• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like the modern personas, the GBA fire emblem & three houses and Ike from smash bros but dislike jpop and anime in general, would this be good try?

Last edited:

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I like the modern personas and fire emblem: three houses and Ike from smash bros but dislike jpop and anime in general, would this be good try?

I think if you like modern persona games then you will enjoy the gameplay. It's got a chapter structure instead of a Calendar system so there's no time management to worry about. It's got very good turn based combat. You learn skills from weapons you craft (like Final Fantasy Tactics) that help your teammates chain combos together when you exploit an enemy's weakness.

The idol setting isn't too bad, although there are a few very tropey characters that you might not enjoy, but the playable characters are mostly pretty good imo. Side stories are mostly goofy and focus on preparing your teammates for various performances (often you take them with you to a dungeon to destroy certain enemies) and this is how you unlock various special moves. Otherwise they tie the idol stuff to dungeon mechanics in reasonably clever ways.

The Fire Emblem characters are mostly from Awakening & the first game, so you might not know many of them.

I think most people will be able to look past the idol stuff for the fun gameplay & RPG mechanics, but may be worth waiting for an eshop deal if you're still on the fence.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hm, I think I'll wait and hope a friend gets the physical version and try that then. Cheers.

Wish it had a dub.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved fire emblem three houses

I liked persona 5 combat, but really hated the free days

Would I like this?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Not really into
  • Stuff that is "anime af"
  • Jpop idols
  • Cheesy song scenes in Jrpgs
  • The "power of friendships." And similar played out Jrpg tropes.
I am into:
  • SMT (played and enjoyed smt iv)
  • FE
  • Good Jrpgs with strong battle systems.
Will this game annoy the crap out of me?

Depends on what you mean by dislike. If you can tolerate it then maybe if not then no way. It is very jpop and "anime".

I'm guessing so.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
It goes even harder on the idol stuff as the game progresses. The Fire Emblem awful song at the end was a meme for a while

Why? The game is about it, the dialogue says it every 5 sentences. It's literally a story about idols saving the world and becoming better uh, idols? Its a very shallow story with a really fun gameplay loop.
Because the only character with the "Idol" trope is Tsubasa. Kiria fits more into the Diva trope, Touma the super sentai/hero kids show actor, Mamori the child TV show star, Yashiro the male superstar (I guess he's closest to the male equivalent of an idol), and Eleanora the aspiring actress. Tsubasa does play a huge role but that's not the only thing the game is about. And the Fire Emblem song was only a "meme" to those who were disappointed on what the crossover actually was or did not like the game (which you clearly don't) whether they played it or not. Personally, I found that moment pretty epic but still in a tropey light hearted "power of good" sort of way.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Excited to experience the fire emblem opera again. Loved it and basically everything about the game so you bet I'm dipping again

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Good to see that reviewers still appreciate the game some time later.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Full portable play and skippable Session animations will make this game shine. I enjoyed it on the Wii U but towards the end of the game I found battles really tedious because every attack would kick off six unskippable animations.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Excited to give this game another go. Didn't get far the first time around, but I think I'll enjoy playing it more on the Switch.

Just need to decide between physical and digital. Digital makes more sense since I have two Switches, but 720p docked is disappointing so I'll likely run through most of it on my Lite.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I'm waiting for my copy to arrive. Tokyo Mirage Sessions was one of my most anticipated ports from Wii U for the Switch and it's so cool to finally have an opportunity to play this game.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Not really into
  • Stuff that is "anime af"
  • Jpop idols
  • Cheesy song scenes in Jrpgs
  • The "power of friendships." And similar played out Jrpg tropes.
I am into:
  • SMT (played and enjoyed smt iv)
  • FE
  • Good Jrpgs with strong battle systems.
Will this game annoy the crap out of me?

I'm guessing so.

People will say, skip it (battle system is goat, though). But maybe give it a try. I too was all of the above in your "not into"-list. At least i thought so. But #FE has a really charming, unintrusive way to navigate around the most tropey stuff. It did everything i thought would be too tropey (especially "The power of friendship") way better than it had every right to. It did it in appropriate amounts and with seriousness as well as some little winks and humour. I grew really attached to several characters.
There are 1 or 2 music cutscenes that can be too cheesy, but that amounts to nothing more than the amount of cringeworthy scenes in every other JRPG. Other songs are great.

And the battle system as well as the upgrade system and is soooo good.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My wii u special edition is still sealed. Is the switch version significantly better?
Aside from the extra content that adds a good 2-3 hours of gameplay, the biggest takeaway from the Switch port is faster load times; 2-3x faster if you look at Gamexplain's video. Honestly, the almost instantaneous transition from field to battle is enough to get me to buy it a 2nd time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digitally Downloaded (5/5):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions was one of the very few Wii U titles that I've been hanging out for a Switch re-release of since I first got my hands on the console, and it doesn't disappoint on any level. It's a brilliant concept, well told, and backed by Atlus' skill with turn-based combat at its peak.

AnaitGames (6/10, review in Spanish):
A quirky and irresistible crossover, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is nonetheless an anachronistic game that doesn't explore its themes as much as it could --even though its battle system is solid enough to be attractive on its own.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Because the only character with the "Idol" trope is Tsubasa. Kiria fits more into the Diva trope, Touma the super sentai/hero kids show actor, Mamori the child TV show star, Yashiro the male superstar (I guess he's closest to the male equivalent of an idol), and Eleanora the aspiring actress. Tsubasa does play a huge role but that's not the only thing the game is about.

Exactly. People are talking about "idols" and "idol culture" as if it's like iM@s or Love Live, or else AKB48, or something. When most of them only sing as a side thing at most and even then it's a solo song or duet. It's about an entertainment agency.

Like I do think wanting it to say something about more general toxic fan culture and how agencies cruelly enforce that stuff is valid? But... it's also not really about that specific kind of "idol".

also that moment is hilariously amazing and I'm happy I dodged being spoiled pre-release, it rules

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Glad to see the good reviews. Never finished it on the Wii U. Will double dip on it in a little while.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see it reviewing well, hopefully more people check it out this time. There's no launch or pre-order bonuses right?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Polygon (no score):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore's story may appeal more to those already interested in this style of game, but even as a relative outsider the combat itself was more than enough to grab, and keep, my interest. I'm glad this hidden gem is now so easy to excavate.

4Players.de (84/100, review in German):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore offers good role-playing entertainment on Switch, where fans of Shin Megami Tensei and Persona in particular get their money's worth. In terms of content, the anime adventure was not only expanded to include separately released DLCs from the Wii-U original, but also completely new content. In addition to fresh stories and locations such as the EX stories or the "Area of Aspiration" dungeon, there are also additional allies, outfits, songs, skills and items. In addition, the minimap can now be shown in the dungeons, while faster loading times and combat animations ensure a brisker gaming experience. Despite the still worth seeing anime recordings, the graphics are clearly dusty, the lack of touch support is incomprehensible. The sometimes very small font is also problematic in handheld mode. In addition, there is still no English soundtrack or German subtitles - French, however, does. Genre fans who have no problem with this should definitely strike, even if the award is still denied ...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, that Polygon review is an interesting one. I was definitely more experienced with RPGs in general than them, but I feel I was a more casual player of them until around the time this came out on Wii U and it was one of the first of me playing them more actively. So it's neat to hear that it's similarly satisfying/intuitive for a more outright newcomer to the genre.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atomix (85/100, review in Spanish):
Tokyo Mirage Sessssions #FE was one of the most colorful, entertaining and visually amazing games from the Wii U that, sadly, most people ignored. Now, this new port for the Nintendo Switch serves as a second chance to get into this fabulous game, all while it adds a fair amount of extra content (previous DLC and new materials) that turn it into the most complete version of the title. It's one game that many will enjoy, specially fans from the RPG genre, the Fire Emblem and/or Shin Megami Tensei/Persona series and, even so those one who played the original title.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Split if I should get this or not
I only play docked so it being 720p is a big turn off for me. On the other hand it sounds like has improved loading times and you can skip animations?
I could alternatively play it via CEMU at 4k and play the game for much cheaper
idk what to do

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Split if I should get this or not
I only play docked so it being 720p is a big turn off for me. On the other hand it sounds like has improved loading times and you can skip animations?
I could alternatively play it via CEMU at 4k and play the game for much cheaper
idk what to do

Improved loading times are godsent.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
So that video of this game having much faster load times on switch, is that through cart, digital or internal memory?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
So that video of this game having much faster load times on switch, is that through cart, digital or internal memory?
I would assume digital since I think most reviewers nowadays just receive codes for the product, though whether it's on internal memory or SD card is anyone's guess. I'm playing it on cart though, and the load times feel similarly snappy... definitely still a big improvement over the Wii U version.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepur (no score):
In short, the Switch version of #FE is the same game you knew on Switch, with a few extra snippets to bring long-term fans back.

It likely won't be the last of the Wii U ports, but it is still one of the best Wii U games from the previous generations. Fans of the older games looking to come back might find a kick from playing it again, but the game is really for those who never played the original and are looking to experience the game for themselves.

Just Push Start (8.5/10):
Similar to the original Wii U version, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore remains an experience worth playing. It might not appeal to everyone but if you can get past the idol elements and some of the rough parts, it's a challenging RPG that has plenty of style and charm. Enough to warrant playing and certainly enough to keep most players invested in the long haul.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
How long is the game? I've been eyes this one since the WiiU days, but I'm not really in the mood for a massive RPG

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I refuse to play this game simply because there's no English dub. Come on, this is a first party published Nintendo product. I get not doing it for the Wii U version, it was always going to sell peanuts, but why even bother with a Switch deluxe version if you're still not dubbing it? Even NIS and XSeed manage to get a dub in most of their obscure JRPGs that come out over here, and this is Nintendo cheaping out on a product closely related to one of their biggest franchises. No thanks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GBAtemp (8.5/10):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions never really captures the best of either of its inspirations, always feeling like a crossover that mixes the elements of both Persona and Fire Emblem, but never blends them fully. However, that doesn't take away that this is a fun and fulfilling JRPG, even if it's not what we expected, and most definitely deserved a second lease on life on the Nintendo Switch.

Noisy Pixel (7.5/10):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore has some amazing RPG systems with a lackluster story. It's nearly impossible to care about these characters and their relationship within the first ten hours of the game, and that's more than enough time for players to just give up from disinterest. As soon as the real antagonist shows up, things get better, but its a crawl until that happens.

Thankfully, the battle system, great character models, and the fantastic soundtrack are there to accompany you until the story kicks into gear. I had an excellent time playing through this game again, and I do hope that more RPG fans get the chance to experience it on its new console home.

Critical Hit (7/10):
With one of the most addictive turn-based battle systems you'll find today in a JRPG, Tokyo Mirage Sessions was a blast to play. It's just unfortunate that the story and characters were about as bland as flavourless rice cakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Screen Rant (4.5/5):
The original Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was cruelly overlooked by the gaming public, due to the fact that it was restricted to the limited audience of the Nintendo Wii U. Times have changed since 2016 and the Nintendo Switch has seen incredible success around the world, while Persona 5 has made the Atlus-style of JRPG popular in the west. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is a better version of one of the best Wii U games and it now has a second chance of life on the Switch. The people who love JRPGs owe it to themselves to try out Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore and see what they have been missing out on.

TheGamer (4.5/5):
I never got to experience this game on the Wii U and I'm kind of glad I didn't because having it available to play on commutes is a delight. The story is silly, yet still managed to get me invested and the battle system is fantastic. This pretty much checks all the boxes for me in terms of what I want from a JRPG. There are a few little problems that prevent it from being perfect, but for the most part, I think this is a top contender for the best JRPG you can find on the Nintendo Switch.

Luis Alamilla (8.5/10, video review)

Guardian (8/10):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is one of those rare games that appears unappealing on paper yet turns out to be a triumph. It operates as a sort of digital ambassador for the entire JRPG genre – which often suffers from a perception that it is old-fashioned, saddled with obscure gameplay and of interest only to those obsessed with Japanese culture. Plus, it shines an irresistible light on the eccentric, cute but endlessly beguiling nature of Japanese pop culture.

If you have a Switch, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is an essential purchase – and if you harbour a fondness for anime and its aesthetic, it is worth buying a Switch for. This is, simply, the first cult-classic game of 2020.

Hardcore Gamer (4/5):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is the definitive version of a JRPG that was already quite enjoyable. The new features, content and high-definition visuals aren't quite enough to make it feel like a brand new game all over again, but they do go a long way towards enhancing what was already there. Its story is easy to get into for those who allow themselves to go along for the ride; the main characters are a likable bunch and its generally positive atmosphere and bright presentation is even infectious at times. The combat takes a bit to come into its own, but becomes a real spectacle once it does. Some might find that slowness and the large amount of dialogue to be annoying, but the game's inherent positivity and silliness will likely still be enough to make it an overall fun experience.

Worth Playing (8/10):
For good or ill, Tokyo Mirage Session #FE: Encore's biggest strength and biggest weakness is that it's pretty much the same game you may have played on the Wii U. It runs better, it looks better, and it has some nice quality-of-life improvements, but it's basically the same game. Is that worth $60? It depends on how much you enjoyed the game in the first place, or if you missed it due to it being a Wii U title. Anyone who is a fan of Persona-style games will almost certainly enjoy it. JRPG fans hoping for something to tide them over until Persona 5 Royale should find a comfortable home in the weird world of Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

3DJuegos (8/10, review in Spanish):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is a second chance for this JRPG that happened somewhat unnoticed in its launch on Wii U, but that, even with a somewhat light history focused on the world of idols and JPOP, it has a fantastic exploration and one of the best fighting systems of recent years. The novelties of this edition are scarce and do not justify the repurchase, but pay attention if you did not play it at the time.

Attack of the Fanboy (4/5):
While Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore may not have quite as much Fire Emblem influence as some fans may want, the two series go very well together with a unique premise and Mirage system that is overlaid upon a pretty traditional turn-based system at its core that will satisfy both fan bases.

Gamer Guides (3.5/5):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is a great RPG that deserved a second chance on a more popular console. The changes might not be numerous but what is there elevates the game beyond the original and for those with a tolerance of the industry, you'll find a fantastic RPG that fills that Persona void on the Switch.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Game is pretty solid, but im skipping a good 90% of the cutscenes. I don't remember if the wiiu version had the quick follow up toggle, but holy hell is that nice.

Also i would buy a $20 dlc pack that simply turned off the notifications that you have texts / made people text you less. Its every fucking 30 seconds.

I also recommend turning the voice volume wayyy down. Everyones chirping on follow up attacks is grating as hell.

Edit: just finished. Boy, this game is wasted potential. Solid battle system and potentially concept, but they execute that concept so brazenly awful. 95% of the game is jpop filler episodes and the final act is just a paint by numbers jrpg ending cliche.

Last edited: