• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
vDgYa9Z.png

Hey! I love grime, and I'm sure there's others here into it as well, so it's good to have this OT.

What's grime? Vox have a good explanation. It's a genre that hails from London, combining drum n bass, hip-hop and garage. It's best explained by listening to it.

Some classics:
Skepta - Shutdown
Dizzee Rascal - I Luv U
Tempa T - Next Hype
Lethal Bizzle feat. JME & Tempa T - Rari Workout
Skepta ft JME - That's Not Me
Wiley vs. Kano - Lord of the Mics 1

Here's a reddit list with a bunch of stuff

Some recent bangers:
Dizzee Rascal - Space
Blay Vision - Gone Mad
Damndef (댐데프) ft Moldy (몰디), J-mal & Catarrh Nisin (カタルナイシン) - Do It
JD Reid x Novelist - Ready
Wiley Ft Devlin - Bring Them All / Holy Grime

The moment grime went big - Drake brought Skepta onstage
And of course.... the eternal legend: Big Shaq - Mans Not Hot

lru1e7utsikz.jpg

So let's talk about grime!

Mods: This should probably end up in hangouts, but considering it's a new OT, can we give it a few days before it's moved so that we can build a bit of a community?

Here are some recommendations:

Wiley - Godfather
Skepta - Konnichiwa
President T - T On The Wing
JME - Integrity
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner
Durrty Goodz - Axiom
Kano - Home Sweet Home
Slew Dem - Non Stop Working
Frisco - Back 2 Da Lab Vol II
unnamed_12.jpg

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite tunes of the last year

Love some of this guy's vocals as well

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, hopefully we build quite a community going forward. Grime is definitely on the rise!

Personally loving AJ Tracey, J Hus and Dave at the moment.

But for now I'd also like to share a two moments where world wide artists showed grime some love:

Kanye West performing All day at the brit awards with BBK

Drake and Skepta coming on stage during a section boys show. Know a few friends who passed on tickets to go

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This freestyle (it isn't really, they're mostly doing their own songs) is always fun to watch for the sheer power of the people in the room and how hype they get:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
K9

Guy on production is mssingno, you'll hear his beats pop up in a lot of grime from the last few years

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for making this thread and giving me a lot of dope stuff to listen to.

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
Big ups featuring Blay in the OT! Gone Mad is such a banger.
Sorry I never got around to PMing you last night nynt9 things got a bit hectic! I think the header image is broken too :(

This legendary LOTM should also be in the op though imo ;)

This is also a more recent face wrencher

Last edited:

DrunkDan

Oct 27, 2017
Not strictly Grime in the purest sense but 1-800 Dinosaur Presents: Trim is a decent album too. He was always one of my favourite MCs from Roll Deep but never really got as big as he should have.

Still feels a bit weird seeing grime become as mainstream as it has nowadays, a long way away from sharing tape packs amongst ourselves all those years ago!

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Big ups featuring Blay in the OT! Gone Mad is such a banger.
Sorry I never got around to PMing you last night nynt9 things got a bit hectic! I think the header image is broken too :(

This legendary LOTM should also be in the op though imo ;)

This is also a more recent face wrencher

Pretty sure that LOTM is in the linked reddit post. Also wow, I hadn't heard Krueger, that's heavy.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Awesome tracks in the op, and familiar neighbourhood in the videos. But I must be old, because I listen to that and go... "this sounds like rap music to me"

EDIT: not reading the OP here at Era either, there is actually a video explaining it I now see

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure that LOTM is in the linked reddit post. Also wow, I hadn't heard Krueger, that's heavy.
Ah yeah it is but it would be nice to have a link to LOTM in the op too imho since it's a big part of the scene
I'm finding Dizzee's new flow boring.
I agree. His latest album was kind of dead. Business man, space and ghost were the only 3 tracks I liked on it. Though the video of bop n keep it dipping was so good

Ninetiesboy

Oct 27, 2017
Been a lurker for about 5 years on GAF but joined here last night.

I'm a UK Grime artist, saw this thread so thought I might as well share one of my videos as my first post!

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know that this kind of rap from UK is a new genre. I love stormzy and dizee rascal. It's my power music in the gym.

Polymath

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Beans I agree that the scene is in a good state but I feel the sound of grime has been heavily influenced by hip-hop from the US, when I say that I don't mean transforming a hip-hop instrumental into a grime instrumental I mean the genre itself, such as heavy bass.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
That's what I like to know as well. If UK Drill is going to be posted here or in the general Hip Hop thread. If that's the case, we should make a world music thread for hip hop to cover French, Russian and other regions. And keep the UK stuff here. Because the UK and US have bigger scenes

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
UK drill and hip hop should be fine too imho since there's some overlap between the three anyway.

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beans I agree that the scene is in a good state but I feel the sound of grime has been heavily influenced by hip-hop from the US, when I say that I don't mean transforming a hip-hop instrumental into a grime instrumental I mean the genre itself, such as heavy bass.

Bass has always played a part in grime but I agree it is a lot more prominent in the last couple of years production wise.

That's what I like to know as well. If UK Drill is going to be posted here or in the general Hip Hop thread. If that's the case, we should make a world music thread for hip hop to cover French, Russian and other regions. And keep the UK stuff here. Because the UK and US have bigger scenes

A world music would be a nice idea actually.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, there's UK Drill music? LOL I gotta hear this. Can somebody post the best example of it?

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Yes lads! At work so can't post anything now.

You heard that Mic Righteous send for AJ Tracey tho? Flames.