Do you agree with this notion?

• Yes

Votes: 247 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 393 61.4%

• Total voters

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
My only opinion is that I really love reading Time Extension. They're a really cool website that aligns with a lot of my interests, and I wish them the best of luck out there.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Disagree heavily, as whilst I actually would give the Virtual Boy credit towards modern VR, it is so clearly many many more steps removed in vision and implementation than either of the Sega examples provided above. Hell, Xbox Live is practically directly born out of SegaNet's ashes, and is literally one step removed in terms of evolution, existing in literally the same generation. That's nothing like the million micro-steps and decades between Virtual Boy and current day VR.
Virtual boy has literally nothing to do in its released form with any iteration of VR
We had VR in the 90s btw and it looked like this
vr-in-the-90s-was-wild-v0-rfvbrrbvl97c1.jpeg

It didn't play well (oh lord it really didn't)
it looked butt ugly but it was still VR.
Virtual Boy is closer to table top Switch than VR.
Don't mind me at all...it's all good. Enjoy your posting!
Statistically speaking Saturn was barely present compared to the overwhelming playstation that released at a lower price with a better product.
Like good for you if that's your case but making a claim that Saturn was this important when the direct competitor literally swamped the very same market to the point that it makes competition look like footnotes is extremely funny.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely agree with the idea that Nintendo receives disproportionate focus when talking about the history of the medium. PC, arcade, and home computer games tend to be glossed over.

However, this article is literally just rambling about some scattered tweets.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I play retro games often on a variety of platforms, and at least in terms of what's still fun to play in 2024... Nintendo clears a lot of other devs at the time (80s and early 90s) quite easily. Not universally, but a huge portion of the games that are still just "good" and not "you had to be there, this used to be good" are Nintendo games. Konami, Capcom, Sega, Squaresoft, Hudson, SNK, Taito and some others were quite good too. But they definitely have some "eeehhh" stuff, while Nintendo's output is very heavily in the "this is still really fun to play" category.

Like, Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid are still better than most indie games that might be compared to them. These are very late 2D-era Nintendo games, but still... plenty of the best/most loved games from other publishers feel dated now.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I think the project of this article is kinda flawed.

Yes, there are parts of video game history that aren't as widely remembered. It's because those parts of history were impactful on a relatively niche scale. And it's because many of the games in those conversations also aren't that popular or widely played today...if they're even commercially available at all.

Nintendo being so ubiquitous in cultural memory is the proof of their bigger impact.

The issue though is some of these aren't impactful on a niche level. They're the basis of stuff like World Of Warcraft, or every space sim you'll ever play. But the combined influence of various Nintendo titles become larger than the sum of their relative parts, because they can all be attributed to a still currently prominent juggernaut. Many of the individual historic games that influence countless games from their time onwards, could be the exact same game but would be far more historically cited if they weren't developed by a software house that either no longer exists, or is otherwise less publicly known today. Origin, Westwood, Core, etc contributed games that are acknowledged far less than their influential merits warrant.

However, this article is literally just rambling about some scattered tweets.

And yes, I think it's important to separate out the topic itself having merit, whilst acknowledging the article isn't really making a strong point of it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I made a somewhat similar point recently about a book that's about Rock Band/Guitar Hero and how it didn't seem like it gave any credit to the Bemani games or even PaRappa. Without those, I feel like games such as Amplitude and the aforementioned music games wouldn't even exist, at least not the form that they took. If it does, that's great, but I didn't see it in the crowdfunding campaign. It comes across as Harmonix is responsible for the whole idea/genre, which just rubbed me the wrong way, which again, could be overblown/inaccurate. Maybe that's kinda like this, I don't know.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The issue though is some of these aren't impactful on a niche level. They're the basis of stuff like World Of Warcraft, or every space sim you'll ever play. But the combined influence of various Nintendo titles become larger than the sum of their relative parts, because they can all be attributed to a still currently prominent juggernaut. Many of the individual historic games that influence countless games from their time onwards, could be the exact same game but would be far more historically cited if they weren't developed by a software house that either no longer exists, or is otherwise less publicly known today. Origin, Westwood, Core, etc contributed games that are acknowledged far less than their influential merits warrant.
I think I get why that argument doesn't really fly to me.
Like sure let's take at face value that Nintendo is less impactful because of prior examples existing.
Why would you choose to pick World of Warcraft when you have other earlier games that do most of what that game do but worse.
Like if Mario 64 isn't important because Battle Command on Atari exists,
it stand to reason to not pick something like WoW when you have the Ultima Onlines of the world that predate WoW by decades in some case.
Why is Croc even important when we have earlier games that were more popular even?

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When people say this, I think of the fact that this post is I believe the 5th(!) mention of the Super A'Can on this site. And how it can be boiled down by most as a footnote of "it had a sonic ripoff and a bomberman clone" to a lot who cover it.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
When people say this, I think of the fact that this post is I believe the 5th(!) mention of the Super A'Can on this site. And how it can be boiled down by most as a footnote of "it had a sonic ripoff and a bomberman clone" to a lot who cover it.
Don't mind me, I'm adding this context for the Super A'Can

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycy861t9m_A

Seriously Taiwan's gaming history is absolutely fascinating.

I would also for anyone to explain why a shitload of hardware use the same connector as the Megadrive for controllers,
it's great because when it's compatible you can get a decent controller (Sega's) instead of whatever the fuck they were going for
but it's weird though.

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I thought this was going to be about preservation.

I'd say no, but it will just always seems that way because of the outsized success of their games combined with how long they've been doing it. No different than other mediums having big directors or artists who get all the glory when there are others who did the same and maybe even better at the same time, but didn't blow up.

Folks like Richard Spector or Fumito Ueda are just as important but you won't find most people who play games, even console/PC games knowing who they are.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like we've actually had the reverse start to happen where people overcorrected and started to downplay Nintendo in gaming history.

I would be very interested to see this argument substantiated.

They're not wrong though. Even remotely attributing games like Virtua Fighter to the Saturn's relative popularity is exactly the sort of thing that causes the influence of the titles to be underrepresented. How many people played the Saturn version means nothing. The game could have existed as only an arcade title at all and it's influence would be tremendous. In one single game the entire foundations that still apply to every traditional fighting game was formulated. And that game was a phenomenon regardless of Sega console space woes. The over-attribution of the console market in gaming history because it is the current surviving standard is arguably the root cause of many of the most (still) influential games of all time not being given their proper due.
I've spoken at length regarding Virtua Fighter's individual influence in the past, and so will just copy in from a previous post rather than type out again from scratch.

No... this isn't how being influential works. You don't just get to say "3D fighters would've happened regardless" to dismiss a game's influence. You could make such ridiculously dismissive arguments about any aspect of any game, and that would include anything you'd credit Mortal Kombat for introducing. Mortal Kombat is hugely popular, but within the fighting game genre the fact that it itself is based on Street Fighter, and Street Fighter still to this day remains the most influential 2D fighter in existence, means Mortal Kombat quite frankly doesn't have enough oxygen left in the room to be as influential to the genre, unless it were able to de-establish much of what Street Fighter had ingrained into the genre. Additional modes, and story presentation are definitely worthy of praise.. but when talking genre influence, stuff like that sits well below fundamental mechanics that establish how a game itself plays. Street Fighter is the undisputed king when it comes to establishing the legacy of how a 2D fighter plays. There is a very clear pre/post line for before and after Street Fighter (especially Street Fighter 2). For 3D, Virtua Fighter is that game.. and here's why:

I actually don't disagree with you that a 3D polygonal fighter was going go happen sooner rather than later regardless of if Virtua Fighter existed or not. But that's unimportant, because being a fighter with 3D graphics never automatically would have meant being a fighter with any similarity to Virtua Fighter. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, King of Fighters, Marvel vs Capcom, etc... all of these are now using 3D graphics, but they are still classed as being 2D fighters despite that. Why is that?... It's because their gameplay mechanics are still derived directly from Street Fighter's 2D heritage, just with a 3D presentation layer on top. And that is actually the safest, most logical progression for what an early 3D fighting game would be back in 1993 at the height of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat's popularity. But what we refer to as 3D fighters today DON'T look or play anything like that. They look and play like Virtua Fighter, because rather than just be a traditional fighting game of the time, but this time with 3D polygons, Virtua Fighter instead redefined what it meant to be a fighting game entirely, along with bringing 3D graphics to the table.

The number of mechanics Virtua Fighter lays claim to is basically impossible to list out, because it started from ground zero and established pretty much all of them. The new ground game that is standard to 3D fighters, with rising kicks, ground pounds, rolls, etc... none of this was part of the established fighting game template prior. The move away from "special moves" and jump ins, to instead have an entire command list of moves that were considered hierarchically even and situational to create a fully developed ground game. Your physical position in the arena carrying more weight beyond the old "trapped in the corner", with stuff like ring out potentially costing you a round regardless of current health. Feigning an attack by cancelling it after it's initiation. Strings executing regardless of if contact is made with the opponent or if you're just whiffing the entire string. String mixups where the command list is full of strings with branching paths. Running based on distance from opponent (as opposed to just forward and back dashes). Back facing attacks (and a turn around game in general). Throws being height specific. End of round replays from different angles.

If I were to sit here for longer I'd probably just continue coming up with stuff that's considered entirely standard today in a 3D fighter, that cannot be automatically assumed would have been the case regardless if a team with less creative vision had instead made "Street Fighter 2 but in 3D" and become a worldwide phenomenon with that game instead. Virtua Fighter influences EVERY game in the 3D fighter subgenre, because it literally created that subgenre and all the base rules it operates on. And unlike something like Karate Champ, it did it with such incredible competency right out of the gate, that the blueprint didn't need to be significantly redefined by any other game afterwards. But you know... that's not even where it's influence ends. We can also look at some of the more miscellaneous aspects of the genre that it impacted in ways we accept as standard today.

- You know how in 2D fighters, when you pick the same character, and the 2nd player is a palette swapped version of the 1st player? Yea... well Virtua Fighter didn't do that. It gave the 2nd player a different outfit entirely. Thus bringing alternate outfits to fighters

- Virtua Fighter 4 introduced the card system and VF.Net, which basically introduced everything we accept as the standard for fighters in todays online landscape... including:

- Character customisations. Taking alternate costumes a step further, you could now win items to decorate and personalise your character with

- Ranking battle and titles. Ranks, promotion matches, etc... yup, this is where they're from... EVEN IN THE SINGLEPLAYER QUEST MODE... So yea, singleplayer content indeed

- In depth training mode. Not just a mode where you beat up a dummy whilst checking your command list. A real training mode, that covers the various gameplay mechanics from a beginner to intermediate level, with trials and such.

Each Virtua Fighter innovated the genre in ways that many other 3D fighters would learn from. VF2 with its unique throw escape animations for every breakable throw and the addition of secondary "kata" intros. Virtua Fighter 3 for realistic fully 3D arenas and a dedicated dodge mechanic (later refined to more resemble Tekken's take on it). But Virtua Fighter 4... Virtua Fighter 4 with VF.Net established basically everything online fighters now do as standard. So yes, Virtua Fighter is still influencing games today. It's impossible for it not to, because to be a 3D fighter and not be influenced by Virtua Fighter is like being a 3D action game without being influenced by Ocarina of Time. It's basically not possible.

Now I don't wanna read any more Virtua Fighter disrespect in this thread. Thank you for your time.

Bringing Saturn's popularity into the discussion when talking about Virtua Fighter's influence implies a fundamental misunderstanding about game being "influential" as opposed to just "popular".

Virtual boy has literally nothing to do in its released form with any iteration of VR
We had VR in the 90s btw and it looked like this
vr-in-the-90s-was-wild-v0-rfvbrrbvl97c1.jpeg

It didn't play well (oh lord it really didn't)
it looked butt ugly but it was still VR.
Virtual Boy is closer to table top Switch than VR.

Virtual Boy represents one of the first attempts at consumer level VR at home. That it was fucking awful at it, and a complete failure does not eliminate it from the VR history timeline. It just lessens it's impact and placement within it.

But this is basically my point. Virtual Boy does not resemble today's modern VR because it was far too primitive an implementation to. Comparatively Sega Channel and SegaNet are far more representative of what both gaming subscription services and online gaming services of the current day would be. They were relatively close to the final solution.

I think I get why that argument doesn't really fly to me.
Like sure let's take at face value that Nintendo is less impactful because of prior examples existing.
Why would you choose to pick World of Warcraft when you have other earlier games that do most of what that game do but worse.
Like if Mario 64 isn't important because Battle Command on Atari exists,
it stand to reason to not pick something like WoW when you have the Ultima Onlines of the world that predate WoW by decades in some case.
Why is Croc even important when we have earlier games that were more popular even?

You may want to reread. I said the "basis" of games like World Of Warcraft. I used a modern game to demonstrate how the influence on gaming today is not "niche" or small. Roguelikes are hardly a niche or small segment of modern gaming, but the historical representation for Rogue absolutely is. Were it not for the name of the game being part of the subgenre label there's a very real chance that I myself would not know what Rogue is, because for all the gaming media I consume, and all the gaming discussion communities I've been a part of over the years, essentially nobody would have ever passed this historical knowledge down onto me without me actively going to search for it. Conversely I never have to search for any of Nintendo's historical impacts, because they're all repeatedly reinforced within any discussion remotely connected to gaming history. This is the point I'm trying to make, and I hope I've made it more understandable in this post and less likely to be misinterpreted.

This isn't simply about what came first. It's about how much influence some games have carried, and how infrequently they are credited for that influence relative to similar influences in Nintendo titles.

Last edited:

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Just two video game historians I'd like to recommend for wider coverage than some are used to:
www.youtube.com

strafefox

My Youtube show called Splash Wave is focused on documenting game development during the 8bit & 16bit era of video games from a creative and technical point of view. Covering the tools, challenges and the creative solutions the developers came up with. Designing the 80s is mini series exploring...
Strafefox/Splash Wave, does excellent videos on just a variety of topics, I'd highly recommend their Streets of Rage video, and the Out Run and Space Harrier video.
www.youtube.com

Ahoy

Insightful gaming videos.
Ahoy (formerly XboxAhoy) - does a variety of videos, focused on PC games and shooters, but also many other topics. Highly recommend their Chicken-o-meter and Monkey Island videos.

But for both of these, so many of their videos are good.

rzks21

Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Absolutely. Will always recommend Felipepepe for anybody who wants a more in-depth and balanced outlook on the story of RPGs specifically.

x.com

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
But that's exactly what I'm saying: there is relatively less cultural memory of many of these games *because* they are not as widely played today. *Because* there is a relatively smaller effort to keep them relevant. They are considered a smaller part of history because their history has not been kept alive, and that's happening partly because there is not a publisher pushing them out on all modern platforms or a fanbase that's still super active today. But those are also signs of a smaller impact, not necessarily a small influence on other games but definitely a smaller one on the people playing those games.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
It's a little more complex than just a straight 'yes or no', but there is something to the idea over time things gets shorted from "SM64 was a big step in 3D game design" to "SM64 was the first 3D game (basically)". That's not to say Nintendo's landmarks/influence is overstated, but there is a lot of video game history that isn't covered nearly as much because of the American-centric coverage of a lot of game sites.

Of course some of it is simply due to how Nintendo nurtures their properties compared to most other companies too.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
They're not wrong though. Even remotely attributing games like Virtua Fighter to the Saturn's relative popularity is exactly the sort of thing that causes the influence of the titles to be underrepresented. How many people played the Saturn version means nothing. The game could have existed as only an arcade title at all and it's influence would be tremendous. In one single game the entire foundations that still apply to every traditional fighting game was formulated. And that game was a phenomenon regardless of Sega console space woes. The over-attribution of the console market in gaming history because it is the current surviving standard is arguably the root cause of many of the most (still) influential games of all time not being given their proper due.
I've spoken at length regarding Virtua Fighter's individual influence in the past, and so will just copy in from a previous post rather than type out again from scratch.
I don't think it's possible to overstate Virtua Fighter's influence on the landscape.
I would however make the claim that the Saturn could have been entirely scrapped and not much would have changed in that regard.
Also it's weird that Virtua Fighter is part of a discussion about Nintendo's influence on the industry when Virtua Fighter and Nintendo's output at the time couldn't be farther if you tried.
Like Nintendo never even tried making a 3D fighter till rather recently to begin with,
while fighters were unfathomably huge at the time.
And I mean like you have movies about video games and the only thing they show is basically a Tekken clone.
this tells that 3D fighters were so mainstream that you could convince a rando producer to finance a movie length project about it no question asked.
In short VF was hugely influential, Saturn was not.
Same with Virtua Racing and all the other racing endeavor Sega made.

Bringing Saturn's popularity into the discussion when talking about Virtua Fighter's influence implies a fundamental misunderstanding about game being "influential" as opposed to just "popular".
I mean if you are going to talk about Virtua Fighter's influence, the Saturn's part of it is a footnote more than anything.
Arcades were big back then to the point that arcade accurate port of games was a legit selling point for people to invest in a whole platform for it.
No one buying VF on Saturn would have done so without the huge impact of the arcade og.
And make no mistake while VF was influential it was also extremely popular because I don't want to even hint at the fact that these games were influential but not popular.

Virtual Boy represents one of the first attempts at consumer level VR at home. That it was fucking awful at it, and a complete failure does not eliminate it from the VR history timeline. It just lessens it's impact and placement within it.

But this is basically my point. Virtual Boy does not resemble today's modern VR because it was far too primitive an implementation to. Comparatively Sega Channel and SegaNet are far more representative of what both gaming subscription services and online gaming services of the current day would be. They were relatively close to the final solution.
To be fair Virtual Boy was godawful at most things, it didn't even release in Europe(and believe me with how long they delayed n64, they really had a window to market it).
I entirely disagree because VR already existed back then and wasn't anything like that.
It was more of an arcade experience but it was there.
VB is basically gluing a game boy screen on your head to play some game in 3D, it's really closer to 3DS than anything else.
VR history loses nothing by disregarding VB (especially when you have alternatives that were really way closer to what we think of VR).

You may want to reread. I said the "basis" of games like World Of Warcraft. I used a modern game to demonstrate how the influence on gaming today is not "niche" or small. Roguelikes are hardly a niche or small segment of modern gaming, but the historical representation for Rogue absolutely is. Were it not for the name of the game being part of the subgenre label there's a very real chance that I myself would not know what Rogue is, because for all the gaming media I consume, and all the gaming discussion communities I've been a part of over the years, essentially nobody would have ever passed this historical knowledge down onto me without me actively going to search for it. Conversely I never have to search for any of Nintendo's historical impacts, because they're all repeatedly reinforced within any discussion remotely connected to gaming history. This is the point I'm trying to make, and I hope I've made it more understandable in this post and less likely to be misinterpreted.

This isn't simply about what came first. It's about how much influence some games have carried, and how infrequently they are credited for that influence relative to similar influences in Nintendo titles.
I see what you mean but then why forget Ultima at all.
It's a whole branch of role playing that is largely ignored that is deeply influential (and it was also really popular, with rare exceptions we don't remember unpopular games at all).
Heck in that regard Nintendo basically made a few Dragon quest clones, Zelda and that's about it for their role playing endeavors.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like a big part of it is that Nintendo is still extremely prevalent as a developer today, arguably more prevalent than they were when they were releasing all their most influential games, and have never really stopped shining a light on those older games, both on the actual games themselves in directs or in their other games like Odyssey having a 64 costume. Case in point, do you even know who developed Rogue? I didn't until I just googled it, it was Epyx who went out of business in 1993. I think we see this in other areas as well, like I'd say Sega and Square Enix still get more recognition than even someone like Konami does these days as they are far more prevalent in the industry, I'd also say there is a pretty direct correlation between the decrease in shout outs Konami gets for the influence their classic titles had in the industry and them kind of self destructing a a little over a decade ago.

That is to say, I get where the article is coming from but I disagree with it's assumption that people know them because of "Nintendo youtubers" or whatever, I think it's just because Nintendo still exists, is bigger than ever, and makes a ton of effort shining a spotlight on its back catalog.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
If Youtubers are what passes for "historians" then yeah, Nintendo is wildly overrepresented. They have managed to nuture more old IPs into long-lasting relevance than anyone else, so their old games from still-relevant IPs are going to get more hits than anything else. Like everything else turned over to the capitalist hellscape, people are going to see more of what they want to see than the full picture.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this sentiment is more common now that there are so many gamers who weren't around for the NES/Famicom or SNES era?

The early years of console gaming were industry defining and if you weren't around for it, maybe you underestimate the importance of that time period and the big players at that time.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder if this sentiment is more common now that there are so many gamers who weren't around for the NES/Famicom or SNES era?

The early years of console gaming were industry defining and if you weren't around for it, maybe you underestimate the importance of that time period and the big players at that time.
People from the NES/famicon/SNES but also from US or Japan.
Again European distribution of Nintendo product was....not great to begin with.
Consoles really blew up with the OG Playstation to an extent that I don't think someone from the US can understand.
And of course there's also plenty of region specific things that is entirely lost in the loop.
From like everything to do with gaming computer in the UK to specific now defunct local companies.

Like if you listen to people online, they'll tell you Titus is just Superman 64 when it's really just their ends and they have quite a fascinating history too.
Also sometimes you have like 1 or 2 people who have strong opinion that will color the thing for all of us, like for example Zelda II or Infogrammes.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
But that's exactly what I'm saying: there is relatively less cultural memory of many of these games *because* they are not as widely played today. *Because* there is a relatively smaller effort to keep them relevant. They are considered a smaller part of history because their history has not been kept alive, and that's happening partly because there is not a publisher pushing them out on all modern platforms or a fanbase that's still super active today. But those are also signs of a smaller impact, not necessarily a small influence on other games but definitely a smaller one on the people playing those games.

I understand what you're saying but quite heavily disagree. History isn't defined by current popularity. History can be forgotten due to neglect, but that isn't a measure of it's actual impact.

Virtua Fighter isn't less impactful today because people don't shout about it with the same frequency of the average Nintendo classic. It's impossible today to create a 3D fighter without VF's impact directly influencing it, and it is not unknown by anyone who ever creates such a title. However, mainstream popularity obviously belongs to Tekken today... but Tekken's relative historical impact is microscopic in comparison to VF, and it literally always will be. But the way WE talk about games historically misattributed historical impact and importance, and replaces it with mere popularity.

We have some very true gaps in gaming history simply because we lacked the required preservation to preserve the knowledge of their existence correctly. This is especially true for genre that were born more from computers as opposed to arcades and consoles. There are games that established the very foundations of genres that are entirely lost to time, but yet their existence is why we have the genres we do today. To argue that their historical impact is now zero, because their public knowledge is now zero would strike me as being incredibly disrespectful of some of gaming history most important creations.

If for some reason we all had collective and selective amnesia tomorrow, and all forgot Virtua Fighter existed. If we still had all the 3D fighters derived from its legacy, it's importance and impact wouldn't become zero. However, the argument you're essentially putting forth is that it would, because historical impact would only be equal to how many people would still talk about it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yes and no. While the importance of what came before Nintendo can't be understated, the importance of Nintendo also can't be understated.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It is, very much so, and i think its because of their IP which is such a small part of the picture but iconic images hold people's attention. I think Sega is overshadowed big time due to most of their stuff being mid-to-gigantic failures, and classic PC gaming is generally overlooked due to how niche it was and how byzantine it can be to access some of it today.

Give us a couple more decades to widen the window of gaming history and we will rightfully start to see stuff like Sony's and Microsoft's contributions get their due respect

Virtual Boy was an awful 3DS that you stuck your face in, not early consumer VR

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
sega definitely gets downplayed at the expense of Nintendo because Nintendo "won". I think they were equally important from the late 80s until the death of the Dreamcast.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I understand what you're saying but quite heavily disagree. History isn't defined by current popularity. History can be forgotten due to neglect, but that isn't a measure of its actual impact.

Virtua Fighter isn't less impactful today because people don't shout about it with the same frequency of the average Nintendo classic. It's impossible today to create a 3D fighter without VF's impact directly influencing it, and it is not unknown by anyone who ever creates such a title. However, mainstream popularity obviously belongs to Tekken today... but Tekken's relative historical impact is microscopic in comparison to VF, and it literally always will be. But the way WE talk about games historically misattributed historical impact and importance, and replaces it with mere popularity.

We have some very true gaps in gaming history simply because we lacked the required preservation to preserve the knowledge of their existence correctly. This is especially true for genre that were born more from computers as opposed to arcades and consoles. There are games that established the very foundations of genres that are entirely lost to time, but yet their existence is why we have the genres we do today. To argue that their historical impact is now zero, because their public knowledge is now zero would strike me as being incredibly disrespectful of some of gaming history most important creations.

If for some reason we all had collective and selective amnesia tomorrow, and all forgot Virtua Fighter existed. If we still had all the 3D fighters derived from its legacy, it's importance and impact wouldn't become zero. However, the argument you're essentially putting forth is that it would, because historical impact would only be equal to how many people would still talk about it.
This article isn't arguing that Virtua Fighter had a huge influence over 3D fighters, though. It's instead making the argument that it's fair to think the influence of Mario 64 on 3D games *in general* overstated because other 3D games (including Virtua Fighter) came earlier (and existed as its contemporaries), and those games usually aren't discussed.

I think that's silly for reasons I already stated. Virtua Fighter may be extremely impactful but Mario 64's impact is felt and acknowledged by more people, which makes it a better reference point for questions as broad as the ones examined in the article. And so I'm questioning the project of the article. I'm not questioning the idea that large parts of gaming history (including many actual influences on the trajectory of game development) aren't acknowledged enough.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm not sure I understand even referencing Virtua Fighter in the context of SM64 as an influential 3D game. SM64 isn't influential because uh… it uses polygons and gameplay technically exists within a 3D space. SM64's influences are in character control systems in a 3D space, as well dynamic 3rd person camera models. Things VF… doesn't really have. There's a reason SM64 and OoT come up in developer interviews regarding something like GTA3, but not Virtua Fighter 3, and it's not a Nintendo bias.

Last edited:

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is seen more influential then first of ever in terms of their output.

Super Metroid, Earthbound, Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Donkey kong.
They ain't the first games ever in their genre, but the games that were influenced by them are far ranging.

Tandemo

Oct 28, 2017
Successful bit of clickbait from Damien.

Croc is an average game that only got the numbers it had because the PS1 had a large install base but a lack of 3D platformers around the time of its release.

It's a forgettable game that got lucky because of its release window.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's possible to overstate Virtua Fighter's influence on the landscape.
I would however make the claim that the Saturn could have been entirely scrapped and not much would have changed in that regard.
Also it's weird that Virtua Fighter is part of a discussion about Nintendo's influence on the industry when Virtua Fighter and Nintendo's output at the time couldn't be farther if you tried.
Like Nintendo never even tried making a 3D fighter till rather recently to begin with,
while fighters were unfathomably huge at the time.
And I mean like you have movies about video games and the only thing they show is basically a Tekken clone.
this tells that 3D fighters were so mainstream that you could convince a rando producer to finance a movie length project about it no question asked.
In short VF was hugely influential, Saturn was not.
Same with Virtua Racing and all the other racing endeavor Sega made.

I mean if you are going to talk about Virtua Fighter's influence, the Saturn's part of it is a footnote more than anything.
Arcades were big back then to the point that arcade accurate port of games was a legit selling point for people to invest in a whole platform for it.
No one buying VF on Saturn would have done so without the huge impact of the arcade og.
And make no mistake while VF was influential it was also extremely popular because I don't want to even hint at the fact that these games were influential but not popular.

I still think there's some parts of our discussion being lost in translation here, but to some extent I think our points (and those of who you initially quoted) are starting to converge somewhat and we're beginning to make closer to the same argument.

I think we both fully agree that Virtua Fighter was a huge deal, extremely influential on the genre both back then and still today... and more specifically that the Saturn is basically irrelevant when talking about VF's historical importance. This is kinda the initial point we were trying to make though. The historical credit Virtua Fighter is given nowadays is impacted because people talk about all games as if they are inherently just console games. Games that established their legacy in other areas of the gaming market are comparatively under addressed when talking about gaming's history.

My point isn't that Nintendo made any direct comparison to VF. It's actually the exact opposite. That there are many many hugely influential games in genres Nintendo largely had no major presence in. But despite them being just as groundbreaking and impactful in their respective genres, they receive far less historical acknowledgment for their achievements. That is imo that definition of others being under-represented relative to Nintendo.

To be fair Virtual Boy was godawful at most things, it didn't even release in Europe(and believe me with how long they delayed n64, they really had a window to market it).
I entirely disagree because VR already existed back then and wasn't anything like that.
It was more of an arcade experience but it was there.
VB is basically gluing a game boy screen on your head to play some game in 3D, it's really closer to 3DS than anything else.
VR history loses nothing by disregarding VB (especially when you have alternatives that were really way closer to what we think of VR).

Something "existing" before doesn't mean much. Virtual Boy is a VR footnote, because it solved nothing, and achieved essentially nothing. But other VR existing wouldn't negate it's impact were it to have actually managed to be impactful. VR existed long before the Oculus Rift, and I'm sure none of us here are about to question it's historic impact for VR.

I think it's important to remember, that I'm only arguing that Virtual Boy is part of consumer VR's history. I'm not arguing that it was hugely impactful, or that it contributed much at all. I agree VR loses effectively nothing if Virtual Boy didn't exist. But it did exist regardless. It just primarily only showed how far away we were from the technology being viable at home. I was actually arguing how comparatively something like SegaNet WAS impactful. Not to the extent of Xbox Live... but it very much deserves acknowledgment for it's place in online gaming history.

I see what you mean but then why forget Ultima at all.
It's a whole branch of role playing that is largely ignored that is deeply influential (and it was also really popular, with rare exceptions we don't remember unpopular games at all).
Heck in that regard Nintendo basically made a few Dragon quest clones, Zelda and that's about it for their role playing endeavors.

I specifically called it out by name alongside others like Rogue, Elite and Wizardry. I was just afterwards trying to show that the influences from the likes of Ultima and others were not limited to "niche" or small titles, and that's not the cause of them not being talked about as much.

I feel like a big part of it is that Nintendo is still extremely prevalent as a developer today, arguably more prevalent than they were when they were releasing all their most influential games, and have never really stopped shining a light on those older games, both on the actual games themselves in directs or in their other games like Odyssey having a 64 costume. Case in point, do you even know who developed Rogue? I didn't until I just googled it, it was Epyx who went out of business in 1993. I think we see this in other areas as well, like I'd say Sega and Square Enix still get more recognition than even someone like Konami does these days as they are far more prevalent in the industry, I'd also say there is a pretty direct correlation between the decrease in shout outs Konami gets for the influence their classic titles had in the industry and them kind of self destructing a a little over a decade ago.

That is to say, I get where the article is coming from but I disagree with it's assumption that people know them because of "Nintendo youtubers" or whatever, I think it's just because Nintendo still exists, is bigger than ever, and makes a ton of effort shining a spotlight on its back catalog.
sega definitely gets downplayed at the expense of Nintendo because Nintendo "won". I think they were equally important from the late 80s until the death of the Dreamcast.

This is exactly what I'm also getting at, but I feel you've both worded it in a way that's more easily understood.

This is very much a case of history being written by the victors. If Sega were the biggest console platform owner today (let's say they replace PlayStation), they would be able to more easily reinforce the knowledge of their historically important titles, and as a result those games would remain more popular in the modern landscape.

The historical impacts of certain companies are being retroactively diminished, because they have less ability to reinforce their image on the current market. Nintendo still being around and innovative should rightfully mean they're credited with a longer lineage of historically important titles. But it shouldn't be diminishing the importance of all their competitors so that two games released in the same year that were 50:50 in terms of impact on a genre are instead portrayed more like 85:15.

I would actually argue that the more recently born you are, and the first away from the era of the NES and SNES, the more likely it is that you only know of those consoles from that era, and attribute the early innovations in various genres more to games that exist specifically on them.

You can be born in 2015 and still likely be directly exposed to key NES titles as a result of Nintendo Online, or NES Classic, and yes just a host of YouTubers coverage etc. There's a very good chance however that you don't know what either a Genesis or Master System is, and have zero knowledge of any defining games that exist on either. And the odds of you knowing what anything Atari put out looks like are extremely remote.

Those that were actually born then, are far more likely to retain the knowledge of the games that shaped that era and those to come. As we get older and die out, the knowledge of the era further dwindles, and progressively become overwritten more and more by the fact the Nintendo will still surface knowledge of their classic NES and SNES era titles for generation after generation in the tens of millions.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Virtual Boy was an awful 3DS that you stuck your face in, not early consumer VR

And Switch VR was effectively a less awful 3DS that you held to your face with a gyro. It being BAD doesn't change it's category.

The project name for the thing was literally VR-32.

It was the first (awful) attempt at consumer level VR at home.

The device's name isn't an accident.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
There is and it's mostly to blame on how American centric retro game youtubers and tastemakers tend to be.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
and I mean the author doesn't mention Gex even once. if they were serious, you'd think they wouldn't leave out gaming's most enduring cultural touchstone, relevant to this day for everything that it does

Gex arguably has more mindshare today than he did in his day.

Dude is like a gateway to overly dated 90's pop culture, which has SOME retro value.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Somewhat, yeah. As it tends to go with these things, the American perspective tends to be the dominant one. And the American perspective is largely Nintendo-centric.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I actually quite liked Croc and played it a lot, but there's no way it was as influential as Banjo Kazooie.
The N64 is far from my favorite Nintendo console, but it was their first 3D console (Starfox notwithstanding), and they set a LOT of new standards in terms of controls and how you interact with 3D environments.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
When other video game console makers, developers, & publishers have reached the level of innovation & quality that Nintendo has maintained since the 1980s, well, then we can talk about Nintendo being overrepresented.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
When other video game console makers, developers, & publishers have reached the level of innovation & quality that Nintendo has maintained since the 1980s, well, then we can talk about Nintendo being overrepresented.

Video game history shouldn't be primarily concerned with who made the best/most popular games.

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I'm also getting at, but I feel you've both worded it in a way that's more easily understood.

This is very much a case of history being written by the victors. If Sega were the biggest console platform owner today (let's say they replace PlayStation), they would be able to more easily reinforce the knowledge of their historically important titles, and as a result those games would remain more popular in the modern landscape.

The historical impacts of certain companies are being retroactively diminished, because they have less ability to reinforce their image on the current market. Nintendo still being around and innovative should rightfully mean they're credited with a longer lineage of historically important titles. But it shouldn't be diminishing the importance of all their competitors so that two games released in the same year that were 50:50 in terms of impact on a genre are instead portrayed more like 85:15.

I also want to say that I think the other reason why maybe sega doesn't get as much credit as they deserve is that such a huge part of their legacy is in arcade games and arcade games just aren't relevant anymore so it's hard to see the "influence" so to speak. You can download outrun on your switch or whatever but that's still not the way it was intended to be played and you are just not getting all of the context. Nintendo obviously has an arcade history too but it's much smaller and they turned most of their prominent arcade franchises into console franchises so they are more prominent in the post arcade era.

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
Just because Croc sold as much as Banjo-Kazooie doesn't mean that it's anywhere near as good or as influential

ALSO CROC WAS A MULTIPLATFORM GAME
y'all* are being disingenuous

*the article lol

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
And Switch VR was effectively a less awful 3DS that you held to your face with a gyro. It being BAD doesn't change it's category.

The project name for the thing was literally VR-32.

It was the first (awful) attempt at consumer level VR at home.

The device's name isn't an accident.

It was an attempt, sure. Saying the Virtual Boy was the first consumer level VR is like saying tap water is the first soda pop, you are missing every defining feature of what makes VR what it is except one thing, 3D. You can't look around, there was no motion tracking whatsoever, no sense of presence, you can't interact with anything, etc. At least Labo VR had head tracking like Cardboard, that alone puts it 100x closer than Virtual Boy.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of Nintendo games have aged like fine wine and you can pretty much trace a good chunk of modern gaming DNA to something Nintendo has done in the past.

Mar 17, 2024
Nintendo has been like a thread in my entire life, and I used to be somewhat of a fanboy during the 8 and 16-bit days. But even I couldn't escape from SEGA's greatness. My worldview changed when I got into PC gaming in the mid-'90s, and the PlayStation completely redefined what gaming could mean for me.

Read the article, and I agree with the now-deleted or hidden tweet about Super Mario 64 being overrated. I fully agree in fact. Was never impressed by Super Mario 64 back in the day. Heck, it wasn't even a "real" Super Mario game to me. Played far more enjoyable and (IMO) impressive games on PC and PlayStation, and in the arcade, where the real graphical arms race took place.

Nowadays I have a somewhat milder view on Super Mario 64 because there are aspects I like, but regardless, it will never surpass the earlier games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, or later ones, like Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 3D World. Super Mario Odyssey was the first "sandbox format" Super Mario game I liked.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Historical importance and relevance is not just about when a thing first happened, but more often about when a thing happened successfully at scale to have cultural and social impact. On an academic level, sometimes too much importance is played on trying to discover what was absolutely the first occurrence of a thing when it may have very little actual relevance or importance in the larger scheme of history.

This reminds me a lot of the Gears of War and Kill/Switch debate. When looking at actual significant influence, it is clear that Gears of War is the factor that influenced modern third person cover shooters. Both in visuals and in implementation, when the games that came after it copied and adapted it, it is because everyone played Gears of War and saw how well that worked there.

Did Kill/Switch do it first? Sure. Was it implemented well enough and was the game itself popular enough to have any sort of significant cultural impact? No. Is it interesting to note that mechanics or styles that later got popularised by a much more successful game were first attempted by lesser known or niche games? Sure. Does that change of the historical significance of what actually popularised the thing? Nope.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree to an extent with this premise. Nintendo's stature in gaming is due to their quality of games and their stewardship of their properties. I'm mid 40 now and I'm excited for a Zelda game this year, just like I was as a teenager, in my 20s and in my 30s. Nintendo's quality apex for games has been so high for so long, it's only right that it is disproportionate in this nature. They've been in the zone basically for four decades.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
This article isn't arguing that Virtua Fighter had a huge influence over 3D fighters, though. It's instead making the argument that it's fair to think the influence of Mario 64 on 3D games *in general* overstated because other 3D games (including Virtua Fighter) came earlier (and existed as its contemporaries), and those games usually aren't discussed.

I think that's silly for reasons I already stated. Virtua Fighter may be extremely impactful but Mario 64's impact is felt and acknowledged by more people, which makes it a better reference point for questions as broad as the ones examined in the article. And so I'm questioning the project of the article. I'm not questioning the idea that large parts of gaming history (including many actual influences on the trajectory of game development) aren't acknowledged enough.

Sorry I missed this post before. Right, so I actually agree that the article itself kinda misses the point when addressing the topic it's put forth. I had posted earlier in the thread that I think we basically need to separate the question of whether Nintendo is over-represented in regards to discussions of videogame history, from the actual article that make a very poor case for itself.

I also did say earlier that I do think if everything were considered objectively, Nintendo would still cleanly come out of everything with easily the most historical representation regardless, based on the merits of their own combined contributions. But I'm more directly speaking to whether or not their representation is proportionate to those contributions relative to the contributions of others. This is where I argue that it's not the case, and I think this is where our opinions start to diverge.

I definitely would agree that Mario 64 has more direct impact to the average gamer than Virtua Fighter does. But this gets into where I believe the ratios become skewed. Let's say if Mario 64 to Virtua Fighter was weighed at 70:30 in some objective manner (I realise this isn't actually possible to place any objective measure to), then modern historical discussion would make it appear closer to 98:2, and even more egregiously Tekken vs Virtua Fighter would look something like 90:10 also. And so this gets into where I say that mere modern popularity isn't a reasonable measure of impact even to the individual end users.

Let's take for example a modern popular brand like Dyson. This is a name that pretty much everyone today would have at the forefront of their mind if we were to talk about vacuum cleaners. But Dyson being a more known and familiar name despite being founded in 1991 is not more impactful on any of our day to day lives than say Hoover from 1908 is. Our collective ignorance regarding parts of history doesn't mean we're unimpacted it. It just means that over time there is a lot of potential for a current market leader to be disproportionately cited in discussions regarding an industry's history.

I also want to say that I think the other reason why maybe sega doesn't get as much credit as they deserve is that such a huge part of their legacy is in arcade games and arcade games just aren't relevant anymore so it's hard to see the "influence" so to speak. You can download outrun on your switch or whatever but that's still not the way it was intended to be played and you are just not getting all of the context. Nintendo obviously has an arcade history too but it's much smaller and they turned most of their prominent arcade franchises into console franchises so they are more prominent in the post arcade era.

Yes. This is actually a very good point. You can't really accurately replicate or experience much of Sega's most influential titles in their original forms outside of a specialist retro arcade environment or videogame museum. It's not quite as simple is just distributing roms online.

It was an attempt, sure. Saying the Virtual Boy was the first consumer level VR is like saying tap water is the first soda pop, you are missing every defining feature of what makes VR what it is except one thing, 3D. You can't look around, there was no motion tracking whatsoever, no sense of presence, you can't interact with anything, etc. At least Labo VR had head tracking like Cardboard, that alone puts it 100x closer than Virtual Boy.

I feel we've basically run our course going back and forth on this. You seem to be more fixated on the quality of what it offered, whereas your original post to me that it was not an early implementation of consumer VR at all. It was. It just sucked. As a result it's relatively unimportant in comparison to more successful example like Virtuality, VFX-1 and especially Oculus.

Labo VR was obviously better, but that's largely because it's standing on the shoulders of modern VR giants. In terms of it's place in VR history, it's less significant than Virtual Boy is.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Hmm I do think Nintendo and their games have earned their reputation but it does feel like they get a bit too much representation compared to some other influential games, like for example I think GTA3 should be up there with Mario 64 and OoT in terms of perception but it's not