• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Demographics were a lot whiter then, though. He could be more subtle (not that it was subtle). A lot of the reason we're where we are, today, is because of the shit Nixon implemented. Nixon was the architect of the "burn everything to the ground" if it's politically advantageous.
We are comparing their actions, not the potential long term effects of their actions after they leave office. If that's the case then we can't say anything about Trump since we don't know the long term effects of anything he's done yet.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
We are comparing their actions, not the potential long term effects of their actions after they leave office. If that's the case then we can't say anything about Trump since we don't know the long term effects of anything he's done yet.

I'm just saying the Trump is the natural evolution of everything that Nixon destabilized. So Trump is really just a side-birth of Nixon.

Obviously Trump doesn't have a single redeeming quality or single accomplishment to his name (unlike Nixon who actually has some very worthwhile accomplishments and was probably more liberal economically that the vast majority of democrats today). And it's probable that Democracy will be dead as the result of the shit Trump's spewed/will spew in the coming years. But I feel like we should properly credit Nixon for being the architect that created this path we're on. Because even Trump should probably be a blight on Nixon's legacy.

Oct 27, 2017
To quote myself from another thread:

As far as most historians can say, Nixon didn't actually order the Watergate break in. It's easy to ascribe it to him, since, he's Nixon of course he's guilty of doing it. He must've been. But there's not a lot of actual proof to back this up. There is far more evidence to suggest Nixon found out about it after the fact, and then overreacted to it. Rather than doing the right thing, fire everyone involved, and turn them over to the FBI, he sought to protect his people (and by extension himself, or so he believed) by covering it up. From there on he continued to make bad decision after bad decision, committing more and more crimes to cover up the cover up and so on. So while it's unlikely that he was guilty of ordering the break in, though, he is certainly guilty of creating the atmosphere that allowed the people under him to think doing that to begin with was okay.

The book Being Nixon: A Man Divided by Evan Thomas has a lot of good info about it. And even it suggests it's more likely that Nixon was involved with sabotaging the Vietnam peace talks than ordering Watergate (though, the book comes down on the side that Nixon's people probably did act with his knowledge, it likely made no difference in the outcome of the war, illegal as it was). It's interesting to note, though, that Nixon himself was concerned until the day he died with the idea that he may have ordered the Watergate break in and then...simply forgot about it. Seems unlikely, but when even the man himself was unsure, it makes it all the harder to say that he was guilty...of that one thing, at least.

Yeah I know, his only provable crime was the cover up part of it. I would assume that those who gave the order at least had an unspoken understanding with their boss on what methods they could use. Then again, he was a drunk too so it's possible they told him everything and he forgot.

I guess you could definitely argue that he was the worst president in terms of damage to the institution, lives lost, and craven lust for power. Trump probably has him beat in terms of irrational, self-inflicted injuries though.

Oct 29, 2017
Nixon's actions laid the groundwork for what Trump would eventually do and behave like. That said, Nixon was still a more effective president than Trump by far, even if he was a huge piece of shit and most certainly prolonged the Vietnam war leading to so many unnecessary deaths (I'd argue all deaths from the Vietnam war were unnecessary, but I guess that's a different conversation).

May 17, 2019
And Nixon was still worse. Vietnam, gutting NASA, furthering the surveillance state, extreme bigotry, civilian attacks, laid the groundwork for institutional damage, broke a generation, and so much more. True, Trump is a piece of shit, but Nixon was even more of a monster.

www.theatlantic.com

'He Was a Crook'

Hunter S. Thompson's scathing obituary of Nixon

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nixon sent a few people to break into the DNC at night and steal documents.

Trump sent hundreds of people into the Capitol while every Congressperson, Senator, and VP were conducting the transfer of power.

Like he's so bad, he almost makes you feel sorry for the other bad guys.

🎶

Nobody does, it worse.

Makes me feel bad for the rest.

Nobody does it, half as bad as you.

Baby baby, you're a pest.

🎶

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
And Nixon was still worse. Vietnam, gutting NASA, furthering the surveillance state, extreme bigotry, civilian attacks, laid the groundwork for institutional damage, broke a generation, and so much more. True, Trump is a piece of shit, but Nixon was even more of a monster.

www.theatlantic.com

'He Was a Crook'

To put things into context.

USA COVID-19 deaths: 398,370
USA Vietnam deaths: 58,209

COVID-19 is about to pass World War II (405,399) for bigger death toll for USA, and will probably pass Civil War (655,000~) if current rate doesn't change.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Trump is TWICE the man that Nixon was!... Nixon was only 175 lbs, after all."

Thank you, Reddit.

Oct 27, 2017

www.theatlantic.com

'He Was a Crook'

Really feels like you don't comprehend the damage Trump has done.

May 17, 2019

COVID-19 is about to pass World War II (405,399) for bigger death toll for USA, and will probably pass Civil War (655,000~) if current rate doesn't change.

Why are you only counting USA death tolls in Vietnam? The amount of civilian deaths that can be traced to US actions adds hundreds of thousands to that count.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Nixon was a piece of shit, while Trump is an even bigger piece of shit. Trump is like many piles of shit piled on top of other piles of shit, which has more shit buried underneath all the shit.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
For real? I thought Nixon was part of privatizing health care? Unless I have my presidents mixed up.
Nixon didn't support single payer but believed in universal healthcare and supported essentially an expanded public option to cover those unable to qualify for employer based coverage or Medicare.

Nixon's Plan For Health Reform, In His Own Words - KFF Health News

In 1974, President Nixon proposed universal health care, financial assistance for those who needed it and a way to control costs - a plan strikingly similar to those on Capitol Hill now.

Nixon was very progressive in some areas, especially compared to where the GOP stands now.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dude the Vietnam War killed anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 million people. Non-American lives matter to.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Dude the Vietnam War killed anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 million people. Non-American lives matter to.
I think they're talking about strictly US deaths. I agree with you that the Vietnam war was more costly as human lives are human lives, whether US or not.

However, one would think an extremely xenophobic President that rattled on and on about "America first" would actually do a fucking decent job at at least protecting his own citizens. I think that's the argument the person you quoted was making.

Rocwell

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
Yeah I agree the Nixon comparisons aren't really accurate.

How about Benedict Arnold? Benedict Donald really rolls off the tongue don'tcha think? Granted Arnold didn't do nearly as much damage but in terms of approval ratings they're probably comparable.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
To quote myself from another thread:

from article:
None of that means that the drug war hasn't disproportionately hurt black Americans. It clearly has. But the lessons of Nixon's drug policies may not be so much that he was a racist, power-hungry politician — although, again, he was — but rather that even well-meaning policies can have big, terrible unintended consequences.

Hell to the no. A bit too much whitewashing and giving way too much benefit of the doubt here. Nixon leaned in hard on the Southern Strategy and knew what he was doing and what it would lead to and for what purpose.

Treating him like just a neocon grandpa who hated all drugs only to then "oopsie" the country into a generations-spanning war of oppression is something others can do, but not me. Nixon was a racist monster with a high body count, domestic and especially abroad. And he will always remain one of the worst and most consequential white supremacist presidents we've ever had.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Despite Nixon being forced to resign, he was ABSOLUTELY a better President than Trump. Actually got a lot of positive things done during his tenure, but his excess paranoia is what did him in. Nixon, were he alive, would be insulted to be compared to Trump.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah I agree the Nixon comparisons aren't really accurate.

How about Benedict Arnold? Benedict Donald really rolls off the tongue don'tcha think? Granted Arnold didn't do nearly as much damage but in terms of approval ratings they're probably comparable.

If you tweeted Benedict Donald to the Lincoln Project they'd probably have it trending by the end of the day.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
That's unfair for Nixon. He actually created the EPA when the orange dildo was hell bent on destroying it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Nixon started the war on drugs?
Yes. He had great reasons too -

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people," Ehrlichman told journalist Dan Baum in 1994. "You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or blacks, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities."

Anyway, I think Nixon did way more harm than Trump, both in terms of lives lost and the long term consequences for the world. He's also way more racist than Trump (and if you think that's a defense of Trump than you don't know Nixon).

Though unlike Trump he did a couple of really good things, but overall fuck him and his rotting corpse.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, Nixon was an intelligent man and had a base of principles and shame, very low ones but were still there. The world was lucky that Trump is an idiot. Trump incompetence limited the damage he has done.

Imagine the damage that someone like Stanlin could have done with all the flaws in the democratic system that Trump exposed...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

www.theatlantic.com

'He Was a Crook'

This was a fantastic read, btw. I can honestly see H.S. Thompson having tried to ingratiate himself with Trumpers like he did Hells Angels