• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I am expecting to see more movement to Labour next week with the WASPI policy. These may be 60-69 year olds but are they really going to vote against getting their pensions back? Labour the only ones offering it.

I wouldn't be so certain. My partner's mother is someone affected by this and she is still refusing to vote Labour. So yes, they really are going to vote against it because they're that stupid.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zac Goldsmith's pamphlet is amazing. He's in Richmond Park, but there's nothing about his party being the main force behind Brexit (because it's an ultra-remain area), there's nothing about Heathrow's expansion which he promised to stop, there's nothing about growing the business or the economy... It's all about how he's super pro-environment. He even voted once to punish people who are mean to animals harder (not hunting of course, just, non-descript animal cruelty thingies).
He even changed the colour: he's not conservative blue, the visuals are all green. If it were not for the little "conservative" logo at the bottom, I would have though that was the pamphlet for Caroline Lucas' new boytoy.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
There's two main problems with the Tory manifesto:

a) It's 'safe' - there's nothing startling about what it promises, and yet:

b) It's chock full of outright lies. Just read a few paragraphs about Tory 'beliefs' (NHS, environment, social care, etc) and in the first sentence or two you'll see the first of many lies.

A lot of it, when you actually go through it, is actually fundamentally promising not to make things even worse. Take this little diddy:
We will introduce an NHS Visa. Our NHS People Plan will ensure that we train and employ tens of thousands more NHS professionals here in the UK. But we also want to make sure that those from overseas who want to work in and support our NHS are encouraged to do so. That is why qualified doctors, nurses and allied health professionals with a job offer from the NHS, who have been trained to a recognised standard, and who have good working English, will be offered fast-track entry, reduced visa fees and dedicated support to come to the UK with their families.

What's that? Your chief political issue is going to fundamentally undermine the ability to staff the second biggest political issue? We've got a fix for that!

Meanwhile on the disabilities, a lot of it is waffle about they'll do something, but don't really specify what or how. The usual we care bollocks that'll last just long enough before they screw people over:
We will treat mental health with the same urgency as physical health. We will legislate so that patients suffering from mental health conditions, including anxiety or depression, have greater control over their treatment and receive the dignity and respect they deserve.

We will make it easier for people with learning disabilities and autism to be discharged from hospital and improve how they are treated in law.

As a later follow-up:
We will also provide £74 million over three years for additional capacity in community care settings for those with learning disabilities and autism.

So actually only around 24.66 million a year. Meanwhile the 1.4 billion over 5 years - or 280 mil a year - previously promised to CAMHS has been an infamous clusterfuck.

Obviously that's more mental stuff, but I'd take a similar wariness to anything else they're offering

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Tory Manifesto will give a bit of a bump for the Tory party, not a massive one but it'll be there. Even if you pointed out the flaws in it a lot of minds are already made up with those voters and they aren't likely to change.

Seeing how Jo Swinson has been seen over the last few days may result in a migration of Lib Dems to Labour voters, especially now that a Second Referendum has been promised under Labour, it's a compromise that could work.

So I predict that the overall vote will narrow a bit over the next week, maybe to 8 points difference or thereabouts. But we'll see.

What matters is to keep campaigning, and get potential voters activated as much as you can. It's a mountain to climb but mountains have been climbed before :)

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
If only the papers would haul the bullshit Tory manifesto over the coals and expose the rubbish.

I bet the costing of it is simply "BREXIT DIVIDEND".

And how cowardly to duck the social care issue pretty much completely. Cross party consensus, fucking bullshit. Trust us, yeah? We'll have a majority but rather than make the difficult choice we'll just kick the can and try and bring others on board to share the blame on a few years.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
If only the papers would haul the bullshit Tory manifesto over the coals and expose the rubbish.

I bet the costing of it is simply "BREXIT DIVIDEND".

And how cowardly to duck the social care issue pretty much completely. Cross party consensus, fucking bullshit. Trust us, yeah? We'll have a majority but rather than make the difficult choice we'll just kick the can and try and bring others on board to share the blame on a few years.

Their claim is that they've 'restored the nation's finances'. Nevermind the national debt is literally only a couple of percent lower than its absolute peak a few years back.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

going for the nhs is only bad because of foreigners being supposed parasites narrative i see

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The democrat strategy basically. I'd rather vote green.

In other words you'd rather condemn everyone to a Tory government than doing something practical. Also there is a big difference between being electable and having to compromise everything. Someone needs to beat the Tories and if the Corbynite cannot after two tries think of the people who will suffer in that time.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Tories get an easy ride on everything but especially fiscal matters, the evidence is against them but it doesn't matter.

uk_government_debt_in_cash.png

uk-debt-gdp-2019.png

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In other words you'd rather condemn everyone to a Tory government than doing something practical. Also there is a big difference between being electable and having to compromise everything. Someone needs to beat the Tories and if the Corbynite cannot after two tries think of the people who will suffer in that time.
Brown, Miliband and Corbyn. Hardly the same person or politics being forward in the past decade.

is the solution to panic, overcorrect and become the democratic party of the UK by constantly meeting the Tories in the middle as they keep moving right or should they actually build on the current model that is popular, figure out how to address the challenges in the country and not just tinker around the edges?

If people just want a Tony Blair tribute act they can vote for it. I won't.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

Dear Ms White,

I am writing to you as a reluctant whistle-blower to ask for a thorough investigation into BBC News and Current Affairs in regard to, firstly, a number of films relating to the far-right, Russia and Brexit that were not broadcast, secondly, films that were broadcast but were improperly compromised and, thirdly, a number of senior journalists who have been allowed to compromise BBC editorial values by taking financial inducements or benefits in kind.

At the outset I should say that I have been informed, entertained and educated by the BBC my whole life. I worked for the BBC for 17 years and left last month and I feel grateful to many of my extraordinary colleagues who do great work for the public good. I pay the license fee and passionately believe in the BBC's mission.

It is exactly because of that belief that I feel compelled to share what I know from the inside of BBC News and Current Affairs. BBC management, led by Director-General Tony Hall, has become so risk-averse in the face of threats from the far-right and the Russian state and its proxies that due impartiality is being undermined and investigative journalism is being endangered. Films have been not broadcast or enfeebled. Senior journalists have taken money or benefits in kind from Big Tobacco, a dodgy passport-selling company, and proxies for the Russian state.

My concerns centre on the following programmes or films:
* Our Panorama on far-right activist Tommy Robinson which should have been broadcast in February or March this year. It had fresh information on Robinson's links with German far right sources and there was potential to explore how Robinson was being indirectly funded by Kremlin money. Robinson set out to intimidate the BBC. Not broadcast.
* Our Newsnight investigation into Lord Mandelson which caused him to change his House of Lords' register recording money he got from a Russian company connected to the mafiya. After a direction intervention by Mandelson's friend, then BBC Head of News, James Harding, the investigation stopped. Not broadcast.
* Our Newsnight investigation into the dubious connections between former Culture Secretary John Whittingdale MP and Dmitri Firtash, the pro-Kremlin oligarch currently fighting extradition to the United States. Not broadcast.
* Our Newsnight investigation into Henley & Partners, a dodgy passport-selling firm which sought to silence Daphne Caruana Galizia before she was assassinated. Outside a H & P event in London I was physically assaulted by security for the Maltese PM. Inside a BBC presenter was doing a paid corporate gig for H&P. Not broadcast.
* A Newsnight investigation into the pro-Russian sympathies of Labour spin doctor, Seumas Milne. Not commissioned. Not broadcast.
* A Panorama on Roman Abramovich: made and completed. I did not work on this but know of it. Not broadcast.
* A BBC News investigation into Brexit funder Arron Banks. I did not work on this but know of it. Not broadcast.

Please note that roughly in the same time frame BBC News – not Current Affairs - did broadcast investigations into Cliff Richards and Lord Bramall and Lord Brittan on the basis of a fantasist. Both investigations should never have been broadcast.

The BBC did broadcast films I made that were weakened by management. They include:
* A series of Newsnight films into Arron Banks, the man who helped fund Brexit and Nigel Farage. Some were broadcast but the strength of the journalism was enfeebled by management. One, exploring Nigel Farage's worries about Mr Banks' connections to Russia, was not broadcast. A second, on Katya Banks and how she came to the United Kingdom, was not broadcast.
* A Panorama on Russia called Taking On Putin. This was broadcast last year. In the course of making it the acting head of the BBC Moscow bureau told our Panorama team to leave the bureau though we had sensitive rushes on us and were being pursued by Moscow police. He then informed the Foreign Ministry that I had been filming without a press pass. Not giving me a press pass is a routine piece of administrative harassment by the Russian state. Our fixer was forced to leave Russia for good. It felt like our BBC Moscow colleagues saw the Kremlin as their friend and us as the enemy.

On all the films above I worked on, I sought to complain to BBC management about failures to broadcast or weakening of editorial stance. Most did not seriously engage with my complaints. One senior manager did not reply to four emails I sent asking for a meeting so we never spoke.

To be fair, BBC management have an extraordinary difficult task. Brexit has split the country and maintaining fairness and due impartiality under ferocious pressure, accelerated by social media, is exhausting. The problem is this exhaustion has led to corporate risk aversion and this is destroying investigative journalism at the BBC.

Separately, I fear that BBC values have been undermined by the following senior editors and presenters. Jon Sopel, BBC North America, doing a paid corporate gig for US tobacco giant Philip Morris this year. Justin Webb, Today programme presenter, doing a paid corporate gig for Henley & Partners on two separate occasions.

Sarah Sands, editor of the Today programme and Amol Rajan, BBC Media Editor, receiving benefits in kind from their former employer, Russian oligarch Evgeny Lebedev. They attended parties thrown by Lebedev in his Italian palazzo. A third guest was Boris Johnson, now prime minister. It seems impossible for any reporter on the Today programme to fully investigate widely reported stories that as Foreign Secretary Mr Johnson was seen as a "security risk" because of his attendance at Mr Lebedev's parties if their editor was also a beneficiary of Mr Lebedev's generosity. Amol Rajan as BBC Media Editor has reported on Mr Lebedev's business affairs and he too has been a beneficiary of the oligarch's generosity.

None of this non-BBC work or benefits are for the public good.

It is a characteristic of someone in my position to overstate the significance of their complaints. I do not want to do this. The vast majority of the BBC's output is excellent and to be trusted.

But the sorry history of investigations not broadcast I report above demonstrates a general pattern of risk aversion and fearfulness. This is a common complaint of BBC journalists. My particular concern is the ability of the Russian state and its proxies to cramp the BBC's journalism when it investigates what the Kremlin & Co are up to. You cannot make a series of Panoramas on Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump without seeing the evidence of the Russian state and its proxies interfering with democratic politics around the world. That interference includes the United Kingdom. I note that Number Ten has indicated that blocked the publication of the Commons select committee on Russian interference today.

Beyond these points there is a wider issue of the effective non-regulation of social media. The experience of being attacked by Tommy Robinson's supporters – they behave like a cult – whilst the BBC did not broadcast our Panorama on him was maddening for me, literally so. A freelance colleague made a radio programme about one of his supporters. The stress of being a victim of the far-right online hate machine caused my colleague, who was heavily pregnant at the time, to have a panic attack so intense she mistakenly feared it was a miscarriage. Happily, mother and baby are fine. My observation as a front-line investigative journalist is that public interest broadcasting is over-regulated and social media hardly at all. Social media must be brought within the rule of law or our democracy will be poisoned.

I have evidence to back up every point I make in this letter and practical suggestions to reform and develop the OfCom code if you decide to take the matters raised here further. Please let me know what your response is. I am separately writing to the chair of the House of Commons select committees on the media and copying in the chairs of the intelligence and foreign affairs committees.

Yours sincerely,
John Sweeney

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Optimistic.

The Tory manifesto is promising to protect the integrity of our elections from outside interference while the Tory party suppresses a report in to outside interference in our elections.
The one good thing about social media is sometimes things blow up so much they can't be totally ignored. But I probably am being too optimistic about this one, hopefully one of the parliamentary committees atleast talk to him.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Brown, Miliband and Corbyn. Hardly the same person or politics being forward in the past decade.

is the solution to panic, overcorrect and become the democratic party of the UK by constantly meeting the Tories in the middle as they keep moving right or should they actually build on the current model that is popular, figure out how to address the challenges in the country and not just tinker around the edges?

If people just want a Tony Blair tribute act they can vote for it. I won't.

Only one of two parties can win a general election. The Labour Party has a proud tradition of being a centre left party to combat the right wing Tories. It needs to be a proper centre left party. It needs a sensible program that isn't taking the extreme spending risks. It can still take the same views on taxation. It can still look to be socially progressive. It should not try to compromise on immigration. BUT there has to be a sensible approach. Otherwise a Labour Party that wants to spend so much. Nationalise so much isn't going to win any election and the only alternative is a right wing Tory government.

I would argue that the Corbyn types have hijacked a party that historically has little to do with this type of far left politics or at least posturing. Other than the awful Foot period Labour has rarely been this far left of centre certainly in its positioning or messaging.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I would argue that the Corbyn types have hijacked a party that historically has little to do with this type of far left politics or at least posturing. Other than the awful Foot period Labour has rarely been this far left of centre certainly in its positioning or messaging.

Where would you place the 1945 government?

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Tories get an easy ride on everything but especially fiscal matters, the evidence is against them but it doesn't matter.

uk-debt-gdp-2019.png

There's no point trying to shame the Conservatives about the fact they never got rid of the deficit because the UK running a deficit was never a problem to begin with. Because it doesn't matter the Tories can just drop this rhetoric at any time without consequences.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Only one of two parties can win a general election. The Labour Party has a proud tradition of being a centre left party to combat the right wing Tories. It needs to be a proper centre left party. It needs a sensible program that isn't taking the extreme spending risks. It can still take the same views on taxation. It can still look to be socially progressive. It should not try to compromise on immigration. BUT there has to be a sensible approach. Otherwise a Labour Party that wants to spend so much. Nationalise so much isn't going to win any election and the only alternative is a right wing Tory government.

Corbyn and his policies are far from far left

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
How the fcuk is wolverhampton a swing seat?

That City is dead and how anyone there could vote Tory I have no idea.

Massive support for Brexit and as it's been Labour for as long as I've been alive, and long before that, I believe... It's one of the biggest examples of being forgotten and abandoned, so people are just sick the death of it. That being said, if not for Brexit party, it'd probably stay Labour, but think the Labour vote will suffer the most from that, so likely to be Con gain, sadly.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

our media is so woefully inadequate at handling a political strategy based primarily around lying

they've known this since the referendum yet also show no interest in changing to deal with it and get angry at anyone who dares criticise them

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

uk-debt-gdp-2019.png

I always find this baffling, were did the money go. I guess you could perhaps say Labour polices, investment caught up to some degree but it really doesn't explain the rest, what happened that sees it increase so much when apparently Tories aren't investing much and cutting back. Does our economy just suck or something?

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Using the term sensible is emotive but ultimately meaningless without context. Is it sensible that people are sleeping rough? Is it sensible that parents are having to choose between feeding themselves and their kids? Is it sensible to oppress the vulnerable and minorities?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I always find this baffling, were did the money go. I guess you could perhaps say Labour polices, investment caught up to some degree but it really doesn't explain the rest, what happened that sees it increase so much when apparently Tories aren't investing much and cutting back. Does our economy just suck or something?
Being very simplistic they cut taxes and reduced growth by cutting spending in the aftermath of a depression.

For a better more educated idea, Krugman(nobel laureate for economics) addresses it here

Paul Krugman: The austerity delusion

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah don't think of the increase in debt as the UK spending more, think of it as the UK generating less so even if it spends less, the gap widens.

The lack of investment by the government just means wasting more money on things like outsourcing and all those assessments for fit to work shite.

Oct 25, 2017
Using the term sensible is emotive but ultimately meaningless without context. Is it sensible that people are sleeping rough? Is it sensible that parents are having to choose between feeding themselves and their kids? Is it sensible to oppress the vulnerable and minorities?
Sensible to to the privileged, I'm sure. I consider it a dog whistle.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

deficit went up massively due to the global financial crisis and the consequences of the biggest recession since the 30s (much less tax money coming in, much more unemployment benefit going out), then growth out of the recession was very sluggish under the tory government due to avoiding stimulus which continues that for longer. remember osborne took us back into the recession brown got us out of. that explains the big jump between 2008-2013 in the %gdp graph (net debt is completely useless measure due to effects of inflation)

since then ultimately everything costs more each year due to an ageing population and the tories also balanced the spending cuts with substantial tax cuts on personal allowance, corporation tax and scrapping brown's 50p rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.