Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Honestly the worst part about losing Twitter is being unable to follow actors and writers who work in tokusatsu. Huge portions of the Japanese entertainment industry post on Twitter and often we get interesting trivia or news from that. I can't imagine any site will replace that.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Geats 42

Initially, I was frustrated that Ace saved Daichi, but after another observation, it's obvious that Kekera is a bigger threat, and he was using both Daichi and Keiwa to fulfill his demented comic book fantasy. Keiwa has fallen completely thanks to him.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Geats 42

Initially, I was frustrated that Ace saved Daichi, but after another observation, it's obvious that Kekera is a bigger threat, and he was using both Daichi and Keiwa to fulfill his demented comic book fantasy. Keiwa has fallen completely thanks to him.

A bit hypocritical from Ace asthough j he helped Michinaga kill Chirami. As incompetent and unempathetic as Chirami may have been, he was nowhere near as malicious (or dangerous) as Daichi is. Though this is presumably due to the fact that Ace himself doesn't want Keiwa to fall to darkness any further than he already has, despite the fact that Daichi has killed multiple people by this point.
Not sure if Keiwa can come back from this as he helped make Tsumuri suffer a lot....but his final form is one of the best in Rider.

Also Michinaga trying to do good.....a bit too late considering all the shit he did.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
A bit hypocritical from Ace asthough j he helped Michinaga kill Chirami. As incompetent and unempathetic as Chirami may have been, he was nowhere near as malicious (or dangerous) as Daichi is. Though this is presumably due to the fact that Ace himself doesn't want Keiwa to fall to darkness any further than he already has, despite the fact that Daichi has killed multiple people by this point.
Not sure if Keiwa can come back from this as he helped make Tsumuri suffer a lot....but his final form is one of the best in Rider.

Also Michinaga trying to do good.....a bit too late considering all the shit he did.

I was thinking maybe Ace needed Daichi to cure the victims of the Jyamato parasites.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Shin Kamen Rider on weekend. It's certainly a movie that left a strong impression, even with (or because of?) it's Annoisms. It was a great experience, I'm glad I can watch it in theatre.

And with that, all the global Kamen Rider 50th anniversary projects (Shin, Fuuto PI, Black Sun) have come and gone. No other global projects have been announced to date.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Geats 43 preview

Apparently, Keiwa made a wish from The Monkey's Paw.

Also, TimeFire is becoming a Rider.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
10 episodes left of Abaranger then I'm gonna catch up on Geats (like 8 episodes behind) and will probably take a break from weekly Rider after that. Reiwa Rider has left me feeling lukewarm overall, unfortunately, and after watching Geats and Revice weekly I am probably gonna skip Gotchard or at least wait to see if a consensus has formed on whether or not it's a must-see.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
watching 70s and 80s toku, villain groups ran deep. Like they be 10 people and their personal henchmen in the big bad room

Dec 30, 2020
watching 70s and 80s toku, villain groups ran deep. Like they be 10 people and their personal henchmen in the big bad room

View: https://youtu.be/Jp3tIWfCDzk?t=214

The big bad, his chief henchman, his fail-son, his spooky wife, his side-piece bird lady, his back-up dancers, the caterers, the mooks, the mooks who are only mooking today because they know it's a party and there's booze...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just saw the English dub trailer for Blazar which reminded me it starts this weekend, I'm hype and hopefully this results in me finally starting some of the shows in my backlog too. The lead dub casting is cracking me up tho, they definitely got someone who loves Toku and anime XD. Freakin Johnny Yong Bosch

Edit: you know what would make for a fun anthology setup for like a web series Ultraman? One that's set from the perspective of deep space astronauts sharing the story of the legend of the mysterious beings of light that keep saving them. No host required, and they could even do some returning Ultramen with the setup being the discrepancies in description is cause they've seen different ones on patrol. Of course this would have to be a timeline where earth has achieved deep space travel yet monsters never reached earth, so that might be a stretch.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Finished Abaranger. Overall I felt some elements were undercooked and IMO Arakawa's later Sentai have a stronger group dynamic, but it was still a fun show with one of the all time greats in Abarekiller.

Think my next one will be Go-Busters.

Vin-yl

Jan 13, 2023
I've started Revice today. Yo, Minoru Suzuki in the first episode! That got a pop out of me

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
PIcked up basically all the existing DX mecha from King Ohger (missing the snail and pill bug) from Japanese TRU. Even though they are really cheating counting things like the ant and ladybugs in their combiner count, I really like the toys, finally adding in decent articulation last year really helped (ankle tilts!). But I am a little concerned about the merch numbers so far, hopefully that picks up (I guess it also hurts that there's no collectible in the roleplay stuff).

I guess it's fortunate that we were behind in our King Ohger watching and hadn't seen Jeremy yet or we would have been tempted to get all his roleplay toys while we were there.

I am kind of dreading the shipping cost when the next mech comes out though.

On a side note, they didn't have any of the newer Geats toys... I couldn't tell if it's because it's so popular that they just sold out, or if they just didn't stock it. The original driver and the driver + zombie were on sale though.

Dec 30, 2020
Okay so... Last guess for Gotchard.

I think... They're a blacksmith.

And I'm guessing the theme song will be something like, "Strike While the Metal is Hot."

Vin-yl

Jan 13, 2023
There's a toku-inspired Character in Brawlhalla now. Called Red Raptor. Even has a special where he rides a bike.

latest
Poor guy wants to be a Rider so bad. Look up his article on the KR Fandom wiki. He's been cockblocked multiple times due to unfortunate circumstances.
Isn't he a massive fan of Kabuto?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Looking forward to watching it tomorrow… but how do you switch to the English dub on YouTube?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
looks like there's some technical issue so the dub isn't available yet. I assume it'll just be under the language options of the video when they get it figured out.
Ah ok. Well I'll be doing it on the tv app so that might help. I know the mobile browser doesn't play nice with that feature. Tho worse case maybe they'll list it separately like Z

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely strong first episode of Ultraman Blazar. Heavy military sci-fi vibes, pretty tense for what it is, wonderful costumes, just fantastic from top to bottom. Might immediately rewatch the English dub.

I love that Ultraman is a giant weird screaming dude who rips monsters' limbs off.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
looks like there's some technical issue so the dub isn't available yet. I assume it'll just be under the language options of the video when they get it figured out.

Ah ok. Well I'll be doing it on the tv app so that might help. I know the mobile browser doesn't play nice with that feature. Tho worse case maybe they'll list it separately like Z

FYI the dub is available now. Just about to start watching it myself!

Vin-yl

Jan 13, 2023
My mind is kinda blown that I am watching a new toku, on release day, on youtube as an official upload with official subtitles. And I could even watch it with an official English dub! That's insane.

I think it was a solid debut episode. I always enjoy the sci fi feel of Ultraman and the military aspect works great as well.

However the fighting between Ultraman and Kaiju could never win me over. Destroying the sets is awesome, I cannot deny that. But the actual hand to hand combat? I always zone out during em. Ripping parts of a Kaiju was pretty sick though, not gonna lie.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Seriously underwhelmed by the Blazar premier - the way they handled the story was interesting, what with it taking place in real(ish) time, but the dialogue was flatter than cardboard and the pacing was all over the place. Blazar's introduction was cool, but the fight was overlong and the choreography lacking. Whoever decided Blazar should sound like an old man struggling to poop also needs a good talking to. I wouldn't say it was crushing disappointment, and I hope the show can develop into something more compelling, but I was not impressed.

Still, major props to Tsuburaya for putting this thing up on YouTube day 1, with so many options.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Blazar is caveman Ultraman, he will rip off body parts, he will scream the Kaiju into stepping back, he will jump up a building and hang like he was King Kong, and just keep screaming and fighting more wildly than normal Ultramen.

That being said, story wise we got...little aside from knowing that Kaijus are a constant threat, Ultraman was already known to exist and...personality wise i guess the captain is one of those that doesn't leave their men behind and...that's it, this has to be a record for least personality given to human characters in the first episode of any Ultraman series.

Like, he's a generic good captain and that's really it, and i guess one of his men is the smart one or the most informed one because fuck me if i can say who the others are, at this point if you put me a photo of everyone, i don't think i could distinguish who the newbie even is.

This was all about showing how humans tend to fight Kaijus and Blazar's first appearance on Earth to fight.