• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that fucking sucks. Vicarious Visions has always been a ludicrously talented port-house that's always managed to display some really strong design chops despite what they've traditionally worked with.

This is like the exact opposite direction they should have gone.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
ofc this happened, nothing good can ever thrive that fucking company. actibizzard are the kings of really bad decision making. ffs VV was an actual good studio....

Schreier insight

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schreier has written an article about this situation (that I can't read because I'm not suscribed to Bloomberg):

Some points from his tweets:

-Blizzard's Team 1, who was responsible for Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm, Warcraft 3 Reforged and Starcraft Remastered, has been disbanded.
-Warcraft 3 Reforged ended up in this state because of irrealistic deadlines
-Blizzard Team 1 was working on a Diablo 2 remake before they were disbanded
-VV has been working on Diablo 2 Remake

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
So basically... Vicarious Visions continues on its path of creating remakes, except now on Blizzard properties instead. If you like Crash or THPS I can see that sucking, but it seems to be a mostly lateral move for them.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
This has to be one of the worst news in the recent history of game company buyouts, mergers and closings. Vicarious Visions nailed it with N-Sane Trilogy and THPS1+2 was the best game released last year. Really bummed about this.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I know people are praising them for their remake work, but I thought they frankly put out the best Skylanders games too between Spyros Adventures on 3DS, Swapforce, & Superchargers

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Fuck you, Activision. I have a lot of love and respect for VV given their offices are 45 min from my house. They revived one of your classic franchises, and you're just going to throw them on nanny duty for Blizzard?

I just hope this is to fix Reforged and then it's done, because otherwise, this is horseshit.

Okay I guess it's also a Diablo 2 remake. Still, fuck this.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know I feel like EA has always been a more consistent better publisher than Activision. Activision has always been doing this kind of stuff since late Xbox/Ps2 era

They've gone from utterly completely scummy and forcing microtransactions in everything as well as reportedly taking a lot of control over their gamers, to now having a much more relaxed approach, trusting developers, and even allowing for full on AAA singleplayer games with no microtransactions, like with JFO and Squadrons recently. Heck Squadrons they straight up said no microtransactions or DLC. It's a full package, and we're leaving it that way. And then every one begged for more DLC, so they gave some for free. The EA of a decade ago, when they really were at the height of the Scummy EA Worst Company Ever memes would absolutely not do any of that.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
They've gone from utterly completely scummy and forcing microtransactions in everything as well as reportedly taking a lot of control over their gamers, to now having a much more relaxed approach, trusting developers, and even allowing for full on AAA singleplayer games with no microtransactions, like with JFO and Squadrons recently. Heck Squadrons they straight up said no microtransactions or DLC. It's a full package, and we're leaving it that way. And then every one begged for more DLC, so they gave some for free. The EA of a decade ago, when they really were at the height of the Scummy EA Worst Company Ever memes would absolutely not do any of that.

EA still has EA Sports and things have only gotten worse there. Ultimate Team being some of the most scummy microtransactions in the business, and neglecting single player modes like Franchise in games like Madden.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wtf, just when I thought Acti was alright again, ugh.

They turned Guitar Hero Live into a live service game and pulled the plug on it so quickly that most of the content isn't even playable anymore. They definitely weren't OK this gen. Then they fired a lot of developers and Ubisoft ended up buying the studio that made it.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
both of these are inaccurate

but imagine if retro studios developed metroid prime and DKCR back to back and then nintendo said "okay we're reassigning you into a support group for the wii music development team"

or if sony owned bluepoint and after the shadow of the colossus and demon's souls remakes, they were told they had to help out making london studio's singstar games from now on

that's what this feels like IMO

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
both of these are inaccurate

but imagine if retro studios developed metroid prime and DKCR back to back and then nintendo said "okay we're reassigning you into a support group for the wii music development team"

or if sony owned bluepoint and after the shadow of the colossus and demon's souls remakes, they were told they had to help out making london studio's singstar games from now on

that's what this feels like IMO

To me, it's closer to Retro getting moved away from DKC and Metroid and getting put onto Mario. Or Bluepoint getting put onto Uncharted or The Last of Us.

The funny thing is, Nintendo has already kind of treated Retro this way. Retro were supposedly developing a new IP and they got pulled off of that to work on Metroid Prime 4. They were also making a bunch of new IPs before Nintendo canceled them and put them onto Metroid Prime 1, too.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
So VV is making a D2 remake? God, i really don't want that, they are just gonna make it like Diablo 3, 6 button limit, no talent tree, dumbed down items, no plz.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
What a huge disappointment. One of Activision's best teams has all the potential ripped out of them for shitty Blizzard. Next you're gonna tell me Toys for Bob will be exclusively remaking CoD games... Back to basically never playing an Activision game again I guess.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you, Activision. I have a lot of love and respect for VV given their offices are 45 min from my house. They revived one of your classic franchises, and you're just going to throw them on nanny duty for Blizzard?

I just hope this is to fix Reforged and then it's done, because otherwise, this is horseshit.

Okay I guess it's also a Diablo 2 remake. Still, fuck this.
I'm not understanding the impulse to assume they're being moved to blizzard to do nothing but side work. Why would they do that?

The Diablo 2 remake part just furthers my point. They weren't moved over to not take on a project.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Such a talented studio being absorbed into the dumpster fire that is modern Blizzard...

Activision staying garbage.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
The only silver lining I can possibly gleam from this is that maybe Warcraft III Reforged might become less of a trash fire. But that's about it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schreier has written an article about this situation (that I can't read because I'm not suscribed to Bloomberg):

Some points from his tweets:

-Blizzard's Team 1, who was responsible for Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm, Warcraft 3 Reforged and Starcraft Remastered, has been disbanded.
-Warcraft 3 Reforged ended up in this state because of irrealistic deadlines
-Blizzard Team 1 was working on a Diablo 2 remake before they were disbanded
-VV has been working on Diablo 2 Remake

So does that mean VV is now going to be working on the Diablo 2 Remake under Blizzard instead?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So VV is making a D2 remake? God, i really don't want that, they are just gonna make it like Diablo 3, 6 button limit, no talent tree, dumbed down items, no plz.
I don't think there's any winning with a remake of Diablo 2.

First option is it's exactly Diablo 2 except higher res and some streamlined menus or something.
Fans of the game will enjoy it because it's faithful, but it probably wouldn't play great on consoles or PC players who want to use a controller (if there'll be a controller option at all).

Second option is it's more like Diablo 3 which will be fun for console and controller players, but old-school fans will hate it.

Maybe there's a perfect third option that keeps what fans liked about original Diablo 2 but makes it play great with a controller too, but I kinda doubt that'll happen.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any winning with a remake of Diablo 2.

First option is it's exactly Diablo 2 except higher res and some streamlined menus or something.
Fans of the game will enjoy it because it's faithful, but it probably wouldn't play great on consoles or PC players who want to use a controller (if there'll be a controller option at all).

Second option is it's more like Diablo 3 which will be fun for console and controller players, but old-school fans will hate it.

Maybe there's a perfect third option that keeps what fans liked about original Diablo 2 but makes it play great with a controller too, but I kinda doubt that'll happen.
I think many people really don't remember Diablo 2 all the various different meta/community shifts that went with it. Many would really not enjoy the game nowadays. It'll need many QoL changes. So at its best, fully expect many to be unhappy with it.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you expect that?
This is exactly why I like these news. I have more faith in VV being able to do Diablo 2 justice, than I have in Blizzard being able to do it.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It does fucking sting that the likelihood of them ever making a new console Crash platformer is pretty much in the shitter. The remakes were a perfect benchmark for them to expand their horizons for a new installment (the new level Future Tense was a testament to that).

Crash 4 fills that void nicely thanks to Toys for Bob but man I can't help but feel that VV were robbed of that opportunity to do something really unique. Goddammit it all.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe, but before Crash trilogy or THPS 1+2 came out I don't think anybody was expecting games as good as the originals, either, especially not from Vicarious Visions. So at the very least, stranger things have happened.

Activision always finds ways to fall into talent... or buy them up.

VV had former Neversoft Staff on-board. Anyone who knew this is exactly why it was good thing they were handling the THPS 1+2 remake, and leading up to the release everything was very positive because of this reason. It definitely wasn't a case like Robomodo's handling of the previous couple of games.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
VV had former Neversoft Staff on-board. Anyone who knew this is exactly why it was good thing they were handling the THPS 1+2 remake, and leading up to the release everything was very positive because of this reason. It definitely wasn't a case like Robomodo's handling of the previous couple of games.

Sure, but even Neversoft had struggled in the past with THPS so it wasn't a magic panacea. And it doesn't explain Crash, remaking 3 of the very best Western platformers of all time from scratch. From all accounst, Toys for Bob also did well with Crash 4, so it's always possible another THPS comes out from a talented developer.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
poe.jpg

Somehow, Robomodo returned

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Wow. I'm not into the Pro Skater games but I feel that disappointment so fucking bad. Although maybe this may make Blizzard games better? Doubt it.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see any reason to remake Diablo 2 while also making Diablo 4. This seems like an even worse idea than the Warcraft remake.
Releasing them at the same time would be really weird for sure.
But Diablo 4 is presumably still years away from release. They might think a D2 remaster could be ready much sooner.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I'm bummed by this personally, because of the games they worked on recently will presumably not continue with them.

No more Tony Hawk remasters? Shiiiiiiit.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
This makes me so sad. THPS1+2 was one of my GOTY candidates last year. So darn good. I can't believe that the dream for THPS3+4 died that quickly.