• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The price of Crash is far too high, in my opinion. Publishers are going to have to get used to this with games being so expensive now.

If consumers by and large reject this pricing, then it'll be a good thing in the long term if these games underperform at launch. It'd be the only sure-fire way to convince publishers that releasing games at £70 maybe isn't such a swell idea.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If consumers by and large reject this pricing, then it'll be a good thing in the long term if these games underperform at launch. It'd be the only sure-fire way to convince publishers that releasing games at £70 maybe isn't such a swell idea.

Yep! I expect prices to crash fast, personally. They're just too expensive.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
It's £60 digital in the UK. I can't see it doing crazy numbers digitally.

Picking it up tomorrow at retail because I don't want to pay that.
This is the main reason it's not very high performing in the UK at least. Everywhere is selling it at RRP (even Tesco is selling it for £55 apparently), which even most new AAA games don't launch at here. I mean, the game deserves to be full price, it's excellent and Nintendo puts out tons of platformers for the same price and no ones complains, BUT I completely understand why, in this specific situation, it did not sell absolute gangbusters.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I know I haven't bought it yet because I need to know how they're going to deal with next gen versions.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
LOL critical thinking? I wasn't aware you had the sales data from which to draw any relevant thoughts? Do tell us how much n sane sold on Switch, first week and life to date info would be great.

Oh wait.... You don't have those? You're thinking is based off of online lobby numbers of a game in a different genre at one specific point in time?

You must have some great critical thinking powers when with your extremely limited and almost irrelevant data set you can best a genuine retail analyst with years of very relevant factual data at his disposal. Well played!

It wasn't "online lobby numbers". It was the total online playerbase for the last relevant release in the same franchise that launched day and date across all platforms which makes it a pretty good point of comparison and a look at the game's popularity on each platform. But I know, it's hard to acknowledge something that doesn't fit your biases.

Anyways, you seem to have missed the point of my post entirely, which doesn't really surprise me but let me try again.

Look at how poorly the game runs on base consoles, now imagine if they had to split resources to rush out a Switch version for launch. The PS4/XBO releases would have been even worse and the Switch version would have been a complete disaster.

What exactly do you think the developers should have done here?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really say anyone is wrong for saying prices are getting too high

But I find it really offputting that crash is getting shit for it when because it's a 3D platformer. No one will be saying God of War Part II is overpriced. Platformers arent inherently worth less and ERA needs to stop this mindset

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how legs will be but it is a disappointing debut for sure. Question is why the N'sane Trilogy crowd (which moved 1m+ copies overall in the UK) didn't show up here ? (no nostalgia, missing platform, pricier than the trilogy...)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
We'll see how legs will be but it is a disappointing debut for sure. Question is why the N'sane Trilogy crowd (which moved 1m+ copies overall in the UK) didn't show up here ? (no nostalgia, missing platform, pricier than the trilogy...)
Crash NST was the perfect storm:
  • Long awaited return of Crash
  • $40 pricetag for 3 full remakes
  • Trilogy of games people in the UK were really nostalgic for
  • Believed to be exclusive, with Sony pushing it hard

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Crash NST was the perfect storm:
  • Long awaited return of Crash
  • $40 pricetag for 3 full remakes
  • Trilogy of games people in the UK were really nostalgic for
  • Believed to be exclusive, with Sony pushing it hard
True but it looks like that it might be a one-off rather than great fundations to build the franchise's future on.

Don't get me wrong, these numbers are still good in a vacuum but clearly it is not selling as well as NST, both at launch and in the long-term, made us believe.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
MOVE OVER KNACK
nYSAvoB.gif

CRASH IS BACK BAYBEEEEEEEEE

thank crash

Please continue to do well so that I can have more.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I know I haven't bought it yet because I need to know how they're going to deal with next gen versions.

This is where I'm at. I'd be willing to get it on PS4 (Slim) if there's a PS5 upgrade coming but my worry is that, if I start it on PS4, my save will be lost. If there isn't a PS5 upgrade then I might as well get it on XB1X instead. Either way it sucks that there's a 1080p maximum at the moment for a game that looks this good.

But I find it really offputting that crash is getting shit for it when because it's a 3D platformer. No one will be saying God of War Part II is overpriced. Platformers arent inherently worth less and ERA needs to stop this mindset

Things such as video-games aren't inherently worth anything; all that matters is what people subjectively think something is worth. As such when prices increase the barrier for what people think is subjectively worth it becomes higher, and that means genres such as 3D Platformers which seem to offer less subjective value for a lot of people (for numerous reasons, most of them valid) are going to be hit harder than franchises such as God of War and Call of Duty. That doesn't mean they are objectively worse, or that it has anything to do with the quality in regards to what the game sets out to do, but that's the truth of things.

The disparity is only greater now due to various other factors inherent to Crash's release such as the economic downturn, the upcoming games deluge of November, and the fact that a prior game in the series with more objective value sold for nearly half the price at launch (and quickly went below that anyway).

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't "online lobby numbers". It was the total online playerbase for the last relevant release in the same franchise that launched day and date across all platforms which makes it a pretty good point of comparison and a look at the game's popularity on each platform. But I know, it's hard to acknowledge something that doesn't fit your biases.

Anyways, you seem to have missed the point of my post entirely, which doesn't really surprise me but let me try again.

What exactly do you think the developers should have done here?

I wasn't interested in that given it was not at all what you initially said and what I quoted you saying. And those online numbers were a snapshot a week after release that tells you nothing about on going sales, what portion of those are from new / used copies, what portion of buyers took the game online.....hence me trusting someone with actual real numbers and data who is a professional as oppose to your psuedo info

In regard to your actual point in terms of it being worth the devs time I'd say yes considering NSane was a million seller and is likely showing exceptional legs on Switch (hence the comments from Ding)

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Another thing to consider is that the ps4 is by far the biggest platform for Crash games and a lot of those people might be waiting to pick up a PS5.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to consider is that the ps4 is by far the biggest platform for Crash games and a lot of those people might be waiting to pick up a PS5.
It is possible but the PS5 is retrocompatible, it should be able to run the game at enhanced setting without any patch. Next gen might distract PS4/XB1 owners from new releases but I am not totally convinced yet.

I think Activision underpriced the Nsane trilogy which is impacting negatively the value of Crash 4 (less games, more expensive for a similar, although enhanced, experience). It is not sure that a large chunk of the Nsane userbase finished the three games too.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Quite disappointing overall, especially in a country that is usually strangely high on bandicoot related games. I think the price is definitely a major factor here and I think a Switch version at launch could have been a smart move considering how well N-Sane did there and how well consoles and software are moving for it right now

Hopefully the numbers are higher elsewhere as it looks like it's a good game.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
- £60
- Super secretive about next gen upgrade path
- Saving for next gen

That's why I didn't buy it.

Then the DF vid came out and told me it wouldn't run well on my console.

I'll give it a shot when it's cheaper on a next gen console.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
It is possible but the PS5 is retrocompatible, it should be able to run the game at enhanced setting without any patch. Next gen might distract PS4/XB1 owners from new releases but I am not totally convinced yet.

I think Activision underpriced the Nsane trilogy which is impacting negatively the value of Crash 4 (less games, more expensive for a similar, although enhanced, experience). It is not sure that a large chunk of the Nsane userbase finished the three games too.
The price discrepancy is definitely a factor too. Activision set an expectation of what a Crash game is worth.

Deleted member 70647

Banned
May 31, 2020
- £60
- Super secretive about next gen upgrade path
- Saving for next gen

That's why I didn't buy it.

Then the DF vid came out and told me it wouldn't run well on my console.

I'll give it a shot when it's cheaper on a next gen console.
I played on base PS4 and ran perfectly fine for me lol, hope it's on next gen as well

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I wasn't interested in that given it was not at all what you initially said and what I quoted you saying. And those online numbers were a snapshot a week after release that tells you nothing about on going sales, what portion of those are from new / used copies, what portion of buyers took the game online.....hence me trusting someone with actual real numbers and data who is a professional as oppose to your psuedo info

In regard to your actual point in terms of it being worth the devs time I'd say yes considering NSane was a million seller and is likely showing exceptional legs on Switch (hence the comments from Ding)
The leaderboards were reset every month, so it was actually a pretty accurate way of measuring the active playerbase of each platform (you also didn't have to actively play online, doing any race offline during the month already counted you). Switch always had a similar playercount to the Xbox One, with PS4 being the leader by a wide margin.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

no this is quite specific
Right now Crash 4 is more expensive than Cyberpunk or any other AAA I can care to mention that isn't an upcoming cross gen title.

its silly and I say that having bought the thing

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019

Unfortunately there's a public perception that platform games are worth less than action/adventure titles, possibly because they're seen as being 'for kids' or more specifically here because Activision were selling three Crash games for incredible value a couple of years ago and maybe people are balking at the idea of paying around £15 more for just one game.

I understand that games cost money to make and the circumstances are different between a remake and a new game but I think that pricing strategy has had a negative effect here (at least in the UK)

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
True but it looks like that it might be a one-off rather than great fundations to build the franchise's future on.

Don't get me wrong, these numbers are still good in a vacuum but clearly it is not selling as well as NST, both at launch and in the long-term, made us believe.
Also people might be waiting for a next gen/Switch version. I am anyway.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about getting the game but the price being £50-60 definitely put me off for now. If I knew I'd 100% it then that might be different but Crash games are usually a one and done for me with how difficult they can get. And since I'm on base PS4 and performance didnt sound so hot so I can just get it on sale during the holidays and play it on PS5 BC.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
The leaderboards were reset every month, so it was actually a pretty accurate way of measuring the active playerbase of each platform (you also didn't have to actively play online, doing any race offline during the month already counted you). Switch always had a similar playercount to the Xbox One, with PS4 being the leader by a wide margin.

If its reset every month than isn't that the opposite of an accurate way to measure ongoing sales? How does that account for used games? The guy I originally quoted was suggesting we shouldn't listen to the analyst ("But analyst said" isn't a super compelling argument) whereas we should pay attention to some other, completely less relevant metric that is not at all accurate (especially when compared to years of actual ongoing retail sales data and their interpretation from someone whose job it is to analyse said data). Also maybe the analyst is taking into account Switch selling insane numbers in the 12 months since that release, meaning a literal million or more greater install base to sell to + Switch peaking in performance right now in the UK.................

I'm not (and never did) suggest it would outsell the PS4 version. Just commented how stupid it is to act like a Switch port wouldn't have performed well given the current market conditions and the guy with all the sales data telling you as much

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The guy I originally quoted was suggesting we shouldn't listen to the analyst ("But analyst said" isn't a super compelling argument) whereas we should pay attention to some other, completely less relevant metric that is not at all accurate (especially when compared to years of actual ongoing retail sales data and their interpretation from someone whose job it is to analyse said data).

Nah, you just lack basic reading comprehension. What I meant was that if you have a problem with my argument then respond to my actual argument. Don't just quote a vague statement from an analyst as if that proves you right automatically because somebody else agrees with you. If you have some proof of CTR Switch having amazing legs then share it? We get weekly charts for the UK, let me know how the game continued to sell after launch. For a guy so obsessed with data I'm waiting for you to actually provide some.

I'm not (and never did) suggest it would outsell the PS4 version. Just commented how stupid it is to act like a Switch port wouldn't have performed well given the current market conditions and the guy with all the sales data telling you as much

Yeah a broken ass Switch port at launch for a game that doesn't even run well on far more powerful hardware would have been huge for sales. A much better idea than prioritizing certain platforms and taking the time to do a proper port for the system (or maybe even waiting for a Pro variant) later on. Just rush it out and call it a day. Someone should put you in charge of TFB.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christopher Dring :"Crash 4's launch sales are 80% lower than that of N.Sane Trilogy. Crash has a history with PlayStation, and so it's no surprise to see that 82% of sales were on PS4 with the remainder on Xbox One. The new game was not made for Nintendo Switch (at least not yet), which has been a popular platform for Crash games with big sales for the N.Sane Trilogy and Crash Team Racing."

www.gamesindustry.biz

Crash Bandicoot 4 narrowly beats Star Wars Squadrons to No.1 l UK Boxed Charts

Activision's Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time beat EA's Star Wars Squadrons to No.1 this week, with just 1,000 boxed …

82% of sales were on PS4? Wtf. That's well outside of the actual install base split.

Are Xbox One owners just not buying as many games anymore due to Game Pass, or is there some other reason for this insane discrepancy?

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah a broken ass Switch port at launch for a game that doesn't even run well on far more powerful hardware would have been huge for sales. A much better idea than prioritizing certain platforms and taking the time to do a proper port for the system (or maybe even waiting for a Pro variant) later on. Just rush it out and call it a day. Someone should put you in charge of TFB.

Late ports almost always perform worse to comparatively similar products that are day and date. Crash 4's framerate on PS4 and Xbox One is shit because it targets 60fps with the framerate unlocked. It in both VG Tech and Digital Foundary's videos the Xbox One version when it targets 30fps hits it fine. With a Switch version its likely to target 30fps and from there it will likely run fine.

Anyhow, at the end of the day it is hard to understand how for a game like Crash 4 you don't target having a simulataneous launch on Switch. We can make a million excuses but year 4 on the market if you cant launch a platformer day one on the Switch you gotta look in the mirror.

I'm not buying any shitty "what were they suppose to do" takes. Really dont give a fuck tbh, all I know is I woulda bought it on Switch but I am not spending full price on late ports anymore so when it eventually comes it will be bought at deep discount.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, you just lack basic reading comprehension. What I meant was that if you have a problem with my argument then respond to my actual argument. Don't just quote a vague statement from an analyst as if that proves you right automatically because somebody else agrees with you. If you have some proof of CTR Switch having amazing legs then share it? We get weekly charts for the UK, let me know how the game continued to sell after launch. For a guy so obsessed with data I'm waiting for you to actually provide some.

I did exactly that. You're argument is that numbers derived from an online leaderboard, of a game released over a year ago and in a different genre are a good way to judge potential sales of a new game in a different genre, on a platform that has since expanded its audience by more than a million and is currently experiencing exceptional growth and outperforming all other systems. Whereas the opinion of someone who has access to up to date and historical sales data is "not compelling". If you can't understand how ridiculous that is then I'll stop wasting my time and assume you are trolling.

Also many games that were as you say "broken ass switch ports" did indeed sell better on Switch than other platforms i.e Bloodstained. and N Sane on Switch did more than a million worldwide. Anything else? Or do you have more concrete numbers from some different online leaderboards you'd like to share?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Crash being successful is only good for the platform genre and others deciding to green light more platformers.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
I'm wanting to pick both of these up, but for crash, I'm waiting for a pc version since the Xbox One S version does not run well apparently. For Squadrons, waiting for it to be patched due to performance issues on pc at high frame rates.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people talking as if a switch verison would have made a huge difference? How many do you think switch version would have sold, 5k? 10k?
Because they're trying to stealth port beg and not get banned. Look at all the posts talking about waiting for the switch version, a version that doesnt even exist rn. Straight up port begging

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I'm more shocked at Star Wars selling less than Crash. I know it's a budget title and not exactly a "casual" Star Wars game a la Fallen Order but the IP is much bigger than Crash and EA seemed to market it a fair bit

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
82% of sales were on PS4? Wtf. That's well outside of the actual install base split.

Are Xbox One owners just not buying as many games anymore due to Game Pass, or is there some other reason for this insane discrepancy?
It says on the same article that the split for Squadrons was 60 / 40, so I'd reckon it has more to do with Crash still being heavily associated with PlayStation.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Christopher Dring :"Crash 4's launch sales are 80% lower than that of N.Sane Trilogy. Crash has a history with PlayStation, and so it's no surprise to see that 82% of sales were on PS4 with the remainder on Xbox One. The new game was not made for Nintendo Switch (at least not yet), which has been a popular platform for Crash games with big sales for the N.Sane Trilogy and Crash Team Racing."

www.gamesindustry.biz

Crash Bandicoot 4 narrowly beats Star Wars Squadrons to No.1 l UK Boxed Charts

Activision's Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time beat EA's Star Wars Squadrons to No.1 this week, with just 1,000 boxed …
That's definitely not a good drop. It seems like the nostalgia was strong for the Trilogy release.

We'll see how much digital can close the gap, but the timing for this release was probably super bad.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Crash 4 is great. I think having it release so close to PS5/Xbox 4 likely hurt some impulse purchase, though, due to lack of next gen upgrade details.