THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The key is get your kid independent as quickly as possible. For me I was happy to get beyond the younger years, fun starts at 9-10.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, OP, there are plenty of parents online who feel the same way. You're not a bad person for that; you'll get through it & then remember to mock your kid for it well into their adulthood!

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My son just turned two last week so I feel you. Mine doesn't stop ever. Everyday we get the leaf blower out along with the lawnmower. Then we want to play inside the truck. Then we want to see the Halloween lights. Now let's go on a walk. Then we're back in the shed wanting to get my bike out. Let's open the sandbox now.

At the end of the day it's all worth it to see him happy though.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My son is the reason it took me two years to complete the Witcher 3. A good deal of that time was spent staying up WAY too late and paying for it at work the next day. The early stage is why we agreed that we would only have one. Of course, I'm 43 with a 5 year old because it took us 10 years to be able to afford IVF (I wasted a great deal of money on condoms in my life). We have a lovely couple up in Michigan who took our remaining embryos, so Miles has a little brother and a little sister who we will maintain contact with.

5 year old Miles is a fucking blast! He likes Transformers (just bought him the 80's movie... it has not aged well), Star Wars (made the mistake of showing him the prequels... now they're the only ones he wants to watch), and Spider Man is his favorite super hero (he loves that there is a Spider Man named Miles). He loves to run outside with the dogs, and I'm just now getting him into video games (so far, he's reluctant to hold the controller, but he loves watching me play Mario).

The early years go by quickly, but only in retrospect.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I know very well how exhausting, sometimes annoying this can be. But believe me, you should soak in as much of this time as you can.

When those teenage years hit, you will love these memories. ^^

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always asked how could people just go to work everyday for so long. Then I understood it's so parents can escape their kids.
Younger generations are obviously clueless about this...until they arent.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Don't feel bad op. Being a parent is just natural about conflicting feelings.

I love my 2 year old daughter more than anything and she's brought more joy and happiness into my life than any person or thing or anything ever has. It's amazing. Every day is something hilarious and stupid.

But throughout this pandemic I've also had reoccurring thoughts, "Jesus this would be so much easier just 3 years ago without a kid..." Like if I was just working from home, everything else was the same except I didn't have a kid?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
having a kid is just a huge nope to me. not interested. i don't like kids and can't stand them. they are infuriating. it's bad enough having little cousins stay the night occasionally but i'll take that any day over having one stuck with me.

I hope you are kidding...
i think lots of parents do this just because it's the easiest way to shut them up. like i said above i don't have kids and when my little cousins are over i usually just let them play with the ipad or play Fortnite on my PC. i'm not their parent so i don't care what they do but i can imagine there are plenty of parents who will do the same thing.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My wife is due in May, and all I hear are horror stories from a friend who's kid is 3mos (and there's positive stories here and there), and then nothing but joy from my brother and his SO who just had twins that are about 2mos. My wife who has worked in daycare for over a decade says that she loved her time working with the two year olds, but three year olds can be frustrating. It's different for everyone, and from my friend and from stories of me as a kid, I'm kind of dreading it, but at the same time excited for a new step in life.

My biggest stressor with it is that there is a lot going on with both my wife and I over the next few months; pregnancy/childbirth, new job and relocation (have to sell house and try to find another place in another state) all thrown in together, not to mention a pandemic. She's not working as a result of the pandemic as well.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this make me glad I have zero paternal instincts. Fair play to you parents though, raising a good kid seems like hard work.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I love him and enjoy spending time together like going to the park and doing learning exercises. But all fucking day? I mean, these little shits get so whiny about every little thing and they never, ever, ever tire. Ever. And yes, I realize their brains are nowhere near fully-developed and I'm being absolutely unfair. But goddamn are they self-centered and whiny. Whine when it's time to put clothes on; whine when it's time to take clothes off; whine when it's time to take a nap; whine when they wake up. Meanwhile this kid has it good. You can have some more water just use your words man!

sigh....I realize that I sound like a dirtbag. But I can be PC, or I can be honest. I have to be honest. If you don't have children, I would suggest you lucky bastards to wrap it up and take your pills. If you've somehow found yourself like me trying to keep a newborn and a 22-month old hobgoblin happy and relatively safe for 48+ hours.....I understand. You may not want to say it but please know that I know.

My son was a total handful and now an assholes on occasion but hes 17.

My 5 year old daughter has been utterfuly fucking awesome since day one. Shes the coolest damn kid to hang around 90% of the time or more.

They have muxh differemt circumstances and Im much older now than with my son.

We have a baby now so well see in couple years how she is haha

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
OP do you have any family that can help out with the kids?

We had twins and the first 7-8 months was kind of hell. It get tiring taking care of a little baby 24/7.

Otherwise the time goes pretty quickly. Not in the moment but they will be in preschool before you know it.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to be the oldest of my many siblings. I vicariously experienced parenting in my teens since the house was full of young'uns and my parents needed help.

31 now and I still don't ever want to experience that shit again. Been there done that. Glad my partner isn't interested in kids either.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't feel bad OP many parents feel the same a lot of the time. I've had two kids and I know exactly what you mean.

