that it's not doing anything different than the PS4 Pro version of the game did. It could be doing a simple bilinear upscale from 1440p to 4K. Temporal reconstruction produces a far better result than a simple bilinear upscale. Note that the wording between two quotes you found are not the same. ND press release just says it's an upscale. That said, UC4 has definitely used temporal AA which contributed a lot to how great the game looked, I just don't think it used temporal reconstruction to create a 4K image from the 1440p base on Pro.

I'm really curious what Digital Foundry guys will find here. It's almost unbelievable that they will just double the framerate from the PS4 Pro game in a native PS5 game, and call it a day.

Last edited:

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
I only ever played (and finished) uncharted 3 and know pretty much nothing about it anymore, would i be able to jump into U4 without being completely lost?

knack2bae

Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I believe DS is doing something similar to what Insomniac games are doing, some kind of temporal reconstruction. We don't know what UC4 is doing here, but some early indications from the first trailer were that it's not doing anything different than the PS4 Pro version of the game did. It could be doing a simple bilinear upscale from 1440p to 4K. Temporal reconstruction produces a far better result than a simple bilinear upscale. Note that the wording between two quotes you found are not the same. ND press release just says it's an upscale. That said, UC4 has definitely used temporal AA which contributed a lot to how great the game looked, I just don't think it used temporal reconstruction to create a 4K image from the 1440p base on Pro.

I'm really curious what Digital Foundry guys will find here. It's almost unbelievable that they will just double the framerate from the PS4 Pro game in a native PS5 game, and call it a day.
Its just a quick port to line up a "new" Uncharted game with the movie. Hence the basic $10 fee.

Sony won't bother putting in much effort anymore since they can't charge more than $10.

People want amazing remasters for free.

Should have just been a free 60 Hz patch.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I only ever played (and finished) uncharted 3 and know pretty much nothing about it anymore, would i be able to jump into U4 without being completely lost?

Yeah, there's a couple call backs but the plot in 4 is totally self-contained. All you really need to know is the broad strokes - he's a treasure hunter, Sully is his mentor / buddy, he is married to Elena the former journalist that traveled with him in the first game, but had a fling with Chloe the rule-breaker treasure hunter in the second game. That's really it.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017

Players who purchased UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End, UNCHARTED: The Lost Legacy, or UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End and UNCHARTED: The Lost Legacy digital bundle have the option to pay €10/ $10 to upgrade to UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection. The upgrade will be available starting at launch on January 28, 2022.

Owners of PS4 disc copies must insert them into the PS5 console every time they want to download or play the PS5 digital versions. PS4 game disc owners who buy the PS5 Digital Edition disc-free console will not be able to get the PS5 version for the discounted price.

PlayStation®Plus members who claimed UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End via their PlayStation Plus subscription are not eligible for the €10/ $10 digital PS5 upgrade.
I redeemed the PSPlus version, but I also still own the UC4 disc. Can I just insert that into my PS5 and pay the $10 for the upgrade?

Or did I screw myself over by downloading a free digital copy so I didn't have to use my disc anymore?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird they're not releasing the first 3 games along with it, at least on PC. They're even calling it a "collection" when really it's just one game and an expansion.

Still a good game, but people playing it for the first time on PC will not really have the best experience with it.

RedHeat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Demon's Souls utilises an amazing reconstruction technique from 1440p to give off a perceived 4k look - Uncharted is just running at native 1440p.

It got bumped from 900p to 1080p
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Demon's Souls uses Insomniac's temporal injection method of upscaling.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I redeemed the PSPlus version, but I also still own the UC4 disc. Can I just insert that into my PS5 and pay the $10 for the upgrade?

Or did I screw myself over by downloading a free digital copy so I didn't have to use my disc anymore?
I would assume you should be fine. You'll just have to select the PS5 version to download once you've upgraded.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I honestly don´t think it looks significantly better. Maybe the original version was already great enough graphical-wise?

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
I have the same problem with this as ghost. If I'm going to waste precious SSD space it better be a better upgrade than this;.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
With this collection and the earlier Nathan Drake collection/remaster from the PS4 era, all the Uncharted games are now at 60 fps, right?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
My monitor only outputs to 1440p and not 4k, so since PS5 doesn't do native 1440p will I be stuck with 1080p?

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Naughty Dog loves their 1440p huh.

It's pathetic they're charging people that already own these games $10 to unlock the framerate.
Agreed. I love both of these games but this is such a sad attempt to squeeze a few bucks out of people's general good will for Naughty Dog. The fact they couldn't even be bothered to optimise for a native or checkerboard 4K, with a vastly more powerful machine, makes the fact that they're charging for this patch even more embarrassing.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don´t think it looks significantly better. Maybe the original version was already great enough graphical-wise?
The original still looks incredible and personally I think it looks better in ways than TLOU 2.

Also it is so smooth now with the fps upgrade! :D I cannot wait for next week!!!

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
You're the one who is confused :) you only need to own one of the two games to get the remaster bundle
If this is real (for me no way there is), yeah I sure am confused.
I can't imagine Sony offering basically one of the games for free on PS5, for 10$. We'll see at launch, but I'm not hoping for more that "having one of the games at least entitles you to buy the upgrade path, but not the games themselves"

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
In their review/analysis, I hope DF rightfully rakes this "remaster" over the coals, because this is one of the most disappointing lazy barebones paid remasters I think I've ever seen.

Really should have just been a free patch/upgrade, because this is laughable.
Fast loading is an automatic given for a PS5 game.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Thought BP has done a better job at making U1-3 easier to port to pc. Not those lost source code bs.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
So, assuming you own the games on PS4, this is $10 for what is effectively just a 60fps patch? That's pretty lame.

E: having said that, I never played either of these games and I can get a pre-owned disc of UC4 for £8. Would that qualify me for the upgrade?

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine Sony offering basically one of the games for free on PS5, for 10$. We'll see at launch, but I'm not hoping for more that "having one of the games at least entitles you to buy the upgrade path, but not the games themselves"
That's exactly what it says on the ps store: players who bought Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy or the collection of the two can get the remaster bundle for 10€

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

you would be fine, but yeah it does hit differently if you played the first games. No wrong way to do it BUT if you do want to catch up and have PS+ you can play the Uncharted Collection (1-3) for free on PS5. UC1 is rough by today's standards, so if you're not enjoying it maybe skip to UC2.

does anyone know if the saves and trophies will transfer?

I'm assuming trophies will. As that's how it worked with Ghost of Tsushima IIRC. Not sure about saves.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
So, assuming you own the games on PS4, this is $10 for what is effectively just a 60fps patch? That's pretty lame.

E: having said that, I never played either of these games and I can get a pre-owned disc of UC4 for £8. Would that qualify me for the upgrade?

Its also Dualsense support, 3D audio, fast loads, a 4K 30fps mode, and a 1080p 120fps mode. Yes, it would qualify you for the upgrade.

fivestarman

Oct 28, 2017
If I only have the Ps4 Disc version of U4 and I pay to upgrade to the Ps5 version, will I gain access to Lost Legacy?

QitQatQudi

Jul 26, 2018
Please note that the multiplayer mode included in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will not be a part of this new collection.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Theres a blog post for it

51728813547_009dd31431_h.jpg

Players who purchased Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, or Uncharted 4: A Thief's End & Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Digital Bundle have the option to pay $10/€10 to upgrade to Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Digital Version. The upgrade will be available starting at launch on January 28, 2022.

You can own just one of the two games on PS4, pay $10, and get both for PS5.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what I dislike about Sony. They need to sell something that could have been done with a free patch.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Gonna enjoy this a lot this time around on the pc vs my ps4 pro. Ultrawide, higher fps beyond 60 and steam controller with gyro aiming.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I dislike about Sony. They need to sell something that could have been done with a free patch.
It's cool for people who only have one of the two games. They get the whole other game for $10. Not so great for those of us who own both of them. ND gave us a free patch for TLOU 2 though.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Not happy about the $10 upgrade fee especially as others pointed out for those of us that already purchased both LL and UC4, but it also isn't the most surprising thing given the movie coming out soon.

I adore these games and am in for the 120 fps mode plus the dualsense and 3d audio. Curious how much work was put into the latter, if it fully utilizes Tempest like say Returnal or if its a more basic implementation of 3d audio.