Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, fighting games have no desire to help me learn. They treat tutorial systems like government cheese - 'Well, I guess we have to'.

In the era of couch gaming I could get somewhere with them - kind of like how every co-op game is fun, if you're playing with friends you can have enough fun to progress with people are similar skill.

But now I find getting better at fighting games requires the kind of discipline that practicing an instrument does. The games offer no real path to improvement - no campaigns of increasing challenges, but sterile challenges to attempt and be discouraged by. Online resources are a lot better, put seeing a large amount of high-level play can also be discouraging. In the pursuit of entertaining yourself there are better ways to spend your time.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Nope, fighting games have no desire to help me learn. They treat tutorial systems like government cheese - 'Well, I guess we have to'.

In the era of couch gaming I could get somewhere with them - kind of like how every co-op game is fun, if you're playing with friends you can have enough fun to progress with people are similar skill.

But now I find getting better at fighting games requires the kind of discipline that practising an instrument does The games offer no real path to improvement - no campaigns of increasing challenges, but sterile challenges to attempt and be discouraged by. Online resources are a lot better, put seeing a large amount of high-level play can also be discouraging. In the pursuit of entertaining yourself there are better ways to spend your time.

What if I told you...it wasn't that serious?

You can be trash and have fun. You don't have to be Steph Curry to play 21 with your friends. You don't have to be SonicFox to have fun playing DBFZ.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'll get back in when I'm ready to or Power Stone comes back. Whichever comes first.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
This definitely against popular belief

But if you want a much mechanically easier game to get into competitively that doesn't really focus on legacy start of with MK11

The mechanics are crazy simple compared to other games

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

But now I find getting better at fighting games requires the kind of discipline that practicing an instrument does The games offer no real path to improvement - no campaigns of increasing challenges, but sterile challenges to attempt and be discouraged by. Online resources are a lot better, put seeing a large amount of high-level play can also be discouraging. In the pursuit of entertaining yourself there are better ways to spend your time.

"O Lord, if you are there in my time of plight, give me a sign!"

*much booming thunder and shaking of earth commenses*

"Any sign at all, O Lord!"

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
We should all band together and resurrect Skullgirls. Learn the game and bring enough entrants for EVO main stage!

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'll pass. Nothing against the games, but I'm not a fan of the gameplay, it's not for me at all.

Plus, not a fan of the community around it, same for Mobas, FPSes and even Rocket League.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If I told you there was a fighting game out there with a tutorial so great, it not only teaches you how to play that particular game, but the fighting game genre as a whole, would you buy it?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, played 30h of FighterZ and 4 or 5 of Tekken 7 in 2018, got tired of quitters in ranked and that was it. I'll buy Granblue though, I love the artstyle too much.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've tried telling people they don't have to be good to play. They're generally not hearing it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Still trying to get back into them.

Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter and King of Fighters don't really do it for me at the moment. I dislike Dragon Ball Fighter and Smash Brothers very much and get confused @ BlazBlue with its 10.000 systems in place. Man, really trying to find a fighting game that suits you is hard.
Have you tried Killer Instinct. it's on xbox and pc (steam and windows store). That's the game that got me back

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
"O Lord, if you are there in my time of plight, give me a sign!"

*much booming thunder and shaking of earth commenses*

"Any sign at all, O Lord!"

I did actually play XRD's tutorial, and it is inventive. It was a nice presentation of a challenge-based tutorial system, and it really should be the bare minimum, but still I found it easy to leave it overwhelmed and not really having learned much.

But to me, for a fighting game, a real teaching system would have to be like a coach. It would need to recognise a player's inadequacies and give them a next step, not just have open access to the gym. 'You're taking a lot of damage from low attacks -> low guard tutorial 2', not 'Here's anti-air tutorials 1 through 10'. And, interestingly, it was something Killer Instinct wanted to do.

Fighting games have complex mechanics and consistently the least inspired tutorial systems in the industry. People will learn them when there is a real effort to teach them.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every year I read this, and every time my response is the same: I don't like fighting games. I play Smash casually once in a blue moon and that's it. Last time I tried another fighting game with friends (one of the Marvel vs Capcom titles) I got absolutely destroyed. Likewise when I played a few Street Fighter 5 matches with another friend, or a couple of CPU fights in UMvC3 (the one on Steam). Nah, I completely suck and I don't even enjoy it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I did actually play XRD's tutorial, and it is inventive. It was a nice presentation of a challenge-based tutorial system, and it really should be the bare minimum, but still I found it easy to leave it overwhelmed and not really having learned much.

But to me, for a fighting game, a real teaching system would have to be like a coach. It would need to recognise a player's inadequacies and give them a next step, not just have open access to the gym. 'You're taking a lot of damage from low attacks -> low guard tutorial 2', not 'Here's anti-air tutorials 1 through 10'. And, interestingly, it was something Killer Instinct wanted to do.

Fighting games have complex mechanics and consistently the least inspired tutorial systems in the industry. People will learn them when there is a real effort to teach them.

What level of play are you expecting these tutorials to coach you to? Note tutorial is ever going to fix a "make me win or I won't play" attitude.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I really need to get into KI.
Rash is awesome, and speaks to me as a character who you can goof around with, but I never managed to clear the tutorial. I'd need to properly dedicate time to learning it fully, as it's so different than other stuff.

I feel like Sam Sho V Special on PS4 would be a great way to get into FGs for beginners, because it's focused on neutral, and isn't full of long, flashy combos that people want to learn before they learn how to block low. It's just a shame the online is dead, and knowing SNK, the new Sam Sho will have awful netcode.

Is there an infograph that explains the nuances/unique features of each major series? I feel like that would be fun to make.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017

sorry to say this but thats frankly not feasible. Real time coaching is flat out impossible because players will never act the way you want them to for ideal coaching situations. Especially in air dashing fighting games, where players have an aerial backdash to counter anti air attempts, the burden is on the player to pull from his knowledge pool in a split second to find the right way to answer, or to just block. That's not even getting into tick throw situations, wake up oki, fuzzy mechanics, etc etc. The in-game coach would be a nightmare to program except for the simplest cases of fighting games.
nope

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No I haven't, but I can see that being the case.

Some genres are just difficult to make tutorials for. It's not oversight on the devs part, and lots of smart people are trying to figure it out, just no one has yet.

That said, it's not really an issue that fighting games are hard to figure out. You don't have to know anything to really enjoy them.

Case in point, I played SFIV for a whole year before I ever saw somebody do DP > FADC > Ultra. I went a whole damn year not knowing something as basic as that even existed in the game.

I had hella fun playing SFIV that year tho.

This isn't a 3-legged race you're in with them but a tug-of-war. Just sayin'.

It's not a competition at all. See the above.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
What level of play are you expecting these tutorials to coach you to? Note tutorial is ever going to fix a "make me win or I won't play" attitude.

It doesn't need to fix that attitude. It just needs to give a next step for players who want one. Cutting the tutorial system into bits and delivering where needed, instead of letting a player run through and be discouraged when they can't complete 'Combo tutorial 7', would be a significant step up.

sorry to say this but thats frankly not feasible. Real time coaching is flat out impossible because players will never act the way you want them to for ideal coaching situations. Especially in air dashing fighting games, where players have an aerial backdash to counter anti air attempts, the burden is on the player to pull from his knowledge pool in a split second to find the right way to answer, or to just block. That's not even getting into tick throw situations, wake up oki, fuzzy mechanics, etc etc. The in-game coach would be a nightmare to program except for the simplest cases of fighting games.