It does get better though!

if you can I'd discuss with your partner options for each of you to have some "time off" parenting duties at weekend: I found just have a couple of hours away to go do what I wanted made a huge difference and so did my partner.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I'm either going to be very lucky or the unluckiest because my in laws will likely be living with me when I have kids.

I'm kinda expecting my kids to be stressful, especially since I was for my parents. (My wife was an angel apparently)

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I found the 2s quite adorable. The threenager phase was a beast though.

But I commiserate with you OP. For me it's been hard because I've been used to taking the kids to activities on weekends, and now with the pandemic we've been stuck at home having to play with each other. I've come to realize I'm not that great with one-on-one activities with my kids and it's very challenging.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP. Being a parent can take a toll on you.
My daughter is 21 months old, I work fulltime and also am her sleeping buddy, as in the person that has to put her to sleep for her midday nap, the person who has to lay her down for the night's sleep and also has to get up 1 - 3 times a night to carry her/rock her back to sleep when she wakes. Despite my wife taking a year off work after birth and now only working parttime our baby girl only wants her daddy to tuck her in.
There are days/weeks where I will feel pretty rough because I'm just exhausted because of work, getting up a few times at night, and having to be there for the kid even after work (or before, depending on my shift), free time be damned. It helps that she's a sweet angel otherwise.

Reading through the thread I'm kind of glad I was working from home a lot even before the pandemic hit. I imagine it's quite a culture shock to suddenly work from home with a little kid at your side if you aren't slowly growing into it. I'm also grateful my daughter finally started playing with Duplo Legos. It is finally something I can play with her that's also kind of fun to me.

Can't imagine juggling a second kid right now. It is coming, I'm just stalling for I hope another one or two years lol.

Last edited:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My son was horrible and completely different from my daughter when they were both that age. He would never sleep. Have boundless energy, yet was cranky for lack of sleep.

Now he's 5 and only now is able to finally be put to bed, told "go to sleep" and he'll just DO IT.

Not risking going through another 5 years with a third one. We're done thanks to him, lol

Jul 10, 2018
22 month old girl here, you're spot on. Ignore select people in this thread who CLEARLY do not have children.

The fact that you feel like this means you're involved in your child's life, can't guarantee stuff like that these days.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
My four-year-old breaks and gets into EVERYTHING. The only way to keep him out of something is to literally lock it up in one of our two safes. I hope that one day he'll channel that into a career since he's very inquisitive in that regard, but right now it's incredibly frustrating especially after the first two kids were very chill by comparison.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
22 month old girl here, you're spot on. Ignore select people in this thread who CLEARLY do not have children.

The fact that you feel like this means you're involved in your child's life, can't guarantee stuff like that these days.

Agreed. I think it's perfectly normal to feel this way.

I have a 5 year old son and a 6 month old daughter. Next week I go on "staycation" for a week and I'm actually sorta dreading it because I know I'll be spending the whole time taking care of kids instead of doing anything for myself that I enjoy. My 5 year old son follows me around like a puppy and the baby is... well a baby. Thankfully my wife is taking time off too so she'll be here to help me.

Plus I work from home and I have to deal with the two kids while dealing with my job at the same time and it's really difficult. The only time I get to myself is when the kids are asleep, which means I have to sacrifice my own sleep for a few hours of happiness.

It's extremely tough, and I won't argue with anyone who says being a parent is the hardest job in the world, but it won't always be this way. Eventually you'll hit a point where the stress was worth it. This is just part of the parent life.

Your actions mean you're a good parent and that's all that matters.

Truth. I thought year 2 was cake compared to year 3.

Mar 27, 2019
This is exactly how I feel with our 2yo. It's crazy how the weekends and workweeks get inverted. Fridays feel like sundays and vice versa. I love playing with our little guy but he's an exhausting maniac. If you are lucky enough to have family nearby it's a bit easier so they can spend time with the little ones and give you a break, but yes it's totally normal.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Obviously I love him and enjoy spending time together like going to the park and doing learning exercises. But all fucking day? I mean, these little shits get so whiny about every little thing and they never, ever, ever tire. Ever. And yes, I realize their brains are nowhere near fully-developed and I'm being absolutely unfair. But goddamn are they self-centered and whiny. Whine when it's time to put clothes on; whine when it's time to take clothes off; whine when it's time to take a nap; whine when they wake up. Meanwhile this kid has it good. You can have some more water just use your words man!

sigh....I realize that I sound like a dirtbag. But I can be PC, or I can be honest. I have to be honest. If you don't have children, I would suggest you lucky bastards to wrap it up and take your pills. If you've somehow found yourself like me trying to keep a newborn and a 22-month old hobgoblin happy and relatively safe for 48+ hours.....I understand. You may not want to say it but please know that I know.

Not a dirtbag, you're just honest. My daughter is 2 as well and I relate to pretty much everything you're saying. ESPECIALLY the whining. It's the worst when I'm driving and she whines from the back seat. Like, how many times to I have to tell you that I can't help you when I'm driving? And it's always something very stupid, like she took her own shoe off and she's having trouble getting it back on. Or she took her hair clip out and can't put it back on. Like, girl you did this to yourself!

2 things that make it easier.

1. If I need 30 minutes to myself on weekends, I give her a tablet so she can choose which Cocomelon or baby Johnny videos to occupy herself with. It's magic, and she automatically gets bored at around minute 30 so I don't even have to police her usage.
2. She knows a LOT more words now, and uses them pretty well. Not only can I have a basic conversation, but recently she started responding to my "I love you!" with "I love you too!". GAH! It melts my cold, dead heart every single time!

And you have 2?!? Bless you, good sir. You are a better man than me.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I know the feeling. Playing independently is a major challenge for them at that age. Just know that it won't be for nothing. Just be patient. One day in the future you will see how much they appreciate your time with them.

One thing I could add is to reward your child for playing independently once in a while. It will give them an incentive to try new things on their own and could help bring your sanity back.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I feel sorry for you. I was a stay at home parent until my kids started school. I really enjoyed it, and found 2's to be a really fun age (along with 1,3&4). Kids can normally speak by then and some of the random shit they come out with is hilarious!

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
I was a stay at home Dad for 3 kids, 1 was easy, just hang out together, watch Cartoon Network, go for walks etc. 2 is a bit worse as number 1 doesn't really get why you're giving the new one so much attention. 3 is OK because number 1 and 2 will entertain each other, often via torture but hey, take what you can. My wife was great because she'd look after the kids most of the weekend and usually take them off somewhere so I could go to the pub or game in peace. They're now all teens and a pleasure to be around.

Each was completely different, 1 was always happy, loved music and drawing from when she could hold a pen, very easy to entertain. 2 was evil incarnate, tantrums, hour long screams, violence and so on. This lasted until she was about 11, I shit you not. Worst thing was that to everyone outside who we knew, she was a fucking angel, they looked at us in disbelief when we mentioned what she was like. School parent evenings were full of praise for how wonderful she was, I think she's actually an evil genius and did it on purpose just to troll us. She's fine now, the evil has turned into scathing wit and unending sarcasm, which is nice. Number 3 was born stoned and just chill as fuck, he's exactly the same as me, nothing really phases him, he just games and exercises. He's now the same height and weight as me 95kg 6'2", at 14 with not an ounce of fat on him, he wants to be a rugby player when he grows up, or a marine biologist...

You can't look after every kid the same, they respond to different things, when you figure out what it takes, it gets a lot easier.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
With my personality, having kids (and marriage in general) is some alien abstract idea. I have broken with two previous gfs because they wanted to move relationship further.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
A little insight, 2 is the start of the peak for brain plasticity associated with peer social skills , the start of decline for emotional control, conceptualization and to a lesser extent language. 2 and a half will come numbers, it will be time to start playing with them.

That age you may want to introduce little friends / of young relatives more often :P

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
It's tough. We also have a two year old and I'm the stay at home parent. There are days when it really takes a toll. I also work from home, so in the past two years I can count on one hand how many times I've been away from her for more than eight hours at a time. It's certainly gotten easier for me now that she can play on her own and doesn't need constant attention, but I'd be lying if I said wasn't excited for her to start PreK next fall. It's been a privilege to be around for her learning how to walk, talk and hit those major life milestones though - it makes the tough times worth it.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Bro, just know you're not alone lol. I have a 2 yo kid as well, i know exactly what you're going through.
I just try to find fun activities to pass the time and spend as much time as possible outside.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Related to the iPad thing, Disney+ saved my sanity in lockdown. Like... there are just some things you need your kid to sit still for 30mins while you take care of. Putting knives away, or something. And a brain dead episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse gets the job done. I've never stooped so low as Coco Melon though. That's where I draw the line for bad parenting.

Oct 30, 2017
I have twins that are now four.
It is hard as hell.
I like spending the weekends out with them for the most part. You need to get out, or it'll be bad for you.
But it is hard as hell.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

We've all been here man.

My son is super needy, even at 5 years old.

What worked for me back when he was 2 was ignoring his requests when he whined and tell him I couldnt understand him unless he used his words.

It got worse before it got better, but boy did it get better!

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My first two were SUPER easy. Both of my daughters were never fussy, whiney, or difficult in any way.

My toddler son is like an absolute tornado though. He turns 2 next month and he is 1000 miles per hour 24/7. He destroys / is rough with everything, he grins at you as he does something you just said not to, he laughs as he swings his toys at his sisters. Kid is super hard headed and strong willed.

Love him though. I actually really enjoy playing with him and feel like I don't spend enough time just doing that with him.

He doesn't have anyone that can babysit him this week, so he's going to my office with me. 🤣🌪️🌪️🌪️

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
There's a reason it's called the terrible twos.
Just wait until they are a threenager. In all seriousness, parenting little ones is incredibly tough and stressful and no one has it easy. One way to get around the whining is giving them the illusion of choice and also make everything a game. It takes more energy from the parents up front to stay ahead of it, but way less since you don't have to deal with as many tantrums.