• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 23, 2019
The game is incredible and I'm easily having as much fun with it as HZD and Spider-Man.

Hope the word of mouth continues the strong sales. Bend just made their first AAA game and it's really, really good. In some ways it's the best looking open world game and incredibly atmospheric with strong gameplay loops.

Hopefully we see a sequel or new IP from them on PS5 in a few years (not 7!) and the studio can grow into another marquee dev house from Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, was not expecting that at all. That's really impressive, but still it's the uk and we've found out time and time again that it's not really reflective of the wider market in terms of trends.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping this is the case and we have another Sony studio joining the heights of ND, Guerrilla, Team Asobi, Santa Monica and hopefully Sucker punch
Yeah I hope so.

Bend are really talented. These guys started making the game when they were around 60 developers and are now around 130 developers. It is really crazy how huge the game is with this little people behind it. I can only imagine how much better it would be in the next game.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Game starts out slow and become more enjoyable as it opens up. Defintely a solid 7-8 game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With 70k, it's the biggest or second biggest launch of the year in UK (physical only)

UK 1Q-2019 Biggest Week One Sales (retail):

01. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (CAPCOM) ~ 70k
02. KINGDOM HEARTS III (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) ~ 66k
03. TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION 2 (UBISOFT) ~ 55k
04. ANTHEM (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 45k
05. SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) ~ 30k
06. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXE (NINTENDO)
07. FAR CRY NEW DAWN (UBISOFT)
08. DEVIL MAY CRY 5 (CAPCOM) ~ 21k
09. METRO EXODUS (DEEP SILVER)
10. YOSHI'S CRAFTED WORLD (NINTENDO)

Even more impressive in context. Including digital it's likely over 100k.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I had a feeling Days Gone would sell well, it has a lot of appeal for mainstream audiences. I will pick it up later on when the bugs are ironed out and the price drops.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But but but....

Ok, I have nothing. Very happy to see this tho. I'm about 5-10 hours in, it's a good game. Don't let the reviews, MC score fool you.

I mean, it's not like 72 means terrible. Just so so for some reviewers.

The NPD thread will be entertaining.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
That's a great result for a new IP, from an unproven Dev, at the end of a gen.

Considering gow results last year was also off the back of some incredible hype due to the amazing reviews it got, this is strong showing for Sony. Couldn't pick it up last week as it was sold out at my local Tesco but I'll pick it up next weekend for sure.

Congrats to bend!

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It's week one sales are decent, but it could still very well drop and have poor legs.
Yeah, Anthem was one of the best selling games of 2019 so far, but it had poor legs/word of mouth and overall a sales failure due to their huge budget. It is a bit premature to call Days Gone a huge success, but I don't see it being a failure/collapse like Anthem either. I guess it will depend if any upcoming game like Rage 2 will steal its thunder or if it becomes an ever-green that keeps selling steadily throughout the year. It could be this years Ghost Recon: Wildlands which didn't review well and wasn't popular with the hardcore crowd, but kept selling like crazy to the casual audience. On the other hand, the hype could quickly deflate and we could be seeing the title selling for half price within the next 2 months. So it is a very good debut for a new IP, but the long term success remains to be seen.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Oh really? Guess I must be reading some other thread because these are all the people who mentioned reviews in this thread before you made that post.

Totally people saying reviews = fake news.

That wasn't meant to be taken literally, and four of those 6 posts had the "this game is good regardless of reviews" subtext to them so I'm not exactly 'convinced'. Looking through the thread there are many more examples of posts that either imply that reviews aren't very useful or that 'haters should eat crow' (to varying degrees, of course), the two things I was making a quick sarcastic jab at with my original post:

Zombie fatigue.
wm6P28.gif
It's a good game. Glad to know it's doing well irrespective of the hyperbolic negativity
That zombie fatigue though
Congrats to Bend Studios. Bend it like bend, around the haters and into the goal.
Good job Bend. The game is way better than it's getting credit for.
Congrats to Bend. The game's good. I can see and understand the issues reviewers had with it - it is rather generic and uninspired, but for many of us, that's okay - as it still plays relatively well, has a decent gameplay loop and looks great.
It would appear the game is review proof, and thankfully so as I want a sequel!

But metacritic said.
I'm about 5-10 hours in, it's a good game. Don't let the reviews, MC score fool you.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
This is a good reminder that single-player games still can sell. I wonder if the dip in sales is going to be a global thing for MKXI.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Anthem was one of the best selling games of 2019 so far, but it had poor legs/word of mouth and overall a sales failure due to their huge budget. It is a bit premature to call Days Gone a huge success, but I don't see it being a failure/collapse like Anthem either. I guess it will depend if any upcoming game like Rage 2 will steal its thunder or if it becomes an ever-green that keeps selling steadily throughout the year. It could be this years Ghost Recon: Wildlands which didn't review well and wasn't popular with the hardcore crowd, but kept selling like crazy to the casual audience. On the other hand, the hype could quickly deflate and we could be seeing the title selling for half price within the next 2 months. So it is a very good debut for a new IP, but the long term success remains to be seen.
God of War and Spider-Man both had cuts akin to that not too long after their launch and they are the number 1 and 2 fastest selling exclusives all time for Sony.

I think Sony just doesn't mind dropping the price for their games after a little while. As such, I don't think price drops are a good indicator of performance for Sony titles.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
God of War and Spider-Man both had cuts akin to that not too long after their launch and they are the number 1 and 2 fastest selling exclusives all time for Sony.

I think Sony just doesn't mind dropping the price for their games after a little while. As such, I don't think price drops are a good indicator of performance for Sony titles.

Detroit, God of War and Spider-Man have been on sale here and there since their launches so I agree.

Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't meant to be taken literally, and four of those 6 posts had the "this game is good regardless of reviews" subtext to them so I'm not exactly 'convinced'. Looking through the thread there are many more examples of posts that either imply that reviews aren't very useful or that 'haters should eat crow' (to varying degrees, of course), the two things I was making a quick sarcastic jab at with my original post:

You are calling out posts making fun of zombie fatigue.

News flash. Zombie fatigue is indeed some dumb shit only folks on forums like Era say.

WWZ and now DG prove that.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The game is great! I'm so happy for Bend. I hope it becomes a huge success for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Why did you quote me here?

"Zombie fatigue" is a narrative (which is false) being spread around here and on social media. What does it have to do with reviews or haters?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correct.

Physical only.
Even more impressive in context. Including digital it's likely over 100k.

I feel like a lot of people didn't think this was possible. The era conversation was never taken for what it was, a conversation within a bubble. I kept saying that Day's Gone had the potential to take the top spot in the UK because amazon UK is indicative of UK gaming trends. And on Amazon, MK...

A. Never charted higher than Days Gone
B. Only entered the top 100 recently

Shout out to Loudninja for all those "unnecessary" Days Gone threads.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved. Hoping it has good legs and warrants a PS5 sequel. What they achieved visually alone is incredibly impressive for their comparative size.

Sony need to give this team more money to hire more staff moving forward. They could easily be churning out titles on the level of GG and Santa Monica imo.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You are calling out posts making fun of zombie fatigue.

News flash. Zombie fatigue is indeed some dumb shit only folks on forums like Era say.

WWZ and now DG prove that.

Why did you quote me here?

"Zombie fatigue" is a narrative (which is false) being spread around here and on social media. What does it have to do with reviews or haters?

I very rarely, if ever, see people argue that zombie fatigue is something that is shared by the general populace. It mostly just seems to me as something extrapolated from someone saying that they're tired of zombies (as most 'Era Bubble' posts tend to do), so I consider it to fit into what my initial post was poking fun at.

Anyway, this ain't serious at all lol

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved. Hoping it has good legs and warrants a PS5 sequel. What they achieved visually alone is incredibly impressive for their comparative size.

Sony need to give this team more money to hire more staff moving forward. They could easily be churning out titles on the level of GG and Santa Monica imo.
If Days Gone does well commercially, Bend will have its own motion cap studio in their building

Oct 27, 2017
I very rarely, if ever, see people argue that zombie fatigue is something that is shared by the general populace. It mostly just seems to me as something extrapolated from someone saying that they're tired of zombies (as most 'Era Bubble' posts tend to do), so I consider it to fit into what my initial post was poking fun at.

Oh but it is.

A quick glance at the Days Gone and WWZ threads we had before the release will show you how this term is being used as truth.

Oct 25, 2017

Then you haven't been paying attention to many posts on Era. Zombie fatigue gets promulgated in the same way lots of folks seriously argue about super hero fatigue at the box office every now and then, before quickly and massively being proven wrong.

You quoted folks that aren't harping against reviewers. They are harping against a dumb talking point on forums.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Oh but it is.

A quick glance at the Days Gone and WWZ threads we had before the release will show you how this term is being used as truth.
Then you haven't been paying attention to many posts on Era. Zombie fatigue gets promulgated in the same way lots of folks seriously argue about super hero fatigue at the box office every now and then, before quickly and massively being proven wrong.

You quoted folks that aren't harping against reviewers. They are harping against a dumb talking point on forums.

I mean, I did read those threads and have seen most of the posts you're referring to so this is clearly a difference of interpretation in my eyes.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, the game is good outside of being buggy (buggiest Sony first party I played).

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Oh really? Guess I must be reading some other thread because these are all the people who mentioned reviews in this thread before you made that post.

Totally people saying reviews = fake news.
For the record, I've been known to like "bad" games. Just like people, games are flawed. But I know some really fucked up people with a LOT of character. They're also pretty fun to hang out with from time-to-time.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The relatively "small" gap to God of War is surprising, because GoW is an established IP and more importantly people were at a fever pitch at launch because it had already been showered with near perfect scores for two weeks due to the early embargo.
It's kind of cool to see people are getting emancipated from review scores every now and then.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very impressive

With the positive word of mouth I am seeing, I think this is going to sell very well LTD.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't know why you quoted my post. My point is i will always root for new IP. No one wants to see studios fail and/or closed because of a failed attempt at a new idea.
IMO sometimes this place is unforgiving when it comes to new games. I wish people would be more optimistic when it comes to new IP. This is stuff we all love doing in our spare time so why not wish and hope for the best possible experience for us.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
~70K at £48+

Bit pricey for the supposed unpatched BD game quality. I'll bite at a good discount.