OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
As for the 9 recommended albums thing, I want to have a good balance of old school classics and some new stuff. I think newcomers might be more interested in checking out if an album is more recent. Which is why I think of an artist has a good album that's old but also a good one that's new, it's worth considering the new one. Since Godfather is a banger I think it's ok to recommend it for Wiley.

That being said, I'm still taking suggestions for what albums you think should be in that. Later today I'll collect people's suggestions and throw together a list we can work on.

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok sounds good

I'm gonna put together some classic sets from radio over the years starting from 02/03 times up to more recent times covering many artists and crews, not just LDN but other places in the UK.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they have, always liked Hypes and Higherstakes

https://youtu.be/ym5Vtll3hLE

This set was my favourite of all from this cd pack.

You know you can use the new video tag to embed videos right?

Here's the list I'm working with. I'm trying to balance old school classics and some new albums that are currently making waves. This way someone interested in listening can get both the background and a starting point from which they can get into the genre and follow the zeitgeist. Feel free to recommend an alternative, but you gotta tell me what to take out, and 1 per person please. Wanna keep this structured.

Skepta - Konnichiwa
Wiley - Godfather
Kano - Home Sweet Home
JME - Integrity
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner
Roll Deep - In At The Deep End
Stormzy - Gang Signs and Prayers
Frisco - Back 2 Da Lab Vol III
Durrty Goodz - Axiom

Groof

Oct 26, 2017

Here's the list I'm working with. I'm trying to balance old school classics and some new albums that are currently making waves. This way someone interested in listening can get both the background and a starting point from which they can get into the genre and follow the zeitgeist. Feel free to recommend an alternative, but you gotta tell me what to take out, and 1 per person please. Wanna keep this structured.

Skepta - Konnichiwa
Wiley - Godfather
Kano - Home Sweet Home
JME - Integrity
Durrty Goodz - Axiom
I don't know if gsap should get a spot since it feels more hip hop/rnb than grime on a while. I'd rather see something like t on the wing instead. Just my two cents

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Skepta - Konnichiwa
Wiley - Godfather
Kano - Home Sweet Home
JME - Integrity
Durrty Goodz - Axiom

I did not know that lol

Not sure I would include in at the deep end, at the time it was seen as heavily commercial.

Gimpy

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely don't understand people's love for President T, I just think he is absolutely beyond awful. He is even worse than the monotone goomba Giggs for his flow being the exact same on every song, and just doing the 'AND I AIN'T TALKING...' punchline. Even on the Kane remix he is horrible, have to start wondering about someone's ability when they get bodied on a track by DJ Beats. I know he has been around since early and I guess people have a bit of nostalgia for him or whatever, but I don't see how people rate him so much.

Forestar

Oct 28, 2017
Old School Girme/Funky and House post......

Pretty disappointed to go through the entire and not see Junior Spesh. Just a heads up, chicken and chips Junior Spesh cost £2.50 now.

In this video, Flirta D makes more noises than your airplane jet PS4 you got from Cash Converters/Generator

Last edited:

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YES. Grime thread - I'm in! However,nynt9 I have to disagree with your lists of Grime classics. They're all songs from the last 3 years or so. To me "Grime classics" are ones form the early days of Grime. Also, have certain qualms with that Vox explanation, but I'll add to it later.

Can we post UK Rap in here? Artists like Giggs, Nines, Mist, and the wave of UK drill music, I wouldn't really categorise as Grime, nor would they themselves say they are Grime artists.

Just rediscovered this classic Grime instrumental:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2AwARtxWBI

Last edited:
OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
YES. Grime thread - I'm in! However,nynt9 I have to disagree with your lists of Grime classics. They're all songs from the last 3 years or so. To me "Grime classics" are ones form the early days of Grime. Also, have certain qualms with that Vox explanation, but I'll add to it later.

Can we post UK Rap in here? Artists like Giggs, Nines, Mist, and the wave of UK drill music, I wouldn't really categorise as Grime, nor would they themselves say they are Grime artists.

Just rediscovered this classic Grime instrumental:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2AwARtxWBI

Thanks! I'm always looking for suggestions. I figured the Reddit post I linked is very extensive if anyone wants to dive deep. The problem I have is trying to balance being welcoming to newcomers (who would be more into recent stuff) and respectful to old school fans. Also, we talked about drill earlier and figured it's ok as long as the thread doesn't become a primarily drill thread.

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah a healthy mix ix always good, just about to dive into music and come up with lists

Gimpy

Oct 26, 2017

Been seeing this loads lately - not saying anybody in here is doing this, but although I love that Grime is seeing such a huge revival now, it does feel like a lot of people think Grime has only been around the last couple of years or so. I went to the BBK Takeover in August at the O2, and it seemed like half the crowd were a bit lost when it came to Wiley playing an old banger or just appreciating Frisco in general, etc.

Was going through some old playlist I had on my PC and rediscovered this the other day, so good

Gimpy

Oct 26, 2017
also didn't rate that new Dizzee album much. I mean for me he will always get a lifetime pass for BIDC, so he can do whatever he wants really, and he has done loads for the scene, but it well feels like he saw how popular Grime is now and wanted to hop back on the train one some 'I've been here all along though, remember?' flex, and it just came off as a bit beggy to me.

Like he is in the Grime hall of fame, but you cant take years off to do songs with Robbie Williams and that, then hop back on the wagon with some bars about 3310s and that like he never left

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this just a Grime thread or UK Hip Hop as well.

Without doubt the hottest label in the UK right now is high focus.

So many talented emcees on that label and the beauty is they keep pushing the UK Hip Hop scene. For me Grime and Hip Hop have become too entwined over here.

There is a UK Hip Hop scene which isn't Grime but the media especially seem to ignore that.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said above, UK hip hop should be fine too for the most part. But I'm really looking for help to make that list I talked about earlier. Read my last few posts in the thread please and recommend something :P

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like I said above, UK hip hop should be fine too for the most part. But I'm really looking for help to make that list I talked about earlier. Read my last few posts in the thread please and recommend something :P

Albums

Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner
Dizzee Rascal - Showtime
Wiley - Treddin' on Thin Ice
Wiley - Playtime is Over
Wiley - Godfather
Skepta - Konnichiwa
P Money - Money Over Everyone
JME - Integrity
Kano - Made in the Manor
Kane - Home Sweet Home
Ghetto - Ghetto Gospel

Mixtapes

President T - T on the wing
Trim - Soulfood 1
Devilman - Re-devlopment
Goodz - Axiom ep
Kano - Beats n Bars
Ghetto - 2000 & Life
Ruff Sqwad - Guns and Roses Volume. 2
Logan Sama - War Report
Frisco - Back to da Lab Volume 3
Neckle Camp - Straight Necklin
Scorcher - Simply the Best
Devlin - Tales from the Crypt
Devlin - The Art of Rollin
OG'z - OG Season
Wiley - Best of Tunnel Vision
Wiley - 2nd Phase
Dot Rotten - RIP youngdot
Jammer - Are You Dumb Volume 1
Rage - Streets of Rage
BBK - Ssh Hut Yuh Muh Volume 1
Slew Dem - None Stop Working
Griminal - Its Not Just Bars Vol 1

Plenty more but I want others to contribute.

Last edited:

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't wanna jack OP's thread so i won't bang on forever but there's a few of my favourite UK rappers that i don't think have been mentioned yet.

CASISDEAD

One of my favourite tracks this year.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017

I love, love, love Kojey Radical. Utterly captivating and creative artist/poet/rapper, all of his videos are worth checking out trust me. This one is from his new album.

Baxter needs a mention, and this beat is fucking nuts.

Puroresu_kid Good to see another HF fan about, Baxters rinse out/spack out album really reignited my love for rap at the end of the 00's. You heard that new Jehst album?

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I love, love, love Kojey Radical. Utterly captivating and creative artist/poet/rapper, all of his videos are worth checking out trust me. This one is from his new album.

Baxter needs a mention, and this beat is fucking nuts.

Puroresu_kid Good to see another HF fan about, Baxters rinse out/spack out album really reignited my love for rap at the end of the 00's. You heard that new Jehst album?

Yeah Jam Baxter is dope. Yeah Jehst album is different. Defiently gone with a new sound.

Chester P is still my favourite MC.

https://youtu.be/Z31ZWDGiRr0

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017

Lady Leshurr - #LUKATAR

LADY LESHURR - LUKATAR [REMIX]
feat. Scratchy, Frisco, Flirta D, Gods Gift, J Hus, Bonkaz, Jamakabi, Bugzy Malone & Grizzy (Prod. By Zdot & Krunchie)

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
Mez ft Stormzy - Lex Luthor always gets me gassed in the gym. Mez doesn't get enough attention