• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
When people see reference image I wonder if they take into account reference viewing conditions too. Thats the purpose of cinema(dim room) vs cinema home(living room) on the LG anyway.

Only way "too dim" makes sense to me.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
When people see reference image I wonder if they take into account reference viewing conditions too. Thats the purpose of cinema(dim room) vs cinema home(living room) on the LG anyway.

Only way "too dim" makes sense to me.
I'm definitely in the "reference image is too dim" camp since I don't use my C1 in a light-controlled environment. The TV in general for SDR content seems pretty dim to me, no matter what I do. Huge difference between playing my Switch OLED and the C1, which is a bit disappointing. Proper HDR content is amazing on it though.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So after reading about the QLED Neo QN90A I thinking in buying it. Whats your opinion about this TV?

earlycuyler

Nov 4, 2019
Damn on a 77 C2 it's 749 for a 5 year warranty. If I got Total Tech does it give you the same coverage as the normal yearly warranties?
Totaltech will give you the same coverage. Just keep in mind it is $199 per year, so you're paying $400 to get 2 years of protection. After the "up to 24 months" if you continue to pay $199 for the total tech, you can pay a monthly fee of $8.99 per month to continue coverage on the tv. You can essentially cover it for as long as you'd like, as long as you're OK with $199 per year, and $8.99 per month on top. If you'll never use the total tech for any of the other benefits, or purchase anything else from best buy, and plan to only have the tv for 5 years, the $750 protection is a better deal.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
As a total noob regarding the latest tv's trends, (I still own a 2011 Samsung Plasma PN51D550) hooked up on my PC and XSX. I still like this TV tbh, I feel the colors are accurate, blacks are deep, no motion blur... But yeah, it's only 1080p, no HDR and 51-inch.

How much better is OLED or QL-OlED? Is there any drawbacks vs my Plasma? Considering it's 3 000$ Canadian here, just wondering how much better they are. 3 000$ is quite a bit of money...

What would be the best logical step to upgrade? OLED? LCD? Keep plasma and wait for the next best thing?

If you're happy with the plasma keep it for another year or two to let QD-oled work out the kinks and become available in more sizes and better prices in Canada. 4K/hdr is nice along with vrr but sdr still looks just as good on plasma and motion handling is still much superior for games.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
So after reading about the QLED Neo QN90A I thinking in buying it. Whats your opinion about this TV?

I had it for some time but returned it because of weird glitches and got a C1 (none of the Best Buy's in my area had another Q90 in 55" and I didn't want to wait). It's incredibly bright with spectacular HDR highlights in movies and games. It's the kind of TV you can have in a super bright room and never have to worry about the image in either SDR or HDR. It has a good game mode with low input lag. One thing to keep in mind is that it only has one 2.1 port, so you'll want to get a splitter if you have a PS5 and Series console that you want to directly connect. It also doesn't have Dolby Vision, but when the TV is so goddamn bright it's irrelevant. It also does HDR10+ which is similar and used by Prime. Other than that, I enjoyed my time when I had one.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had it for some time but returned it because of weird glitches and got a C1 (none of the Best Buy's in my area had another Q90 in 55" and I didn't want to wait). It's incredibly bright with spectacular HDR highlights in movies and games. It's the kind of TV you can have in a super bright room and never have to worry about the image in either SDR or HDR. It has a good game mode with low input lag. One thing to keep in mind is that it only has one 2.1 port, so you'll want to get a splitter if you have a PS5 and Series console that you want to directly connect. Other than that, I enjoyed my time when I had one.

Thanks! But i got a little worried about the glitches you had. Can you tell me more about it pls?

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
If you're happy with the plasma keep it for another year or two to let QD-oled work out the kinks and become available in more sizes and better prices in Canada. 4K/hdr is nice along with vrr but sdr still looks just as good on plasma and motion handling is still much superior for games.

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
What some are missing in HDR, is that the EOTF PQ curve is absolute. SDR is relative, so you can increase your backlight to something like 150 nits. HDR from 0-1000 nits on your consumer display, any excessive deviation will affect tone mapping, detail, color, shadow detail, depth, just overall contrast.

I find it odd that consumers who like oversaturated colors don't complain about colors while at a movie theater.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
HDR from 0-1000 nits on your consumer display, any excessive deviation will affect tone mapping, detail, color, shadow detail, depth, just overall contrast.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. 1000 nits is not the top end of displays, consumer or professional. HDR is designed to be mapped to the brightness of any display. Lots of content is mastered to 1000 nits, but some is mastered to 2000 or more, and the display's hardware is supposed to map it to the maximum luminance of the display (up or down). This can be done without affecting detail, color, shadow detail, depth. Contrast will change, however, of course.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
What some are missing in HDR, is that the EOTF PQ curve is absolute. SDR is relative, so you can increase your backlight to something like 150 nits. HDR from 0-1000 nits on your consumer display, any excessive deviation will affect tone mapping, detail, color, shadow detail, depth, just overall contrast.

I find it odd that consumers who like oversaturated colors don't complain about colors while at a movie theater.

Most HDR displays won't touch the shadows or midtones unless the overall movie is very, very bright. They tend to only tone map the brightness levels that are beyond the capability of the display (>750 nits for many OLED displays). The rest of the image should be able to be presented faithfully by the display depending on its calibration and factors such as ABL.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
It's not just the brightness that gets ramped up, but also the color saturation. Not to mention this large shift starts when you go from a 10% to a 9% window. This would suggest there's something else—something sketchy going on other than the usual ABL and ABSL type behavior. Unlike WOLED, QD-OLED shouldn't lose any saturation at high luminance levels, so there's no reason the saturation should vary that much with the brightness of the image.

With a not insignificant portion of HDR content being under 1000nits, there probably wouldn't be that dramatic of a different between WOLED and QD-OLED as it is (provided both displays are accurate). Some of the brightest elements on screen—things like a star field, the moon, the sun in broad daylight, etc.—normally aren't that saturated in content to begin with. Even at full field, QD-OLED is only a few dozen nits brighter than the current brightest WOLED. The advantages of QD-OLED's increased brightness and ability to maintain saturation will definitely give it a very real, very noticeable edge in a number of instances, but not in all of them. QD-OLED can certainly look better, but does it look better enough to the average person that it justifies the premium they'd pay over WOLED? When you look at it like that, it makes sense Samsung would want to rig things so they can say they look better in nearly every instance.

Let's not forget this is coming from the same company that had a large marketing campaign trashing WOLED for burn in and offered bounties to WOLED customers with evidence of burn in on their TVs. Like many manufacturers, Samsung is not above dirty tricks to get a competitive edge.

Great post. The same kind of scrutiny of the A95K Sony set is going to be fascinating.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. 1000 nits is not the top end of displays, consumer or professional. HDR is designed to be mapped to the brightness of any display. Lots of content is mastered to 1000 nits, but some is mastered to 2000 or more, and the display's hardware is supposed to map it to the maximum luminance of the display (up or down). This can be done without affecting detail, color, shadow detail, depth. Contrast will change, however, of course.

My mistake, I forgot to add "example", a consumer display that only achieves 1000 nits peak or displays like Sony ZD9 or Samsung QN90A that reaches 1800 nits peak..

For those that don't know. The Sony HX310 does 1000 nit Full Field or Full Screen and 1000nits peak. Dolby Pulsar 2000 nits Full Field and 4000 nits peak. FSI or Flanders Scientific has XM310K does 1000 nits Full Field and 3000 nits peak and have a more recent monitor that does 2000 nits full field and 5000 nits peak.

The tone mapping works properly when the EOTF accurately follows the curve then rolls off at peak or flattens(clipping at peak, which is what professional grading monitors do as they do not tone mapping).

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Thanks! But i got a little worried about the glitches you had. Can you tell me more about it pls?

Sure it was mostly OS related bugs and issues that kept adding up and annoying me. I also saw some visual glitches, not sure that was hardware or software though. Like some small colors on games being washed out, think of like colorful small HUD elements. I wanted to swap it to be safe but they didn't have a replacement and I needed a TV so the C1 was the only other TV I was considering. The panel itself was clean from DSE, some slight vignetting in the corners though, better than my 2018 TCL 6 series that it was replacing. I would recommend to get it from somewhere with a easy return policy to be safe.

Last edited:

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking for a tv under 2k for my living room (just movies/tv) but it needs to be 75". I saw the Hisense U88G and the reviews are awesome but there is no 75"!

Not sure what else compares to that, the Sony X90J is good but rarely below 2k. How is the higher end TCL?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking for a tv under 2k for my living room (just movies/tv) but it needs to be 75". I saw the Hisense U88G and the reviews are awesome but there is no 75"!

Not sure what else compares to that, the Sony X90J is good but rarely below 2k. How is the higher end TCL?

Try and find a good deal on the Sony X95J. The 75" on Amazon is going for $2198 right now, but other retailers may have it cheaper. That would undoubtedly be your best bet for a 75" TV in the $2k range.

I had a Sony X90J earlier this year and returned it. It just didn't get bright enough to make HDR pop in either movies/shows or games for me. The 75" model goes for about $1600 right now.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018

Hello!

I'm no expert at all but I am in the same boat as you - needing a good 75 inch set - and have been lurking in this thread for a long time.

Just wanted to say that the 75 inch TCL has an IPS panel, whereas the smaller TCL sets have VA panels. I nearly jumped in on a 75 TCL myself but stopped when this thread confirmed that wasn't a good idea; just wanted to share as you seem like you're in the same spot as I was.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Try and find a good deal on the Sony X95J. The 75" on Amazon is going for $2198 right now, but other retailers may have it cheaper. That would undoubtedly be your best bet for a 75" TV in the $2k range.

I had a Sony X90J earlier this year and returned it. It just didn't get bright enough to make HDR pop in either movies/shows or games for me. The 75" model goes for about $1600 right now.
Sorry I'm in Canada, X95J is way over budget. I have an OLED in the basement I use for most consumption but want something upstairs for the occasional movie and for guests.
Hello!

I'm no expert at all but I am in the same boat as you - needing a good 75 inch set - and have been lurking in this thread for a long time.

Just wanted to say that the 75 inch TCL has an IPS panel, whereas the smaller TCL sets have VA panels. I nearly jumped in on a 75 TCL myself but stopped when this thread confirmed that wasn't a good idea; just wanted to share as you seem like you're in the same spot as I was.

I did read the TCL i was looking at had a lot of OS issues and people were not recommending it. I would totally jump on the Hisense U8 but only Australia has it in 75, so strange.

Davyyy

Apr 18, 2022
Sony X90K priced at 1599€ and QN90B with bonus at 1799€. So cost 200€ more than Sony, is worth the money? Or the image quality and sharpiness is better on Sony because of their XR chip?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sony X90K priced at 1599€ and QN90B with bonus at 1799€. So cost 200€ more than Sony, is worth the money? Or the image quality and sharpiness is better on Sony because of their XR chip?
I would wait for more reviews from trusted outlets/people before buying either. The Sony will likely have better motion handling. But if you're using it primarily for games, I'd wait and see how each set handles those (dimming, VRR etc).

I have the QN94A and it's amazing but new sets always have quirks and bugs.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

I would wait further on reviews of each. There's plenty of impressions out there for the 90B on YouTube but we are still waiting on reviews from the big outlets like Rtings, CNET, HDTVTest, etc.

For the 90K, I don't believe there's any real hands on impressions anywhere yet. The price looks good for it though for the 55".

Ziyi

Banned
Mar 24, 2022
Vincent made Rtings a thing of the past for me. Any of you guys still wait for their reviews?

Generally speaking for TVs; HDTVTest and FlatpanelsHD are reliable, technical and trustworthy.

For display monitors; TFTCentral and Hardware Unboxed are very technical and very reliable for their no-nonsense approach and objectivity. Rtings have somewhat fallen off a cliff in terms of the quality of their reviews lately (newer team perhaps?).

As of late, HDTVTest have also been shifting some of their attention toward display monitors as well so expect more coverage of this area in the near future.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Generally speaking for TVs; HDTVTest and FlatpanelsHD are reliable, technical and trustworthy.

For display monitors; TFTCentral and Hardware Unboxed are very technical and very reliable for their no-nonsense approach and objectivity. Rtings have somewhat fallen off a cliff in terms of the quality of their reviews lately (newer team perhaps?).

As of late, HDTVTest have also been shifting some of their attention toward display monitors as well so expect more coverage of this area in the near future.

I didn't know about those two. I am interested in getting the qd-oled monitor, which Vincent has already covered but getting more opinions on it is always a good thing.

Ziyi

Banned
Mar 24, 2022
I didn't know about those two. I am interested in getting the qd-oled monitor, which Vincent has already covered but getting more opinions on it is always a good thing.

Then I'd advise taking a moment of your time to visit Hardware Unboxed and watching the video review of the Alienware AW3423DW. Tim is very knowledgeable and highly experienced with display monitors. He also appears to be one of the rare few that gets in deep with the technical aspects of the product in addition to generally being occasionally overly-critical with the monitors he reviews.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
...generally being occasionally overly-critical with the monitors he reviews.
That's a good thing, IMO. It's nice to see reviews that actually nitpick and point out the flaws, rather than just being glorified advertising for the product.

That being said, if my current monitor dies, I'm all over that new QD-OLED screen.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

Yikes 🤣 the danger of being a TV knowledgeable when you are clearly wrong....I just knew these opinions would blow up in their faces! "Beyond reference" "LG C2 SDR looking crap vs S95b" irony being LG Oleds show true RGB output up to 350 nits or so, before white boosting. May not always agree with Vincent, but he is very thorough and makes rival YT TV guys, look pathetic frankly.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
That's a good thing, IMO. It's nice to see reviews that actually nitpick and point out the flaws, rather than just being glorified advertising for the product.

That being said, if my current monitor dies, I'm all over that new QD-OLED screen.
Might also be a good idea to wait until there are reviews of Samsung's own QD-OLED monitor. I'm personally very curious about the comparisons to the Alienware version.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Last year I passed on the 48" C1 and got myself a 55" QN90A as the main PC monitor and the daily driver. I didn't care much for the burn-in risk but some of the ABL/ABSL horror stories put me off the OLED. It feels like I made a mistake and I am not entirely happy with the Samsung. Many reasons for that: blooming, sharpness issues in the PC mode, backlight behaviour in Game mode, some truly esoteric brightness behaviors depending on the LD setting, the Auto/Native color space dilemma, raised blacks in Game mode, lack of DV, only a single 2.1 port, the stressful IPS/VA lottery, etc.

I also learned the hard way that playing in the windowed mode on Windows fucking sucks. Some games will factor in Windows scaling, some won't, some will behave unpredictably, some will output a blurry mess in the window. So while I absolutely didn't mind the 55" size of the TV, I loved it in fact, I do want to go to 42"-48" to be able to play Mouse+Keyboard stuff in fullscreen at my desk.

So long story short I am thinking about switching to the 42" C2. My primary worry is the ABL. Anyone willing to share some experiences about that with me? From what I read in /r/OLED_gaming it is often visible even in regular gaming content - Miles Morales is often used an example.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
www.techradar.com

Gamers are going to see a huge upgrade in Dolby Vision later this year

It’s all thanks to MediaTek’s upcoming Pentonic series chips

Is this actually happening in not flagship SKU? Please trickle down ASAP. Says later this year, but likely next year? Was waiting on TCL specs for 6 series.

Finally. I was really hoping this chipset would be out in time for the 2022 TVs, but I guess I'll wait until 2023 for the next iteration of QD-OLEDs + this new chip.

Ziyi

Banned
Mar 24, 2022
Last year I passed on the 48" C1 and got myself a 55" QN90A as the main PC monitor and the daily driver. I didn't care much for the burn-in risk but some of the ABL/ABSL horror stories put me off the OLED. It feels like I made a mistake and I am not entirely happy with the Samsung. Many reasons for that: blooming, sharpness issues in the PC mode, backlight behaviour in Game mode, some truly esoteric brightness behaviors depending on the LD setting, the Auto/Native color space dilemma, raised blacks in Game mode, lack of DV, only a single 2.1 port, the stressful IPS/VA lottery, etc.

I also learned the hard way that playing in the windowed mode on Windows fucking sucks. Some games will factor in Windows scaling, some won't, some will behave unpredictably, some will output a blurry mess in the window. So while I absolutely didn't mind the 55" size of the TV, I loved it in fact, I do want to go to 42"-48" to be able to play Mouse+Keyboard stuff in fullscreen at my desk.

So long story short I am thinking about switching to the 42" C2. My primary worry is the ABL. Anyone willing to share some experiences about that with me? From what I read in /r/OLED_gaming it is often visible even in regular gaming content - Miles Morales is often used an example.

Excessive and then some for PC usage unless you're sitting on a couch a few feet away. I'm not sure anyone sane would be using a TV of this size on a desk sitting less than a feet away for any PC tasks (PC gaming, productivity etc.). You'll be craning your neck and constantly moving your head due to the display filling your entire field of view. Highly uncomfortable and very impractical hence the reason why "monitors" are usually of 35 inches or less because you can actually get some work done in a practical manner.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Finally. I was really hoping this chipset would be out in time for the 2022 TVs, but I guess I'll wait until 2023 for the next iteration of QD-OLEDs + this new chip.

One thing they don't mention, is that chipset supports Dolby Vision IQ with Precision Detail. This is a feature LG C2-G2 supports as well, because of the a9 chipset.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Same lesson learned here, from the same story, just with a 55" Q85R.

I play everything I can in an ultrawide (3840x1440) borderless window. If only it worked properly, it'd be a 120hz freesync/gsync HDR ultrawide screen for less than half the price of an equivalent monitor around here.

I'm either jumping to a 42" C2 too, or going back to a regular monitor. I give up on windowed mode.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Excessive and then some for PC usage unless you're sitting on a couch a few feet away. I'm not sure anyone sane would be using a TV of this size on a desk sitting less than a feet away for any PC tasks (PC gaming, productivity etc.). You'll be craning your neck and constantly moving your head due to the display filling your entire field of view. Highly uncomfortable and very impractical hence the reason why "monitors" are usually of 35 inches or less because you can actually get some work done in a practical manner.

I have been using a 55" as a desk monitor for the last year now. The size is not an issue, the shitty windowed mode gaming in Windows is and it's making me shy away from this size. I basically used multiple smaller windows and had a huge screen estate plus for the controller games I could just push my chair a little bit back. Very versatile and good for productivity.

Same lesson learned here, from the same story, just with a 55" Q85R.

I play everything I can in an ultrawide (3840x1440) borderless window. If only it worked properly, it'd be a 120hz freesync/gsync HDR ultrawide screen for less than half the price of an equivalent monitor around here.

I'm either jumping to a 42" C2 too, or going back to a regular monitor. I give up on windowed mode.

Nice, it does seem like you went through the same learning process as I did, lol. I hope you'll be happy with whatever purchase you make next.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like abl isnt that big of a deal? It's absl that drives people nuts. It certainly drives me nuts. someone can tell me if I'm wrong there. unfortunately I'm not willing to turn that crap off because this tv sees so much use in my house from multiple people (i.e some logo heavy cable television)

I'd have all the dimming features turned off (that can be turned off) if not for all of that. including the logo dimming, which also gets on my nerves.

I kinda kinda regret getting the OLED for the main living room but not much I can do about that now.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

I haven't seen ABL that often in games honestly, I see it more often in Dolby Vision/HDR movies than I do in games. I do not have a PS5 though and Miles Morales to comment on that. For something like Lego Star Wars though, there are times when you travel that there's a bright white full screen and it'll dim that down and go away. I haven't seen it often enough that I can remember for things like explosion and whatnot but of course it's all content dependent. So you may see it often or hardly ever.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
I feel like abl isnt that big of a deal? It's absl that drives people nuts. It certainly drives me nuts. someone can tell me if I'm wrong there. unfortunately I'm not willing to turn that crap off because this tv sees so much use in my house from multiple people (i.e some logo heavy cable television)

I'd have all the dimming features turned off (that can be turned off) if not for all of that. including the logo dimming, which also gets on my nerves.

I kinda kinda regret getting the OLED for the main living room but not much I can do about that now.

Yeah, no way I am using the OLED as a monitor with the ABSL turned on, it sounds like a nightmare. Fortunately in my case I will be the only user but I definitely see it being an issue if you have multiple (reckless :P) users.

I haven't seen ABL that often in games honestly, I see it more often in Dolby Vision/HDR movies than I do in games. I do not have a PS5 though and Miles Morales to comment on that. For something like Lego Star Wars though, there are times when you travel that there's a bright white full screen and it'll dim that down and go away. I haven't seen it often enough that I can remember for things like explosion and whatnot but of course it's all content dependent. So you may see it often or hardly ever.

I know it's a super subjective thing to ask but do you find it distracting?