VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Here I am, got my Xcloud beta access. Log on to my phone at work, iOS via the web app. Oh look, Gears Judgement is on here.

Wow, my 360 saved loaded up from like 8 years ago... Runs pretty well too. And theres Rage 2 as well, my save I was playing a few hours ago just loads right back up. Now i'm using my Macbook to play rage 2 at work. Works well enough to get some Arks grinded through.

The ease at which you can just enjoy your games, save files, no matter where you are is incredibly convenient and really just makes gaming so much easier and more convenient.

Starting to understand MS's goal here. Not that xcloud is the primary part of gaming, but supplementary, at least for me I believe. Just makes you want to buy and play more games.

Series X, W10 and now Xcloud. Definitely played more games past 2 months than I have in the whole last year. I've knocked down my backlog by like 10 games already... So good.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yep. Just need them to really mandate cross save on PC and Xbox (and by proxy, Cloud)

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I played Banjo-Kazooie on a Tablet with Touch controls in my bed last night. Shit is crazy.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Once they upgrade to series s/x streaming for xcloud, I'll be using my phone a ton for destiny.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
It's a huge differentiator. I always buy multi-platform games on Xbox since I know that they will be playable long into the future and across generations.

Kudos to MSFT for this.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Once they upgrade to series s/x streaming for xcloud, I'll be using my phone a ton for destiny.
Yeah, definitely some latency and visual clarity issues, but for a phone its much less noticeable than on W10/my mac.

Im extremely excited to see how xsx upgrades the experience. I'm hoping for 1080p/60 streaming w/ better input latency at least

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Here here, and I'm with you that the xCloud beta really drove it home. Instantly loading up any Game Pass game via cloud with all of your saves ready to go... it's really incredible.

They learned a thing or two from Apple and it's only going to continue to serve them well.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Also having the UI being basically an Xbox is awesome.

Like you have an Xbox 360/Xbox One and Xbox Series in your hand/lap.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
A couple months ago I was looking through some old game discs and found my copy of Enchanted Arms. I completely forgot that this was a pre Dark Souls From Software title. Popped in the disc and it started downloading right away. I don't think there's any enhancements besides loading time, but it found my save file from October 2006 from the cloud and I was able to continue from that point, which is just bonkers. Not that I remembered how to play the game at all, lol.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Just need them to really mandate cross save on PC and Xbox (and by proxy, Cloud)

On all first party stuff going forward absolutely. On third party stuff they've licensed for GamePass it is nice, but limiting yourself to games with cross save really limits what you can license. The workaround since xCloud now runs on PC web browsers would be to just play the xCloud version on your PC if cross save with your Xbox is that important. Currently, and at least for awhile, all the xCloud games ARE the console versions so the saves will definitely work with your console.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I recently had the urge to play Yakuza 0 again; I had beat the game 2-3 times in the past few years but I told myself this would finally be the time I 100% it and get all the achievements. Of course I stopped playing halfway through because Game Pass makes my backlog constantly explode.

So, here I am booting up Yakuza 0 like I said and somehow the game was still in Quick Resume, like 5+ months later and I'm not even in the same state I was when I last played it. I played tons of games since then and it was still suspended in the background. It booted up in a few seconds and was right where I left off.

I truly feel that this is what it feels like to be next gen.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I recently had the urge to play Yakuza 0 again; I had beat the game 2-3 times in the past few years but I told myself this would finally be the time I 100% it and get all the achievements. Of course I stopped playing halfway through because Game Pass makes my backlog constantly explode.

So, here I am booting up Yakuza 0 like I said and somehow the game was still in Quick Resume, like 5+ months later and I'm not even in the same state I was when I last played it. I played tons of games since then and it was still suspended in the background. It booted up in a few seconds and was right where I left off.

I truly feel that this is what it feels like to be next gen.
Thats insane lmfao

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Same, the barrier to entry is so low. I have no guilt from buying tons of games never playing them. Now the microsoft rewards app is like "maybe you should play this game for points" and I'm like hey sure. Sometimes I play for just enough to get the quest, other times I fall in love and finish the game.

It makes going back to the old ways hard as hell. Feels stupid.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I do prefer Xbox's approach to future-proofing their customer's games, and in a similar manner to Steam, taking them all with you to future Xbox hardware (and other hardware platforms for that matter). Makes going all digital so much more worth it.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Yeah, definitely some latency and visual clarity issues, but for a phone its much less noticeable than on W10/my mac.

Im extremely excited to see how xsx upgrades the experience. I'm hoping for 1080p/60 streaming w/ better input latency at least
Yeah all these 60fps updates make me excited for xclouds future.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Tell me about it, lol. Like I went through almost every other Yakuza including the new one since then, which includes 2 old ones I've never played before in my life, and I randomly go back and it's still running. I mean I knew Quick Resume works if you unplug your console but this completely caught me off guard. I'm not in the Alpha ring so I don't have the update to see what games you have in Quick Resume but I'm pretty sure I have like 10-12 on there, lmao

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
This is my experience as well. Played MLB, Kingdom Hearts iii, outriders on series x and minecraft dungeons on xcloud today, which is my gaming day.

I think this gen will absolutely showcase a difference in philosophies between the two companies. PlayStation the place to play tailored experiences, one game at a time, while Xbox will be all about multiple games and multiple ways to play.

I do find it difficult to get back to God of War on my ps5 but I need to

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
tenor.gif

Sep 7, 2020
This is my experience as well. Played MLB, Kingdom Hearts iii, outriders on series x and minecraft dungeons on xcloud today, which is my gaming day.

I think this gen will absolutely showcase a difference in philosophies between the two companies. PlayStation the place to play tailored experiences, one game at a time, while Xbox will be all about multiple games and multiple ways to play.

I do find it difficult to get back to God of War on my ps5 but I need to
This is a great synopsis. I think they both offer different experience but great in their own merits. What a time to be gamers, especially with E3 around the corner!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the ease of getting into games, even from 8 years ago (Mass Effect 3 for instance) is a game changer. Not having to worry about the small print when it comes to versions thanks to Smart Delivery, not have to be concerned about limits or fees when it comes to saves, be able to extend my GP sessions with PC users (and knowing the future will always include PC friends) , this level of comfort and convenience is a brilliant thing. Then all of that is accessible without an Xbox if I'm away from my home. Just so ahead of anything else on consoles that it's inconceivable to step outside of it.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Yeah, I agree. It's so seamless it's impressive.

Same thing for cloud saves and how convenient they are. It was a welcome surprise booting up Midnight Club LA back when it got added to Xbox One BC and finding out my savegame from 2010 was still there.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I downloaded Skyrim on a lark because it went to GamePass and I was back in my old saves almost immediately. They've done a really job of making the console as headache-free as possible.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Expanding the Xbox ecosystem to more than just a console is one of the best decisions they've ever made.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I might skip on the Series X this gen (if a new KI isn't in the works) and sign up for XCloud/Game Pass from time to time if the app comes to Apple TV or my TV's app store. Sounds like a dope way to play a game or two.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
I really wish the input delay could be addressed though.

It's fine for games that are largely turn-based or menu-driven, but for anything fast-paced or action-oriented, even small delays are really easy to notice, and can easily turn the experience sour.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I feel like the only way you are all in on this philosophy is obviously if you like to jump between games and don't care where you can play them. I never play more than one game at a time and I never sacrifice quality for convenience. For a while I tried to get in on the Vita remote play thing but then I was like - why am I doing this? If I have time to play a game I want to sit down put my headphones on and play it on a big screen.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Their PC store is shit like its been forever what changed is their approach to gaming. Backwards compatibility AND the biggest reason being Xbox Gamepass for Console AND Cloud and now you can play F2P titles on xbox for FREE without paying for Gold. For the economic user its best to get an xbox series S or X + gamepass and you're set for the whole console generation.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
A ton of planning, resources, and effort went into making this work and feel invisible.
Yup. It's pretty magical, parts of it feel too good to be true tbh. Game Pass, Back Compat, Quick Resume, Smart Delivery, the list goes on. Even small Features like being able to install games you don't own from your phone, if you know you're going to pick a game up soon or borrow it from a friend and just want to get installs and patches out of the way. A laundry list of well thought out, cohesive features that make the entire platform a dream to use.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
I've primarily been a PC gamer for the past few years, mostly sticking to Playstation and Nintendo stuff for exclusives. Had an Xbox One for a little while and ended up selling it due to lack of use.

Fast forward to now - bought an XSX on a whim due to the All Access plan and using Game Pass on PC...and I can't pull myself away from it.

The convenience level is just through the roof. Games perform great, load times are non-existent, and the Game Pass selection is truly too good to be true.

I haven't delved into Xcloud yet, but like OP said, I'm already playing more games than ever just due to ease of use. I never realized how much more I could enjoy playing certain games with an FPS boost/reduced load times.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
That sounds really, really cool.

While it isn't necessarily for me, I spent 3 years living in Japan and can absolutely see this taking the Japanese market by storm.

Additionally, as EVs advance further and further, I can absolutely see a bundled car service for kids and the passenger.

Travel a lot via plane? Why not log into your xCloud account and request a controller from the flight attendant.

Really cool stuff that has massive market potential.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
Yeah, I agree. It's so seamless it's impressive.

Same thing for cloud saves and how convenient they are. It was a welcome surprise booting up Midnight Club LA back when it got added to Xbox One BC and finding out my savegame from 2010 was still there.

I decided to play that game when I got my series X. I was pleased to see that not only was I getting notably faster loading times, but also quick resume and Auto HDR.

On a game that came out in 2008.

May 25, 2019
London
I was so frustrated with Microsoft's first party output and general direction that I became almost exclusively PC in 2011, with just Playstations for exclusives. But since the holidays I have played my XSX far more than anything else. Quick Resume is a killer app for me, love the fact that I can drop a game at a moment's notice when family obligations pop up.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I might skip on the Series X this gen (if a new KI isn't in the works) and sign up for XCloud/Game Pass from time to time if the app comes to Apple TV or my TV's app store. Sounds like a dope way to play a game or two.
Ms is making it easier to actually not buy their hardware and it's wonderful. I'm sure they don't mind; they still probably end up making more money in the long run.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the only way you are all in on this philosophy is obviously if you like to jump between games and don't care where you can play them. I never play more than one game at a time and I never sacrifice quality for convenience. For a while I tried to get in on the Vita remote play thing but then I was like - why am I doing this? If I have time to play a game I want to sit down put my headphones on and play it on a big screen.
Dont get me wrong. Big games deserve the best of the best.

Like I aint playing through a few hours of RE Village on Xcloud. That deserves my LG C9, Dolby Atmos, the works. This is just a nice way to grind through some games where its not overtly hindered by the drop in quality.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
On all first party stuff going forward absolutely. On third party stuff they've licensed for GamePass it is nice, but limiting yourself to games with cross save really limits what you can license. The workaround since xCloud now runs on PC web browsers would be to just play the xCloud version on your PC if cross save with your Xbox is that important. Currently, and at least for awhile, all the xCloud games ARE the console versions so the saves will definitely work with your console.
Yeah, I know cloud is console so the saves just work, but it's a bit annoying I can't play Dishonored on Xbox and then continue on PC seamlessly. Or try something third party on PC and continue on Xbox back at my Parents'.

It's currently limited to Play Anywhere which requires a shared license (one purchase). I think that's dissuading third parties. Decoupling saves would be huge. Idk the technicality involved, but I would think save data is pretty straight forward. Especially on Windows and Xbox.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Phil's vision finally coming together. Now wait until the 1st party studios start to pump out things on a monthly basis. It's a beautiful turnaround from the disaster of the xbo early years

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Single player games with quick resume is insane. I'm playing crash 3 then bam I'm playing Spyro, then bam I'm on AC Valhalla while also playing halo 3s campaign alternating between them all including even more games. Only quick resume disabled game that bothers me is 2k21 because they need you to see their bullshit vc deals.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
If Xcloud really is foolproof, I'll probably upgrade to Ultimate to try it out. Just need an Xbox controller or any game pad to play it. I don't have an Xbox console (only have space for one and I choose PlayStation), but xcloud could be a good alternative until I can get an Xbox.

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
If Xcloud really is foolproof, I'll probably upgrade to Ultimate to try it out. Just need an Xbox controller or any game pad to play it. I don't have an Xbox console (only have space for one and I choose PlayStation), but xcloud could be a good alternative until I can get an Xbox.
Thought you could use your PS joystick for Xcloud, if I'm not wrong

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The first time I played Killer instinct on my PC, shut it down and walked over to my TV to play it on my Xbox (several years ago), and my save file instantly transitioned and just worked, play anywhere games (and now Smart Delivery games), became my favorite place to play. It has always just slightly sucked that the game selection was limited. Microsoft's cloud save system is really second to none. Only steam comes close.

I really hope that with Microsoft finally allowing non-UWP apps onto the Microsoft store on PC, and with the store re-write, that we just see more and more games coming to the platform and supporting cross-save, and cross-play.

I think it would be an amazing future if Play Anywhere/ Smart delivery systems where you buy a game once and play it across any device became the standard. This to me is entirely worth supporting Game Pass for.

Imagine if Sony and Nintendo hopped on board, and we could finally play thier games on a PC with any videocard and at any resolution? That would be incredible, especially if we could then stream the same games to any device, or pick up our 4k Switch or PS6 and keep playing the same game on our TV.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
So interesting reading all the impressions here. Era has every combination of player type. Those who prefer Xbox, those who prefer Xbox/PC + xCloud, those who prefer PC, and even some xCloud only gamers. Truly neat to see Phil's vision in action. The ecosystem does cater to how the player wishes to play.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Dont get me wrong. Big games deserve the best of the best.

Like I aint playing through a few hours of RE Village on Xcloud. That deserves my LG C9, Dolby Atmos, the works. This is just a nice way to grind through some games where its not overtly hindered by the drop in quality.

Yeah I totally get you. A lot of my family play Destiny and I swear by now I'm shocked not to see them grinding away on an Apple Watch.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
If they can finally get their in house exclusives in order they'd be unstoppable I think, and this from a long time PS fan. I'm impressed with what Xbox has done, and kudos for fully supporting the PC which was a pretty big gamble that's paying off big time