Oct 25, 2017
5616.jpg

Thousands of Islamist protesters have brought Pakistan to a standstill, burning rickshaws, cars and lorries to protest against the acquittal of a Christian woman who spent eight years on death row on false charges of blasphemy.

"We are ready to sacrifice our lives for this noble cause," one told the Guardian, "and have rejected whatever rubbish the prime minister said in his speech".

The landmark release of Asia Bibi, a 47-year-old farm labourer, has pitched the state into the latest of several battles with supporters of Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP), a rabid, fast-growing political party that exists solely to punish blasphemers. Asia was charged with insulting the prophet Muhammad after she drank from a cup of water before passing it to Muslim fruit-pickers.

Police have so far shied away from arresting protesters and the powerful armed forces, which often appear to align with Islamists, have yet to issue a statement, despite TLP leaders daring to call for mutiny in its ranks.

On Thursday, rightwing religious organisations, including Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JUD), a charity founded by UN-designated terrorist Hafiz Saeed, and the Jamaat-Ulema-e-Islam, announced that they would join the TLP protest on Friday, in what could become an unmanageable conflagration.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ani-government-vows-to-stop-asia-bibi-leaving

The protests are now over but because the goverment gave in

The TLP has agreed to call off its protests, which saw thousands of Islamists blockade the country's major motorways, burning cars and lorries and chanting that they were ready to die to protect the honour of the prophet.

In a document signed by the PTI's religious affairs minister and the TLP's second-in-command, Pir Afzal Qadri, the government promised not to oppose a court petition to reverse Bibi's release. It also pledged to work in the meantime to put her name on the exit control list (ECL) which would prevent her leaving the country.

"Placing Asia Bibi on the ECL is like signing her death warrant," said Wilson Chowdhry of the British Pakistani Christian Association. Bibi, a mother of five, remains in the same prison where last month two men tried to kill her, although she has been shifted out of her windowless cell.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ani-government-vows-to-stop-asia-bibi-leaving

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Its almost like that religion in some of these places is going g through what christianity went through a few centuries ago.

Just some fucking despicable hatred for anything and anyone who thinks differently.

Religion, the gift that keeps on giving... misery and ignorance and death.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Such a backwards country.How can you hang a woman for just drinking water?It makes me sick to my stomach.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Its almost like that religion in some of these places is going g through what christianity went through a few centuries ago.

Just some fucking despicable hatred for anything and anyone who thinks differently.

Religion, the gift that keeps on giving... misery and ignorance and death.

itll be pretty interesting in this century to see how Islam develops

The democratic old guard from the revolution in Iran for example seem to be extremely popular? With the ayatollahs death we'll see how or if they can take to power

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is the country people side with against Israel. Jesus Christ, at least there I won't be hanged for being a woman or gay.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I don't understand this story.

She drank from a cup of water before passing on said cup to other people?

What rule did she break?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck, so she never even actually said the insult... and she was locked up for 8 years... and people still want her dead... for something she didn't do?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the country people side with against Israel. Jesus Christ, at least there I won't be hanged for being a woman or gay.

What is the point of this type of statement? My immediate reaction is to contradict it because it lacks context. Or simply summarizing it as: Israel is shit and so is Pakistan. In any case, if being killed for being a woman or homosexual is your measure of a good country, you need higher expectations.

Are you mistaking Palestine with Pakistan?

And now that I see this, I think, ohhhh there's a simpler explanation...

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this story.

She drank from a cup of water before passing on said cup to other people?

What rule did she break?

Probably the muslim workers were mad that a christian drank from their cup of water... mad enough to get two people to make false allegations against her for capital punishment.

What a state of affairs.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I'll admit that I haven't been following this as closely as I should've, but all this because she drank some water from a cup? Ridiculous

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My wife's family is in Lahore and she says its like a state of emergency over there. No one can go outside because roads are blocked, fires set ablaze and mobs out on the street. A bus driver got shot up for trying to cross one of the blockades. Absolute insanity.. the case itself was shitty enough but this response from the fundamentalists has been completely barbaric to say the least. I just hope my family and loved one are safe there until this simmers down.

I'll admit that I haven't been following this as closely as I should've, but all this because she drank some water from a cup? Ridiculous
This is a very common occurence. Well not the actual locking up for 8 years and then riotting happening but the bigotry at display. A servant served food to a group of workers in the dry heat and when they learnrd that the servant was a Christian they threw the food and burnt the dishes, demanding new food be prepared. This is like an every day occurence type thing that can happen in a household because it happened in the household of one of my family a while ago and this is in an affluent household, not some poor village.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"Muslim cleric Maulana Yousaf Qureshi announced a ₨. 500,000 bounty to anyone who would kill her."

What a nice place to live.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
8 years in prison and now has to live in constant fear of being murdered by a mob.

I hope someone can help her get out of there.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
My extended family in Karachi are afraid to go to church on sunday. They say their church (St. Patrick's) received a ton of threats of attacks during masses so let's hope for the best. This is one reason my parents decided to leave Pakistan. Minorities can't be protected because of groups like this and the institutions that might support them. Let's hope Imran really protects the minorities.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. This is actually fucking nuts.
  • Asia, a Christian woman, takes a sip from a cup of water that she was giving to her fellow farmhands who are Muslim.
  • Muslims demand she convert to Islam, because they are offended she drank from their water (?)
  • The mob gets two sisters to claim Asia insulted the prophet
  • Asia is jailed on death row for 8 years
  • The judges determine the claim was false and Asia never insulted the prophet
  • Protesters cause damages of $1.2 billion over three days demanding her execution
They just want her dead because they want a Christian dead? I guess? Or maybe they think its fake news and she is a blasphemer?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Ground zero for radical fundamentalism. Truly barbaric.

Imagine being so insecure in your religion that you want to kill people for perceived slights.

Oct 27, 2017
The bit about her offering water still makes me mad. She wanted to do good and they do this to her?

Reminds me of people getting mad for being told "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas".

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a complete fucking shit show. I remember a decade ago when I use to live there and same of the shit was happening, I used to feel hopeless that I would never be able to get the fuck out.
This whole incident has given me a new found appreciation of the freedoms we enjoy in America. It's not perfect but trust me it can A LOT FUCKING WORSE.

Also that poster that confused Pakistan with palestine ended up showing way more of his/her shades than they wanted to.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah. This is actually fucking nuts.
  • Asia, a Christian woman, takes a sip from a cup of water that she was giving to her fellow farmhands who are Muslim.
  • Muslims demand she convert to Islam, because they are offended she drank from their water (?)
  • The mob gets two sisters to claim Asia insulted the prophet
  • Asia is jailed on death row for 8 years
  • The judges determine the claim was false and Asia never insulted the prophet
  • Protesters cause damages of $1.2 billion over three days demanding her execution
They just want her dead because they want a Christian dead? I guess? Or maybe they think its fake news and she is a blasphemer?

Also don't forget when she was on Death Row in 2011 a Governor who sided with her was assassinated because he said the blasphemy laws take advantage of mob rule.
Here he is with Aasia Bibi:
rSbaKnO.jpg

Gov. Salman Taseer was assassinated on January 4th, 2011 by his own bodyguard Mumtaz Qadri.
Qadri was then seen as a hero by Islamists after he was hung for assassinating the governor.
Here's the funeral of the Assassin:
JgMIO9M.jpg

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also don't forget when she was on Death Row in 2011 a Governor who sided with her was assassinated because he said the blasphemy laws take advantage of mob rule.
rSbaKnO.jpg

Gov. Salman Taseer was assassinated on January 4th, 2011 by his own bodyguard Mumtaz Qadri.
Qadri was then seen as a hero by Islamists after he was hung for assassinating the governor.
JgMIO9M.jpg
Look at that mob. What hope for a country like this?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
rSbaKnO.jpg

JgMIO9M.jpg
Absolutely insane.

less

Oct 25, 2017
People using religion to call for the murder/harassment of people are a blight upon humanity. Religions should bring hope and comfort to people but these nutcases turn it into weapons. One day I hope humanity can grow out of this.