• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
about how long is the game? I played maybe 10 hours on Wii U and dropped it for other things but I want to finish it this time.

HLTB has the original game at 49-65 hours. Sounds like the Switch version has around 1-2 hours worth of extra sidequests, but on the other hand, all the load times are drastically shorter so overall the Switch version might take less time.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Stoked to play this in future . Cancelled my pre order because my backlog of RPGs is way too high. (Although still might cave in few days anyway)

That being said, I love persona, love smt, love fire emblem and this pop mishmash of those games sounds delightful.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the errors on meta have been fixed.

two more reviews

The Games Machine (8.3/10, review in Italian):
Tokyo Mirage Session #FE Encore remains one of the best JRPGs of the last generation, but the improvements introduced in this edition are not enough to recommend a new purchase to those who already own the WiiU version.

RPG Site (8/10):
In the end, I believe Tokyo Mirage Session is a wonderful game and anyone that is into JRPGs should give it a try. Players that have already played and beaten the original Wii U version might find that there isn't much reason to get this game other than that you can play on your Switch. If you haven't played this before, it's a great addition to your library, especially for fans of Fire Emblem and the Shin Megami Tensei series, although I do feel that it's quite the missed opportunity for not restoring some of the deleted content from the original Japanese version.

Oct 25, 2017
FM9S0ll.jpg
VoNmJTZ.jpg
zcmnaki.jpg
fYyiRoP.jpg

The cards have the singles cover on the front, and the Japanese lyrics in Romanji on the back.
As Iriscomeback said above! Pretty sure that was it. I liked it though, And I really enjoyed the game so it was a good pick up.
If I remember correctly:

Artbook
CD with selected music
Stickers

That was it I think

Aah gotcha thanks. Looks lovely. Definitely envious but I'll enjoy the current release at least.

Ppl love to blindly dismiss all jpop as cookie-cutter idol stuff, just like some dismiss all anime as brainless moe filler.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
So they didn't add in any new dance numbers? That's as shame, one of my favorite parts of the original. Loved the battle system in this game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
On the length thing, there's also a NG+ mode that includes a new ultimate difficulty, a new rank of arena battles, and 2 new sidequests (super tough fights) if you really like the game.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Only took 40 hours to finish the game and do every sidequest in my Switch playthrough

I did use the Training Dungeon though to cut out grinding

Thinking about it a bit more, load screen improvements & quick sessions could also significantly reduce the playtime compared to the Wii U version, especially with how much time you end up spending in Dungeons.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if the 720p docked resolution has to do with the memory setup. With so many games missing out on bumping up the resolution, I have to wonder if it's hardware related

Deleted member 59

Looked through a few reviews but couldn't see confirmation: is handheld mode native 720p?

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Is this game a 100% idol/bubblegum shit, or does it have the usual SMT twists where it suddenly becomes fucked up nearly the end of the game?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I got like 30 hours into the Wii U version and I remember liking it; my complaints were that the main character is super bland, even for JRPG and anime standards, and I hated it that a main antagonist wasn't even really around even 30 hours in

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Only took 40 hours to finish the game and do every sidequest in my Switch playthrough

I did use the Training Dungeon though to cut out grinding
That's a nice sweet spot.

As good as Persona 5 is, a lot of the social and daily life elements stressed me out because I was trying to micromanage everything.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
So there's no micromanaging and the game is relatively easy?

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
So there's no micromanaging and the game is relatively easy?

No Calendar system, just based on Chapters & intermissions. The closest thing to micro-managing is crafting & upgrading your weapons so you can learn new skills. Overall I'd say the game is relatively easy, although encountering the Savage enemiess (Blue cloaked wraiths on the battlefield) they will be several levels above you & are likely to kick your ass.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Every time someone says "idol" I get a little more unreasonably annoyed. This is going to be a frustrating week.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Is this game a 100% idol/bubblegum shit, or does it have the usual SMT twists where it suddenly becomes fucked up nearly the end of the game?
It goes even harder on the idol stuff as the game progresses. The Fire Emblem awful song at the end was a meme for a while
Every time someone says "idol" I get a little more unreasonably annoyed. This is going to be a frustrating week.
Why? The game is about it, the dialogue says it every 5 sentences. It's literally a story about idols saving the world and becoming better uh, idols? Its a very shallow story with a really fun gameplay loop.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
that eurogamer review is pretty bad, but good to see this game getting the review love it deserves

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge fan of this game, and while I'm getting it again so I can replay it, the news that almost nothing has changed is really underwhelming.

Feels like all the Wii U ports we have gotten so far have had some cool, new gameplay additions to them; while all this has a two hour long dungeon.

I really, REALLY hope that they plan to make a Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2. This really shouldn't be a one off entry, but I can imagine how hard it might be to make a sequel when you have to rely on a third party developer to make the game.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It definitely should've had subtitles during battle speech though. Still annoyed whenever that happens in a Japanese-voice only game.
The thing is the things the characters are saying are not relevant at all, it's stuff like "it's my turn" or "I'll do it" or "wish me luck" and the way they are said usually conveys it well enough.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The battle system talk has me interested and I don't mind the bubblegum idol theme per se, but... is this another JRPG about one or more busty, scantily-clad women who are also shy and virginal to the point of social dysfunction inexplicably swooning over a generic male player stand-in? Because I just can't take that shit any more.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I wasn't expecting these reviews. I didn't have a WiiU soI thought I'd be skipping this but it sounds great and I've always loved the pop idol stuff.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i was reluctant before. but now im tempted, though ill probably wait for a sale
i just know i would like it

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
The battle system talk has me interested and I don't mind the bubblegum idol theme per se, but... is this another JRPG about one or more busty, scantily-clad women who are also shy and virginal to the point of social dysfunction inexplicably swooning over a generic male player stand-in? Because I just can't take that shit any more.

Struck through the parts that don't apply. It's not about this, but I'd be lying if I said this sort of thing doesn't exist in the game. Outfits are relatively tame in this game though.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I played this game 3-4 years ago, I do not remember if there was any romance in this game? Someone want to refresh my memory in spoiler tags?

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Considering I played this game 3-4 years ago, I do not remember if there was any romance in this game? Someone want to refresh my memory in spoiler tags?

Nothing that makes its way into gameplay.
There are people who clearly have crushes on other characters, but that's about it as I recall.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Struck through the parts that don't apply. It's not about this, but I'd be lying if I said this sort of thing doesn't exist in the game. Outfits are relatively tame in this game though.

Haha, I appreciate both the content and formatting of your reply.

...maybe I'll pick it up on sale.