Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Sweet Jesus. This interview shows him for the whiny bitch baby moron that he is

If he had a single intelligent bone in his body or anybody on staff who gave a shit, he'd never let this see the light of day

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch the 2nd half. But the first part was just the same questions they've been asking him that just allowed him to play his greatest hits.
Didn't say he won anything. But his strong personality certainly overshadowed it.
She needed to have the receipts to show he was lying. She seemed unprepared for his retorts and just let things go and went onto the next question.

You underestimate how this will play with her reaction shots edited in.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
You all act like this move wasn't entirely for his base
Of course it doesnt "work" on people like you
It's not for you
It's for them
It's not to change minds, it's to keep them from changing
It's what he does all day, every day, to keep them in line
Feeding them a steady diet of fearmongering and victim complex, constantly incited
So that they remain impervious to introspection, no matter how bad things look
Everything he says every day is solely for the purpose of throwing logs onto the fire
This is just another log for that fire
If you think it's not working then you're not the one this move was meant for

They are already slaves to whatever he says. He could do nothing and it would be the same for them. They will never have an introspection because that is who they are. Releasing this only gives Biden more ammo against him tonight and ant add going forward. Trying to spin this as a good move for his base is asinine cause Trump shitting in a bucket and then eating the shit would be a good move for them. Doesn't mean it would be a smart move for the people who aren't in his cult.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
Yeah I listened to half of this interview, and couldn't watch any more. No wonder he posted it. He completely steam rolled her. They should just stop doing interviews unless they get a reporter who can do the job.
Christ, talk about hot takes. She pushed back on him multiple times and all he did was his usual whine/talk over the reporter shtick.

Oct 25, 2017
They are already slaves to whatever he says. He could do nothing and it would be the same for them. They will never have an introspection because that is who they are. Releasing this only gives Biden more ammo against him tonight and ant add going forward. Trying to spin this as a good move for his base is asinine cause Trump shitting in a bucket and then eating the shit would be a good move for them. Doesn't mean it would be a smart move for the people who aren't in his cult.
It's absolutely great ammo for biden
nobody said it was smart
just that it's having the intended effect on those it was meant for
doesnt mean it wont come back to bite him in the ass too

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People want to pretend this shit doesnt work, but it does
people really are that gullible
The local trump supporter at work is absolutely fuming about the "hotjob" cbs attempted against dear leader
of course they havent even watched it, but the headline has already done its work
this is exactly what he wants by getting in front of this thing with his own narrative attached
he beat them to the "story" and his cultmembers continue to be shielded from reality
it's obviously not going to win him any new fans, but it helps him retain his base, it's not for you, it's for them
the point is not to change minds, it's to keep them from changing

In all honesty, I wonder if this strategy will work. We've got polls and all sure, but the ultimate decider of whether Trump's strategy was stupid or not is Election Day.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
The good news is that if he turns in a similar debate performance tonight, it won't help him one bit.

I know that our four year nightmare has inured us to this fact, but him giving this interview, set to air 9 days before the election, is absolutely fucking wild. Such ridiculous self-sabotage.

After tonight, there are no more pre-planned media events leading up to the election. This interview was his best remaining chance after the final debate to reach centrists and he so clearly blew it.

He's a narcissist who's never been good at self-editing and I think all the 2020 pressure is making him double-down on his worst impulses. Doesn't help that he can't seem to grasp the idea that most Americans aren't in his MAGA cult and are completely turned off by his persona.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yes that's how he controls the interviews. They need someone who can handle him better. That was my point.

Would you seriously call that 'in control'?

He dominated the 'speaking time', sure, but at no point did he sound calm/rational/well-thought-out in terms of what he was saying.

'Be loud any deny/what-about-ism everything' doesn't mean he came off well.

Deleted member 34169

Nov 23, 2017
Yes that's how he controls the interviews. They need someone who can handle him better. That was my point.
Have you seen an interview where the person wasn't lobbing him softballs or fawning over him that didn't devolve to this? I think there was one on HBO/Axios a while back. Also, any woman pushing back no matter what will get this treatment.
I mean he comes off horribly as usual and most people are going to come off with that impression. The only ones who will look at it as him "winning" are his supporters.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
What a pathetic man. Delusionally narcissistic that he thinks this will make him look good to anyone outside his core base.

I really hope Trump signed a contract and CBS sues him for breach.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
He steamrolled her in that he wouldn't answer her questions or let her ask questions and she didn't fight back at all.

What does fighting back look like? Honest question. I don't know if there is any way to interview someone like trump who just invents his own reality. You either fact check him and ask "tough" questions and he walks away like this. Or you let him him blabber and hang himself...which he will do as well. He isn't winning anything because nobody is being swayed at this point. You are either in that fake reality with him or you're intelligent enough to see him for what he is. That's the line.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The power in any interview always belongs to the person being interviewed, they can always refuse to continue the interview and walk away (especially someone as fragile as Trump, as we just saw in this very interview). What you're saying isn't really realistic, anyone who would have went harder on him would have just had an even shorter interview.

The best interviewers have to walk that line between pushing for more and not driving the person away.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is actually painful that someone this dumb is our president.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
You all act like this move wasn't entirely for his base
Of course it doesnt "work" on people like you
It's not for you
It's for them
It's not to change minds, it's to keep them from changing
It's what he does all day, every day, to keep them in line
Feeding them a steady diet of fearmongering and victim complex, constantly incited
So that they remain impervious to introspection, no matter how bad things look
Everything he says every day is solely for the purpose of throwing logs onto the fire
This is just another log for that fire
If you think it's not working then you're not the one this move was meant for

Yeah this is some galaxy brain 4D chess thinking. Trump loyalist do not need daily stunts or they'll change their minds. They like Trump because he's racist and hateful. No one who was still supporting him last week is going to defect because he didn't call out 60 Minutes. This thing wasn't for them it was for him and his ego. Trump only loses stuff from this stunt. He gains nothing.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

Has anyone ever actually played back Trumps words or videos to him? Like, actually show him that it IS him saying that stuff, that it isn't fake or made up? Because he could say that about literally anything (that's fake, I never said that) when they quote him instead of literally play it back to him.

Just seems like the obvious thing to do to this lying baby.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
God this is amazing. Just laying out his lies, hypocrisy, and stupidity bare for all to see.

I particularly love this exchange which took place right after Stahl pointed out that Trump keeps speaking like his replacement for Obamacare is not yet planned:

Trump: A new plan will happen.
Stahl: "Will"!
Trump: Will, and is.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I would bet good money that this interview barely registers as a blip on the larger news narrative come Sunday.

That is the only potential upside to this play.

The most sensationalist part of that show is out now and from going forward it will be the debate, whatever crazy shit he does between now and Monday, and then that interview that was already released and talked about. That at most will get a passing glance in the larger news coverage.

And that is all Trump cares about, winning that 24-hour news cycle in his mind.

Net effect is still gonna be that more people see it than would have, the same people on Sunday still see it, and he still looks like a jackass. It just won't be dominating the larger narrative most likely, which in his mind is most of what politics is.

Yup, strategy wise might as well get it out of the way, knock out the debate (in his mind) making up for this 'assassination attempt' so it's forgotten. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he freestyles in a defense of this interview during a rambling answer tonight.

On the flip, 60 Minutes is pretty much ratings gold on Sunday nights, widely seen as non-partisan so those handful of 'undecided' votes have a good chance of watching and they've got no real vested interest of trying to edit it as 'both sides' since he's burned this bridge. Having to go on offense with what should have been an easy interview isn't what his campaign needs a week and a half away. Doesn't move the needle, but he's the one who desperately needs the needle moved. The irony is 29 minutes or so in he jokes with Lesley and she laughs; that's what he needed to do, instead he's screaming at an anchorwoman outside of those 10 seconds of levity.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone ever actually played back Trumps words or videos to him? Like, actually show him that it IS him saying that stuff, that it isn't fake or made up? Because he could say that about literally anything (that's fake, I never said that) when they quote him instead of literally play it back to him.

he still calls it fake news. it's his word for "i don't like your tone" or "i don't like you saying that."

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

He'd just do what he does in this interview and claim he was being sarcastic.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely great ammo for biden
nobody said it was smart
just that it's having the intended effect on those it was meant for
doesnt mean it wont come back to bite him in the ass too

I think the key here is that Trump is genuinely in denial about both his actual level of support and his potential level of support. He thinks his base is larger than it is and that he also has room to grow, despite all evidence that these stunts turn more people off of him than persuade them.

So the diehard supporters get diehard-ier while his overall support shrinks

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

The tweet is pretty misleading if you don't have the context of the video. Trump acknowledges he said those words, he just says that he was obviously joking/being sarcastic and is mad that the interviewer is treating it seriously.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this guy so fucking much and I'm not even american... I fucking hate when he always says that EVERYTHING is so much better or the best since he's president. The best ever, the best blablababla. Fuck it. Why America, why the fuck have you voted for this guy...

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty, I wonder if this strategy will work. We've got polls and all sure, but the ultimate decider of whether Trump's strategy was stupid or not is Election Day.
Don't think so in the longrun. I think ultimately it's scraping the bottom of the barrel, and that desperately retaining his base with these moves is not enough to give him the win. But he's holding on as tight as he can, because it seems like he's lost anyone else but the diehards. And he wants to believe they're enough. Nobody else has lasted until 2020 with his bullshit. Fence sitters are moving anywhere but him. Biden, third party, or not voting altogether.
I believe voter apathy handed him the win in 2016. I don't believe I'm seeing the same apathy in 2020, people seem absolutely fired up to vote this year. But we'll see how that pans out in november.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being the President and being asked such tough, unfair questions like "do you have a plan?" and "what is it?" Thank goodness he had his trusty bunker to flee to and quiver in safety.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

He will just do what he did in that exchange you quoted.

"That was a sarcastic comment/joke and you took it and made it look bad." Paraphrasing but you get the idea.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
The tweet is pretty misleading if you don't have the context of the video. Trump acknowledges he said those words, he just says that he was obviously joking/being sarcastic and is mad that the interviewer is treating it seriously.

Except he wasn't being sarcastic when he said it. Sarcasm implies irony. He was trying to be flippant, but he was projecting like always

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Ya'll, there's no strategy to this when it comes to the election. The mean lady made him upset, so now he wants his followers to attack her for him. That's it. That's all this play is.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can live with the dumb. It is the complete disregard for anything and anyone not him which is painful.

Dumb people can be compassionate. Trump can't.

Me personally I can't. Everything else about him is like yea okay, Republicans voting for that isn't all that surprising sadly. I know he's particularly vindictive and self-centered, but yea, it's not that shocking.

But to vote for someone so embarrassingly, proudly stupid and ignorant for the highest office in the country, I just can't lol

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Wow this is one of the most hilarious self-owns I have ever watched. He's completely one note at best and just sickening at worst...which is most of the time.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
I hate this guy so fucking much and I'm not even american... I fucking hate when he always says that EVERYTHING is so much better or the best since he's president. The best ever, the best blablababla. Fuck it. Why America, why the fuck have you voted for this guy...

In school we are actually taught "American is the greatest country on earth". At least I remember that 30 years ago. Not saying all schools did that. I even remember some teacher once saying we were the only truly free democratic country. So when you have a loud mouth telling you that you are the best and we are "winning" that really speaks to certain Americans. Especially the people who are sick of being under the boot. They love to hear they are the best.
Also delusions of grandeur is a part of his malignant narcissism illness and also happens to be part of his "art of the deal". It's how he sells himself and his brand. Always the best. I'm sure his father told him when he was little "Remember Donnie, tell them you are the best all the time and they will eventually start to believe it".

Nov 19, 2019
"You said you asked me tough questions, which I'm fine with, but dear god never TELL me you're going to ask tough questions! It's absolutely unacceptable behavior!"

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Can they please ask him a question about what he actually said, have his denial and then show the actual words coming out of his mouth.... over and over and over again to show how he blatantly lies.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So it's exactly what everyone suspected, he did horrible and threw a fit.

i just fail to see how leaking this is helping him. He just looks like a dumbass again.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I hope 60 minutes now goes scorched earth and inserts clips of him saying things that he denies in the video.