• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
As someone who dated and lived with someone who had a two/three year old for a year, those two ages are absolutely difficult to manage. Nothing you do seems to work, they refuse to go to sleep and just wanna stay up all night watching TV and throw a fucking fit when you turn it off and do not stop screaming. You think they would tire themselves out and eventually fall asleep...NOPE, screaming for HOURS on end. Throwing things, yelling at you, those ages are rough so I don't blame you.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I'm here to rep the 2's ain't shit, wait until the 3's.

A two year old is basic ass Frieza. They're annoying and bad but isn't no big deal.

A three year old is when they decide they are perfect Frieza. They do all the stuff from the twos BUT they are now more powerful. They have more awareness of things. They're now smarter. And the worst part? They no longer nap so the late hours of the evening they evolve into Golden Frieza and unleash the full onslaught.

I hope you know I'm going to "borrow" this analogy.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
My son at 2 wasn't really like this. He started becoming this monster at 3. Now he doesn't take naps because he hates sleeping.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
With so many kids in need of a home and given most people only want to adopt babies, we will happily adopt a kid who's past those years and save the planet the burden of yet another human. Thanks for the heads up OP!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
God I got fuckin lucky with my daughter. Raising her has been an absolute breeze. Only acts out these days when it's nap time (she's definitely not ready for no naps).

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I know what you mean. It took me a bit to get to the point where I have tons of fun with them, especially with covid. Always do something

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I've taken care of a 2 year old. they are a full time job. It's exhausting. I def get it. The only great thing is that it's not forever. Lol

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Non Parents: "Yeah that sounds pretty shitty of you, man."

Fellow Parents: "yeah it's pretty shitty, man."

Terrible twos? Just wait for Torturous Tens and Asshole Twelves.

bigsnack

May 9, 2018
Los Angeles
Three is way worse. Have fun!

I agree with this. I really feel like it should be called the terrible 3's. I had many days of devouring a pint of ice cream in the super market parking lot on my way home from work when my kids were 3, no doubt!

The hardest year for me in general was the age of 4, where they are still very needy, but there are new emotions like disappointment, etc. My first son started really wanting to spend more time with the kids in the neighborhood around the age of 5.5, and now that he's almost 7 he is my HOMIE. We have great talks, play cards, etc. I feel like he's more aware that I'm a person too and not just a doormat or a gopher, which is refreshing and makes the job way more rewarding.

My youngest is 4. Today, he asked me for a hug and when I went to pick him up, he kicked me in the balls. That pretty much sums up the age of 4.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
I have 3 daughters. My youngest is 2. I am not going to try for a son.

First daughter was easy by comparison lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Non Parents: "Yeah that sounds pretty shitty of you, man."

Fellow Parents: "yeah it's pretty shitty, man."

Terrible twos? Just wait for Torturous Tens and Asshole Twelves.
BEING a parent is way different than arm-chairing it. I didn't understand until helping to baby sit a 2 year old. They are exhausting lol. I know 1-6 whenever I have my own are going to be it's own hell. This is why it's so important to have your "village" to help raise them. I salute people who are single parents or literally have no help. Because I see how bad it can be. also most people don't know one of the biggest google searches are people googling about regrets with kids. Lol.

Magni

I'm in the same boat as you. Daughter is 2.5 years old, and her little brother is about to hit 8 months. I love her, but I can't wait for these terrible twos to be over. Everything that can be made more complicated she makes more complicated. Screaming fits every day multiple times a day. Our second is an angel in comparison, it's hard to imagine that in a couple years it'll be his turn to be a little devil.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
3 is worse than 2, so strap in.

it gets better though. 4 is better than 3, 5 and better than 4, and by the time you hit 6 it's just natural. my youngest is 7 now and almost every day is a joy, whereas I felt it at 2 and 3 for sure.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
Bro that age was horrible. 22 months to around 25 months they are insanely stubborn and don't listen. But trust me stay firm with them and around 2 3/4 they start listening more and are more appreciative of you. But yea 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 is a grind

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
Yeah, toddlers can be a real handful. I have a 19 month old and he really tries to test my patience constantly. Random temper tantrums, throwing food, picking random shit off the ground and when I tell him to give it to me, he sticks it into his mouth and runs away giggling, 🤦‍♂️. Also, who would have known that something that small can scream louder than a jet engine?!

I mean, I love the little guy more than anything but if I had any hair left, it probably would have fallen out in the last 6 months.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is affirming our decision to not have kids. Thanks y'all lol. Wife is 36 we're both pretty firmly in the no kids camp but this helps haha.

Toy Soldier

Nov 10, 2017
Don't feel bad, dude. Any source of stress is something that feels like a toxin to the brain...even when you KNOW it's a damn two-year old, and that he's your boy.

Your raw stress is normal. It was for me.

My boy is 7 now and I still have my moments, but it's SO MUCH better than when he was 2 and 3. Even 4. Now, we have, like, actual man-to-man conversations (well, it feels like it).

Shit sucks right now, but it'll get better, don't get down on yourself. Stress is stress is stress - even if it's your son who is behind the stress. It's frustrating, but you're still there. Be proud of yourself for venting here instead of letting the negativity out on him.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
My son is 13 months and I feel you. Things will get better though so stick through it and don't take the shortcuts ALLL the time. They don't know better.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Age three/four was the worst for us w/ my first.

Do you like riding bikes? Do your kids like riding in a trailer? My first loved the shit out of being in a bike trailer so I'd take her out riding all the time. Ride for a while, stop by a playground, let her get some energy out, go home.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
15th mo old daughter here. (I mean not me, I'm the dad). Just starting to get a bit of an attitude...but she's also my favorite person ever.
need Covid to fuck off next year so she can actually interact with people outside our tiny bubble.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Now just imagine how stressful it is to be 2 and 3 adjusting to fucking life! Every new, seemingly small nuisance is like the worst thing they've literally ever experienced. Hang in there man! Hot tip: create the illusion of choice—small children need a sense of autonomy during the individuation process.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Go on. I definitely try to redirect the whining (failing that, calmly explaining why thing A can't happen because of thing B, which normally works after some persistence), but what do you mean by making them think it's their idea? What's the "it"?

whatever it is you're trying to get them to do. It's less rational and more sales.

But just do whatever works for you, parenting is extremely subjective and anyone who says otherwise is selling something or not a parent.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I will say, things are harder for parents with small kids right now because of the pandemic. Not that it isn't harder for all parents, but I only have experience with mine. I may have a skewed perspective on my son's third year, because he's been locked inside for most of it. When he was two, we could go to the park, the playground, out to stores to shop for toys. Now, there's none of that, and it's just trying to keep him occupied with new stuff inside.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The OP is the reason why I'm ok with waiting to have kids. Some of our friends have little kids, I'll enjoy their cuteness from afar without having to deal with the responsibilities.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
As someone who dated and lived with someone who had a two/three year old for a year, those two ages are absolutely difficult to manage. Nothing you do seems to work, they refuse to go to sleep and just wanna stay up all night watching TV and throw a fucking fit when you turn it off and do not stop screaming. You think they would tire themselves out and eventually fall asleep...NOPE, screaming for HOURS on end. Throwing things, yelling at you, those ages are rough so I don't blame you.

Bro let me tell you, that is not normal behaviour. I have a 5.5 year old, 3.5 year old, and 1 year old, and not one of them has EVER been up screaming at night to watch TV. That's on bad parenting.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you

i have a 10 week old and a girl about to turn three, it's rough but sometimes she's in a good mood and it is very sweet and fun

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bro let me tell you, that is not normal behaviour. I have a 5.5 year old, 3.5 year old, and 1 year old, and not one of them has EVER been up screaming at night to watch TV. That's on bad parenting.

TV turned our kid into a monster for a while, and eventually we had to cold turkey her off it. It's a very effective (temporary) tool to get kids off your back but it backfires spectacularly if not used sparingly.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
BEING a parent is way different than arm-chairing it. I didn't understand until helping to baby sit a 2 year old. They are exhausting lol. I know 1-6 whenever I have my own are going to be it's own hell. This is why it's so important to have your "village" to help raise them. I salute people who are single parents or literally have no help. Because I see how bad it can be. also most people don't know one of the biggest google searches are people googling about regrets with kids. Lol.

Yeah it definitely reshapes one's perspective lol. I remember my parents reminding me how hard it was being a parent and trying to provide for a family and thinking "Yeah I know you have jobs but you have no idea what I'm going through. Now why is my Genesis still on layaway?" like a typical prick kid.
I'm basically a stepfather to a child since he was 4 (now 13) so I missed the whole terrible two period myself, although even she says he was worse at 4 lol. But his mother went through it basically alone for those 2 years. But yeah there really are a TON of sacrifices you make as a parent that you never really even considered before. One example: sitting through 3 hour teeball and baseball games where a bunch of tiny people flail their arms around, miss the ball every time at bat and trip on their own shoelaces while running bases and pretending it's the world series to not hurt the kid's feelings... three times a week.

edit: And yeah family like grandparents are a godsend but I feel bad because as soon as they thought they were out of the woods....haha

Oct 25, 2017
whatever it is you're trying to get them to do. It's less rational and more sales.

But just do whatever works for you, parenting is extremely subjective and anyone who says otherwise is selling something or not a parent.
Absolutely subjective, but I appreciate hearing different techniques. That one almost sounds like head games. 😆

Dad: Nap time!
Kid: No no no
Dad: Alright, let's go. Nap time!
Kid: *cries*
Dad: But you suggested it?
Kid: *whimper*
Dad: Frankly if you don't want to nap then I'm not sure why you were so insistent on napping in the first place.
Kid: ...
Dad: I'm beginning to wonder if you even know what you're doing!
Kid: *confused, walks to bedroom*
Dad: Got em

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I love my kid more than anything in this world but I get it. There are always rough years, some are good some are bad, a lot depends on the kid. I used to dread the summers when my kid was in elementary school. I was the at-home parent and I was always anxious about keeping her entertained for three months without just sticking her in front of a screen. We had fun (and now I miss it)...but it was stressful.

Nov 1, 2017
Not judging OP but just because I see a lot of "glad I don't have kids!", my daughter is 4 and I have loved every minute of it.

We don't have much family so it's just me, my wife and daughter most of the time and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's not always easy, and you lose a lot of your free time, but this is coming from someone 10 years ago I could take or leave having kids, it's absolutely the best!

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
leonardo-dicaprio-about-stressed-out-parents-trying-to-use-e-learning-vs-people-without-kids

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2 and a half year old and it is the most draining thing I can imagine.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 16 month old and every moment of freedom I get to just go to the bathroom or sneak away is a gift. It is exhausting after a long day of work to watch a child. Feel you OP.

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
I should add.... I'm terrified of having a second kid. We're doing well with one, but throw in a baby once she's 3 or 4? Fuuuuck, I'm not sure I could do it. I love the idea of having two kids grown and my daughter having a sibling, but... fuck. Going to two kids sounds exponentially harder.
DON'T - DO - IT.

I did it and it almost broke my marriage and my mental health is suffering A LOT. Me-time is non-existant and I know it's not his fault but having to endure stupid baby stuff again it's been rough, REALLY rough.

I love him a lot but it's been hell having a 3 years old and a newborn baby. Shit, even hell should be easier than this.