• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't people comparing Trump to this president or that one is fair.

Dude has curved out his on niche, he is a Frankstein of evil and incompetency. He can throw a dart at any 3 month period in this admin and be able to write a Barnes & Norble full of scholarly doorstoppers

Oh, I'm imagining that that everything we know at the moment is going to be merely the tip of the iceberg. You could probably fill a library with shit. Which will be incedentally, Trump's presidential library. Everything in it is a thing you are not allowed to do if your ass is sitting in the oval office. I'm more interested in if we're actually going to do something about this shit and get all this shit in writing so its clearly a crime to do these things.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If anything the presidency held him back. Once he's a civilian he's going to ratchet things up to 20 with 0 boundaries on what he can say and do. Expect him to go full cult leader mode. Remind me of this post in a year or two, he's going to become a shit-show-circus and become even more Jesus like to waaaaaaaay too many people.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If anything the presidency held him back. Once he's a civilian he's going to ratchet things up to 20 with 0 boundaries on what he can say and do. Expect him to go full cult leader mode. Remind me of this post in a year or two, he's going to become a shit-show-circus and become even more Jesus like to waaaaaaaay too many people.
And he'll go out like most cult leaders: jail or a hail of gunfire in under two years. Dude has a flood of lawsuits just waiting for him to leave office and he's lost all his political and most of his legal team, he's in for a lot of hurt especially if it comes out he explicitly suppressed security last week

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
And he'll go out like most cult leaders: jail or a hail of gunfire in under two years. Dude has a flood of lawsuits just waiting for him to leave office and he's lost all his political and most of his legal team, he's in for a lot of hurt especially if it comes out he explicitly suppressed security last week

Will he ever get a jury that doesn't have one his nuts on it?
With civil cases he's too experienced in playing the system to make any real impact. He'll grift his followers who will keep the money flowing in and abuse the legal/financial system to keep his wealth

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's he gonna do if they keep it up? Lol he basically has no power right now and everyone has either already found a job or is just moving on in general at this point, most probably have their final paychecks approved already

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Last I checked, Nixon never ordered a mob of his brainwashed followers to take up arms and storm the capitol to try and prevent himself from having to leave office.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
08firstdraft-trumpnixon-tmagArticle.jpg

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait.

200.gif

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nixon opened up relations with China. He was a genuinely bad person but he did accomplish something important.

Oct 27, 2017
Nixon gave Americans free treatment for kidney disease.

Trump gave Americans Covid19.
Nixon sent a few people to break into the DNC at night and steal documents.

Trump sent hundreds of people into the Capitol while every Congressperson, Senator, and VP were conducting the transfer of power.

Like he's so bad, he almost makes you feel sorry for the other bad guys.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Geez I remember certain threads 2-3 years ago debating if Trump was worse than Nixon or not...those were the days.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Nixon was a huge piece of shit but he did way less to damage our democracy.
I agree but Nixon went beyond "piece of shit" category. Many people only remember him for the Watergate burglary and how he got caught. He is absolutely a far worse, much more nefarious individual. He actively plotted to kill Ted Kennedy by removing his secret service detail for example. It's in the tapes.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
And with the banks abandoning him and his financial reputation in tatters, too.

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
Now is the time to think of a catchy nickname that cleverly pairs Nixon with Trump to make it stick.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I assume he's rather be compared to the corrupt moron President people still like for some reason?

Also, do people saying the comparison is an insult to Nixon realize what a fucking insane scumbag he was? Like W, Nixon is in his own stratosphere of evil for all of the blood he has on his hands.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Nixon ended the Vietnam War after torpedoing LBJ's peace talks behind the scenes.

Yeah, feels like it should always be mentioned that Nixon conspired with a power, who we were literally at war with, to win an election. Thousands dead per month, and this dude not only extended the war but expanded it after getting power.
That expansion led to not only more needless blood and death abroad, but 1970 wasn't a particularly good year following the expansion into Cambodia for many Americans stateside.

Fuck Nixon and his silent majority, and fuck his war on drugs - a literal war on America's own because he was a white supremacist authoritarian asshole.
www.businessinsider.com

Top Nixon adviser reveals the racist reason he started the 'war on drugs' decades ago

"By getting the public to associate hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin... We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, and vilify them."
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news."

"Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did," he concluded, according to Baum.

If Trump and Nixon should be mentioned together, it should always only be in shaming the GOP for giving us lying, cheating, criminal white supremacists who continually loot the country.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
wayyyy too much Nixon love ITT for me. Countless children in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos were burned alive, women raped or shot to pieces by our heinous military and their endeavor that Nixon lied about order to extend the war simply to be re-elected. Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of American soldiers who died unnecessarily

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
wayyyy too much Nixon love ITT for me. Countless children in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos were burned alive, women raped or shot to pieces by our heinous military and their endeavor that Nixon lied about order to extend the war simply to be re-elected. Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of American soldiers who died unnecessarily
Yep. No lies there. It's arguably fair to say that Nixon was "complicated" and that he accomplished some good, but it absolutely can't be left at that: everything you said, plus the beginnings of the war on drugs that fomented racial inequities and racist animosity that can still be felt -- that absolutely can't be overlooked.

But this makes me perversely curious about how people, on whatever will replace forums 50 years from now, will attempt to whitewash and minimize Trump.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. No lies there. It's arguably fair to say that Nixon was "complicated" and that he accomplished some good, but it absolutely can't be left at that: everything you said, plus the beginnings of the war on drugs that fomented racial inequities and racist animosity that can still be felt -- that absolutely can't be overlooked.

But this makes me perversely curious about how people, on whatever will replace forums 50 years from now, will attempt to whitewash and minimize Trump.

i think that really depends on what president logan paul decides to do

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nixon also take a bunch of insomnia medication while drinking and have a nuclear bomb paraded through North Vietnam in order to convince the Vietcong into surrendering or something along those lines? The "madman theory" thing.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Trump is the best thing to happen to Nixon in decades. Lol.

Most important to me is that the comparison bothers Trump greatly. Anything that bothers Trump is a win and should be exploited at every opportunity. Make him suffer!

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
If you worked for him it would be hard to resist whispering - or shouting - AROOOOOOOOOOO every chance you get in his vicinity.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, in Trump's defense Nixon was impeached two times less than Trump, so you can't really compare that.

Leaving office in disgrace? Absolutely

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Maybe there will be a Call of Duty game in the future where Trump is revealed as a traitor and works for the Russian... nah, I hope he's gone from limelight forever lol. Also the devs probably won't dare to do that :p

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Nixon was a good politician but a crook. He probably knew how to get shit done.

Trump is just an all around idiot.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nixon also start the war on drugs? I honestly thought that was his gravest racist offense. I don't see it mentioned here at all.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I know everyone wants to hammer Trump, which is fine, but Nixon was such a piece of shit I don't know how you compare.

He ordered the carpet bombing and invasion of Cambodia, a neutral nation for no reason than to convince conservatives he was still tough on communism. Estimated 500,000 were killed, including 50,000 executions.

Nixon also continued a program of mass torture far worse than Bush's, ordered chemical warfare in Vietnam, and pardoned a mass murderer of women and children, at My Lai.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're birds of a feather IMO. Both were pretty bad when you dig into it.

If I had to choose sure I'd Trump was worse; Nixon at least was articulate and had some positive policies/elements. Nixon's low's though are really low: sabotaging efforts to halt Vietnam War to get himself elected and allow him to claim win of halting the war (essentially treason I'd presume); per-meditated crimes to retain power/influence and harm political opponents, conspiring against individuals, etc.

Trump's worse only in that he has no actual high's at all; everything he did was shit or simply allowed shit to happen and of course his stoking of violence and insurrection.

But I mean this is saying which criminal was marginally more criminal and which criminal had a few good spots. They're both criminals and both illustrate huge issues with GOP and US politics and reflect badly on those who voted for them.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Space Force
Prison Reform
....ummmm....maybe more people will like some of his trade related moves in the future?
I honestly can't think of anything else that might be used for positive spin

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
There is no "Nixon love" in this thread. Acknowledging some good that he did, isn't love.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can at least credit Nixon with my birth. Had he not bombed the ever living fuck out of Laos, blowing up a bunch of Laotian and Vietnamese people into little pieces or displacing them, my family would not have fled to the US and birthed me out of some white lady.

That's what 270 million cluster bombs will do. A very "complicated" and "mixed bag" of a man indeed.