• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if we are going to get battle subtitles? That was one of my biggest annoyances of the first game, I have no clue what they are saying during battle. It's such a huge oversight that I hope they don't make it again.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I dig the new song. Really looking forward to playing through the game again!

Did they show how the text message system will work on the Switch? The Wii U implementation was so perfect.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The new additions seem minor, but the base game is really amazing so I'm buying it again. At least the Twitter posts from Nintendo confirm that the 3 new characters only are available for Session Attacks, which was pretty obvious from the start but caused some discussion here.

What seems more disappointing to me about the port is that the long Nintendo JP video looks really 720p. Game looks nice, but a bump to 1080p was what I expected.

Sep 14, 2019
The new additions seem minor, but the base game is really amazing so I'm buying it again. At least the Twitter posts from Nintendo confirm that the 3 new characters only are available for Session Attacks, which was pretty obvious from the start but caused some discussion here.

What seems more disappointing to me about the port is that the long Nintendo JP video looks really 720p. Game looks nice, but a bump to 1080p was what I expected.

What are Session Attacks?

Haven't played the game, but totally stoked to get it for Switch.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
What are Session Attacks?

Haven't played the game, but totally stoked to get it for Switch.
When you strike an enemy weakness (based both in FE triangle and TMS elemental weaknesses), if a companion has a session (passive skills learned through leveling) attack related to the weakness you attacked , it will automatically follow-up with a attack, this can continue in a chain. For example, if a character has "Ice-Lunge " as a session attack, if you attack the Ice weakness of an enemy, this character will automatically attack with a Lunge attack, that at the same time will trigger any "Lunge-X" session attack from another character.

If a character performs a Session attack during the chain that the enemy resists, the chain will end. Randomly during the longer chains, the game lets you press the triggers to activate dual attacks, two characters will perform some powerful attack with some special property, usually the game allows you to chose between 2 of these.

Oct 31, 2017
I will never not find wedding dress cosplay stuff weird in general. My main complaint is that the 20 of us who bought the original WiiU version won't get a nice hefty discount on this version of the game. I don't think it adds enough for me to want to bother

It's not even a wedding dress. This has been debunked a long time ago :P

Absolutely, there are many Atlus fans who were and still are disappointed, outraged, and bitter over what the game was tonally versus the January 2013 Direct announcement.

... That was a teaser trailer mashing characters from previous SMT and FE games and that's pretty much it.

Are people still bitching about this ? :D

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I'm hyped yet conflicted for this. I didn't buy the game too long ago for Wii U when I found a copy for cheap.
Now I'm willing to double dip for a Switch copy (playing on the go and docking has spoiled me), but I just don't see any reason yet to do that.
They haven't convinced me with the additions for the Switch version. New songs are nice, but I don't care about them. What else do we have? New attacks or whatever it was? If this doesn't turn out to be a decent upgrade over the Wii U version, I might just get it over with and play that one.

Though, I saw this Switch release as the game's final chance to sell decently. I really support more of these cross-overs, even though it's nothing I was dreaming about in 2013. :P

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
... That was a teaser trailer mashing characters from previous SMT and FE games and that's pretty much it.

Are people still bitching about this ? :D
Yeah, considering that they went silent for several months after the reveal and then "rebooted" it as the final game, I'm surprised that some people are still angry about a trailer that was a slideshow of existing concept art.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying it again to get all the trophies this time. Getting some of them meant playing through the game thrice, and I sure as hell wasn't doing that without portability and with the long Sessions at the endgame.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still kind of turned off by all the idol stuff in the game...but I'll probably check this out anyways.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'm still kind of turned off by all the idol stuff in the game...but I'll probably check this out anyways.
I guess I get how you feel. The first minute of the video really turned me off, but seeing the dungeons, battles and mirages helped raise my interest again. The song in the end was quite nice as well to my ears. Guess I'll be able to deal with the real world idol stuff while enjoying everything else.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
On my to get list but I have too big a jrpg backlog and too tight a budget to get day one this time

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I hate wii u to switch ports.. But daaamn, I loved the bs so much in this game that I am tempted to double dip
Especially because I didn't finish the game back in the days and now my wii u is no more available at home

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Even a poor man's dub could help this game gain alotta traction. Keeping it Japanese only is crazy
But it is.
I know people that won't play Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth because there's no dub.
A dub would immensely help a game.
They specifically didn't dub the game because the Japanese vocal performances are a key presentation aspect. The actors sing all of the game's songs in character.

Dubbing the songs would just be awkward.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that overview trailer really gave me the impulse to pick this up and play through again, but I don't think I have the time or energy to go through all 80 hours. It's a weird sort of nostalgia for a game I played, like, 3 years ago?

I guess I'll just cross my fingers it does well enough for a sequel.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped yet conflicted for this. I didn't buy the game too long ago for Wii U when I found a copy for cheap.
Now I'm willing to double dip for a Switch copy (playing on the go and docking has spoiled me), but I just don't see any reason yet to do that.
They haven't convinced me with the additions for the Switch version. New songs are nice, but I don't care about them. What else do we have? New attacks or whatever it was? If this doesn't turn out to be a decent upgrade over the Wii U version, I might just get it over with and play that one.

Though, I saw this Switch release as the game's final chance to sell decently. I really support more of these cross-overs, even though it's nothing I was dreaming about in 2013. :P

So I don't know if I'd say it's "rebuy the game at full price" worthy, but the ability to speed up long strings of skills is going to be a welcome QoL feature when you get near the end of the game.

Can we get everyone to agree that not subtitling in-battle quotes is the real scandal here.

Yup, that's the only complaint I'd have about this. It was annoying the first time around and they have less of an excuse this time, especially when the English release is the same day.

I don't want to say they could "easily" do anything because who knows how it actually works, but I remember feeling like they totally could have used some of the existing UI (I think it was the way they showed comments made while exploring dungeons?) to display what they were saying while balancing between being too obtrusive and being too easy to miss.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
They specifically didn't dub the game because the Japanese vocal performances are a key presentation aspect. The actors sing all of the game's songs in character.

Dubbing the songs would just be awkward.

Not really an excuse, they could've dubbed everything but the songs like Stella Glow for example. I don't mind it outside the in-battle talking being completely left without subtitles.