• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is awful. It sucks so bad that he's abandoning her. But if his own life is in danger.... I don't know if I can fully blame him. He has a responsibility to his client, but typically lawyers are not expected to be goddamn bodyguards who are ready to die for their clients either. Since she was already acquitted there was probably nothing else he can do for her anyway. :(

I understand you feel bad, but political leaders have been assassinated for standing with Asia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmaan_Taseer

Her (Asia's) family received death threats and had to go into hiding.

The lawyer helped stop her execution (scheduled in 2015), and helped prove her innocence. You can bet he was harassed and his family was targeted in this. Pakistan's government failed her in a big way by negotiating with (imo) local terrorist.

Like you said, there's probably nothing more he can do. The fact that he stayed this long speaks volumes to me for his character. Now he has to flee his home, his nation, because he did the right thing.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
Can someone explain to me in simple terms how she offended the prophet?

Article only mentioms she drank water from a cup before offering the cup to some fruit pickers. Is that considered blasphemy in Pakistan lol

Edit: just read about the cleric that put a bounty on her head and wow...Just wow.

Do these people realise that news like this and their actions reflect very poorly on how their country is viewed from outside. Cuz all of this makes Pakistan sound like an intolerant hellhole.

And how come the government bends because of angry intolerant mobs?

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Article only mentioms she drank water from a cup before offering the cup to some fruit pickers. Is that considered blasphemy in Pakistan lol

Supposedly an argument broke out due to the cup issue, in which the offended women insisted that Asia need convert to Islam, and she rebuked with some unkind words about the Prophet. The fact that they were trying to trample on her own religious - and general - freedom is of course somehow trumped by her response.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: just read about the cleric that put a bounty on her head and wow...Just wow.

Do these people realise that news like this and their actions reflect very poorly on how their country is viewed from outside. Cuz all of this makes Pakistan sound like an intolerant hellhole.

And how come the government bends because of angry intolerant mobs?
Who the hell knows. This is the same country were a mob of people lynched two brothers in full daylight with police support. These supposedly fasting people (incident happened during Ramadan) gave zero fucks about their religion's ruling on murder and the fact that Islam does not allow individuals to enforce the law (the brothers were accused of theft which they were posthumously found innocent of), not to mention that they were supposed to be fasting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Mughees_and_Muneeb_Butt

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some confuacon but it seema likely she is out and government is denying to delay protesters as long as possible. Things are about to get ugly in Pakistan (lol).

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
The argument started on a hot summer's day in June 2009 as Aasia Bibi picked falsa berries – a purple fruit used to make squash – with her Muslim neighbours. She brought them water to drink; they refused to touch her glass because she was a Christian. A vicious row ensued, although what was exactly said remains a matter of contention.

Bibi's accusers say she flung vile insults at Islam and the prophet Muhammad. "She got very annoyed," recalls Maafia. "But it was normal. We could not drink from that glass. She is Christian, we are Muslim, and there is a vast difference between the two. We are a superior religion."

Bibi's supporters say she used no religious slander, and was resisting pressure to convert to Islam. "She said those women used to badger her to convert to Islam. And one day she just got fed up with it," says Shehrbano Taseer, 21-year-old daughter of the slain governor, who has visited Bibi in jail.

Pakistan keeps being a horrifying country. No wonder all the educated people wants to get the hell of out there...

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Hopefully everyone gets bored now that she's out of reach but I have the feeling that this animus might follow her abroad

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand how people can use religion to literally justify anything no matter how heinous the action is.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
How can you be such a psycho that you will go on the streets to protest for it? I just don't understand. Does their shitty belief not teach them compassion or something. It's ridiculous.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
As much international pressure as possible needs to be put on the Pakistani government to help this woman. A truly disgusting situation.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Insane.

box0uyr.gif

Okay, do it! The world doesn't need people like that.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
Would have been good if Netherlands was just a cover destinations and she was flown somewhere else instead so she isnt found.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
I womder if she is gonna need some security in the Netherlands too, I mean that Dutch director was killed in Amsterdam, anyway this is still a great improvement and I'm glad she escaped from that hellhole

Yeah, that happened 14 years ago.
Dutch law enforcement has long since stepped up their game, there have been no other deaths. That said, we still have more than a few Islamic fundamentalists around. But I think she would be quite safe as long as she doesn't become a public figure.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
When you believe in stories that aren't based in logic, evidence and reason, and that this life is just a test for the next one, then you open a pretty dangerous door.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I distinctly remember hearing a story that involved a woman throwing trash at Muhammad's daily route to a certain place. The one day she became too sick to show up and throw trash, he went to visit her and pay his regards. What are these lunatics trying to do here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said earlier, this was the plan by Government all along, to buy time in order to safely get her out, and hopefully strategise how to keep the streets protected (doubt it).

But well done for upholding the courts decision.

I feel sorry for other Pakistanis that will now suffer due to the outrage about to inflicted upon them by these fantanatics. Both Christians and Muslims.

Adobe

Oct 27, 2017
It truly shocks me that you can get hanged for insulting a character from a 2000 year old book. Glad she got out.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Leader of the TLP political party that was behind this protests has been arrested.

Pakistani authorities have arrested the leader of a religious party which had disrupted daily life with nationwide rallies following the acquittal of a Christian woman in a blasphemy case.

The son of Khadim Hussain Rizvi, leader of the right-wing Tehreek-e-Labbaik (TLP) party, said his father was taken away on Friday in a nighttime raid on his religious school in the eastern city of Lahore.

"Police raided our school and arrested our revered leader," Saad Rizvi told the Reuters news agency.

The TLP said in a statement that Rizvi was arrested along with scores of supporters, according to a report by The Associated Press.

In a tweet, Pakistan's Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said Rizvi "has been taken into protective custody and shifted to a guest house".

"The action was prompted by TLP's refusal to withdraw its call for protest on November 25. It's to safeguard public life, property and order," the minister said.

Rizvi has called his party members to observe "martyrs' day" on Sunday by holding a rally in capital, Islamabad, Pakistan's Dawn newspaper said.

Chaudhry, however, said the arrest "has nothing to do with the Aasia Bibi case".
Rizvi's TLP was at the forefront of a nationwide protest against the acquittal of Pakistani Christian woman, Aasia Bibi, in a blasphemy case by the country's Supreme Court last month.

The TLP had demanded Bibi's public execution, while the party's founder, Mohammad Afzal Qadri, called for the death of the three Supreme Court judges who ruled to acquit her.

Qadri had also called for the overthrow of the Pakistan government over the controversy.

The protests ended only after the government agreed to a Supreme Court review of Bibi's acquittal.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan went on the national television to say that the Supreme Court's decision will be final and upheld.

The chances of the apex court's acquittal being overturned are slim, according to Bibi's lawyer, who fled Pakistan following the verdict.

Blasphemy is a massively inflammatory issue in Muslim-majority Pakistan, where even unproven allegations of insulting Islam and Prophet Mohammed can lead to lynchings and murders.

The allegations have led to at least 74 killings in Pakistan since 1990, according to an Al Jazeera tally.

Meanwhile, hardline groups continue to hold sporadic, albeit peaceful, rallies across the country and calling for Bibi's execution.

The TLP has also vowed to return to the streets if Bibi leaves the country.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018...eader-blasphemy-protests-181123190633780.html