LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Sure, but at this point, the whining about the whining is just as annoying. If there'd be discussion on the new stuff or other subjects without people constantly jumping on those talking about the wedding dress, this thread wouldn't be 80% that and they'd just be passing comments.
If we go far enough, the whining about the whining about the whining will be the new hotness in annoyance technology.

But really, the truth is... there just really isn't much else to talk about. It's the same game that was released in 2016, with some relatively modest (pun intended) additions.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If we go far enough, the whining about the whining about the whining will be the new hotness in annoyance technology.

But really, the truth is... there just really isn't much else to talk about. It's the same game that was released in 2016, with some relatively modest (pun intended) additions.
That is also what it comes down to. Some people were hoping that this game was more than it is, with wishes that Maiko/Barry/Tiki in Sessions indicated that they would be playable characters, when most of what one needs to know about Encore was revealed with the game's announcement.

It's also why the game hasn't been promoted that much.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That is also what it comes down to. Some people were hoping that this game was more than it is, with wishes that Maiko/Barry/Tiki in Sessions indicated that they would be playable characters, when most of what one needs to know about Encore was revealed with the game's announcement.

It's also why the game hasn't been promoted that much.
If NOA's Twitter is any indication, the promotion has only begun in earnest, which makes sense for a remaster bring released next month.

I really like what I'm seeing from the new content, and I hope we get to see more.

Craig Majaski

Nov 1, 2017
Really enjoyed this game on the Wii U. I never did play any DLC. Anyone know how much DLC there was? Does it substantially add more content? Might double dip if so.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I will never not find wedding dress cosplay stuff weird in general. My main complaint is that the 20 of us who bought the original WiiU version won't get a nice hefty discount on this version of the game. I don't think it adds enough for me to want to bother

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I will never not find wedding dress cosplay stuff weird in general. My main complaint is that the 20 of us who bought the original WiiU version won't get a nice hefty discount on this version of the game. I don't think it adds enough for me to want to bother
Are video game loyalty discounts like that really a thing outside of Steam?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It would be nice if it added more, but I'm buying the Switch port more as a "voting with my wallet" gesture than anything. The game deserved better, and I'll happily support a rerelease that includes previous DLC over a rerelease that charges you a nominal fee to reactivate previously purchased overpriced DLC (and full price for that DLC if you haven't already bought it like a sucker), even if it doesn't add as much brand new stuff (which, if the new stuff is on the same platform as the old stuff, maybe should just be a DLC expansion or something...).

Nope, totally not salty about the fact that P5 Royal will probably sell way better than #FE Encore. lol

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice if it added more, but I'm buying the Switch port more as a "voting with my wallet" gesture than anything. The game deserved better, and I'll happily support a rerelease that includes previous DLC over a rerelease that charges you a nominal fee to reactivate previously purchased overpriced DLC (and full price for that DLC if you haven't already bought it like a sucker), even if it doesn't add as much brand new stuff (which, if the new stuff is on the same platform as the old stuff, maybe should just be a DLC expansion or something...).

Nope, totally not salty about the fact that P5 Royal will probably sell way better than #FE Encore. lol
Look at it thsi way. Now that it's on the Switch, Encore will probably see a larger percentage jump in sales over the original release than Royal will see compared to vanilla P5. :P

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very excited for this but then KH3 REmind just had to come out three days later, damn. Ah well, not complaining about having more things to look forward to :)

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Great to see them adding stuff but not reverting some of the more ridiculous alterations just screams, "we dont care." Pass for me as the original was fine enough.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Awakening actually had Tharja image in the beach DLC censored in the NA version.

Yeah, but that same beach DLC changed the models of sorcerers/dark mages to swimsuits and that was kept in the localized version, while Fates outright removed the swimsuits from the store, while not even replacing them with anything else, which left several systems of the game feeling sloppy since at several points you're supposed to get a reward by unlocking more store levels or specific swimsuits but sometimes there was nothing in the localization in spite of the game still signaling you're supposed to get something.

Last edited:

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Also, to be clear, this is revisionist history. There were many people who absolutely were not happy when Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was shown for the first time.
Absolutely, there are many Atlus fans who were and still are disappointed, outraged, and bitter over what the game was tonally versus the January 2013 Direct announcement.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Also, to be clear, this is revisionist history. There were many people who absolutely were not happy when Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was shown for the first time.
True, there were certainly many people not happy about it... but there were definitely also some who were on board with it from the get-go. I know because I was one of 'em. So I don't necessarily think it's fair to call it revisionist, maybe it's just a different perspective from someone whose social circles happened to react more favorably to it than the hardcore SMT crowd did.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
True, there were certainly many people not happy about it... but there were definitely also some who were on board with it from the get-go. I know because I was one of 'em. So I don't necessarily think it's fair to call it revisionist, maybe it's just a different perspective from someone whose social circles happened to react more favorably to it than the hardcore SMT crowd did.
Saying "everyone was happy" definitely is. Some were screaming "Persona!" in horror, not enthusiasm.

But yes, there were also several people who were happy at what they saw. But it wasn't a vocal minority who were complaining about it; we saw it both from Japan and the West, in forums and through things like the dislikes on the first two PVs.

Like, this game has weird controversy surrounding it through so many angles. It's part of why it sold so poorly on the Wii U, and also part of why I'm starting to think it's not going to do so hot on the Switch, either.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not just the hardcore SMT crowd though, remember this was coming off of Awakening and Fates was in parallel to it, which many FE fans felt were too pandering to having waifus. So, both SMT fans that hate Persona and FE fans that hated Awakening/Fates were upset with it. Ironically enough, it was TMS#FE's reveal in early 2015 that got me more interested in the Megami Tensei series in the first place, and thus I got Persona 4 and Nocturne on the same day not too long after. Oh, and I also didn't get my first FE game until 2016 myself.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Saying "everyone was happy" definitely is. Some were screaming "Persona!" in horror, not enthusiasm.

But yes, there were also several people who were happy at what they saw. But it wasn't a vocal minority who were complaining about it; we saw it both from Japan and the West, in forums and through things like the dislikes on the first two PVs.

Like, this game has weird controversy surrounding it through so many angles. It's part of why it sold so poorly on the Wii U, and also part of why I'm starting to think it's not going to do so hot on the Switch, either.
People have had time to digest wha this game is, and it's not on the Wii U. It may never be a smash hit, but it stands a fair chance of selling significantly better on its second go-around despite people still feeling bitter about it. Yeah, there will always be the "Censorship!!1" whiners, who are and continue to be clowns, but like, if someone's issue with the game in 2015 was that it isn't Nocturne Grimdark with the Demi-Fiend tearing Marth a new asshole...well, get over that? It's not the game that some people dreamed of, but it's still a high-quality game and has one of the best battle systems Atlus ever devised.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not just the hardcore SMT crowd though, remember this was coming off of Awakening and Fates was in parallel to it, which many FE fans felt were too pandering to having waifus. So, both SMT fans that hate Persona and FE fans that hated Awakening/Fates were upset with it. Ironically enough, it was TMS#FE's reveal in early 2015 that got me more interested in the Megami Tensei series in the first place, and thus I got Persona 4 and Nocturne on the same day not too long after. Oh, and I also didn't get my first FE game until 2016 myself.

I fall more into that first camp you described, but I don't hate Persona or Awakening/Fates. But it's not the direction I'd want either series to go in after being a fan for so long, and this game swerved that way HARD. Like unexpectedly hard, given the slower trajectory both series are taking toward this inevitability.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People have had time to digest wha this game is, and it's not on the Wii U. It may never be a smash hit, but it stands a fair chance of selling significantly better on its second go-around despite people still feeling bitter about it. Yeah, there will always be the "Censorship!!1" whiners, who are and continue to be clowns, but like, if someone's issue with the game in 2015 was that it isn't Nocturne Grimdark with the Demi-Fiend tearing Marth a new asshole...well, get over that? It's not the game that some people dreamed of, but it's still a high-quality game and has one of the best battle systems Atlus ever devised.
Hmm, well I guess it depends. I'm still wondering where SMTV is, but I guess the assurance that it is even coming may be enough to convince the previous SMT fans to get it. As for Fire Emblem, I think it's not an issue as clearly the newer breed dwarfs the traditionalists in size (I guess Persona is bigger than SMT too but the question is if enough Persona fans would be willing to try this out considering its Nintendo exclusivity). But surely not every Switch game can be a hit, right? Like I assume there's got to be a point where something doesn't take off on Switch like every game seemingly has.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019

I took it more to mean that, from their perspective, it seemed like everyone was happy about it at the time... which I think is totally fair, I doubt they're on a mission to try and convince people that actually everybody loved it.

A lot of people were just dipping their toes into the series for the first time via Persona 4 Golden (or perhaps the anime or spinoff titles), and probably weren't heavily exposed to the negative opinions of the hardcore SMT or FE communities. I think it's fair to assume that if someone was only entrenched in the Persona fandom, the perceived response to TMS would be mostly positive.

While the FE community did have a negative opinion of waifu pandering at the time of Tokyo Mirage Session's reveal, I don't think it was until Fates released that they began to truly resent Awakening for the waifu path it put the series on. (Which iirc occurred after Tokyo Mirage Sessions was unveiled, the western release of Fates at least)

That said, I do remember the reaction to TMS on Serenes Forest being generally (though not universally) negative... but it was much more mild than the SMT community, I think. Pessimistic, but not vitriolic.

Jan 2, 2018
I just realized that if you read the abbreviation of Tokyo Mirage Session (TMS) backwards you get the one for Shin Megami Tensei (SMT)...and that the hashtag is like a cross...so there is Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem (FE) in the title and I never noticed it...

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just realized that if you read the abbreviation of Tokyo Mirage Session (TMS) backwards you get the one for Shin Megami Tensei (SMT)...and that the hashtag is like a cross...so there is Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem (FE) in the title and I never noticed it...
While not for this game in particular, I'm sure all of us have had moments like this.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not a hashtag, it's a sharp because of the musical notation

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I really wish this had the Dragon Quest XI treatment of a full dub. I'm a bit on the fence about that. Younger me loved authentic sub, older me has poor eye site and is spoiled on modern localization in games like FE Three Houses.

I may just get it anyways, but still.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Absolutely, there are many Atlus fans who were and still are disappointed, outraged, and bitter over what the game was tonally versus the January 2013 Direct announcement.

Case in point from TGA's dream announcement thread:
The real Fire Emblem X SMT strategy rpg.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Maybe the people who want an SMT strategy game should, I dunno, play the Devil Survivor spinoffs which are exactly that... they just don't have that FE crossover fanservice goodness.

I'd rather have a Fire Emblem RPG, tbh... and Tokyo Mirage Sessions is closer to that

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Edit: Weird, they took down the original tweet and reposted it 10 mins later. Fixed.

Last edited: