____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I guess I misunderstood what you were saying

I would like to point out that only one poster throughout the entire thread described the attack as "vicious". With regards to "unnecessary" that is a term of some significance in Swedish law for self defense, as one is only allowed to use as much force as necessary to get out of danger, while anything beyond that (i.e. unnecessary violence) would be considered a crime, and when the instigator was on the ground, he was indeed defenseless, which again matters from a legal point of view in Sweden
Fair enough.

Perhaps I should have maybe used the word "blameless" as thinking back, that is what I truly meant to express. The source of my ire was posters pretending that the only person in the wrong here is Rocky and no one placed any blame on the shit heads that refused to leave them alone in the first place, when Rocky and his team were quite clearly begging to be left alone.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
The detention time and the fact he's a 'flight' risk; what's he gonna do, not ever tour europe again?
I'd say it's very likely that he would leave Sweden asap. If A$AP Rocky thinks it is likely that he will be convicted why wouldn't he stay out of reach for Sweden for 10 years (the statute of limitations for aggravated assault)?

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Fair enough.

Perhaps I should have maybe used the word "blameless" as thinking back, that is what I truly meant to express. The source of my ire was posters pretending that the only person in the wrong here is Rocky and no one placed any blame on the shit heads that refused to leave them alone in the first place, when Rocky and his team were quite clearly begging to be left alone.
That's fair. There's been a case filed against the instigator by one of Rocky's bodyguards, so we'll see if he gets charged too

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Would you rather Kim had waited until 2020/2024 to help the people she's gotten out of jail that didn't deserve to be there/had harsh jail sentences? It's not like Trump and his supporters don't have "African American friends"/plenty of other excuses to cover up his discrimination anyway.

I would prefer she not take to Twitter to praise his commitment to justice reform

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Would you rather Kim had waited until 2020/2024 to help the people she's gotten out of jail that didn't deserve to be there/had harsh jail sentences? It's not like Trump and his supporters don't have "African American friends"/plenty of other excuses to cover up his discrimination anyway.
Kim has been able to channel the special relationship that she's formed with White Supremacists into accomplishing good for a few very fortunate people. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't look past the irreparable harm her partners are causing to millions while she chooses to stay silent to maintain that relationship. I'm sure that she, probably you and maybe many others think that trade is worth it but I can't reconcile legitimatizing someone like Trump as an ally to justice and prison reform while at the same time kids are sitting in cages.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
They barely went too far, that fucking dipshit following them needed an ass whooping and Rocky pulled out all the stops trying to deescalate it from happening.

A prosecutor worth anything would know it would be a waste of public resources when examining the video available online.
"they barely went too far" 🤔🤔🤔

Yeah let's be an apologist for assault lmao

The instigator was a dipshit but asap did assault the guy

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
"they barely went too far" 🤔🤔🤔

Yeah let's be an apologist for assault lmao

The instigator was a dipshit but asap did assault the guy

The instigator assaulted the body guard and they defended themselves. I don't see what there to be apologist about. Don't start shit if you only weigh 90lbs soakin wet.
😉

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We are really living a a dystopian nightmare. What a world.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The instigator assaulted the body guard and they defended themselves. I don't see what there to be apologist about. Don't start shit if you only weigh 90lbs soakin wet.
😉
I'm not apologizing for assault, the kid started a fight and they ended it. Ever been outside and witnessed real cause and effect?

Like said before in most of EU self-defense turns into assault if you keep attacking original aggressor after aggressor has been made passive non-threat. Kicking shit out of him while he was on the ground in this case does make it assault in SWE and most of EU.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
Like said before in most of EU self-defense turns into assault if you keep attacking original aggressor after aggressor has been made passive non-threat. Kicking shit out of him while he was on the ground in this case does make it assault in SWE and most of EU.
I get that but still. I don't see what they did as any worse than what the guy was doing. The fact that he got the worst end of it doesn't change that.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I get that but still. I don't see what they did as any worse than what the guy was doing. The fact that he got the worst end of it doesn't change that.
It doesn't really matter. Being victim of a crime doesn't allow you to commit a crime. That someone had it coming is a poor defense.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I'm not apologizing for assault, the kid started a fight and they ended it. Ever been outside and witnessed real cause and effect?
Not how our laws work here in Sweden, you don't get to play Rambo no matter what. They were a larger group and could have deescalated the situation but instead threw Jackass onto the ground before curbstomping him. Here, that's assault. Maybe even aggravated assault.
Like the one time I can recall excessive force was allowed was when a dad summarily executed a kid who was part of a gang that bullied his child and who arrived in the middle of the night armed with clubs to harass the family. He shot one of the harassers, then shot again as the attacker was tryign to escape. He wasn't convicted. (That case in itself was fairly bad as a lot of people righlty pointed out according to the law it was excessive force but at the same time there was a very real fear for the personal life and safety of the family)

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
It doesn't really matter. Being victim of a crime doesn't allow you to commit a crime. That someone had it coming is a poor defense.
When the "crime" is whooping somebody who was following, harassing and throwing shit at you then I don't know that it needs much defense.

I hope you don't think that shit will fly outside of the EU.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
When the "crime" is whooping somebody who was following, harassing and throwing shit at you then I don't know that it needs much defense.

I'm not really sure what shit it is I'm supposed to think will fly? Also I was not arguing from a moral perspective but from a Swedish legal one. It is pretty obvious that Swedish laws apply in Sweden and not elsewhere. It also should be obvious that American laws are irrelevant to this case.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
"talented Prime Minister"
When Trump clearly doesn't know, doesn't care to look up or really give a shit what the person is actually called (and he'd probably not be able to say the name anyway with his limited language).

From what I've seen of the whole case, Rocky was assaulted by a pair of drunkards and did engage in self-defense, however said self-defense went waaaaaaay overboard when you saw them (4 men) beating the living shit out of the man laying on the ground. That went from defense to retaliatory assault.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
"talented Prime Minister"
When Trump clearly doesn't know, doesn't care to look up or really give a shit what the person is actually called (and he'd probably not be able to say the name anyway with his limited language).

From what I've seen of the whole case, Rocky was assaulted by a pair of drunkards and did engage in self-defense, however said self-defense went waaaaaaay overboard when you saw them (4 men) beating the living shit out of the man laying on the ground. That went from defense to retaliatory assault.
How bad would the penalty be if he just pleads guilty?

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Not how our laws work here in Sweden, you don't get to play Rambo no matter what. They were a larger group and could have deescalated the situation but instead threw Jackass onto the ground before curbstomping him. Here, that's assault. Maybe even aggravated assault.
Like the one time I can recall excessive force was allowed was when a dad summarily executed a kid who was part of a gang that bullied his child and who arrived in the middle of the night armed with clubs to harass the family. He shot one of the harassers, then shot again as the attacker was tryign to escape. He wasn't convicted. (That case in itself was fairly bad as a lot of people righlty pointed out according to the law it was excessive force but at the same time there was a very real fear for the personal life and safety of the family)
It's clearly a shit application of the law. Can we confirm if that street punk is being detained like Rocky has been? There's copious amounts of recorded evidence that the person harassed and assaulted Rocky and crew. What they did amounts to self defense, not their fault the punk's coward ass friend turned tail and ran making it 2 on 1.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
It's clearly a shit application of the law. Can we confirm if that street punk is being detained like Rocky has been? There's copious amounts of recorded evidence that the person harassed and assaulted Rocky and crew. What they did amounts to self defense, not their fault the punk's coward ass friend turned tail and ran making it 2 on 1.
Maybe in the US. This is Sweden/Europe.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
How bad would the penalty be if he just pleads guilty?
Don't know I'm sorry to say, but I can't see the judges being that lenient on them even in the context when they see that footage, to any observer that just looks violent as hell. Depending on if or if not the man they beat got damages, I am reading that it can vary between 6 months of jail up to 2 years?

Honestly, had they just thrown the man on the ground and told him to stay there or restrained him, this probably would not have been the case as it is now.

I am not in the law enforcement though or a legal expert so don't take my word for it. Just saying from a sort of Swedish point of view.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's surreal to see so many americans just assume laws are the same as in the US everywhere else. I think most people would agree that the guys harassing Rocky were out of order but factually, what Rocky did to defend himself was way past self defense, and there even exists video proof. The prosecution really don't have a lot of options here.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know I'm sorry to say, but I can't see the judges being that lenient on them even in the context when they see that footage, to any observer that just looks violent as hell. Depending on if or if not the man they beat got damages, I am reading that it can vary between 6 months of jail up to 2 years?
From what little I know the fact that they kept kicking him when he was already on the ground makes it pretty hard for him to simply get away with a fine I guess.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
It's surreal to see so many americans just assume laws are the same as in the US everywhere else. I think most people would agree that the guys harassing Rocky were out of order but factually, what Rocky did to defend himself was way past self defense, and there even exists video proof. The prosecution really don't have a lot of options here.
I'm in Canada and I'd be ashamed of the prosecutor that views that tape and decides to pursue legal action against Rocky. They did text book deescalation steps and continuously created distance with the assailant. They better also be pursuing the street kid on the same or more serious charges.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in Canada and I'd be ashamed of the prosecutor that views that tape and decides to pursue legal action against Rocky. They did text book deescalation steps and continuously created distance with the assailant. They better also be pursuing the street kid on the same or more serious charges.
I agree Rocky and his team handled it well until they decided to assault a person who was down on the ground. Once you step over the line it doesn't really matter.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

Honestly, had they just thrown the man on the ground and told him to stay there or restrained him, this probably would not have been the case as it is now.

I am not in the law enforcement though or a legal expert so don't take my word for it. Just saying from a sort of Swedish point of view.
Sounds rough. It's really dangerous to travel internationally without understanding the laws in whatever country you're visiting, they probably thought they were in the right to retaliate since the other guy started it.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the kid is going to be charged too from what i'm reading, but while the exact charge hasn't been determined yet, it will be a lesser one. which is reasonable. even though he was being very annoying, he didn't use much force to speak of at all. the severity of an assault charge in sweden is determined by how much force you're using

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I'd say it's very likely that he would leave Sweden asap. If A$AP Rocky thinks it is likely that he will be convicted why wouldn't he stay out of reach for Sweden for 10 years (the statute of limitations for aggravated assault)?

As insane as I think this entire thing is, Sweden's not going to give him ten years for the equivalent of a bar brawl. That's strictly US territory, lol.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017

it's a bit fucked that certain folks think america's "sense of justice" is worth defending, let alone replicating. this country is toxic as hell.

I can't say I'd be okay with any sort of prison sentence though, thats not gonna do anyone any good.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Shocking, Trump talked out of his ass. Again.

"Just had a very good call with @SwedishPM Stefan Löfven who assured me that American citizen A$AP Rocky will be treated fairly. Likewise, I assured him that A$AP was not a flight risk and offered to personally vouch for his bail, or an alternative," Trump tweeted Saturday.

Trump said the two teams agreed to speak again in the next 48 hours, but Lofven's spokesman Toni Eriksson said Saturday, "It is possible that there will be follow up calls but right now there is not one scheduled or planned."

Eriksson said the prime minister told Trump in the about 20-minute call Saturday that his government "neither can nor will" try to influence the judicial process with respect to A$AP Rocky's case.

"The Prime Minister made sure to point out that the Swedish judicial system, prosecutors and courts, are completely independent," Eriksson, who described the call as "friendly and respectful," said. "He also pointed out that everyone is equal before the law and that the government neither can nor will try to influence the judicial process.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Sounds rough. It's really dangerous to travel internationally without understanding the laws in whatever country you're visiting, they probably thought they were in the right to retaliate since the other guy started it.
Yeah, the whole "stand your ground" thing about self-defense is not viewed the same here. It's okay to defend yourself, nobody argues with that at all, but to go suddenly on the offensive against your attacker instead of just disengaging when possible and call the authorities is frowned upon.
"The Prime Minister made sure to point out that the Swedish judicial system, prosecutors and courts, are completely independent," Eriksson, who described the call as "friendly and respectful," said. "He also pointed out that everyone is equal before the law and that the government neither can nor will try to influence the judicial process."
That must absolutely baffle Trump who's so used to be able to pardon the worst of the worst the American country got.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Yeah, the whole "stand your ground" thing about self-defense is not viewed the same here. It's okay to defend yourself, nobody argues with that at all, but to go suddenly on the offensive against your attacker instead of just disengaging when possible and call the authorities is frowned upon.
it's not so much stand your ground as it is that US law gives some leeway for loosing your mind a bit in the heat of passion. We actually had a case somewhat similar to this where I lived where a man was jumped by a group of other guys and he beat one of them to death. The charges were eventually dropped against him iirc.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
wtf??? i love trump now???

That's a weird thing to take away from this? The guy was literally filmed breaking swedish law, and you think Trump trying to put pressure on our justice system on behalf of his millionaire celebrity friends is a good thing?

It doesn't have to. It happened here.

I get that there are cultural factors at play here, but I'm honestly a bit weirded out by this. Is it seriously totally accepted to give someone a beating in the US when they obviously don't pose a threat anymore? Everybody is obviously onbord with the fact that this started as self defense, but it did turn into something completely else by the end of it. Wouldn't people at least raise an eyebrow about something like this?

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer she not take to Twitter to praise his commitment to justice reform

No issues with that criticism, but I doubt that's what Greg NYC3 was saying "fuck Kim Kardashian" for.

Kim has been able to channel the special relationship that she's formed with White Supremacists into accomplishing good for a few very fortunate people. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't look past the irreparable harm her partners are causing to millions while she chooses to stay silent to maintain that relationship. I'm sure that she, probably you and maybe many others think that trade is worth it but I can't reconcile legitimatizing someone like Trump as an ally to justice and prison reform while at the same time kids are sitting in cages.

Not criticizing you for critizing Trump, vs the general sentiment of "Fuck Kim Kardashian" you and others online have for Kim giving Trump "political points" by helping people get out of jail. You can go at Trump while also acknowledging she is doing something good with her celebrity status.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
That's a weird thing to take away from this? The guy was literally filmed breaking swedish law, and you think Trump trying to put pressure on our justice system on behalf of his millionaire celebrity friends is a good thing?

It doesn't have to. It happened here.

I get that there are cultural factors at play here, but I'm honestly a bit weirded out by this. Is it seriously totally accepted to give someone a beating in the US when they obviously don't pose a threat anymore? Everybody is obviously onbord with the fact that this started as self defense, but it did turn into something completely else by the end of it. Wouldn't people at least raise an eyebrow about something like this?
Im sorry but it looked pretty light? He was on the ground and they gave him a few more shots but it was far from the worst you could do to someone on their back. The guy showed that he wouldn't stop approaching them regardless of the dozen warnings he received. Sometimes you get exactly what you're bargaining for. Nothing weird about it other than the weirdo who kept approaching them.

In contrast to say what 69's people did to this guy it was mercy. And I've seen far worse than this.

It was not a whopping he bloody kicked a person laying down.

He's lucky thats all that happened to him.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Im sorry but it looked pretty light? He was on the ground and they gave him a few more shots but it was far from the worst you could do to someone on their back. The guy showed that he wouldn't stop approaching them regardless of the dozen warnings he received. Sometimes you get exactly what you're bargaining for. Nothing weird about it other than the weirdo who kept approaching them.

In contrast to say 69's people did to this guy it was mercy. And I've seen far worse than this.

He's lucky thats all that happened to him.

If he did more he would most likely get a prison sentence.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

That must absolutely baffle Trump who's so used to be able to pardon the worst of the worst the American country got.

A system of checks and balances functioning as it should. Wonder what that's like...

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Kim really coming out here talking about justice reform?! What the fucking fuck?!

Unbelievable that anyone would label this as some kind of commitment to justice reform.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
No issues with that criticism, but I doubt that's what Greg NYC3 was saying "fuck Kim Kardashian" for.

Not criticizing you for critizing Trump, vs the general sentiment of "Fuck Kim Kardashian" you and others online have for Kim giving Trump "political points" by helping people get out of jail. You can go at Trump while also acknowledging she is doing something good with her celebrity status.
Usually I wouldn't give celebrities grief for stuff like this, she's not inclined to do anything if she doesn't want to so doing something with her fame is generally a positive. My attitude isn't directed just at her which is why I said "Kardashians" plural because between her, Kanye, Caitlyn, etc. what we have is an entire family that seems to put their celebrity profile before the public good. I can't completely give her the benefit of the doubt that she really cares about justice reform and not just making herself a celebrity hero when she's so silent on ever other issue regarding justice and her cohorts in this venture are doing everything in their power to turn this country into a place where folks who look like her aren't welcome while she gives them shoutouts on Twitter.

Congrats to everyone who benefited though I guess.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
Black people that are global superstars took a beating? When?

Superstars? Why on earth would that even matter?

What about black citizens?

Beaten unconscious as they made monkey noises. Refused treatment at a hospital. Only offered support from the British government of which he was a citizen and the Bulgarian government where it happened after the story goes viral.

Please. Fuck that guy. If you're black and in these super white majority areas then you should protect yourself by any means necessary if someone tries you because nobody gives a fuck about you.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Beaten unconscious as they made monkey noises. Refused treatment at a hospital. Only offered support from the British government of which he was a citizen and the Bulgarian government where it happened after the story goes viral.

Please. Fuck that guy. If you're black and in these super white majority areas then you should protect yourself by any means necessary if someone tries you because nobody gives a fuck about you.
It matters because you questioned if the "energy was kept the same" for beatings of black people in other countries in Europe compared to ASAP. The very obvious difference between these cases is that ASAP is a global superstar and will therefore draw more attention and energy. The comparison is completely moot.

Furthermore, stop lumping EU countries together. Understand that Sweden is not the same country as Great Britain. Just like you should not talk of African culture or African people as a homogenous group the same should not be done of Europeans or European countries.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

that is a horrible story. but I don't see how it has any relevance in this case? bulgaria is miles apart culturally from scandinavia.

this may surprise you (my understanding is that many americans are not great at geography) but europe is, in fact, not one single country. this is like someone posting a story from alabama while trying to make a point about NYC

that said, racist violence does happen in sweden as well, and it fucking sucks. but unlike the bulgarian story you linked here, the authorities take it seriously, and would absolutely have charged 3 white men ganging up on one black man lying defenseless on the ground, even if the black man had instigated

Last edited: