• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
I live in a dream state where the EU condition anything Johnson wants out of a trade deal on him granting Scotland an independence referendum.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel Johnson is going to quit early at some point once he has lined his pockets in some way and can't be bothered with it all, probably when he makes hard Brexit happen and gets mega rich off it. You know that's his ultimate plan and his fixers will give him a golden parachute for making it happen.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I'm uncertain is because he's in the position of Thatcher and Blair and being almost untouchable power wise, it sends people loopy and they get the god complex. I don't think it would take much to push someone like Johnson around the bend.
Agree. It's a shame we're here but he's up against 27 other countries and he can't keep his own UK in order. He's going to get rolled

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boris doing his big speech.

I forget Liz Truss is in charge of international trade negotiation, ahhhhhhhhhhh.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Boris doing his big speech.

I forget Liz Truss is in charge of international trade negotiation, ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Maybe my brain isn't working but if the UK has rules about single use plastics then the EU would need to comply to trade plastic here, no?

Perhaps I'm just not in a trusting anything he says mood, because he's normally very glib about complicated issues.

They're not very good rules otherwise

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
"Johnson repeats a point he made during the general election about Wales being closer to Beijing than New Zealand. So it should be exporting more lamb to China, he says, than New Zealand does.

(As when he made this point during the election, he ignores the fact that New Zealand is closer by sea, which is how many goods are exported.)"

I admit it made me laugh, Johnson ignores reality shocker.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe my brain isn't working but if the UK has rules about single use plastics then the EU would need to comply to trade plastic here, no?

Perhaps I'm just not in a trusting anything he says mood, because he's normally very glib about complicated issues.

They're not very good rules otherwise

It's an interesting point because it basically says Boris doesn't care what people export to the UK. So even if we have the highest standards for ourselves the UK is wide open to any standard of item coming in. Very odd comment.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's an interesting point because it basically says Boris doesn't care what people export to the UK. So even if we have the highest standards for ourselves the UK is wide open to any standard of item coming in. Very odd comment.

It's my main problem with guy, half the time when he isn't lying, he's winging it. He doesn't look like he knows what he signed up to already.

And the EU does have a single use plastics directive coming into force a year after our one, I just remembered Gove suddenly passing the law here to prove we were more environment minded than the EU.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fair play to the journos if they keep doing that even though some aren't anyone's favourites.

Political journalists walked out of No 10 Downing Street this afternoon in protest at the government planning to give a briefing on the EU only to selected reporters – banning The Mirror, i, Huffington Post, PoliticsHome, Independent and others from attending.

Reporters on the invited list were asked to stand on one side of a rug in the foyer of No 10, while those not allowed in were asked by security to stand on the other side.

After one of Boris Johnson's most senior advisers, Lee Cain, told the banned reporters they must leave the building, the rest of the journalists decided to walk out rather than allow Downing Street to choose who scrutinises and reports on the government.

Among those who refused the briefing and walked out included the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg, ITV's Robert Peston and political journalists from the Daily Mail, Telegraph, the Sun, Financial Times, and Guardian.

The briefing was due to be given by government officials, who are meant to be neutral, rather than political.

The tactics from No 10 mirror those of Donald Trump in the US who has been known to try to exclude journalists from reporting on his activities and represents an escalation of Johnson's tensions with the media, which have been ramping up in recent weeks.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people want to be lied to. We didn't sleepwalk into this, we ran head first.

It's going to be interesting to see how long the bonds of journalism last though. I bet it's not long before they're taking hand-picked interviews again.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That is if Boris does any interviews. Accountability has gone out the window.

I think far too many people will just hear the Boris one liners and chuckle. They will only care if things get noticeably more shit for themselves in the next 5 years.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
"Johnson repeats a point he made during the general election about Wales being closer to Beijing than New Zealand. So it should be exporting more lamb to China, he says, than New Zealand does.

(As when he made this point during the election, he ignores the fact that New Zealand is closer by sea, which is how many goods are exported.)"

I admit it made me laugh, Johnson ignores reality shocker.

I know Brexit is inherently stupid and nonsensical but the lack of geographic literacy among it's champions is possibly the one thing that bothers me most.

Brexiteers repeatedly ignore that other countries are further away than Europe. In some cases, much further away.

"Can't sell our meat into Europe, we'll just sell to New Zealand"

As if time and space don't matter in this equation. As if all these other countries don't have alternatives to call on, who are closer. As if the reason we aren't already selling to far away lands is because it was much more profitable and sensible to sell to the people right next to us.

Access to Europe isn't just easier because we all agree it should be, it's easier because we all live near each other. How the general public can't see that cutting connections to the people who live closest to us is immensely short sighted. It's like refusing to talk to your neighbour, at some point something will happen that will mean you have to interact, you can't just pretend they don't exist.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Given I expected her to fall upwards, the Tories dropping Kuenssberg like a sack of shit now she's outlived her usefulness to them would be some amazing schadenfreude.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
very hard to get animated by the trade talks when it's almost certainly all theatre building up to johnson conceding at the eleventh hours on the silliest parts to get a deal, declaring it a brilliant dramatic breakthrough and trumpeting v mild concessions made by the eu in return as great victories.

nothing wrong with them doing politics which can't be avoided ever, but it's so choreographed and at least in the 2017 parliament there was a sense the politics could be about to change at any minute.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
i predict that journalists will be a bit more muscular than they've been recently because post 2019 there's no threat of their scrutiny accidentally ending up with a left wing government for the foreseeable future

it's nice they have collective solidarity for the equal right of every lobby member to uncritically regurgitate government briefings though

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Did anyone know of the "inner lobby" that Lara and others were part of, it has been going on for 6 months if the government isn't bullshitting.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
UK journalism has been a joke for over a decade, they helped make this government. Laughable they want to be treated with integrity by the government now. Boris will treat them as they are: blubbering regurgitating idiots.

Oct 31, 2017
Lol now they think they have grown a spine

"You cannot hope
to bribe or twist,
thank God! the
British journalist.
But, seeing what
the man will do
unbribed, there's
no occasion to."

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you need a laugh .....

My die hard Brexit brother has been told they only have funding for the next 6 months as the Europeans have all pulled out.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Whilst it's great Kuensberg etc walked out in solidarity, it would help if the news corporation you work for actually reports it. Nothing on BBC news at Six and nothing on their website (main news page at least). I'm at a loss how the editorial process works at the BBC

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Whilst it's great Kuensberg etc walked out in solidarity, it would help if the news corporation you work for actually reports it. Nothing on BBC news at Six and nothing on their website (main news page at least). I'm at a loss how the editorial process works at the BBC

Peston is part of the "inner lobby" and i don't think he has mentioned it either, and he would tweet any old bollocks during the general election. but maybe i have missed a reply to another tweet or something.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Fair play to the journos if they keep doing that even though some aren't anyone's favourites.

Surprised that those mentioned walked out. But yeah, where was this integrity during the fucking GE.

If you need a laugh .....

My die hard Brexit brother has been told they only have funding for the next 6 months as the Europeans have all pulled out.

What's his reaction? Is he still behind brexit? 🤣

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Works as a contractor for a European research centre looking at energy stuff, not the science side of things ..... not sure what he does really, metal guide rails or something, I dont dig too deep with him lol.

Its hilarious because it's been advertised from day one as being funded by Europe.

What's his reaction? Is he still behind brexit? 🤣

"I didnt do it for me, I did it for the the Country", followed by this stare -

giphy.gif

The amount of times I told him this would happen .... he would shrug it off like "naaaah".

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
He has a huge majority, no new opposition leader yet and 5 years to go, it just seems silly when most of the media is onside anyway.
Just imagine what tricks they will play when their huge majority weigns or there is a new opposition leader
Works as a contractor for a European research centre looking at energy stuff, not the science side of things ..... not sure what he does really, metal guide rails or something, I dont dig too deep with him lol.

Its hilarious because it's been advertised from day one as being funded by Europe.

"I didnt do it for me, I did it for the the Country", followed by this stare -

giphy.gif

The amount of times I told him this would happen .... he would shrug it off like "naaaah".
😂

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boris will just say no for 5 years then another 5 years if he wins again.

I guess we wait and see what the Scottish election turns out next year.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
if scottish independence can only poll 52% at its peak right when boris has just won a blank cheque for 5 years and scotland has just been forced out of the eu against its will....that feels bad to me tbh

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
if scottish independence can only poll 52% at its peak right when boris has just won a blank cheque for 5 years and scotland has just been forced out of the eu against its will....that feels bad to me tbh

Regardless, for such a massive sea-change that could disenfranchise non-supporters you'd want to make it a 2/3 majority referendum. Finding yourself in a different country than the one you lived in yesterday is pretty much the biggest change a government can do to its people, for better or worse.

Oct 28, 2017

You forget how hardcore yoons can be here, and the endless hammering that we're too daft, too wee and too poor to do anything alone. There's been a strong disinfo campaign going on forever.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm surprised polling moved that quickly, people do try and give a new government a chance, I think it can snowball from their if it looks like he is ignoring a clear message from the public. Going to need more polls obviously for that though.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I'm surprised polling moved that quickly, people do try and give a new government a chance, I think it can snowball from their if it looks like he is ignoring a clear message from the public. Going to need more polls obviously for that though.

I don't see many in Scotland giving Boris a chance. He is not well liked, to say the least.