Mandelbrot

Sep 16, 2019
- regarding upgrades, I have been trying to be as thorough as possible and haven't come across any in awhile. I'm at something like 6 hp, 5 attack 5 defense 4 mp 5 so (?)

- regarding the Golden Doors, there's the one at the top left of the map. It is intact and the path is pretty simple but I wasn't able to open or get anything I think.

- You cannot reach the stats in the hidden save file in one playthrough, only in new game +. The max stats for a single playthrough are 5 ATK / 5 DEF / 4 POT / 7 HP / 3 SP / 4 MP / 9 Potions

- What you mention is a golden slab/tablet, NOT a door. You use the HC to get an item in front of it. It does not open. The one in the forest does the same, it's a broken slab that gives you an item, but does not open.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
- You cannot reach the stats in the hidden save file in one playthrough, only in new game +. The max stats for a single playthrough are 5 ATK / 5 DEF / 4 POT / 7 HP / 3 SP / 4 MP / 9 Potions

- What you mention is a golden slab/tablet, NOT a door. You use the HC to get an item in front of it. It does not open. The one in the forest does the same, it's a broken slab that gives you an item, but does not open.

Very helpful. Thanks again. Still not sure I successfully "activated" the slab / tablet in the north west-most part of the overworld. The intact one? The sequence should be pretty cut-and-dry no? Any way to know if I activated it?

Last edited:

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
BoxSetMock-up_540x.jpg

Cross posting from the VG vinyl thread, but limited time preorders are open here for the soundtrack on vinyl:

www.mangomagerecords.com

Mango Mage Records

Mango Mage Records is an independent vinyl record label that specializes in VGM and VGM cover albums. Our focus is on delivering high-quality products that music lovers will cherish. Explore our collection of unique and expertly crafted vinyl records and experience the magic of video game music...

$119.99 for a 4LP set

Mandelbrot

Sep 16, 2019
Very helpful. Thanks again. Still not sure I successfully "activated" the slab / tablet in the north west-most part of the overworld. The intact one? The sequence should be pretty cut-and-dry no? Any way to know if I activated it?
You mentioned that you already have the manual page found by doing that, and that is all you get from it.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
You mentioned that you already have the manual page found by doing that, and that is all you get from it.
Ah ok. Understood.

On a slightly unrelated note, I can't wait to watch the NoClip developper videos on this game. It's filled with spoilers though so I have a bit of work to do beforehand. But the work that went into all the layers is pretty astounding. Gonna be neat to hear about the process

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
I am stuck at a rather annoying combat section later in the game:

It's the gauntlet of enemies you have to fight under the Cathedral. I am mostly annoyed that it seems I have to complete this in my spirit form? Can someone just tell me if it's possible to change back into "alive" form for this fight? It's really aggravating to have such a challenging combat section where all your stat modifiers have been removed. Why did I spend the whole game leveling up?? XD

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

It's the gauntlet of enemies you have to fight under the Cathedral. I am mostly annoyed that it seems I have to complete this in my spirit form? Can someone just tell me if it's possible to change back into "alive" form for this fight? It's really aggravating to have such a challenging combat section where all your stat modifiers have been removed. Why did I spend the whole game leveling up?? XD
where you can chose the order you fight them?

You have to do it like this.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK

If you find yourself getting overly frustrated, remember that there's no penalty to enabling "no fail mode", which you can do just temporarily here. Don't let this section sour your overall enjoyment of the game.

Shane86

Dec 24, 2019

I quit at this point as well. Ridiculous difficulty spike.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017

Yeah, that's when I just turned on No Fail and ignored combat for the rest of the game. I had a much better time.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the Cathedral and figured out a few of the weird
D-pad
secrets. What a great game. I'm planning to play Death's Door after this so I'll be interested to see how it stacks up.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
Near what i think is the end of the game, really enjoying it

Out of curiosity, do you unlock a "translated" version of the game? I want to understand all the NPC dialogue

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game this morning. Really great experience. I never found the combat too hard as long as you used all your items and tools. Some of them are very OP, depending on the enemy/boss. Not sure if I'll try to get all the secrets or not. I spoiled myself on a few of them. The fairy flower puzzles in particular seem very hard to figure out on your own.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It wasn't that difficult once you take the time to learn each boss. There are only so many skeletons that spawn for that one boss, etc., so practice any same one a few times until you get better at just that one boss, then start with a different one for another few tries until you understand that one.

Repeat this with each boss and it's easier than initially thought. Doesn't take long to get each down when focusing on one at a time instead of just sticking to the same order and figuring out the other bosses later in your runs, if that makes sense.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Having picked this up this week, I've got to the red key and I gotta say, I'm really pissed off that I spent money on this.

It has one of the worst combat systems I've ever come across, environment and enemy design I feel I've seen in a million games, and a really dull gimmick in hiding gameplay mechanics, for absolutely zero reason. I knew the yellow squares would be fast travel, why do I have to play through half the game to know that for whatever reason they only activate after holding X for 3 seconds.

It's like the video game equivalent of being lost in a foreign country, where you don't speak the language and intermittently have to wrestle a farm animal. I honestly can't believe this game gets away with playing as poorly as it does in 2022.

Maybe it's get better in the second half? I dunno maybe someone can help me understand what I'm missing.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Many things that are frustrating you are precisely part of the allure and charm of this game's structure. Personally I was beginning to understand the game and it's design language/rules after not too long and felt motivated to discover, sometimes independently. All that said it's not for everyone.

I don't get the gripes with combat, honestly. The tactile element and the weight/physics of things plays in to the risk reward push pull of committing to animations so well

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
Having picked this up this week, I've got to the red key and I gotta say, I'm really pissed off that I spent money on this.

It has one of the worst combat systems I've ever come across, environment and enemy design I feel I've seen in a million games, and a really dull gimmick in hiding gameplay mechanics, for absolutely zero reason. I knew the yellow squares would be fast travel, why do I have to play through half the game to know that for whatever reason they only activate after holding X for 3 seconds.

It's like the video game equivalent of being lost in a foreign country, where you don't speak the language and intermittently have to wrestle a farm animal. I honestly can't believe this game gets away with playing as poorly as it does in 2022.

Maybe it's get better in the second half? I dunno maybe someone can help me understand what I'm missing.

It sounds like the game is not for you, and that's fine of course.
The feeling of being lost in a foreign country is exactly what the developers were aiming for.

Going forward you'll probably get even more pissed. My suggestion is to just stop wasting your time on something you're not enjoying (and maybe try to get a refund if you can?).

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
It sounds like the game is not for you, and that's fine of course.
The feeling of being lost in a foreign country is exactly what the developers were aiming for.

Going forward you'll probably get even more pissed. My suggestion is to just stop wasting your time on something you're not enjoying (and maybe try to get a refund if you can?).
Yeah I get that it was the intention, but it feels so inorganically implemented. I've heard that it makes more natural use of the world's mysterys later on which is intriguing, but I really just can't deal with the combat, which is the majority of the game. I think this would have worked FAR better as a pure puzzler.

Unfortunately it was a PS5 purchase so probably don't wanna deal with PS Customer Service. Will likely turn on the accessibility options for the combat and blast through the second half.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
what was wrong with the combat?

for stuff like finding out how fast travel works: the manuel being incomplete is a huge part of the game.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I get that it was the intention, but it feels so inorganically implemented. I've heard that it makes more natural use of the world's mysterys later on which is intriguing, but I really just can't deal with the combat, which is the majority of the game. I think this would have worked FAR better as a pure puzzler.

Unfortunately it was a PS5 purchase so probably don't wanna deal with PS Customer Service. Will likely turn on the accessibility options for the combat and blast through the second half.
I didn't hate the combat as much as you, but can't you just turn on cheats where combat's not a problem and you can play it like a "pure puzzler?"

If you're not enjoying it solely becasue of the combat, it's an idea.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
I just finished the game last night with the good ending and loved it. Slowly revealing the manual was such a cool idea, and the Golden Path puzzle was just fantastic. I felt that the game does a great job of breadcrumbing you throughout. I didn't look up any guides at all and am now going for the treasures.

what was wrong with the combat?
The combat was my least favorite part of the game. Off the top of my head, the sword range is very poor leading to whiffs on your first hit or second hit of your combo. There's a huge delay between when you've swung your sword and when you're able to roll again, making group combat pretty awful at the start. I'm not a fan of big windup moves locking on to you right up until the second they end. You get better tools as the game goes on, but the start to middle can be rough with combat. It's the single biggest complaint I've seen from everyone who bounced off the game. I'm not a huge fan of Souls combat and this is like a miniature version of it that keeps all the parts I don't like.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I've slowly been chipping away at this in between sessions of other stuff. Tonight I…

Encountered The Heir and got my ass kicked. Then I found myself in a weird spirit form and made my way to some cathedral and fought some arena battle with a bunch of candles in front of enemy statues that summoned waves of 'em. Got through all that and ended up warping to a place with a statue of "the hero" and got one of my meters back to full.

Are the other teleport points elsewhere on the map (not in the old burial site)?

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I've slowly been chipping away at this in between sessions of other stuff. Tonight I…

Encountered The Heir and got my ass kicked. Then I found myself in a weird spirit form and made my way to some cathedral and fought some arena battle with a bunch of candles in front of enemy statues that summoned waves of 'em. Got through all that and ended up warping to a place with a statue of "the hero" and got one of my meters back to full.

Are the other teleport points elsewhere on the map (not in the old burial site)?
Check the manual.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
How is the PS4 performance of this game vs Switch? Our PS5 is pretty tied up with my wife most nights right now and I am trying to decide what version of this I should give a spin.

I know the Switch version is a little blurry and 30 fps. What about the PS4 version? Similar?

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I've collected all 3 keys. I guess I shouldn't be surprised my reward is an achievement that says "now what"

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I recently picked this up on Gamepass and I'm absolutely floored how wonderful it is.

It's cute and charming, but has a surprising degree of depth and the puzzles are wonderfully designed.

Turning into my sleeper GOTY for 2022.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
I'm playing it now, I thought I was playing link to the past with a twist but I'm actually playing The Witness

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Just got the true ending.
14 fairies, 5 trophies, 14 hour play time.
The save game shenaningans got me good.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Just completed the game. I might have to edit my GOTY list and switch Tunic and Elden Ring (#2 and #1 respectively)

Minimal guide usage got stumped twice, did the whole big puzzle and must have wrote a direction down wrong. I got the assignment just made a mistake. Felt so gratifying and the manual gimmick is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced in a video game.

Amazing game. I feel the combat definitely could have used some additional moves, but you're definitely meant to use bombs/magic as liberally as possible. Not to difficult for me, I know a lot of people thought the game was too hard.

Searched to find this thread, came across a Tunic vs Death's Door thread that made me repulse. Both games I've enjoyed immensely, besides it not being someone's taste I was surprised to see how many people actively dislike one or the other or both.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Just completed the game. I might have to edit my GOTY list and switch Tunic and Elden Ring (#2 and #1 respectively)

Minimal guide usage got stumped twice, did the whole big puzzle and must have wrote a direction down wrong. I got the assignment just made a mistake. Felt so gratifying and the manual gimmick is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced in a video game.

Amazing game. I feel the combat definitely could have used some additional moves, but you're definitely meant to use bombs/magic as liberally as possible. Not to difficult for me, I know a lot of people thought the game was too hard.

Searched to find this thread, came across a Tunic vs Death's Door thread that made me repulse. Both games I've enjoyed immensely, besides it not being someone's taste I was surprised to see how many people actively dislike one or the other or both.
it's a fair surface level comparison, both being top down Zelda ish games with some amount of inspiration from souls. deaths door definitely makes a really strong early impression with well tuned combat and really cool boss set-pieces, where as tunic is more of a slow burner. I was really burned by the post game of deaths door the (seed hunt was really tedious and there was basically no reward), while Tunics 'post game' is where it really shines. I loved both games too, but tunics strong emphasis on the puzzles and discovery made it an experience that I'd long to re experience again fresh.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful anyone has anything they can respond to me with but I'll try anyway.

I'm coming back to Tunic after 9 months and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or things I should watch out for while getting back into the game?

I put it down originally because I was having such a good time with al the secrets I felt it would ruin Death's Door if I had to play the latter after. So I stopped at the beginning of a dungeon and started Death's Door but then other stuff and health problems caused me to have to pause that as well.

I picked Death's Door back up a week ago and just 100% it. Great game with the right level of scope. I actually remembered pretty much everything. Likewise with Tunic I also feel I remember the vast majority of what I did and where I was. But of course with all the hidden mechanics and areas the chance to forget something you learned before is much higher.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of things I should definitely watch out for that I may have forgotten?

I had just entered that Frog dungeon in the right end corner of the map. I had already unlocked all the lasers in that beach area and opened an entrance to the library (?) but I think I needed a hookshot (?). I had actually reached the boss of the forest area that went underground with all those monks (?) But teleported out instead of beating it. I also got I think the ice spell from the flooded area to the left corner. Also I've unlocked the gate to the mines up north with the poison and laser. Also I spoiled myself that using the coins on the wells can upgrade those badges of which I have I think at least 6.

I remember much more than that but hopefully that gives you an idea of where I am in the game.

Doubt anyone can offer any help for my specific situation of coming back to the game but thanks for any responses.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020

I'm coming back to Tunic after 9 months and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or things I should watch out for while getting back into the game?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of things I should definitely watch out for that I may have forgotten?
Things you'll have forgotten is stuff like "oh yeah with this new ability I can reach that chest I saw earlier." Not much to do about that.
I think you can just follow whatever seems like the most obvious path for the first half of the game. It's only in the 2nd half stuff gets really intricate. Just keep checking the manual, especially when you reach the 2nd half.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

I remember much more than that but hopefully that gives you an idea of where I am in the game.

Doubt anyone can offer any help for my specific situation of coming back to the game but thanks for any responses.

The manual is your friend here, read back through whichever pages you've already collected and that should tell you vaguely what you should know.

You're going to have to do a lot of backtracking and exploring of areas anyway, so I would just let the game jog your memory as you play it.

For where you are in the game specifically, I'd suggest just following the critical path: Your goal is to collect the three coloured keys, one from each boss.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I just got and powered through this game in a week.

Fucking incredible stuff. I truly had no idea what to expect and this blew me away. Some of the most satisfying puzzle solving and mystery solving I've ever done in a game ever.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I am really enjoying this. I did have to look at a guide after I got the three jewels as I had no idea what I was supposed to do next. I just found the new area ... onward!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Started this last week.

Love:
+ The mystery
+ The instruction manual
+ The general gameplay loop of unlocking more manual and finding hidden functionality/things in plain sight

Dislike:
- The chests and items out of view of the camera. There are so many. How did they not realize that this is just going to train your players to hug every border while mashing A? It's not a fun play pattern at all. Have some design contraint.
- The controls. Why do I have to roll before I can run, even out of combat? There is very little leniency on the timing of doing the roll attack. Makes me feel like I'm putting extra processing power into execution where this really isn't the type of game that warrants it.

And while I'm enjoying the game, I'm not really gripped by whatever narrative there is. There's so much unknown that it's hard to invest in. I'm at past collecting the keys and now I'm in ghost form. How close am I to the end? And are there still any pivotal "aha" moments that recontextualize the game? I'm not looking for it to get good, but rather, some form of plot payoff.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I am pretty much done with Tunic at this point. Loved the game. While finishing up in ghost form I mistakenly fast travelled to the final boss. That got me the bad ending - but after the credits were finished I was given the option to continue as if this did not happen. This is awesome. I really enjoyed this game. Great get for Game Pass.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So all throughout 2022 I kept looking for a game that felt unique and special enough to be my goty. Think I may have finally found it a bit late with Tunic. I've only just rang the two bells, got my magic staff and discovered what you can do with the coins, but I love how exploration and the manual work together seamlessly to give you a constant flow of a-ha moments. The manual is such a smart way to guide you through the game without spoiling too much, it does feel pretty Witness-y indeed. Seeing as The Witness is one of my favorite modern games and I love Zelda, I feel right at home here.

I like this SO much better than the often praised Death's Door that came out last year, this game is such a more creative twist on the Zelda formula.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a notice that a patch got installed (PS4 version). tried googling to no avail, anyone knows if there are any significant changes?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
yoo wtf later game spoiler there are creatures in those obelisks?? that's so disturbing

edit: damn to beat the boss in this area I really had to do something funky with changing my health flasks to magic and spamming shotgun blasts, then praying I survive the last leg. Otherwise the fight just lasted too long. The bosses in this game are no joke

Last edited: