Jan 20, 2023
ps1 and ps2 era was a bit wild west fps wise, stuff was very much unlocked and kind of definitely clearly targetting 60 for the most part, barely anytrhing was like "lets target 30 and lock that in", but plenty of stuff just ran like shit and was down in the 20s and 30s anyway

the idea of "a locked 30fps is good, actually" didn't really start until ps3/x360

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Recommended specs are not high.
but it can, look at the requirements, and you can change your settings on pc to make it run at 60fps.

The whole CPU heavy argument makes no sense to me since the pc recommended requirements are pretty low, the cpu in series x and series s is better.

The thing about the recommended specs shared now is that no target is also outlined. So it's just a wait and see and we have to accept the news.
I think it's feasible also, but not at day one. This project will clearly be built upon throughout updates so who knows how far they can stretch it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of "a locked 30fps is good, actually" didn't really start until ps3/x360
Yes and no. The other big problem during that era is that most games couldn't actually hit 30. That's why people have such a bad taste in their mouth over "30fps" that was never actually 30. We didn't really start seeing smooth 30fps until PS4/XBO era.

Also, I just want to point out how funny it is that this thread has almost the same number of posts as the main discussion thread.

May 29, 2023
This doesn't seem an intentionally nefarious choice considering the scope. It probably wasn't decided with ease, knowing the blowback they'd receive. However, Bethesda gets a lot of criticism for game performance quality. With some lovingly referring to Bethesda "jank" endearingly. This seems like an effort to address less than stellar performance history.

Is it possible an update could be available at a later point for 60FPS, even if Bethesda can't guarantee it would be sustained?

laughingmood

Apr 29, 2018
Not unexpected, but still disappointing. As someone who doesn't game on PC, and was looking to buy a Series X to play this, this keeps me firmly in the "not playing" for a few years, whether that be waiting to buy a pro system that can run this at 60 or me finally getting around to getting a gaming PC. If it was on a system I own, I'd be fine playing it at 30, but I'm not buying a new system for it.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
Not surprised but still disappointed. I have my doubts this will run at a consistent 30 fps as well. Will try it out though.

May 29, 2023
I love how ya'll think you're spouting some technical know-how when you're just making fools of yourselves.
I don't think an explanation should be confused with an endorsement.

I'm sure if Bethesda could guarantee 60FPS they would. There's no logical reason why Bethesda would decide to hamper their game intentionally. What is the benefit of instigating conflict with prospective players?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I haven't seen one game developer in this thread say some stupid shit like 'maybe they're targeting 30fps on PC'
'maybe they're targeting 30fps on PC =/= minimum system requirements won't necessarily get you a 60fps experience even at low settings

Which isn't uncontroversial. At all. Do you even play games on a PC? Have you ever? Like damn lmao, you're acting the fool. It's like you're allergic to walking away from an argument.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Does MS have a "if both consoles can't run 60fps, neither can" mandate for their studios? Seems odd that they can't at least crank down settings and go for 1080p60, Redfall had other issues but curiously they didn't have a performance mode there either

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I wished higher fps was pushed more than resolution. I would be fine with a 1080, 60ps version rather than a 4k, 30.
I'm trying to decide on whether to get this on Series X or have it run on my 2060.. which doesn't even meet recommended specs (everything else does just not the GPU..) Would I even be able to hit 60fps if I can't meet recommended?
If the game is CPU bound at 4k, which seems to be the case, then it will run at exactly the same FPS whether the rendering resolution is 3840x2160 or 320x240. If you're looking at the middle of a city and the CPU is limiting the framerate to 35 FPS and you bring down the resolution to literal 240p, it will still run at exactly 35 FPS.

Other settings such as LODs and NPC draw distance could affect CPU performance, but there's a good chance that bringing those down enough to make it run at 60 FPS on console would make the game look unacceptably bad

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
'maybe they're targeting 30fps on PC =/= minimum system requirements won't necessarily get you a 60fps experience even at low settings

Which isn't uncontroversial. At all. Do you even play games on a PC? Have you ever lmao?

Like holy shit lmao, you're acting the fool. It's like you're allergic to walking away from an argument.

I'm directly referring to their recommended PC specs here. You think recommended specs for PC are generally for 30fps?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Does MS have a "if both consoles can't run 60fps, neither can" mandate for their studios? Seems odd that they can't at least crank down settings and go for 1080p60, Redfall had other issues but curiously they didn't have a performance mode there either
don't they both have the same CPU? or is series x a bit beefier?
the 30fps lock for both would make sense if it's cpu bound (as suspected), and they have the both cpu

Jan 20, 2023
this is all moot anyway

its a todd howard game

being at a stable 30fps or not is going to be the least of it's problems, lets be honest.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
We got any examples of this being the case....cause I'm coming up dry....
Recently the recommended specs for Forspoken on PC were for 30fps. Only the specs for Ultra were for 60.
It really isn't unheard of.

forspoken_pc_system_requirements.jpg

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Well no shit. Anyone expecting 60fps games this entire gen on consoles were fooling themselves. Especially with a game like this

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
yeah the trend towards 30fps is actually a far more modern thing, x360 generation onwards especially, when the move away from analog output became the standard.

This really isn't true, but I think it's something younger people assume is true when they hear how older games "always" ran at 60/50hz. It's not a factor of the differences between analog vs. digital signals, either.

It's easiest to see in the PC space (due to the variation in hardware) but even on consoles, outside of careful planning in sprite-based games (which normally experienced slowdown/flicker rather than framerate drops), it was common enough to see low framerates even before even the 32/64-bit console era. Early use of polygonal 3D elements commonly targeted things like 12 fps, 15 fps, 20 fps, and 30 fps (and frequently dropped below those targets anyway). You'll notice those all divide cleanly into 60, which is why they were good choices for NTSC 60hz displays. We're talking late-80s and certainly in the 90s where you'd see those kinds of targets pretty frequently.

Software has always used this kind of performance trade-off as a solution to delivering something novel/complex within finite rendering resources.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
don't they both have the same CPU? or is series x a bit beefier?
It's slightly beefier on X but the main difference which would justify S running at 30 instead of X running at 60 would be either the GPU or most likely the memory bandwidth which is SIGNIFICANTLY lower on S compared to X.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
While there isn't anything wrong with 30fps, I've been loving TotK on Switch, I guess it's more of a disappointment when it's running on a 12TF console.

It will be pretty funny if someone makes a MOD to make it run at 60fps though.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I never really considered this game running at 60fps on console, it's a complex open world game that is current gen only.

this isn't a redfall 'this shit doesn't really make sense' situation.

regardless, a 30fps (at best) first person shooter can be a rough sell to a lot people these days. for good reason. it's more unpleasant on OLED too.

FlowingThot

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 1, 2023
Recently the recommended specs for Forspoken on PC were for 30fps. Only the specs for Ultra were for 60.
It really isn't unheard of.
Yeah this is the one I was thinking of recently.

The original post being that the Series X has a much better CPU than the recommended settings of the PC is also completely false. Starfield PC recommended is a 3600x. Series X has a cut down 3600x with a lot less L3 cache and lower clock speeds.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm directly referring to their recommended PC specs here. You think recommended specs for PC are generally for 30fps?
Recommended specs don't have an explicit FPS target, and plenty of intensive or ambitious games tend to run at less than 60fps at medium or even low settings with recommended specs. This game is proooobably not another Crysis or RDR2 (which, for the record, are games that barely hit 30fps at medium 1080p w/recommended specs, and which won't hit a stable 60fps at low settings on the same hardware), but Bethesda games have a history of being particularly CPU-heavy, and I don't see how it's hard to believe that a game with this many underlying systems eating up CPU cycles might not run at a stable 60fps on console CPUs. As disappointing as that is, and believe me, I'm stlll 60fps or bust.

I'm hoping that changes, but I'm not convinced that it's just a case of them 'not optimizing' or not hitting the 60fps button or whatever other reason has been put forward that makes any sense compared to the ideas put forward by those of us who have had direct hands on experience playing and tweaking BGS games on PC. There are times when Bethesda games from 10 years ago drop framerate on my PC if a little too much is going on or if I mod even a bit more complexity into the games than they originally had.

Anyway, my point is that, yeah, when it comes to particularly ambitious games, recommended specs often aren't enough to guarantee 60fps. Nothing controversial about that.

Edit: OK I came at you too hard, I'm being an asshole. Sorry about that. Topics like these get me heated, but it comes down to me justifying being a dick because I disagree and I'm trying to, uh, not do that. I'm just gonna walk away, you feel how you wanna feel, that's your perogative.

Last edited:

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we get an unlocked framerate toggle for VRR displays. Not only would it help with the current consoles but for future consoles as well.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
Not surprised. A 300 dollar box playing a game this size at 1440/30 is the real surprise here lol

I think the dynamic res is going to be agressive

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
the pc cpu recommended requirements don't indicate this.

I'm thinking, like you said, they want this to be a graphical showcase and 30fps is required to maintain the fidelity we saw in the showcase ( it does look amazing).
It is probably maxing out both to some degree. Bethesda games are notoriously heavy on the CPU and I've doubt that has changed.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Recommended specs don't have an explicit FPS target, and plenty of intensive or ambitious games tend to run at less than 60fps at medium or even low settings with recommended specs. This game is proooobably not another Crysis or RDR2 (which, for the record, are games that barely hit 30fps at medium 1080p w/recommended specs, and which won't hit a stable 60fps at low settings on the same hardware), but Bethesda games have a history of being particularly CPU-heavy, and I don't see how it's hard to believe that a game with this many underlying systems eating up CPU cycles might not run at a stable 60fps on console CPUs. As disappointing as that is, and believe me, I'm stlll 60fps or bust.

I'm hoping that changes, but I'm not convinced that it's just a case of them 'not optimizing' or not hitting the 60fps button or whatever other reason has been put forward that makes any sense compared to the ideas put forward by those of us who have had direct hands on experience playing and tweaking BGS games on PC. There are times when Bethesda games from 10 years ago drop framerate on my PC if a little too much is going on or if I mod even a bit more complexity into the games than they originally had.

Anyway, my point is that, yeah, when it comes to particularly ambitious games, recommended specs often aren't enough to guarantee 60fps. Nothing controversial about that.

Particularly ambitious games carry that ambition into the recommended specs. If it's heavily CPU bound why would they recommend a rather weak CPU? Again, this isn't minimum specs. This is what Bethesda recommends to have a great experience on PC.

They put out a video a few days ago essentially saying it's been fixed.

Ah good to know. Maybe worth picking up on sale in the future.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Lol at all the posters echoing "it's CPU bound!!!" Like that's a reason it can't hit 60.

Many complex games have released and ran at 60. I promise the Bethesda game isn't a one in a million.

Because it most likely is CPU bound, and I look forward to the game coming out so that can be made more clear. If it weren't CPU bound, you'd see a 1440p performance mode on series X. Why would they lock the game to 4K 30 otherwise?

Many "complex games" like what? Not every "complex" game stresses the system in the same way.