I don't mean realtime coaching. I mean '34% of the damage you took in that last game was from throws. Here's the throwbreak tutorial'. 'Your largest standing combo in that match was 5 hits. You can now access the 6-hit combo tutorial'.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love SF Alpha 2 soooooo much, what a great game

latest

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
If you do want to play, go to a local event. There may be people willing to teach. You will also learn better and faster by playing in person rather than online if you can.

On my island, I run our local events and we are always willing to teach new players. It's part of my whole reason for starting the events. I do them twice a month and have a video each month to entice new players. This was one from a couple months ago...

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean realtime coaching. I mean '34% of the damage you took in that last game was from throws. Here's the throwbreak tutorial'.

I think you're being really simplistic about this and I don't see how that helps. People don't get thrown cause they don't know how to throw break, they get throw cause they get outplayed. Also big deal if you took from 34% throw damage, that's not necessarily a bad thing or even the reason why you lost.

Losing often isn't a mechanical issue, just an experience one. One that's overcome by playing lots of matches and having lots of losses.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
yea even that much is going to be a problem. Theres a lot of situations where you can get thrown, but one of the most common one is a tick, where you hit them with a weak, quickly recovering move and throw them . A throw break tutorial wouldn't help at all there.

in the end, it comes down to experience and practice agaijst real people, which a tutorial is never going to help with
I don't mean realtime coaching. I mean '34% of the damage you took in that last game was from throws. Here's the throwbreak tutorial'. 'Your largest standing combo in that match was 5 hits. You can now access the 6-hit combo tutorial'.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I wasn't playing fighting games that much already, but then Aris' "Fighting Games Are Insanely Difficult" video just made something click and I dropped them completely in favor of other genres (I even backed TFH but played like an hour).

The article is pretty nice and basically opposes to Aris' video, but still.

Still plan on getting SCVI this year though, that franchise has a special place in my heart.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't need to fix that attitude. It just needs to give a next step for players who want one. Cutting the tutorial system into bits and delivering where needed, instead of letting a player run through and be discouraged when they can't complete 'Combo tutorial 7', would be a significant step up.

Fighting games are too complicated for a linear "coaching" guide like this. People get thrown because they aren't expecting it. That's not something you can teach someone to avoid. The genre just isn't for you as you've demonstrated numerous times in fighting game threads.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't playing fighting games that much already, but then Aris' "Fighting Games Are Insanely Difficult" video just made something click and I dropped them completely in favor of other genres (I even backed TFH but played like an hour).

Aris did a dis-service to the community with that video. Now I don't disagree with him, he's 100% right. BUT he's coming from the genre as a veteran. How he approaches a fighting game, and how he learns a fighting games is not how someone new to the genre should approach it or even an intermediate player for that matter. It's like watching a pro baseball player tell you their training regimen and you go "Well I can't do that, guess I'll never play baseball ever!".

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Still plan on getting SCVI this year though, that franchise has a special place in my heart.

Aris and Patrick are both right. Fighting games ARE very difficult.

But also, being bad at fighting games is not really a reason to avoid them. They're still very fun to play when you're bad, and that quick march from being absolute trash to competent is very rewarding.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're being really simplistic about this and I don't see how that helps. People don't get thrown cause they don't know how to throw break, they get throw cause they get outplayed. Also big deal if you took from 34% throw damage, that's not necessarily a bad thing or even the reason why you lost.

Losing often isn't a mechanical issue, just an experience one.

I'm being simplistic - a 'throwbreak' tutorial might be 'Here's a challenge, last 1 minute without being thrown'. 'Keep your distance, here's an idea of the throw range'. A target for improvement.

Tutorial systems have those kinds of lessons anyway. They're useful. But they're delivered terribly. You do them, then you hit a wall, but it might not be a wall relevant to the level you're playing at anyway. The way fighting games are taught does more to discourage.

I don't think it's technically infeasible to present the next high-level combo tutorial when the player has done the last combo in the middle of an actual match. Or to suggest an anti-air attack tutorial if the player was walloped by them in the last game. Again, a target.