tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The issue is that he ignored those concerns when he decided to release the Nunes memo. He then went about grandstanding about how they (he) caught the Dems red-handed in making up everything about the Russian investigation and that everything was a hoax, despite the fact that the memo didn't say any of that. It just suggested that the Dems may have been less than forthcoming about how they applied for FISA warrants and continued pushing the narrative that the Dems fully funded the Steele Dossier so that also can't be credible.

So security concerns aren't important for a memo he THINKS (and I emphasize thinks because remember, he didn't actually read the memo) absolves him of any wrong-doing meanwhile he claims to suddenly have grave concerns about security threats when the counter-memo is on his desk.

He lost his benefit of the doubt on this particular issue weeks ago.

On one hand, you are 100% right about Trump. But Wray and the DoJ are the ones voicing concern here, not just Trump.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the talking point the orange twat is going with.

First, while it's incredibly obvious that Trump didn't write this, I can certainly believe Trump thinking this. It's the exact kind of conspiratorial mind-game bullshit that the alt-right high-schoolers and college kids that propped him up would believe in.

Second, the fact that said conspiratorial mind-game bullshit has become so normalized that an entire political party thrives on it is quite depressing to see. Just a couple years ago I'd have been laughed out of the room for saying something this childish, and now we got people my parents and grandparents' ages openly living their lives like this.

Yeah, it's been brewing for at least a decade (most likely longer), but to see it in its fruition is....maddening.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys -- the FBI did not voice security concerns about the Nunes memo once they actually read it. Their statement, in its entirety, was:

That's a significant difference from the statement they signed regarding the Democrat memo saying they "identified portions of the Democratic memo that would raise national security or law enforcement concerns if released publicly."

This makes sense; the Nunes memo didn't actually say anything we didn't already know. To refute it, the Dem memo most likely indicates other information used on the application (to prove the dossier wasn't the sole/main piece of evidence), which presumably has not all been disclosed to this point, and which likely refers to contacts between him and other targets obtained via other surveillance etc.

Like it or not, this is legitimate.

This. Hopefully it gets the redactions it needs to satisfy the FBI and DoJ and can be released.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Guys -- the FBI did not voice security concerns about the Nunes memo once they actually read it. Their statement, in its entirety, was:

That's a significant difference from the statement they signed regarding the Democrat memo saying they "identified portions of the Democratic memo that would raise national security or law enforcement concerns if released publicly."

This makes sense; the Nunes memo didn't actually say anything we didn't already know. To refute it, the Dem memo most likely indicates other information used on the application (to prove the dossier wasn't the sole/main piece of evidence), which presumably has not all been disclosed to this point, and which likely refers to contacts between him and other targets obtained via other surveillance etc.

I stand corrected, thanks for digging that up. Still have zero trust in the White House and Justice Dept to play this straight if even a redacted version turns up the heat and legitimizes the FISA warrant.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017

That is reasonable, but what is also reasonable is an accounting to the public for the thought process of how the President makes his decisions on the release of these materials. He disregarded the FBI/DoJ's grave concerns for release of the Nunes memo (even before he read it, and even if it was for different concerns than what they ,apparently,have about the Schiff memo) and now, he uses the FBI/DoJ as a shield against the Schiff memo. Nunes,Trump, and Ryan all are on the record with "transparency", among other plattitudes. and they are going to have to be held to account for these words(among others), irrespective of the FBI/DoJ's own analysis.

So while one can understand with the DoJ/FBI's concerns , the ultimate decision rests with the president, and it is wholly appropriate to scrutinize the actual process that he used in making these decisions. And to that end,I think it's fair to compare and contrast of handling of these two memos as a part of that analysis.

KaladinSB

Oct 27, 2017
The big issue with the Nunes memo was that it omitted critical information so it could only be disproved using classified information. Not a surprise that this is where things ended up.

The Nunes memo was already torn apart so may as well let it go at this point. I mean the issue turned out to be Nunes not knowing what a footnote is.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
On one hand, you are 100% right about Trump. But Wray and the DoJ are the ones voicing concern here, not just Trump.

Problem is the buck stops at Trump. And selectively deciding when to follow recommendations of the FBI and DOJ based on what piece of information personally benefits him is at issue here.

In a perfect world, he wouldn't have released the Nunes Memo either due to those same security concerns. Since that's already been tossed aside, then for him there should be nothing stopping him from releasing said memo.

I appreciate you're applying logic here, but we're talking about an illogical individual who doesn't really care what people tell him if it's not going to somehow make him out to be a hero.

Usagi

Oct 25, 2017
"sent a very political and long response memo"

So they weren't kidding when they said he can't read.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Problem is the buck stops at Trump. And selectively deciding when to follow recommendations of the FBI and DOJ based on what piece of information personally benefits him is at issue here.

In a perfect world, he wouldn't have released the Nunes Memo either due to those same security concerns. Since that's already been tossed aside, then for him there should be nothing stopping him from releasing said memo.

I appreciate you're applying logic here, but we're talking about an illogical individual who doesn't really care what people tell him if it's not going to somehow make him out to be a hero.

I'm not trying to reason with an illogical person. I was trying to reason with *you*. You don't have to stoop to his level of willfully disregarding DoJ guidance on something just to serve political positions. That's Trump's game. We need not partake in that same approach. We can, instead, simply let the FBI redact the Dem memo as desired, then when the Dems make public the fact that the FBI has ok'd their memo, we can watch team Trump invent new circular rationales for hiding it from the public. No reason to relinquish the high ground here.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I'm not trying to reason with an illogical person. I was trying to reason with *you*. You don't have to stoop to his level of willfully disregarding DoJ guidance on something just to serve political positions. That's Trump's game. We need not partake in that same approach. We can, instead, simply let the FBI redact the Dem memo as desired, then when the Dems make public the fact that the FBI has ok'd their memo, we can watch team Trump invent new circular rationales for hiding it from the public. No reason to relinquish the high ground here.

I don't doubt that the DOJ and the FBI have very real concerns about the content of the memo and it would likely require redactions in order to protect certain sensitive information.

My frustration mainly lies in the fact that Trump first shows his hand by calling the memo "very political" and then falls back on the same agencies he's been vilifying as his reasoning for sending the memo back to the committee. I can't tell you I'd be able to stomach this better if he just squashed it outright and told people that it was due it being "unfair" to him or some variation thereof. It's insulting though to be told that his personal standard though has to deal with security risks when they were literally just ignored days ago.

So perhaps I haven't expressed myself properly to explain my view here. It's not "just release everything and damn the consequences or concerns of specific agencies" out of pettiness. My view is I'm tired of seeing the blatant nonsense this administration flaunts in the face of the American people, selling them a bag of shit and telling them it's roses.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't doubt that the DOJ and the FBI have very real concerns about the content of the memo and it would likely require redactions in order to protect certain sensitive information.

My frustration mainly lies in the fact that Trump first shows his hand by calling the memo "very political" and then falls back on the same agencies he's been vilifying as his reasoning for sending the memo back to the committee. I can't tell you I'd be able to stomach this better if he just squashed it outright and told people that it was due it being "unfair" to him or some variation thereof. It's insulting though to be told that his personal standard though has to deal with security risks when they were literally just ignored days ago.

So perhaps I haven't expressed myself properly to explain my view here. It's not "just release everything and damn the consequences or concerns of specific agencies" out of pettiness. My view is I'm tired of seeing the blatant nonsense this administration flaunts in the face of the American people, selling them a bag of shit and telling them it's roses.

Even still, reacting out of frustration is not the best counter position either. Believe me though, I get your frustration here. Though I am moreso frustrated with the American electorate than anyone else.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I hope when things are redacted its like a single sentence out of the entire thing just to reinforce what a hypocritical joke Trump and his shitty administration.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been 12 days since he rejected this thing...any news about this that I may have missed? Is it just taking this long to redact stuff?