Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
At least when I hear the SNP talk about Brexit I actually feel conviction. I also know the whole party will vote in unison for anything that challenges Brexit or "waters" it down. As above can you guarantee that with Labour, or will the Labour infighting arise?

SNP have 35 MP's, compared to Labour's 256.
That alone makes it easier.

And Scotland voted for remain... I think all the SNP's MP constituencies voted for remain?
Whereas around 60% of Labour constituencies voted to Leave.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I'm just saying if I was in May's position that's how I would be thinking right about now, huge amounts of companies are leaving the country and we need to stem the flow and if that requires turning it's back on the peoples then so be it.

This is what I fear most about Mays deal, where will be Britain's edge? She has signed up to copy the EU in all but name, as a company why would I come to the UK to set up a buisness

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNP have 35 MP's, compared to Labour's 256.
That alone makes it easier.

And Scotland voted for remain... I think all the SNP's MP constituencies voted for remain?
Whereas around 60% of Labour constituencies voted to Leave.

I agree and understand, but the Labour party was supposed to back remain. It's up to Labour to try and convince that 60% they voted on lies and deceit and at the very least, no deal and Hard Brexit would royally fuck the UK.

While I would like the UK not to leave the EU, I'm consigned to admitting defeat there, and instead, would view the people's vote as trying to vote for the best deal possible that if it won in a vote would force the Tory party to comply.

If that meant extending article 50, scrapping most of the negotiations so far and sacking May for a new leader to arrange a different deal, so be it. That might take another year or something, at some cost, but you don't just shout into your pillow and say "just get it over with" around such a massive change for your future/children's future.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
I agree and understand, but the Labour party was supposed to back remain. It's up to Labour to try and convince that 60% they voted on lies and deceit and at the very least, no deal and Hard Brexit would royally fuck the UK.

While I would like the UK not to leave the EU, I'm consigned to admitting defeat there, and instead, would view the people's vote as trying to vote for the best deal possible that if it won in a vote would force the Tory party to comply.

If that meant extending article 50, scrapping most of the negotiations so far and sacking May for a new leader to arrange a different deal, so be it. That might take another year or something, at some cost, but you don't just shout into your pillow and say "just get it over with" around such a massive change for your future/children's future.

Labour did a decent enough job of convincing Labour supporters to vote Remain (compared to the LD's)

It's the Tories/Cameron (once again) that fucked things up

vote1b.png

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Labour did a decent enough job of convincing Labour supporters to vote Remain (compared to the LD's)

It's the Tories/Cameron (once again) that fucked things up

vote1b.png

I agree the whole mess is on the Tories hands in regards to the vote (UKIP voters were just Tory voters "in disguise"), but you highlighted the concern of "listening to the people in the seat you hold". Quite honestly that is past for Labour MPs, it's time to roll the dice and try absolutely everything possible to throw out some of the water that's leaking onto this ship and taking it down.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
I wish but she will just use the fear to get politicians to vote for her deal, maybe not the 2nd, possibly the 3rd time. Ramping up the fear. Politicians need to keep knocking it back even with the no deal fear. Brexit needs cancelled.

I'm hoping that if or when the 2nd vote fails she concedes and excepts there no way through the impasse and has to find another route but this is May we are talking about she'll just dig in deeper.

This is what I fear most about Mays deal, where will be Britain's edge? She has signed up to copy the EU in all but name, as a company why would I come to the UK to set up a buisness

Exactly Businesses like political stability, and the Country is far from stable and is bleeding massively and it needs to be stopped, even if May's deal goes through it offers only a small amount of time of reassurances i.e delaying the brexit bomb until 2021 or the end of the transnational period whenever that is. Investment is drying up, major companies are leaving and citing Brexit as the reason why. Yes the Country voted for it but Brexit as a concept is now having serious repercussions and this is only going to get worse in the near time. If I was a foreign investor I would be staying away from Britain because of Brexit.

Edit:

I watched a few brexit vids on youtube and now the algorithm is bringing up pro-brexit videos all I can see is Farage or JRM destroys remainer on my feed, get fucked Google.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
So despite who wrote the Buzzfeed article, what are the odds of it being an accurate portrayal of what's going on inside the People's Vote campaign?

If I'm being honest, I would not be particularly surprised if it were true. There are a lot of egos there, and it wouldn't be long before heads started butting over a course of action, and any semblance of unity began to melt away.

I also absolutely believe Chuka Umunna is using it as a platform to possibly launch a new party, and snipe at the Labour front bench.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's interesting to see optimism in Sterling. Even there I guess there is still large denial about how real a threat no deal is.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The European Parliament, which also has to ratify the withdrawal agreement, just said that they won't consent to it unless it has an 'all-weather' backstop in place.

So that's another barrier stopping May from getting rid of it.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It's interesting to see optimism in Sterling. Even there I guess there is still large denial about how real a threat no deal is.

The no deal amendment is the most signed amendment. 115 MP's. I think they think a no deal will pass, even though it means nothing unless EU agree to an extension

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Huge news, up to someone else if they feel it is threadworthy

Remain MP's have admitted a second Ref will not get enough support so are pulling votes on it

So Corbyn tables an amendment that would stop no deal AND pave the way for another ref in the future depending on what happens

People almost immediately say they won't support it so the Labour leadership move on to Yvette Cooper's as that has a better chance of helping the situation at the moment

Chuka and co ignore reality, jump the gun and go full on people's vote now. Quickly realise they don't have the support (duh) and blame Corbyn.

Is that where we're at today?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It's crazy to think of the legacy (negative) the Luke's of May and Rees Mogg will leave in their wake. If No Deal happens it's like a nuke going off in every strata of the UK. Politics, economy, social structure... when/if these idiots ever wake up and realise what they voted for there will be hell to pay. Who thought Thatcher would look quaint.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The no deal amendment is the most signed amendment. 115 MP's. I think they think a no deal will pass, even though it means nothing unless EU agree to an extension
It's all the same nonsense over and over again. Lots of people can agree on exiting, but not on what that looks like. Lots of people can agree on avoiding no deal, but not on how to achieve it. As soon as someone has to actually crystalize something into reality a majority comes out against the specifics.

It makes me want to bang my head against walls, desks, vehicles, you name it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the Ref, how could parliament agree on the ballot questions.

Agree with Garfield, EU isn't going to budge unless there is a dramatic rethink from the UK.

Would there even be a majority to revoke article 50. We are so fucked.

If no majority for a second ref I'm not sure what the 230 majority were voting *for*. They don't want a no deal and don't want May's deal. So...

Maybe the only option is revoking A50 and not invoking it again until we have a clear position? This shit with us staring down the barrel of a gun is insane

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Chuka - "the British Barack Obama"* - Umunna, everybody.

*named so in a Wikipedia edit traced back to his office

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the Ref, how could parliament agree on the ballot questions.

Agree with Garfield, EU isn't going to budge unless there is a dramatic rethink from the UK.

Would there even be a majority to revoke article 50. We are so fucked.

This right here is what makes a second referendum a non-starter. Or at the very least delayed and obstructed for months, if not years.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Something along the lines of:

Do you wish to Leave the EU on the terms set out in the Withdrawal Agreement, or Stay in the EU on our current terms.
Leave
Stay

The WA has been rejected by parliament, just like no deal would be, it can not be on the paper.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Umunna absolutely sucks. I remember when he was going to stand in the Labour leadership you had people saying 'he could be our obama'.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Its kind of amusing to imagine the average person being asked if they support the Withdrawal Agreement. Put another box under it to tick if they have read the WA.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The WA has been rejected by parliament, just like no deal would be, it can not be on the paper.
It absolutely can. If the vote is all about the "will of the people", then it can easily be argued that just because parliament has rejected it, the populace want the opportunity to say whether or not they agree.
There's no way a second referendum happens without one or both of May's deal and no deal being on the ballot, and that is why it's so dangerous.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If there is a 2nd ref by some miracle it'll end up with only two options, one will be no deal and the other will likely be May's deal.

I wish I could be more optimistic.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is a 2nd ref by some miracle it'll end up with only two options, one will be no deal and the other will likely be May's deal.

I wish I could be more optimistic.

Tories being so coward against voting the deal themselves that they would perform a Poncio Pilatos political maneuver to force people into a decision, would be the icing of the cake in this whole mess.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's all the same nonsense over and over again. Lots of people can agree on exiting, but not on what that looks like. Lots of people can agree on avoiding no deal, but not on how to achieve it. As soon as someone has to actually crystalize something into reality a majority comes out against the specifics.

It makes me want to bang my head against walls, desks, vehicles, you name it.

It's basically:

"We can't have May's deal because it's terrible so that's off the table."

"We can't have a no deal Brexit because it would destroy our economy so that's off the table."

"We can't stay because the Will of the People is absolute so that's off the table."

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
And no deal will win, easily
Sadly yes. Apart from anything else a not insignificant amount of people somehow believe no deal means status quo according to some poll a few weeks ago. No deal would likely still win regardless.
Tories being so coward against voting the deal themselves that they would perform a Poncio Pilatos political maneuver to force people into a decision, would be the icing of the cake in this whole mess.
Pretty much.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Were the people who thought no deal meant stay likely voters? I don't think after the referendum campaign it would be much of an issue or that leave would get an easy win(they might still win but it wouldn't be easy)

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Were the people who thought no deal meant stay likely voters? I don't think after the referendum campaign it would be much of an issue or that leave would get an easy win(they might still win but it wouldn't be easy)

I'm not sure and for some reason I can't find the poll. But I was certain it was a thing? Maybe I just imagined it. My faith in the British public is low enough that it's a possibility I dreamt it up.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...onal-hq-belgium-brexit-netherlands-ireland-eu

Even the BBC are looking at the Netherlands, I want to be Dutch :(. I'm not sure about being Belgian though as I've never been and it looks a bit boring to be honest.

It's only their international HQ but its still fucking crazy to see.

I know the poll you're on about and it's real, I just don't know if they were likely to vote or just regular numbnuts.

Last edited: